HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Injury Talk: Markov to rejoin team at the end of Oct? Ryan White out indefinitely

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The sock is to protect the Achilles tendon area. It would have done jack all for Cammaleri's cut that was below the knee.
Mostly right....

The socks protect everywhere below the knee not just the achilles. They would also help avoid the cut on the calf muscle that Bieksa got a few years ago... but they don't go past the knee, so they would have done nothing for Cammy.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
The sock is to protect the Achilles tendon area. It would have done jack all for Cammaleri's cut that was below the knee.
http://www.hoganhockey.com/gear

Correct that the sock doesn't protect above the knee but the same company makes underwear that does. Might be a mobility issue there though.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:21 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
All these injuries are a product of teams not being afraid to answer the bell. Its getting annoying.
Did you watch the game... Seriously!!!...???

I'm all for getting more sandpaper on this team, but the two injuries had ZERO to do with team toughness.

At least argue that two goals this season were from us unable to push out big forwards in Carey's crease...I'll buy that.

The conclusion you drew is just moronic.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post

Correct that the sock doesn't protect above the knee but the same company makes underwear that does. Might be a mobility issue there though.
Mea Culpa, I stand corrected. Point remains that it was developed to defend the lower part of the leg, where skate cuts are more likely, then the rest of the body where they are just fluke occurrences.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Mea Culpa, I stand corrected. Point remains that it was developed to defend the lower part of the leg, where skate cuts are more likely, then the rest of the body where they are just fluke occurrences.
They're not that flukey. Look at that same website under the media tab. There's a list of recent injuries there. Many are wrists, back of the knee, thigh etc. They had some guy from that company (at least i'm pretty sure it's that company I only caught the trail end) on team990 this weekend and he was saying that cuts are really widespread. We only hear about the ones in the NHL and the major ones.

If the product is there and doesn't impede the player's skating I think it would be a wise move from the Habs (especially) to enforce its use.

This isn't some debatable, grey area thing like head shots. If there's a product out there that can prevent these cuts 100% then wear it.

Old
10-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Et le But

In the short term I'm happy with the defense we have, but I'm worried about going 3 weeks with only 6 defenders.

Old
10-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
In the short term I'm happy with the defense we have, but I'm worried about going 3 weeks with only 6 defenders.
Maybe they are trying to sign a veteran guy like Mccabe or...insert other unsigned defensemen. Anybody have a list of the "unsigned"? I'm sure Phillie would loved for us to take Walker but it would have to be on re-entry unless they want Spacek.

Old
10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
NBP81

Quote:
They're not that flukey. Look at that same website under the media tab. There's a list of recent injuries there. Many are wrists, back of the knee, thigh etc. They had some guy from that company (at least i'm pretty sure it's that company I only caught the trail end) on team990 this weekend and he was saying that cuts are really widespread. We only hear about the ones in the NHL and the major ones.

If the product is there and doesn't impede the player's skating I think it would be a wise move from the Habs (especially) to enforce its use.

This isn't some debatable, grey area thing like head shots. If there's a product out there that can prevent these cuts 100% then wear it.
Well there is a product that protects your eyes 100% and its still mandatory... Go figure...

Old
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:

I guess NHLers are different, but socks I wore went pretty much up to the thigh...

With how sharp skates are I doubt a sock would have made much difference.

Old
10-11-2011, 07:53 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I guess NHLers are different, but socks I wore went pretty much up to the thigh...

With how sharp skates are I doubt a sock would have made much difference.
They are a specially made sock, Kevlar i believe and it will not cut through.
Its not a hockey sock worn on the pads, its worn inside your skate like a regular sock.

Old
10-11-2011, 08:18 PM
sampollock

good, could have been worse,

rest up cammy, 30 goal year awaits

Old
10-11-2011, 09:23 PM
SAKS AVENUE

Anyone else catch Martin's little media thing on TSN videos up right now? I know he probably just got of the ice but he doesn't sound good. Even though he seems out of breath a little, something weird about it.

Martin is placed in the hospital for heart problems, Gainey steps in. (e4)

What ever happened to Eklund? is he still around?

Old
10-11-2011, 10:47 PM
habsrule22

Would be nice to know how Markov is coming along

Old
10-12-2011, 04:45 AM
habsjunkie2*

I have one pretty big criticism of coach Martin and it has nothing to do with Cammy's injury, but why the hell does he continually give him pk minutes, he's not especially good at it in the first place and I would rather see his ice time geared mostly towards scoring.

It really annoys the hell out of me. Cammy isn't exactly a good defensive player imo. He's a one dimensional sniper, a very good one, i'm not knocking cammy, but he should not be on the pk at all. There are better players suited for this role.

Old
10-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
They are a specially made sock, Kevlar i believe and it will not cut through.
Its not a hockey sock worn on the pads, its worn inside your skate like a regular sock.
They should make hockey socks(which cover the pads) with that material. Just about every year somebody misses 2-3 months with a bad cut...Bieksa(2), Lang, I think Selanne missed part of a year etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I have one pretty big criticism of coach Martin and it has nothing to do with Cammy's injury, but why the hell does he continually give him pk minutes, he's not especially good at it in the first place and I would rather see his ice time geared mostly towards scoring.

It really annoys the hell out of me. Cammy isn't exactly a good defensive player imo. He's a one dimensional sniper, a very good one, i'm not knocking cammy, but he should not be on the pk at all. There are better players suited for this role.
I find he is ok on the PK, but I think having him and Plekanec doing a lot pf PK work increases the odds of a shot on the foot or ankle causing an injury.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-12-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: merged
Old
10-12-2011, 08:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post

If I'm not mistaken, Cammalleri specifically asked Martin to put him on the PK.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Would be nice to know how Markov is coming along
My sense is that no news is NOT good news. Had Markov really been on schedule -- even with the swelling -- the organization would've been happy to report it. We're salivating over any progress by Markov on a normal day, and given our current state of defense Markov's return has become even more newsworthy. Therefore this total news blackout smacks of a lack of progress, or worse, a step backwards.

For the record, however, this is a total guess, based on nothing but the absence of data. I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
My sense is that no news is NOT good news. Had Markov really been on schedule -- even with the swelling -- the organization would've been happy to report it. We're salivating over any progress by Markov on a normal day, and given our current state of defense Markov's return has become even more newsworthy. Therefore this total news blackout smacks of a lack of progress, or worse, a step backwards.

For the record, however, this is a total guess, based on nothing but the absence of data. I'm hoping to be proven wrong.
At this point the next step is practising with teammates, but he probably has to be careful how fast he ramps up the intensity as that's how there was a setback in August.

Old
10-12-2011, 08:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post

The Habs are one of the most secretive teams in the league when it comes to injury updates. I wouldn't read anything into it.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
At this point the next step is practising with teammates, but he probably has to be careful how fast he ramps up the intensity as that's how there was a setback in August.
Glen Healy and now Bob Mackenzie (last night on That's Hockey) have mentioned that they believe Markov is not even skating anymore...

Bob said "there have been absolutely zero Markov sightings in Montreal...and he may not even be skating on his own at this time".

As of right now, it does not look good.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Glen Healy and now Bob Mackenzie (last night on That's Hockey) have mentioned that they believe Markov is not even skating anymore...

Bob said "there have been absolutely zero Markov sightings in Montreal...and he may not even be skating on his own at this time".

If by December, Markov isn't back playing or at the very least...practicing with his teamates, then i'll start worrying.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
missing two weeks of Cammalleri won't harm the team. We have scoring depth this year in case of injury like that.

I'm not worried about Spacek injury because I want to see more Emelin,Diaz and Weber. I don't care if they make costly mistake in the process ,I just want them to play and learn and become better player. They all have the potential to help this team big time come playoff time
No one mentions it much, but I am really pleased that Diaz stuck with the Habs. Sure, injuries have to do with it, but when was the last time one, let alone 2 guys showed up from Europe and made the club out of camp?

It might show how thin we are, but it also shows how good these guys could be. Emelin was not a surprise for me, but Diaz was. I'm surprised there has not been a thread on this. It's quite amazing.

Edit: I did pick Diaz and Gallagher as my 2 guys to watch at camp, and boy, did they outdo my expectations.

Old
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post

I'm pretty sure that if Markov was not even skating that the vultures in the Montreal media would be all over it criticizing Gauthier for not letting him walk or giving him too much money.

This is what they should do...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/12/sp...back.html?_r=2

Old
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
HomaridII

Hal Gill not practicing, no word as to why. (Renaud Lavoie)

Edit: Habs official twitter confirms it is due to family reasons

Last edited by HomaridII: 10-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old
10-12-2011, 09:55 AM
skule123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
It might show how thin we are, but it also shows how good these guys could be. Emelin was not a surprise for me, but Diaz was. I'm surprised there has not been a thread on this. It's quite amazing.
Rephrase your thoughts as a complaint, make that a thread title, and 5+ page thread guaranteed.

"Why Aren't More Of Our Canadian Players Making The Team Out of Camp?"

You're welcome!

Closed Thread