HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shootouts: Quantifying our misery

Old
02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
BernieParent

vCash: 500
Shootouts: Quantifying our misery

How bad are the Flyers in shootouts? I took a look at the NHL shootout numbers, and put together the shooting % with the SV% to give a complete picture for each team on how well they compete in both aspects. The best team overall was Colorado (60%+81.8% = 141.8), followed by NJ (134.8) and Detroit (129.4). The Flyers are at #28 (76.2), ahead of only Montreal (67.6) and Carolina (62.2).

Shooting is mediocre, with Flyers skaters scoring on exactly 1 in every 3 attempts; league average is 32.4%. However, their G ranks dead last at 42.9% (league average 66.6%). That, ladies and gentlemen, is a pee-poor combination of 'skills'.

I wanted to look at these numbers expecting to justify a plea to Laviolette et al to practice this exercise, and I think it's high time for this team to take the SO more seriously to avoid tossing away valuable points during the regular season; however, I am at a loss (so to speak) to identify what this team can do to even make it to middle of the pack on overall success.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Flyerfan4life

from what i understand we were tied for worst in the league with Florida.

but we beat Florida recently in the SO so they have that title now..

but second worst is hardly something to be excited about, hahah

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:59 AM
BernieParent

I'm not sure how Florida was ranked as the worst SO team. Carolina has the worst record (0-4), and the Flyers are among 5 teams to have only won 1. Florida is 3-6.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
ORYX

I guess its a good thing we don't need to worry about this in the playoffs then....

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
The Flyers have never cared about the SO. doesnt matter who the coach is.
they will take the point and be happy. if they happen to win the extra point its a bonus to them.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:34 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

They explicitly said they don't practice it. The shooting sessions with the goaltenders they said is enough for them.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

If you have time/feel like doing it, you should do this for every year since the lockout. That way we can see how bad we actually suck at them.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:41 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I'm not sure how Florida was ranked as the worst SO team. Carolina has the worst record (0-4), and the Flyers are among 5 teams to have only won 1. Florida is 3-6.
Because since its been implemented we have the worst record in the shootout then any other team not just this year over all. We are something like 20-40 in the shootout. Florida is something like 27-45

Edit: Found a link on NHL.com that has all these stats. Flyers are 20-38 http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...amCareerTotals

Last edited by PALE PWNR: 02-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Bryz's fault.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
My question is: why do we care?

The Flyers are a dominant team in the East. They are going to be in the playoffs. It might matter for seeding, but we are going to have to beat the Rangers and Bruins to get to the goal anyway. We are a pretty good road team, so does it matter where game 7 is?

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post

The Flyers are a dominant team in the East. They are going to be in the playoffs. It might matter for seeding, but we are going to have to beat the Rangers and Bruins to get to the goal anyway. We are a pretty good road team, so does it matter where game 7 is?
ummm cuz every one of those lost single points could make or break who we seed against..

i'd rather at leasst pick up a few SO points over a season thx..

being dead last is embaressing, esp. if its season after season.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
ummm cuz every one of those lost single points could make or break who we seed against..

i'd rather at leasst pick up a few SO points over a season thx..

being dead last is embaressing, esp. if its season after season.
Being 6th will be much better than 4th or 5th in the East this year.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM
MountainHawk

Plus this way we win any tiebreakers.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Bryzgalov has 2 saves on 8 shots which puts him at a 25% save percentage. The only goalie as bad is Alex Auld with 1 save in 4 shots for the same percentage. These two are dead last in shoot out save percentage at 56th in the league.

Bobrovsky is at 25th with 6 SA, 4 saves.

I think they should take out Bryz and put in Bob for shootouts.

I'd also advocate getting a player who only does shootouts. Can it be worse than having Shelley on the roster? I'd keep a guy who excels at shootouts; get some youtube shootout freak.

I am so tired of being so bad at the shootout.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:42 PM
Eric Lindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
If you have time/feel like doing it, you should do this for every year since the lockout. That way we can see how bad we actually suck at them.
I posted this earlier today on the main board but felt it's relevant here too. This is from philly.com... not surprisingly, Flyers are the worst team all-time in the shootout. Depressingly, the other 4 teams in our division (who we play the most) make up 4 of the top 7 teams in the league all-time. A bad combination for us.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...Again0201.html

Eric Lindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:

I'd rather go through the Rangers or the Bruins, rather than the Rangers and the Bruins.

Every point matters; it's a shame the team has been awful in the shootout since it began.

02-01-2012, 07:33 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'd rather go through the Rangers or the Bruins, rather than the Rangers and the Bruins.

Every point matters; it's a shame the team has been awful in the shootout since it began.
You are going to have to go through both unless we win the conference.

If we are the 4/5, then we face the 2 seed in the second round and the 1 seed in the CF.

If we are the 2, then we will face the 4/5 seed Rangers in the 2nd round (Boston will be facing whoever beats the SE champ as the 6 seed), then the Bruins.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
You are going to have to go through both unless we win the conference.

If we are the 4/5, then we face the 2 seed in the second round and the 1 seed in the CF.

If we are the 2, then we will face the 4/5 seed Rangers in the 2nd round (Boston will be facing whoever beats the SE champ as the 6 seed), then the Bruins.
Oh, I know... winning a shootout now and again would go a long way towards winning the conference, especially since the Rangers haven't had much success in shootouts this year. The top seed in the conference isn't beyond reach.

I don't know why you think the Southeast winner is an automatic first round loser, though that's a different argument altogether.

Edit: and then the Rangers go ahead and win themselves a shootout...

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-01-2012 at 09:48 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Because since its been implemented we have the worst record in the shootout then any other team not just this year over all. We are something like 20-40 in the shootout. Florida is something like 27-45

Edit: Found a link on NHL.com that has all these stats. Flyers are 20-38 http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstats...amCareerTotals
Thanks for your explanation and your detective work.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:54 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

I can't stand the shootout and I'm somewhat glad we don't get coaches that go nuts about them and spend practice time actually trying them out. Until the playoffs start using the shootout to determine games (lets hope this never happens), I'll just accept the loser point and move on.

Philadelphia Ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:34 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Thanks for your explanation and your detective work.
Ugh no thanks is needed, those numbers are sickening and I wish they would go away. It sucks even worse that new jersey is #1 followed by new York and pitt

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Ugh no thanks is needed, those numbers are sickening and I wish they would go away. It sucks even worse that new jersey is #1 followed by new York and pitt
That it does. I still appreciate your help. It's a character flaw of mine that I can't just be unhappy; I need some measurement to know how unhappy I am. So it's these statistics or the DMS-IV, I guess.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:51 AM
ICAPNASTYI

vCash: 50
Shortly after Flyers Nation posted on twitter sarcastically blaming Bryzgalov for the shootout loss on Tuesday saying "Bryz ******* sucked tonight. The least he could do was score a shootout goal but he didn't. Bryz you suck. All your fault Bryz." It got me thinking, is it legal for a team to use a goalie as a shooter? I looked up the shootout rules on NHL.com and if I understood correctly it is legal for a team to use a goalie as a shooter.

That said, put Bryz in net and use Bob as the first shooter. The opposing team will either be in shock or be to busy laughing to be a threat, problem solved.

ICAPNASTYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Rangers win 1-0 in shootout

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:18 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICAPNASTYI View Post
Shortly after Flyers Nation posted on twitter sarcastically blaming Bryzgalov for the shootout loss on Tuesday saying "Bryz ******* sucked tonight. The least he could do was score a shootout goal but he didn't. Bryz you suck. All your fault Bryz." It got me thinking, is it legal for a team to use a goalie as a shooter? I looked up the shootout rules on NHL.com and if I understood correctly it is legal for a team to use a goalie as a shooter.

That said, put Bryz in net and use Bob as the first shooter. The opposing team will either be in shock or be to busy laughing to be a threat, problem solved.
That would only work if Bob could skate back and help Bryz against the opposing shooter.