HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Nathan Beaulieu NHL Ready?

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Subban76

vCash: 500
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../121722/public

I really like this quick article by Renaud Lavoie on Beaulieu. Basically, Beaulieu as had a super fast progression in the past 3 years (kind of like Subban) going from a 5'8" 15 year old kid that was a 4th round pick in Juniors (was not seen as a potential NHLer) to a first round pick that is a very promising kid.

He keeps making huge jumps every year and every summer due to his dedication and I would not be surprised that he shows up at next year's camp and forces management to keep him. Worse case, I call up during the year.

This kid could end up being a steal at number 17

Old
09-25-2011, 10:06 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

He's definitely not ready, but this exposure (esp tonight against Boston) is great for him. Needs more marinating and seasoning. Kinda like steak. I think I'm just hungry

Old
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
habfaninvictoria

I've watched bits and pieces of a couple games. Beaulieu has mostly looked good, but made a few "junior" type passes, which would start getting picked off in the regular season once scouts had a chance to look at him. I'm sure he'd adjust as well.

I don't think he'll make the team. If he does it will only be for the minimum before he has to be sent back.

Why?

In both games he's played he'd been in the top pairing and given those type of minutes. IF he were to make the team he's not ready for those type of NHL minutes so would likely get 12-15 per game. I'm sure we all agree this kid needs to get used to playing big minutes to progress to where he should be in 3-4 years.

If he stays up he won't be on the WJ team, and again, I think we can all agree that's a valuable learning ground for a young players development.

He needs to get bigger. He'll get pushed around pretty easy with his current physique. Give him a couple years to bulk up.

We're already deep at D and for him to play means someone has to go.

The Lats factor. Players who can make the jump to the NHL in their draft year and be effective right away are rare and don't get get drafted at #17. Lats made the jump in his 2nd year after 2 great camps and we all know how that ended. Lets give him some time to mature. I like the model used with PK, that's turned out pretty good.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I've watched bits and pieces of a couple games. Beaulieu has mostly looked good, but made a few "junior" type passes, which would start getting picked off in the regular season once scouts had a chance to look at him. I'm sure he'd adjust as well.

I don't think he'll make the team. If he does it will only be for the minimum before he has to be sent back.

Why?

In both games he's played he'd been in the top pairing and given those type of minutes. IF he were to make the team he's not ready for those type of NHL minutes so would likely get 12-15 per game. I'm sure we all agree this kid needs to get used to playing big minutes to progress to where he should be in 3-4 years.

If he stays up he won't be on the WJ team, and again, I think we can all agree that's a valuable learning ground for a young players development.

He needs to get bigger. He'll get pushed around pretty easy with his current physique. Give him a couple years to bulk up.We're already deep at D and for him to play means someone has to go.

The Lats factor. Players who can make the jump to the NHL in their draft year and be effective right away are rare and don't get get drafted at #17. Lats made the jump in his 2nd year after 2 great camps and we all know how that ended. Lets give him some time to mature. I like the model used with PK, that's turned out pretty good.
That's my main concern. He is 6'3'' (confirmed by Renaud Lavoie who spoke to him and proven by the fact that he looks taller than most players on the ice) but only 180-185 lbs. Add an extra 20 lbs in the next 2 years and this kid could be a complete package monster type of Dman.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Kovatar

Personally, I think Gallagher is closer to being "NHL Ready". Obviously, Beaulieu has more upside, but I think the former can really help our team esp in a third line role. If Eller or Desharnais (one of which will be forced to play the wing) are not ready for the start of the season why not have have Gallagher play as a third line winger for 9 games before having to be sent to the juniors.

In Beaulieu's case I think we are two seasons away from seeing him in a Hab uniform. We already have Subban who is high risk/ high reward, and PK is still learning when and when not to take risks. We can't have Beaulieu going through the same growing pains at the same time; that will hurt the team. It's so silly that he is not allowed to play in the AHL. What is the exact rule with that anyway.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
Personally, I think Gallagher is closer to being "NHL Ready". Obviously, Beaulieu has more upside, but I think the former can really help our team esp in a third line role. If Eller or Desharnais (one of which will be forced to play the wing) are not ready for the start of the season why not have have Gallagher play as a third line winger for 9 games before having to be sent to the juniors.

In Beaulieu's case I think we are two seasons away from seeing him in a Hab uniform. We already have Subban who is high risk/ high reward, and PK is still learning when and when not to take risks. We can't have Beaulieu going through the same growing pains at the same time; that will hurt the team. It's so silly that he is not allowed to play in the AHL. What is the exact rule with that anyway.
Kids drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHl until they are 20 years old. Only the ones drafted out of the CHL. Kids picked out of any other program can play in the AHL before they are 20. This rule is to prevent all the best CHL kids to go to the AHL thus leaving the CHL with a lot less talent.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Kovatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Kids drafted out of the CHL can't play in the AHl until they are 20 years old. Only the ones drafted out of the CHL. Kids picked out of any other program can play in the AHL before they are 20. This rule is to prevent all the best CHL kids to go to the AHL thus leaving the CHL with a lot less talent.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:11 PM
BLONG7

The kid does seem close to making it, but they will develop him as they did PK, which means back to the Q, and then next year Hamilton, and then the big show in 2 years... Sound about right?

Old
09-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
The kid does seem close to making it, but they will develop him as they did PK, which means back to the Q, and then next year Hamilton, and then the big show in 2 years... Sound about right?
It's exactly what I expect out of him, unless he completely dominates next year's camp, which is a posibility.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:06 PM
habitue*

Quote:
It's exactly what I expect out of him, unless he completely dominates next year's camp, which is a posibility.
Next year, no Spacek and no Gill (, maybe no Markov and no Gorges too....()

There will be a place for him next fall. I want him to dominate in the Q and play at the World Juniors, and hopefully play in the next Memorial Cup too.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Next year, no Spacek and no Gill (, maybe no Markov and no Gorges too....()

There will be a place for him next fall. I want him to dominate in the Q and play at the World Juniors, and hopefully play in the next Memorial Cup too.
Markov is signed 3 years and Gorges is Restricted. Gill and Spacek IMO will be gone and 2 spots should be available. Kid looks great but there is no point in rushing him, if he is ready great, if not than a year of AHL for him won't do him bad

Old
09-25-2011, 01:31 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Markov is signed 3 years and Gorges is Restricted. Gill and Spacek IMO will be gone and 2 spots should be available. Kid looks great but there is no point in rushing him, if he is ready great, if not than a year of AHL for him won't do him bad
Gorges is UFA next year I believe.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:40 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Seriously though what I don't get is why they have such a rule, it's lame.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Celtic Cross

Give him at least 1 year in Hamilton so he can turn pro in ahl before stepping into the big league

Old
09-25-2011, 02:14 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Cross View Post
Give him at least 1 year in Hamilton so he can turn pro in ahl before stepping into the big league
If you want to send him to Hamilton you'll have to wait two years. Players coming out of the CHL can't play in the AHL before they're 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Probably to keep the good kids in the CHL as long as possible. Higher quality hockey=more people coming to games=more $$$$.

Last edited by Mike8: 09-25-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: merge
Old
09-25-2011, 02:20 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
No, it's smart. If the player is really too good for the minors then stick him in your NHL lineup. If he isn't, another season will only give him the chance to get stronger and become more mature in his decisions: 2 essential ingredients in turning pro.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:26 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
No, it's smart. If the player is really too good for the minors then stick him in your NHL lineup. If he isn't, another season will only give him the chance to get stronger and become more mature in his decisions: 2 essential ingredients in turning pro.
Then you run the risk of rushing a player and ruining his development. A player should be able to take as long he needs at a level he's comfortable with.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBey View Post
If you want to send him to Hamilton you'll have to wait two years. Players coming out of the CHL can't play in the AHL before they're 20.
Beaulieu was born in 1992. He will be eligible to play in the AHL next season.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Unless you want CHL to be a fail of a development league, keeping more talent there isn't always a bad thing. They protect their investments as they should.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Beaulieu was born in 1992. He will be eligible to play in the AHL next season.
He won't be 20 until December of next year. Regardless, that doesn't solve the problem of where to put him right now.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:32 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Then you run the risk of rushing a player and ruining his development. A player should be able to take as long he needs at a level he's comfortable with.
Hence why they stick to juniors til they're ready.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Hence why they stick to juniors til they're ready.
Some players are too good for the Juniors. You don't get better at anything unless you challenge/push yourself to the next level.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Some players are too good for the Juniors. You don't get better at anything unless you challenge/push yourself to the next level.
Thankfully, then, Beaulieu isn't one of those players who is too good for juniors.

And while I can agree with the second sentence in your post as far as the logic of it goes, I don't think that's true in reality. Can we think of any player who played a year in juniors that was an utter waste for them?

Old
09-25-2011, 02:48 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Thankfully, then, Beaulieu isn't one of those players who is too good for juniors.

And while I can agree with the second sentence in your post as far as the logic of it goes, I don't think that's true in reality. Can we think of any player who played a year in juniors that was an utter waste for them?
Tavares ?

Old
09-25-2011, 02:50 PM
WeeBey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post

Well, it's impossible to say really because you never know whether or not a player has reached their potential or not. Who knows how going to the AHL or skipping right to the NHL could have affected any one player's development. I just can't imagine, say RNH gaining much from staying in the CHL. But he's probably too small for the NHL right now.

I'm not sports psychologist, I never played a particularly high level of hockey either, so I wouldn't know. It just seems like there should be a mid-level for kids looking for a challenge without getting annihilated every night in the NHL.

Closed Thread