HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Unofficial Trade Rumor/Proposal Thread | Part VIII/Leafs Interested In Gagner?

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
PuckNut

vCash: 500
Thinking further, what kind of message about winning would the Jets be sending to their fans if they offer sheeted Doughty. They don't necessarily need him with a pretty solid blue line at the moment though.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
Bubble teams in regards to willingess to spend right now may be NYI and Carolina. The only realistic options would be Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Ottawa. I doubt St. Louis or Colorado would bother paying that price. Both have pretty good defence as it is.
the NYI make the most sense IMO. With Doughty they're a playoff team.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:07 PM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
the NYI make the most sense IMO. With Doughty they're a playoff team.
True, but they are not doing well financially. I think Wang is going to try to real in the ridiculous spending in case he decides to sell the team, which is a realistic scenario should they not get the new arena.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
oilers92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
So far the trade has worked for Toronto, since Seguin and Hamilton have yet to hit Kessel's level....which is a 25 year old 30-40g scorer. Now, it is probable that Boston will win the deal pretty cleanly....but again...hasn't happened yet.
never truly get that kessel is a 40 goal scorer having never been there but gagner called a 50 point player is outrageous and down right disrespectful to actual hockey players...just seems odd

Old
09-23-2011, 01:25 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 140
You know we've seen a few times where it's sad DL will match this offer or that offer, but I think the real key here is what damage is done? What good is matching a deal that you said you wouldn't give in the first place.

Have to think DL is shopping Doughty to some degree.

Judging where LA is right now I don't think DL can afford to take picks anyway. He is going to have to try get some sort of d-man out of the deal. Even if it's not someone as good as Doughty.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
LA would gladly match and send Tambo a thank you note for the favor.

An offersheet that doesnt get LA 4 1st would instantly be matched.. 8Mx 5yrs might work.
TSN ran a story that the Kings do not want to pay him more than Kopitar, which is $6.8MM.

That would probably be easier to do cap-wise if it weren't for the Horcoffian albatross around the team's neck.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:35 PM
nsoilfan

if the oilers are trying to package a forward and a d prospect for a top 4 d man, who do you think it is that goes and what D do you think we get back.

players that are not going anywhere:
hall
RNH
Eberle
PRV
vets that wont be moved:
Horcoff
smyth
belanger
Eager
jones

that leaves
omark
hemsky
gag

defencive prospects:
petry
plante
chorney

im not worred about the defencive prospects but the three names above at the forward position should get us back a pretty good return i would think.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Soundwave

Oilers would not offer sheet because LA could revenge offer sheet Hall/Eberle/RNH in a couple of years.

If the situation gets uglier, what they might do is offer L.A. a package of players like Whitney + MPS + EDM 1st 2012, which in effect would be like an offer sheet, except L.A. gets immediate help.

Not saying the Oilers would even go there though.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Oilers would not offer sheet because LA could revenge offer sheet Hall/Eberle/RNH in a couple of years.

If the situation gets uglier, what they might do is offer L.A. a package of players like Whitney + MPS + EDM 1st 2012, which in effect would be like an offer sheet, except L.A. gets immediate help.

Not saying the Oilers would even go there though.
No GM operates under revenge.

Old
09-23-2011, 02:56 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
never truly get that kessel is a 40 goal scorer having never been there but gagner called a 50 point player is outrageous and down right disrespectful to actual hockey players...just seems odd
I guess I will clarify that when I typed "30-40" I did not mean "40". I should add that "30-40" also does not mean "thirty minus forty" or "negative ten".

Old
09-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
You know i would've said Nashville should pursue him if questions about Weber's long term position on that club is questionable, but their front office is entirely too nice to try something like that.

I have my doubts the Jets do something that ballsy right off the bat. The first 2-3 seasons will be trying to establish their market, and that involves financially. I doubt they want to pony up the money for Doughty just yet.

Im not sure who would do it. It wouldn't shock me to see a team like St. Louis try pull something. Adding doughty to their core could give them an edge in a very tight central division. They have prospects if trades are needed, also young D-man to trade, they also have the cap space for Doughty's salary, weather it be through trade then contract or offersheet.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:40 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
No smart GM operates under revenge.
Corrected. With DL I could see spite being a motivating factor for him. But I still don't care. We can always try to sign our kids before they hit RFA or just match what is given to them. I don't see DL's potential revenge as a big threat

Old
09-23-2011, 03:43 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
From that list, I think you can eliminate Phoenix, Florida, Nashville and Dallas.
I would think the Isles as well.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Phaedrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Corrected. With DL I could see spite being a motivating factor for him. But I still don't care. We can always try to sign our kids before they hit RFA or just match what is given to them. I don't see DL's potential revenge as a big threat
I don't think you had to make the correction... I think the threat of offer sheets is more hot air than anything else; and as you suggest, signing Hall and company before they hit RFA is the easiest solution.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, the fact that with Doughty and the added experience of Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, etc., and a returning and seemingly reinvigorated Smyth, the Oilers are likely not a lottery team... that combined with the likelihood of DL asking for at least one of the young and promising players in a trade for Doughty, suggests - to me at least - that an offer sheet would be the way to go.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:08 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If we successfully offer-sheet Doughty, DL won't be the GM anymore when our kids are RFAs. Ta-da! No fear of retribution.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:10 PM
ponokanocker

I would think a 5 year $37.5M offer would entice him. Stamkos just signed the exact same contract and is considered a super star. Maybe he is just putting himself on par with Stamkos and DL isn't.
This would keep the compensation down and you get the elite talent. If DL wants to get all pissy over someone offering him that contract, too bad for him.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:13 PM
outKast*

If you were Nashville, why wouldn't you do this?

To Nashville:

Drewart Doughty

To LA Kings

Ryan Suter, Colin Wilson, 2nd round pick

Now really...

Nashville D Corps:

Weber Laakso
Doughty Blum
Sloan Klein
extra: Boulion

WOW

Old
09-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Pain View Post
If you were Nashville, why wouldn't you do this?

To Nashville:

Drewart Doughty

To LA Kings

Ryan Suter, Colin Wilson, 2nd round pick

Now really...

Nashville D Corps:

Weber Laakso
Doughty Blum
Sloan Klien
extra: Boulion

WOW
No because Suter > Weber.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
No because Suter > Weber.
But Doughty>Suter walking away due to money.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:18 PM
joestevens29

This Doughty thing really could be the make it or break it move for DL.

Sure it's fine and dandy that he is sticking to his guns, but it's gone to be his butt when his theory of not paying anyone more than Kopitar costs him the playoffs.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:40 PM
ponokanocker

With Nashville having a self imposed cap that is much lower than the actual cap, I highly doubt they try to sign another player to high $$'s. That is too much money tied up in a couple of players.

DL is looking terrible here while Yzerman looks like the smart man and just giving his young player the money. Will Doughty want out of LA over all of this if DL is still the GM?

Old
09-23-2011, 05:42 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
I'd pretty sure I'd stab someone in the eye if the Oilers gave up four 1sts for Doughty and they still finished last overall and lost out on Yakupov.

Saying that... I can see why getting Doughty on the Oilers looks like a good move... especially seeing the state of the current D-core. Doughty makes that scrambled eggs group of dmen look a whole lot better especially with the cloud over Whitney's health status going forward.

Personally though... I see giving up 4 1st rounders for a player (even one as good as Doughty) as being too risky. The last 4 1st rounders for the Oilers were Eberle/MPS/Hall/RNH. Would you give up those 4 for Doughty? I wouldn't.

I know the argument is that with Doughty in the lineup, this team becomes a contender (or at least much better) and those 1st rounders would likely be mid to late first rounders in 3-4 years time... but even so there are no guarantees with Doughty either. He could be a legitimate dominating franchise dman or he could become a more "average" looking #1 dman like he looked last year (although obviously that would still be much better than anything the Oilers have now).

The strongest asset of the Oilers organization (by far) seems to be their drafting abilities so giving up shots at 4 1st rounders seems like kicking yourself in the nuts. The Magnificent ******* would effectively be neutered and his job would be to find gems in the 2nd-6th rounds over the next 4 years. Obviously there are some great players each year from outside the top 30 picks... BUT there are definitely far fewer sure things in those later rounds.

I can see why some would say we already have enough solid prospects and it's time to stop piling up the "potential" and actually start putting a decent product on the ice... ie Doughty. Personally though I think if the Oilers are committed to rebuilding through the draft and developing from within... signing Doughty, while very tempting... would not be a prudent strategy and would throw off the rebuild plan. This upcoming draft has plenty of solid prospects and I think a better strategy for the Oilers is working on a way to get an additional 1st rounder in the upcoming draft.

I would leave offer sheets and/or signing of high profile UFA's for when the oilers are on the brink of contending... say 2 years down the line... instead of when they are still basement dwellers.

Old
09-23-2011, 05:42 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

So much for depth
Horcoff and Jones for Colby Robak and a 2nd round pick.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Gagner-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Belanger-Hartikainen
Eager-Brule-Omark
Hordichuk, Petrell

Whitney-Peckham
Sutton-Gilbert
Barker-Smid
Tulupov

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

Old
09-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
So much for depth
Horcoff and Jones for Colby Robak and a 2nd round pick.

Hall-RNH-Hemsky
Smyth-Gagner-Eberle
Pajaarvi-Belanger-Hartikainen
Eager-Brule-Omark
Hordichuk, Petrell

Whitney-Peckham
Sutton-Gilbert
Barker-Smid
Tulupov

Khabibulin
Dubnyk

mmmyeah no thanks. We need D who play on the right, not left. Also we need D who don't stop the opposition by making them laugh.

Old
09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post

mmmyeah no thanks. We need D who play on the right, not left. Also we need D who don't stop the opposition by making them laugh.
yes but we could flip robak to winnipeg for postma and some delicious bison burgers.

Closed Thread