Training Camp Cuts

Old
09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
The way I see it, Buff, Bogosian and Enstrom are the clear cut top three.

There could be arguments made for any of Stuart, Oduya, Hainsey or even Postma to round out the top four.

IMO, Postma has been great this pre-season and based just on play alone, I'd take him over Hainsey or Oduya.
You must have miss some of his defensive gaffs, against fringe NHLers. Hainsey and Stuart are locks for this team. Stuart will be on the bottom pairing but where Hainsey plays is still an unknown. Like I said, Hainsey is our 2ND BEST DEFENSEMAN DEFENSIVELY.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=WJG;37112357]Question for ATL fans: did Kane and Burmistrov ever play together last year? How did they look?[QUOTE]

Burmistrov was a third liner and didn't play with Kane and they probably don't need to play together as Burmistrov doesn't look like he's gained anything really.

Was interesting listening to the post-game show yesterday afternoon. Even tho some on here think I am just trolling, I speak from honest reflection of 11 years of crap from Atlanta.

The guys yesterday commented the same thing I've said, that this team is an inherited "mess" (my word) and some of the mainstays (including Burmi), as good of guys as they are, until they are cut loose, this team is still a mess and will be.

Look at the franchise history of drafts and how many top picks were worthless....Burmistrov is flashy but 3 goals a year from a puck hog isn't going to fly in Canada. Holzapfel, Machacek, Klingberg are 3 more that haven't panned out.
Maxwell, Stapleton, and some others have got to be whittled away and some real talent needs to take their place.

Festerling should stay, too bad he isn't a forward! Atlanta never had that kind of smack player. The team as it is looks like a 2nd year expansion team and that's what it's been for 10 of the last 11 years.

Again, Don Waddell's curse is still there until the brooms move the trash out.

ThrasherMinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:02 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post
Burmistrov was a third liner and didn't play with Kane and they probably don't need to play together as Burmistrov doesn't look like he's gained anything really.

Was interesting listening to the post-game show yesterday afternoon. Even tho some on here think I am just trolling, I speak from honest reflection of 11 years of crap from Atlanta.

The guys yesterday commented the same thing I've said, that this team is an inherited "mess" (my word) and some of the mainstays (including Burmi), as good of guys as they are, until they are cut loose, this team is still a mess and will be.

Look at the franchise history of drafts and how many top picks were worthless....Burmistrov is flashy but 3 goals a year from a puck hog isn't going to fly in Canada. Holzapfel, Machacek, Klingberg are 3 more that haven't panned out.
Maxwell, Stapleton, and some others have got to be whittled away and some real talent needs to take their place.

Festerling should stay, too bad he isn't a forward! Atlanta never had that kind of smack player. The team as it is looks like a 2nd year expansion team and that's what it's been for 10 of the last 11 years.

Burmistrov played with Kane more than a couple times. I'm 100% sure of it.

Quote:
Burmistrov is flashy but 3 goals a year from a puck hog isn't going to fly in Canada.
What does this mean? You expect Burmistrov to score half as many goals with better linemates and more TOI?

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
The way I see it, Buff, Bogosian and Enstrom are the clear cut top three.

There could be arguments made for any of Stuart, Oduya, Hainsey or even Postma to round out the top four.

IMO, Postma has been great this pre-season and based just on play alone, I'd take him over Hainsey or Oduya.
Please do some research before you post something like this.

The defense is one place where other than the 7th man we already know who's going to be there.

The fact that you have Hainsey and Stuart as people that Postma could beat out shows how little you're aware of the situation on this roster.

Regardless if Postma makes the team or not (I hope either he or Festerling are the #7), he will not be playing with an offensive defenseman like Byfuglien. Postma may be able to get shots through but his defensive game has more than a few holes. If he's anywhere he takes Oduya's spot and plays with Stuart on the bottom pairing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again for the people who have never watched this team before, the top 6 will be:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Stuart-Oduya
(Postma, Festerling, Jones)

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post

The defense is one place where other than the 7th man we already know who's going to be there.

The fact that you have Hainsey and Stuart as people that Postma could beat out shows how little you're aware of the situation on this roster.

Regardless if Postma makes the team or not (I hope either he or Festerling are the #7), he will not be playing with an offensive defenseman like Byfuglien. Postma may be able to get shots through but his defensive game has more than a few holes. If he's anywhere he takes Oduya's spot and plays with Stuart on the bottom pairing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again for the people who have never watched this team before, the top 6 will be:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Stuart-Oduya
You have NO IDEA whether or not the management have some surprise changes to the team makeup planned. They could easily move one or two players from the back end in order to shore up the forwards for all we know. Nothing is as set in stone as you'd wish others to believe.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
You have NO IDEA whether or not the management have some surprise changes to the team makeup planned. They could easily move one or two players from the back end in order to shore up the forwards for all we know. Nothing is as set in stone as you'd wish others to believe.
I have a little more insight than you know.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
I tend to agree with Lynk here. Based on what we know today, I also believe the defence will look like the following,

Byfuglien - Enstrom
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Oduya

Jones, Festerling, etc.

09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
I have a little more insight than you know.
You may have insight into the former Thrasher roster; you've little insight into what the hockey ops guys of the Jets are discussing privately however, nor do any of us here. I found your attempt to belittle the opinion of another poster here to be somewhat insulting, frankly. The guy is both entitled to his opinion and to express it sans you attempting to flame his opinion by utilizing the logical fallacy of argument from authority.

Quote:
That was an unfair reply to a fellow member here. They are entitled to their opinion, period.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
Quote:

Enstrom-Byfuglien
Hainsey-Bogosian
Stuart-Oduya
I couldn't agree with you more, Lynk. There may be a little competition for the bottom 6 forwards on this team, but the D is cut and dried. I would even go a little farther than you and call the 7th man as Jones.

Again, there is no way the Jets do thier homework on Jones, sign him to a +MM contract and then send him to the minors. The one thing you won't see this org. do is waste money or flip flop on their decisions.

People talk about what a well run org it is and well run orgs dont sign a guy to an NHL contract to send him to the minors after 2 preseason games.

Jones will be the 7th guy, and as much as I like Postma, I am starting to believe that Festerling will be the first call up. He has nearly 100 NHL games under his belt.

09-26-2011, 02:34 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post

Was interesting listening to the post-game show yesterday afternoon. I speak from honest reflection of 11 years of crap from Atlanta.

This is getting old as time.

Kane played some time with Burmi, not much but he did. Saying Burmi played on the 3rd line is a little generous. You've been hating on Burmistrov for months now because he didn't score 30 goals like Skinner. Hard to do that with such limited ice time.

The flashy 3 goals comment makes no sense at all.

Waddell's curse? Brooms move the trash out? Ok, let's get rid of Enstrom, Pavelec, Little, Kane, Hainsey, Oduya(yes), Antropov(yes), Thorburn, Slater, Cormier, Redmond, Pasquale, etc. Or maybe, just maybe, you are so sour, you just feel like going around and trying to bring people down because you're still so pissed about the team moving. Maybe, maybe, you should move on...

Quote:
And until a possible trade happens, everything Lynk says is right. You should listen to him, you WOULD learn something.

@Jet, I hope, if Jones is the 7th d-man, he plays better during the regular season then he has in the preseason. From my perspective, Festerling has played well enough to be the 7th guy or even outplay Oduya. We'll see though.

Last edited by Jet: 09-26-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Nobody is trolling, if they were they would be getting an infraction...
Old
09-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
And until a possible trade happens, everything Lynk says is right. You should listen to him, you WOULD learn something.
Why listen to someone that pushes their opinion on another as being the authoritative one? FYI, I probably watched as many Thrashers games on Center Ice last season as did many Thrasher fans. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
You may have insight into the former Thrasher roster; you've little insight into what the hockey ops guys of the Jets are discussing privately however, nor do any of us here. I found your attempt to belittle the opinion of another poster here to be somewhat insulting, frankly. The guy is both entitled to his opinion and to express it sans you attempting to flame his opinion by utilizing the logical fallacy of argument from authority.

That was an unfair reply to a fellow member here. They are entitled to their opinion, period.
Absolutely he's entitled to his opinion. My post had nothing to do with belittling anyone, it was a post of my own opinion and that's all. If it came across as a belittling rant then I apologize to the OP.

All that said, you can't possibly believe Postma is going to crack the top 4 and guys like Hainsey and Stuart could possibly be left off with Oduya playing over both of them. It's simply not logical from all standpoints.

Like I said I hope Postma or Festerling does become the 7th guy because they seem to both be viable options, but getting into the top 4 over one of the other guys is a little nuts.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:48 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

Quote:
Why listen to someone that pushes their opinion on another as being the authoritative one? FYI, I probably watched as many Thrashers games on Center Ice last season as did many Thrasher fans. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Because he's right about this.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Gump: Keep in mind, some people may be connected to the team in ways you don't know.

Lynk: Gump has a point. The person you originally responded to is allowed to have an opinion. Just because they perhaps don't have all the info you do doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to make their point.

Now, back to the subject of the thread: Training camp cuts.

Steven Reinprecht has been waived. Personally not interested in him but I do believe the Jets will pick someone up off waivers before preseason is over. I think that was the plan all along after seeing the obscene amounts UFA's were going for this offseason.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Steven Reinprecht has been waived. Personally not interested in him but I do believe the Jets will pick someone up off waivers before preseason is over. I think that was the plan all along after seeing the obscene amounts UFA's were going for this offseason.

I think, or thought so too. I didn't know if Wellwood would be the last addition for now, or if we'll see who hits waivers.

We'll see I guess. If someone comes along that management feel is a fit and can potentially help, i'm sure we'll be quick to get them if we can.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think, or thought so too. I didn't know if Wellwood would be the last addition for now, or if we'll see who hits waivers.

We'll see I guess. If someone comes along that management feel is a fit and can potentially help, i'm sure we'll be quick to get them if we can.
I'm very interested in seeing who hits the wire before we are done here.

Also think there is a slim possibility a deal could be made with a cap team, that seems much less likely to me.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I'm very interested in seeing who hits the wire before we are done here.

Also think there is a slim possibility a deal could be made with a cap team, that seems much less likely to me.
Rumour right now is Scott Parse is on the way out in Los Angeles, this is a name I would take a long look at for several reasons. He scored 24pts in 54 games two seasons ago in VERY limited minutes (I think ~11mins a night), so has shown offensive upside as he is a good skater, great hands, and knack for offense. Injured in TC last year, and missed most of the season but still put up 4 pts in 5 games. This rust means he is having trouble in very deep Los Angeles, but he will be a very good 3rd line scorer for WPG with lots of upside not to mention he was forced to learn a good twoway game in LA(everybody is forced to, look the how awesome Kopitar is defensively now).

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the last 3 guys LA cast-off due to their depth. Teddy Purcell, Matt Moulson and Brian Boyle. Quite a list of guys to literally give away for nothing in 2 seasons.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Well the big games for the youngsters is over...Jets prob going down to 27-30 players tonight or tommorrow, any guesses?

Expected cuts are Holzapfel, Weller, Sol, Aliu, Clark, Gagnon, Koci, Carrozzi, O'Dell, Forney, Chiarot, Melchiori, Pasquale, Flood, Jaffray, Redmond, Ramsey, Mannino

The tough ones are Gregoire, Bodie (loving his emotion, wish we didn't have Glass he'd be on the team), Pesonen, Meech, Kulda(both Kulda and Meech are better than Jones but Jones' one-way means he gets a longer look).

Leaves 29. I have trouble making cuts I want to see everyone succeed

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Burmistrov - Antropov
Maxwell - Scheifele - Wellwood
Klingberg - Slater - Thorburn
Glass - Cormier - Machacek
McArdle - Stapleton

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Oduya - Festerling
Jones

Pavelec
Mason
Aebischer

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Well the big games for the youngsters is over...Jets prob going down to 27-30 players tonight or tommorrow, any guesses?

Expected cuts are Holzapfel, Weller, Sol, Aliu, Clark, Gagnon, Koci, Carrozzi, O'Dell, Forney, Chiarot, Melchiori, Pasquale, Flood, Jaffray, Redmond, Ramsey, Mannino

The tough ones are Gregoire, Bodie (loving his emotion, wish we didn't have Glass he'd be on the team), Pesonen, Meech, Kulda(both Kulda and Meech are better than Jones but Jones' one-way means he gets a longer look).

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
McArdle - Stapleton

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Oduya - Festerling
Jones

Pavelec
Mason
Aebischer

I think Gregoire gets a look over McArdle, but good list

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Rumour right now is Scott Parse is on the way out in Los Angeles, this is a name I would take a long look at for several reasons. He scored 24pts in 54 games two seasons ago in VERY limited minutes (I think ~11mins a night), so has shown offensive upside as he is a good skater, great hands, and knack for offense. Injured in TC last year, and missed most of the season but still put up 4 pts in 5 games. This rust means he is having trouble in very deep Los Angeles, but he will be a very good 3rd line scorer for WPG with lots of upside not to mention he was forced to learn a good twoway game in LA(everybody is forced to, look the how awesome Kopitar is defensively now).

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is the last 3 guys LA cast-off due to their depth. Teddy Purcell, Matt Moulson and Brian Boyle. Quite a list of guys to literally give away for nothing in 2 seasons.
I can definitely agree about grabbing Parse. He's shown a strong game when he gets ice time.

I also didn't know about Purcell, Moulson, and Boyle. I've always been a fan of Boyle and Purcell.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Le Golie

I expect we will hear about cuts tomorrow. Time to get this roster down to 30 or so. I think we're at 53 right now, so lots of plane tickets getting printed.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:33 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
McArdle - Stapleton

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Stuart - Postma
Oduya - Festerling
Jones

Pavelec
Mason
Aebischer

I would sooner they keep Bodie over McArdle as team enforcer, Stapleton hasn't shown anything that should keep him in the NHL, a solid AHL player though.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Le Golie

My prediction for the next round of cuts:

McArdle
Forney
Chiarot
Sol
Aliu
Redmond
Melchiori
Koci
Carrozzi
Holzapfel
Rosa
Weller
O'Dell
Ramsey
Albert
Wiebe
Clarke
Kulda
Flood
Jaffray

That leaves us with 4 goalies, 10 defencemen and 18 forwards by my count.

Pavelec
Mason
Aebischer
Mannino

Enstrom
Byfuglien
Bogosian
Hainsey
Stuart
Oduya
Postma
Meech
Jones
Festerling

Ladd
Kane
Little
Wheeler
Scheifele
Burmistrov
Antropov
Stapleton
Wellwood
Glass
Thorburn
Cormier
Maxwell
Slater
Machacek
Klingberg
Gregoire
Bodie

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:07 AM
KingSalamon

Does Cormier make this cut? I'm not sure he's quite ready... seems like a log jam for lines 3 and 4 with the forwards. Perhaps it'll come down to line chemistry.

Defense seems pretty locked for 1-6... there's room for a 7th but there is a lot of looking required still... Hainsey was the senior guy on the defense last year correct? So perhaps that is where Jones comes in... he hasn't played inspired yet but he'll get some time in the next two games.

I think there is no change in the goaltending... Aebischer doesn't look like a replacement for Mason.

Tuesday the ax will drop and we will be down to 30 or less...

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
heilongjetsfan

vCash: 758
I'd really like to see Postma stick for a few games too, actually. I haven't really got to see much of the jets this pre-season (anybody know where to find streams or torrents of the games?), but I like this kid, I think he has a ton of upside, offensively. Yes, we have a logjam at D, and that won't play in his favour, esp with Jones on a 1 way.

Then again, it could pave the way for a trade to shore up our goaltending or our scoring. I know it's not exactly the "Jets Way," but I think there could be some interesting trades made with say an Oduya/Burmi combo.

Keep in mind, they're just OPINIONS (I'm looking at you, Lynk), really more IDEAS than opinions, even. That said, I'm interested in your feedback - what could we get?

I'd be hoping for a trade with Philly, maybe. Leighton/Bob could make nice backups and keep the pressure off of Pavs.

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote