HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Dekanich out for season

Old
09-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Roadman
Moving On

vCash: 500
Question

Why does Dekanich get so quickly dismissed for lack of NHL experience, while at the same time Corey Schneider gets trumpeted as the second coming; he has a total of 35 NHL games played. Other than those 35 games their number are pretty similar, and if Mark had not been in the NSH organization he might have similar opportunities. Just saying it seems to me that the experience factor seems to be a bit overblown, at least in this comparison.

And as far as some of the "veteran" suggestions, you can only retread a tire so many times.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Question

Why does Dekanich get so quickly dismissed for lack of NHL experience, while at the same time Corey Schneider gets trumpeted as the second coming; he has a total of 35 NHL games played. Other than those 35 games their number are pretty similar, and if Mark had not been in the NSH organization he might have similar opportunities. Just saying it seems to me that the experience factor seems to be a bit overblown, at least in this comparison.

And as far as some of the "veteran" suggestions, you can only retread a tire so many times.
I think a lot of it has to due with Dekanitch's age. He's too old to be a sexy pick. If you aren't making an impact before 21, forget about it anymore.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:47 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Sanford was fine for an ahl signing, but I have no confidence that he can step in an play at the NHL level if Mason doesn't play well.
His NHL stats disagree with you. Why are we *****ing and complaining about a guy that was signed for this exact scenario?

Could we possibly create more drama over something that could very well be a non issue.

The issue isn't what Sanford does. If he keeps us in 3 of the 5 games he may or may not start, he's done his job. The question is what Mason does.

Buck up people. I am not for creating a great deal of uncertainty because of a high ankle sprain with our backup, who may not even be out that long.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:51 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I think a lot of it has to due with Dekanitch's age. He's too old to be a sexy pick. If you aren't making an impact before 21, forget about it anymore.
Can't say I agree with the age part. It's amazing how much I don't agree with that part. But you are correct that he certainly isn't a sexy pick.

In this case why would anyone get that excited for a player with no NHL experience signed to a one way contract with a questionable starter?

While I think you may have gotten in the right zip code at the end, I think you went about 10,000 miles out of your way to get there.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
His NHL stats disagree with you. Why are we *****ing and complaining about a guy that was signed for this exact scenario?

Could we possibly create more drama over something that could very well be a non issue.

The issue isn't what Sanford does. If he keeps us in 3 of the 5 games he may or may not start, he's done his job. The question is what Mason does.

Buck up people. I am not for creating a great deal of uncertainty because of a high ankle sprain with our backup, who may not even be out that long.
What those fretting over this situation aren't saying is that they haven't accepted that Mason is the starter entering the season and will get the lion's share of the play regardless of who is the backup.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassť: 09-23-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Tim Thomas says hello.

A lot of goaltenders are late bloomers, it's the main reason you don't see goaltenders selected very high in the draft anymore (Carey Price being the most recent exception) ...

Solid goaltenders are found in all sorts of strange places. Who knows what we might have in Sweden with Forsberg right now?

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Or he made it worse by playing on it for the rest of the period. One of our rec league goalies got a pretty bad ankle injury and continued to play a couple games....he hasnt played in net for over 5 months now.

Mason better be ready
Yeah, Arniel seemed a little irritated that he didn't report the injury immediately and played through.

Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Adamhockeyp

Should be almost good to start practicing no?

Adamhockeyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2011, 03:45 PM
5StringBuzz

Did they say 4 weeks? They probably meant 12.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Wendel09

Any news on when he may be ready? I saw an update on Yahoo saying he got injured in his first exhibition game but didnt hear how bad.

Anyone have any updates?

Wendel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

he's scheduled for his rehab start with Springfield on Friday assuming nothing happens b/t now and then

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

I watched him in practice on Friday and I thought he looked good. Didn't seem to be favoring his ankle in anyway and seemed to be doing a better job of stopping pucks than both York and Mason in practice.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Wendel09

awesome, thanks guys. I think I just read the post on yahoo wrong, I'm wondering for fantasy sport reasons(I'm a leafs fan)

What are the chances he's the starter once he's healthy?

Wendel09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel09 View Post
awesome, thanks guys. I think I just read the post on yahoo wrong, I'm wondering for fantasy sport reasons(I'm a leafs fan)

What are the chances he's the starter once he's healthy?
100%

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 11:36 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
can't wait for Dex to get healthy.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 12:45 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
can't wait for Dex to get healthy.
Indeed. I never thought we would be quite this bad waiting on his return. We have to get him in the lineup and see what we have.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:06 PM
JacketFanInFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Indeed. I never thought we would be quite this bad waiting on his return. We have to get him in the lineup and see what we have.
He still has the 1/2 AHL defense in front of him.

Nobody can stop all the odd man rushes that our lame defense gives up.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post

Perhaps if he stops the odd puck or 2, the defense won't feel the need to cover for him as much as they're trying to do for Mason.

While the defense as constructed, as well as the lack of puck possession by the forwards, definitely puts stress on the goalie, you wonder if the current implosion in net isn't making bad things worse. I do not think there's a man on the team or a fan in the stands that thinks Mason could stop a large pizza right now, much less a puck.

Put a guy back there who can make the first 4 saves more times than not and I think we'll find out.

**gadzooks....I really am sitting here incredulous that my expectations of a goalie have fallen to "just stop the first 4 shots...please!"

yeesh.

Old
11-07-2011, 01:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketFanInFL View Post
I find your first statement off, but I'll leave it at that. I won't say what I really think of it.

Quote:
Quick question for you, who is encouraging the defense to put themselves in position to be beaten to create the odd man rushes?

Look there is bad goal tending. Then there is where Steve Mason is at. I don't expect Dex to be the savior, I'm just hoping for more stability and fewer soft goals. Honestly I don't want him to be the savior, just solid enough to illustrate to the powers that be that even decent goal tending isn't going to solve our issues.

Old
11-07-2011, 05:28 PM
CBJRedman

It has been said that Dex will be sent to the Falcons for a conditioning stint. At this point, he can't be any worse than what we have. I understand getting him up to game speed, but why not at an NHL level?

CBJRedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJRedman View Post
It has been said that Dex will be sent to the Falcons for a conditioning stint. At this point, he can't be any worse than what we have. I understand getting him up to game speed, but why not at an NHL level?
Because the last time he saw pucks that truly mattered was last season in the AHL.

Gotta give the guy a fair shot at success. It wouldn't be fair to him to have his first true NHL start coming off an ankle injury while coming off the bench cold as can be.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Hugg

Quote:
KatyLovesHockey Katharine McCarthy
Dekanich skating off in pain during warm-ups. Sorry #CBJ fans.
11 minutes ago
Retweeted by EricSmithHockey
http://twitter.com/#!/KatyLovesHocke...45271494582272

best season ever

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 06:25 PM
kidAcbj
Ohhh Canadaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugg View Post