HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hecht remains out for the weekend. 9/27 Update: he is still not skating

Old
09-22-2011, 04:53 PM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Hecht remains out for the weekend. 9/27 Update: he is still not skating

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...e-weekend.html

Quote:
Jochen Hecht will not play in the Sabres' three games this weekend, coach Lindy Ruff announced after Thursday's double session in First Niagara Center. Ruff said Hecht, who needed stitches in the lip after a collision with Shaone Morrisonn early in camp, is being held out but should skate next week. Hecht, remember, could not get back on the ice during the playoffs due to what was later learned to be concussion symptoms.

"A little bit of it is us being precuationary here," Ruff said

This is in the injury thread as well. But I thought a general discussion about any potential roster impact this could have isn't a bad idea.

Granted I'm probably getting too concerned over this but if he is going to be out of the lineup as camp procedes. Does this bolster Adam's chances of making the team regardless if he is completely ready? Or does McCormick just jump up the center depth chart instead of Adam?

Also how worried do we need to be about Hecht?

Last edited by joshjull: 09-27-2011 at 12:53 PM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:26 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I'm a little worried because Jochen is a guy you really can throw out in any situation. He'll never thrive offensively, but he'll score enough. Defensively, he's as good a forward as we've got, and he's one of the few guys who I really like down low in the offensive zone.

This news would be easier to take if Adam looked good right now, but he's struggled since the prospect tourney. I like McCormick and would love to see him in an everyday role, but for now, it probably depends on the performance of Adam.

It definitely increases the chances that we take Luke or Ellis to Europe to start the season, though.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Moskau

Ugh is this going to be another Connolly situation where the entire swing of balance gets ****ed over because we pegged him as being able to play all year?

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:56 PM
5 Minute Major

Jochen Hecht......the player that has taken moire grief in his time here than he ever deserved. (I'm not saying by all)

I always loved his game. You need players like Jochen to be a winner.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:21 PM
sk8haggard9

Morrison sabotaging the team because he know's he's being sent down

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
And so it begins....

The possible issue is that he's had multiple concussions over his time here and if this is yet another, who knows? It may cost him his season/career. If he winds up on LTIR, they ought to start shopping. Adam is closer than last year, but so far in pre-season, he's still not quite there. Close, sure, but why risk it?

09-22-2011, 10:23 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Jochen Hecht......the player that has taken moire grief in his time here than he ever deserved. (I'm not saying by all)

I always loved his game. You need players like Jochen to be a winner.
I'm not really sure what your post has to do with this thread. No one is attacking Hecht.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

vCash: 436
Put him on IR, keep Adam up until he's healthy.

V-R-P
E-L-S
G-A-B
K-G-M

I dunno

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Granted I'm probably getting too concerned over this but if he is going to be out of the lineup as camp procedes. Does this bolster Adam's chances of making the team regardless if he is completely ready? Or does McCormick just jump up the center depth chart instead of Adam?

Also how worried do we need to be about Hecht?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Put him on IR, keep Adam up until he's healthy.
Like Chain noted, I think Ruff knows there's no need to push Hecht when he knows what he's getting from him - and the bonus is that it allows him more time to test Adam in the center spot. Hecht will be fine by opening night IMO - WGR noted that he came to camp OK. It sounds like Ruff just wants to play it safe with the starters he'll be counting on this year.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 08:28 AM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Simply an effort to ensure he is ready for the European game vs. Addler in Mannheim.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Like Chain noted, I think Ruff knows there's no need to push Hecht when he knows what he's getting from him - and the bonus is that it allows him more time to test Adam in the center spot. Hecht will be fine by opening night IMO - WGR noted that he came to camp OK. It sounds like Ruff just wants to play it safe with the starters he'll be counting on this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Simply an effort to ensure he is ready for the European game vs. Addler in Mannheim.
He initially was supposed to be back in a day or so. He isn't just being held out of games he is being held out of practices as well. He isn't skating at all. I guess my concern is along the lines of if they are holding him out like this for precautionary reasons. Then he must have had some sort of mild symptoms that led them to take this action.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
ZemgusWho
Play for 2013+

I hope its not going to be career-threatening, and I hate to admit it- he is definitely become quite injury prone.

But here's my thought on the OP's point. No, McCormick does not climb the depth chart because of this. McCormick's role IMO is only well-suited to the bottom 3. I think his limited upside could be seriously exposed if forced into trying to fill Hecht's shoes. If Hecht is out, I'd like to see Adam in there, and Morrisson still sent down.

If we're going to have struggles, especially early season at a position I'd rather it be a young guy getting better and not a veteran being asked to play beyond his ability.

(If Hecht is on IR, Morrisson goes down, Adam stays up- I think our cap situation would be good, right)

ZemgusWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I think McCormick can play above the 4th line much in the same way guys like Downie and Cooke have turned their pesty/enforcer/grinder careers into top 9 utility men.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I would like to see Szczechura get some time in the middle in preseason, perhaps tomorrow. He seems to offer some of Hecht's skills (particularly the work ethic, skating and defensive coverage) from his time in Tampa so why not give the kid a crack at it? We know what they have in Ellis (no knock on Matt). Give the new guy a shot too.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:47 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think McCormick can play above the 4th line much in the same way guys like Downie and Cooke have turned their pesty/enforcer/grinder careers into top 9 utility men.
Is it better to have McCormick handling a center role in the 3a/3b configuration or to have him free to roam closer to the wall and deeper in the zone on the wing where his physical contributions are important to a roster relatively limited in that aspect of the game? We saw last year with him that as his on-ice responsibilities and ToI increased, some of Cody's rambunctiousness went away, in particular when he was playing center. He's an option, but more like a fill-in than as a perminent role.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 05:44 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Didn't he play with Connolly and Ennis at one point last year??? or was it Hecht/Connolly 2 years ago??

Good gravey I am losing my mind.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:55 PM
joshjull

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...o-the-ice.html

Quote:
The first big bit of news out of practice today is the continued absence of center Jochen Hecht. A cut lip does not force an absence of roughly a week of drills, and that clearly points to a recurrence of concussion symptoms Hecht experienced at the end of last season. Memo to Lindy: You will be questioned about it again today.

I think its safe to say at this point he has another concussion.

Sadly I feel my concern over this was warranted.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...o-the-ice.html

I think its safe to say at this point he has another concussion.

Sadly I feel my concern over this was warranted.
It's going to really suck for him if he can't play in Germany.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:10 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
It's going to really suck for him if he can't play in Germany.
It would suck

But I'm more concerned about him playing period. If a incidental collision in practice has already given him another concussion not long after he returned from a previous one. We may be seeing Hecht's career in trouble.

Old
09-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Thorton02

This is perfect. Adam's line with Vanek and Boyes dominated and I don't want Joking Heck ruining that. Our forwards are stacked without him in the line up.

Vanek Adam Boyes
Ennis Leino Stafford
McCormick Roy Pominville
Gerbe Gaustad Kaleta

Hecht is not a bad player and would actually help us by taking Mac's spot on the third line. The problem is that I don't think we have the cap space to have him and Adam up at the same time(at least to start the season).

Leave Jochen on the LTIR for the first month or two. Lets see how Adam does. Frankly, this is more for Vanek's benefit. He thrives when he's in charge. Roy is a puck hog(no problem, he's good) and will excel anywhere in the lineup.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

I really really like Jochen, but man it's time for the Sabres to move on and get a Hecht like player that actually plays.

I hope he can return soon and play in Germany.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton02 View Post
This is perfect. Adam's line with Vanek and Boyes dominated and I don't want Joking Heck ruining that. Our forwards are stacked without him in the line up.

Vanek Adam Boyes
Ennis Leino Stafford
McCormick Roy Pominville
Gerbe Gaustad Kaleta

Hecht is not a bad player and would actually help us by taking Mac's spot on the third line. The problem is that I don't think we have the cap space to have him and Adam up at the same time(at least to start the season).

Leave Jochen on the LTIR for the first month or two. Lets see how Adam does. Frankly, this is more for Vanek's benefit. He thrives when he's in charge. Roy is a puck hog(no problem, he's good) and will excel anywhere in the lineup.
There's absolutely no way Adam is on the top line with Roy on the third to start the season. You'd have to give Adam 13-15 minutes of ES time per game playing with Vanek and Boyes, and he's not remotely close to being ready for that.

Old
09-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Thorton02

I'd agree if that was our #1 line and we were a crappy team with only a few decent players. Our 4th line will probably be more effective that most team's 2nd line.

If we roll 4 lines effectively, there is no way we can be stopped. Adam gives us a big body pivot while Vanek dictates the play. We saw how Vanek dominated when Connolly was at center. There's no way Adam would be worse then Connolly. I know it was one game, but Adam, Vanek and Boyes connected instantly.

Thorton02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
I'd agree if that was our #1 line and we were a crappy team with only a few decent players. Our 4th line will probably be more effective that most team's 2nd line.

If we roll 4 lines effectively, there is no way we can be stopped. Adam gives us a big body pivot while Vanek dictates the play. We saw how Vanek dominated when Connolly was at center. There's no way Adam would be worse then Connolly. I know it was one game, but Adam, Vanek and Boyes connected instantly.
Yes. There is.

Old
09-27-2011, 01:40 PM
joshjull

Quote:

Vanek Adam Boyes
Ennis Leino Stafford
McCormick Roy Pominville
Gerbe Gaustad Kaleta

Not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that Hecht being injured is perfect for your plans of a Vanek/Adam/Boyes line.

Vanek/Roy/Pommer will be the top line and Hecht's health has zero impact on that.

Last edited by joshjull: 09-27-2011 at 01:50 PM.