HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu NHL Ready?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2011, 08:54 AM
  #176
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../121722/public

I really like this quick article by Renaud Lavoie on Beaulieu. Basically, Beaulieu as had a super fast progression in the past 3 years (kind of like Subban) going from a 5'8" 15 year old kid that was a 4th round pick in Juniors (was not seen as a potential NHLer) to a first round pick that is a very promising kid.

He keeps making huge jumps every year and every summer due to his dedication and I would not be surprised that he shows up at next year's camp and forces management to keep him. Worse case, I call up during the year.

This kid could end up being a steal at number 17

Subban76 is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 10:06 AM
  #177
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
He's definitely not ready, but this exposure (esp tonight against Boston) is great for him. Needs more marinating and seasoning. Kinda like steak. I think I'm just hungry

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
  #178
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,649
vCash: 500
I've watched bits and pieces of a couple games. Beaulieu has mostly looked good, but made a few "junior" type passes, which would start getting picked off in the regular season once scouts had a chance to look at him. I'm sure he'd adjust as well.

I don't think he'll make the team. If he does it will only be for the minimum before he has to be sent back.

Why?

In both games he's played he'd been in the top pairing and given those type of minutes. IF he were to make the team he's not ready for those type of NHL minutes so would likely get 12-15 per game. I'm sure we all agree this kid needs to get used to playing big minutes to progress to where he should be in 3-4 years.

If he stays up he won't be on the WJ team, and again, I think we can all agree that's a valuable learning ground for a young players development.

He needs to get bigger. He'll get pushed around pretty easy with his current physique. Give him a couple years to bulk up.

We're already deep at D and for him to play means someone has to go.

The Lats factor. Players who can make the jump to the NHL in their draft year and be effective right away are rare and don't get get drafted at #17. Lats made the jump in his 2nd year after 2 great camps and we all know how that ended. Lets give him some time to mature. I like the model used with PK, that's turned out pretty good.

habfaninvictoria is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
  #179
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I've watched bits and pieces of a couple games. Beaulieu has mostly looked good, but made a few "junior" type passes, which would start getting picked off in the regular season once scouts had a chance to look at him. I'm sure he'd adjust as well.

I don't think he'll make the team. If he does it will only be for the minimum before he has to be sent back.

Why?

In both games he's played he'd been in the top pairing and given those type of minutes. IF he were to make the team he's not ready for those type of NHL minutes so would likely get 12-15 per game. I'm sure we all agree this kid needs to get used to playing big minutes to progress to where he should be in 3-4 years.

If he stays up he won't be on the WJ team, and again, I think we can all agree that's a valuable learning ground for a young players development.

He needs to get bigger. He'll get pushed around pretty easy with his current physique. Give him a couple years to bulk up.We're already deep at D and for him to play means someone has to go.

The Lats factor. Players who can make the jump to the NHL in their draft year and be effective right away are rare and don't get get drafted at #17. Lats made the jump in his 2nd year after 2 great camps and we all know how that ended. Lets give him some time to mature. I like the model used with PK, that's turned out pretty good.
That's my main concern. He is 6'3'' (confirmed by Renaud Lavoie who spoke to him and proven by the fact that he looks taller than most players on the ice) but only 180-185 lbs. Add an extra 20 lbs in the next 2 years and this kid could be a complete package monster type of Dman.

Subban76 is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
  #180
Kovatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Personally, I think Gallagher is closer to being "NHL Ready". Obviously, Beaulieu has more upside, but I think the former can really help our team esp in a third line role. If Eller or Desharnais (one of which will be forced to play the wing) are not ready for the start of the season why not have have Gallagher play as a third line winger for 9 games before having to be sent to the juniors.

In Beaulieu's case I think we are two seasons away from seeing him in a Hab uniform. We already have Subban who is high risk/ high reward, and PK is still learning when and when not to take risks. We can't have Beaulieu going through the same growing pains at the same time; that will hurt the team. It's so silly that he is not allowed to play in the AHL. What is the exact rule with that anyway.

Kovatar is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
  #181
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
Personally, I think Gallagher is closer to being "NHL Ready". Obviously, Beaulieu has more upside, but I think the former can really help our team esp in a third line role. If Eller or Desharnais (one of which will be forced to play the wing) are not ready for the start of the season why not have have Gallagher play as a third line winger for 9 games before having to be sent to the juniors.

In Beaulieu's case I think we are two seasons away from seeing him in a Hab uniform. We already have Subban who is high risk/ high reward, and PK is still learning when and when not to take risks. We can't have Beaulieu going through the same growing pains at the same time; that will hurt the team. It's so silly that he is not allowed to play in the AHL. What is the exact rule with that anyway.
Kids drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHl until they are 20 years old. Only the ones drafted out of the CHL. Kids picked out of any other program can play in the AHL before they are 20. This rule is to prevent all the best CHL kids to go to the AHL thus leaving the CHL with a lot less talent.

Subban76 is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 10:50 AM
  #182
Kovatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Kids drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHl until they are 20 years old. Only the ones drafted out of the CHL. Kids picked out of any other program can play in the AHL before they are 20. This rule is to prevent all the best CHL kids to go to the AHL thus leaving the CHL with a lot less talent.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Kovatar is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 12:11 PM
  #183
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,256
vCash: 500
The kid does seem close to making it, but they will develop him as they did PK, which means back to the Q, and then next year Hamilton, and then the big show in 2 years... Sound about right?

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 12:52 PM
  #184
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The kid does seem close to making it, but they will develop him as they did PK, which means back to the Q, and then next year Hamilton, and then the big show in 2 years... Sound about right?
It's exactly what I expect out of him, unless he completely dominates next year's camp, which is a posibility.

Subban76 is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
  #185
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
It's exactly what I expect out of him, unless he completely dominates next year's camp, which is a posibility.
Next year, no Spacek and no Gill (, maybe no Markov and no Gorges too....()

There will be a place for him next fall. I want him to dominate in the Q and play at the World Juniors, and hopefully play in the next Memorial Cup too.

habitue* is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 01:11 PM
  #186
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Next year, no Spacek and no Gill (, maybe no Markov and no Gorges too....()

There will be a place for him next fall. I want him to dominate in the Q and play at the World Juniors, and hopefully play in the next Memorial Cup too.
Markov is signed 3 years and Gorges is Restricted. Gill and Spacek IMO will be gone and 2 spots should be available. Kid looks great but there is no point in rushing him, if he is ready great, if not than a year of AHL for him won't do him bad

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 01:31 PM
  #187
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Markov is signed 3 years and Gorges is Restricted. Gill and Spacek IMO will be gone and 2 spots should be available. Kid looks great but there is no point in rushing him, if he is ready great, if not than a year of AHL for him won't do him bad
Gorges is UFA next year I believe.

googlymoogly is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 01:40 PM
  #188
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Kids drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHl until they are 20 years old. Only the ones drafted out of the CHL. Kids picked out of any other program can play in the AHL before they are 20. This rule is to prevent all the best CHL kids to go to the AHL thus leaving the CHL with a lot less talent.
Seriously though what I don't get is why they have such a rule, it's lame.

neofury* is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
  #189
Celtic Cross
Registered User
 
Celtic Cross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hamilton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Give him at least 1 year in Hamilton so he can turn pro in ahl before stepping into the big league

Celtic Cross is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:14 PM
  #190
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
Give him at least 1 year in Hamilton so he can turn pro in ahl before stepping into the big league
If you want to send him to Hamilton you'll have to wait two years. Players coming out of the CHL can't play in the AHL before they're 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Seriously though what I don't get is why they have such a rule, it's lame.
Probably to keep the good kids in the CHL as long as possible. Higher quality hockey=more people coming to games=more $$$$.


Last edited by Mike8: 09-25-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: merge
WeeBey is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:20 PM
  #191
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Seriously though what I don't get is why they have such a rule, it's lame.
No, it's smart. If the player is really too good for the minors then stick him in your NHL lineup. If he isn't, another season will only give him the chance to get stronger and become more mature in his decisions: 2 essential ingredients in turning pro.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
  #192
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No, it's smart. If the player is really too good for the minors then stick him in your NHL lineup. If he isn't, another season will only give him the chance to get stronger and become more mature in his decisions: 2 essential ingredients in turning pro.
Then you run the risk of rushing a player and ruining his development. A player should be able to take as long he needs at a level he's comfortable with.

WeeBey is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:27 PM
  #193
Montreal Typical
Registered User
 
Montreal Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
If you want to send him to Hamilton you'll have to wait two years. Players coming out of the CHL can't play in the AHL before they're 20.
Beaulieu was born in 1992. He will be eligible to play in the AHL next season.

Montreal Typical is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:27 PM
  #194
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,764
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Seriously though what I don't get is why they have such a rule, it's lame.
Unless you want CHL to be a fail of a development league, keeping more talent there isn't always a bad thing. They protect their investments as they should.

LyricalLyricist is online now  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
  #195
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Beaulieu was born in 1992. He will be eligible to play in the AHL next season.
He won't be 20 until December of next year. Regardless, that doesn't solve the problem of where to put him right now.

WeeBey is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:32 PM
  #196
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad
 
DekeLikeYouMeanIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In space..with goats
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Then you run the risk of rushing a player and ruining his development. A player should be able to take as long he needs at a level he's comfortable with.
Hence why they stick to juniors til they're ready.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
  #197
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Hence why they stick to juniors til they're ready.
Some players are too good for the Juniors. You don't get better at anything unless you challenge/push yourself to the next level.

WeeBey is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
  #198
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
Some players are too good for the Juniors. You don't get better at anything unless you challenge/push yourself to the next level.
Thankfully, then, Beaulieu isn't one of those players who is too good for juniors.

And while I can agree with the second sentence in your post as far as the logic of it goes, I don't think that's true in reality. Can we think of any player who played a year in juniors that was an utter waste for them?

Mike8 is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
  #199
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Thankfully, then, Beaulieu isn't one of those players who is too good for juniors.

And while I can agree with the second sentence in your post as far as the logic of it goes, I don't think that's true in reality. Can we think of any player who played a year in juniors that was an utter waste for them?
Tavares ?

katatoniak is offline  
Old
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
  #200
WeeBey
Registered User
 
WeeBey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Thankfully, then, Beaulieu isn't one of those players who is too good for juniors.

And while I can agree with the second sentence in your post as far as the logic of it goes, I don't think that's true in reality. Can we think of any player who played a year in juniors that was an utter waste for them?
Well, it's impossible to say really because you never know whether or not a player has reached their potential or not. Who knows how going to the AHL or skipping right to the NHL could have affected any one player's development. I just can't imagine, say RNH gaining much from staying in the CHL. But he's probably too small for the NHL right now.

I'm not sports psychologist, I never played a particularly high level of hockey either, so I wouldn't know. It just seems like there should be a mid-level for kids looking for a challenge without getting annihilated every night in the NHL.

WeeBey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.