HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Still Interesting Lineup tomorrow; fresh news as well!

Old
09-22-2011, 06:02 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

vCash: 500
Still Interesting Lineup tomorrow; fresh news as well!

Here is tomorrow's lineup:
Forwards:
Blake Comeau-Josh Bailey-PA Parenteau
Jay Pandolfo-Trevor Frischmon-Jeremy Colliton
Micheal Haley-David Ullstrom-Justin DiBenedetto
Trevor Gillies-Tomas Marcinko-Tyler McNeely

Defensemen:
Mottau-Staios
Wishart-Reese
Donovan-de Haan

Goalies:
DiPietro, Nilsson

I was hoping that Staios and Mottau would be on two separate pairs, so they could compete against each other. I was thinking DeHann could play the first pair with Staios, but let's see how it works out.

Surprised that Strome, Nabokov, and Nelson aren't in the lineup.

In other news, Andy MacDonald and Marty Reasoner are skating according to Dee Karl (aka the great one.....of cupcakes)

Also, Kirill Kabanov is injured with a wrist problem, but it is not serious according to Islanderspointblank.com new writer Brad Kurtzberg.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on any of these topics?

Edit: Edited Starting lineup

Last edited by M Moulson Ale: 09-22-2011 at 06:37 PM.
M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1113
I think the positions are messed up, rather than that being how they'll actually line up.

Gillies and Pandolfo don't play center, either, yet are listed as center for their respective lines.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:16 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
Here is tomorrow's lineup:
Forwards:
Bailey-Comeau-Parenteau
Frischmon-Pandolfo-Colliton
Ullstrom-Haley-DiBenedetto
Marcinko-Gillies-McNeely

Defensemen:
Mottau-Staios
Wishart-Reese
Donovan-de Haan

Goalies:
DiPietro, Nilsson

What I put in bold is interesting. Bailey had always centered Comeau, but this will be something to watch. Maybe a little swap could help Bailey for the most part on wing.

Also, I was hoping that Staios and Mottau would be on two separate pairs, so they could compete against each other. I was thinking DeHann could play the first pair with Staios, but let's see how it works out.

In other news, Andy MacDonald and Marty Reasoner are skating according to Dee Karl (aka the great one.....of cupcakes)

Also, Kirill Kabanov is injured with a wrist problem, but it is not serious according to Islanderspointblank.com new writer Brad Kurtzberg.

neiderreiter should be playing a big role in every pre season game to see if he can PLAY his way onto the team. i would like to hear the organization's reasoning for having him sit this one.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

this is Pandolfo and Staios Audition......de Hann has looked good in pre season before so lets hope he keeps it up!!!!! Nilsson and DP should split the game....

And to see how the Comeau Bailey PaP Tandum work....

Also I think the Writer was just writing plays and thier lines not by Position....

Last edited by StrongIslanders90: 09-22-2011 at 06:25 PM.
StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:19 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
neiderreiter should be playing a big role in every pre season game to see if he can PLAY his way onto the team. i would like to hear the organization's reasoning for having him sit this one.
Because thier playing him at home with his Projected line mates Johnny boy and Matty Ice....Strome too...they want the home town crowd to get a looksie....

Old
09-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I think the positions are messed up, rather than that being how they'll actually line up.

Gillies and Pandolfo don't play center, either, yet are listed as center for their respective lines.
The OP has it wrong. According to Staple, its:

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
The OP has it wrong. According to Staple, its:

Which makes more sense, and which pretty much makes the OP's question (one of them, anyway) moot.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:24 PM
StrongIslanders90

Also Nelson is not even at training camp he is at school....

Old
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
I was hoping that Staios and Mottau would be on two separate pairs, so they could compete against each other. I was thinking DeHann could play the first pair with Staios, but let's see how it works out.

Edit: Edited Starting lineup
None of the college kids are at camp.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Because thier playing him at home with his Projected line mates Johnny boy and Matty Ice....Strome too...they want the home town crowd to get a looksie....
i don't see why he can't play both games.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:50 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i don't see why he can't play both games.
I agree to an extent but I think its Back to Back from Boston to LI(I know they do it in the Pros) and they have only so many players and they want certain guys to get a good portion of ice time sos they can get a good look at them......anyway that what I think...

Old
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

Gillies, Colliton and Marcinko should not take up any roster spots in preseason - they are starting the season in Bridgeport, they are knowns and shouldn't be auditioning. (Well, maybe Gillies makes the team, but he still has nothing new to show). The preseason should be about sorting through prospects (Nino, Kabanov, Ullstrom, McNeeley, deHann) who could possibly make the team, auditioning the tryouts (especially Staios), sorting through the defense (which four #5-#6 defensemen makes the cut), maybe giving greenhorns a taste (Strome, Nilsson, Cizikas), and figuring out the goaltending for the NHL and AHL. The Isles only have five games to get it done, shouldn't waste three spots on those three.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
seafoam

vCash: 446
Everything is leaning towards Pandolfo being signed to an AHL deal.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:26 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menwithouthat tricks View Post
Gillies, Colliton and Marcinko should not take up any roster spots in preseason - they are starting the season in Bridgeport, they are knowns and shouldn't be auditioning. (Well, maybe Gillies makes the team, but he still has nothing new to show). The preseason should be about sorting through prospects (Nino, Kabanov, Ullstrom, McNeeley, deHann) who could possibly make the team, auditioning the tryouts (especially Staios), sorting through the defense (which four #5-#6 defensemen makes the cut), maybe giving greenhorns a taste (Strome, Nilsson, Cizikas), and figuring out the goaltending for the NHL and AHL. The Isles only have five games to get it done, shouldn't waste three spots on those three.
When playing back to back games, I am guessing they don't want to tire out the players. I fully expect a big set of cuts by Monday

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:55 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menwithouthat tricks View Post
Aren't they doing some split-squad thingy, like so many other teams?

If so, then they need 40 bodies to fill up the rosters.

In addition, things aren't like they used to be... Now we have prospects camp in the summer and then the rookie camp a week before the big boys come. Most kiddy decisions have already been made.

Ohhh, and I'm pretty sure guys like Cizikas and Strome will be seeing some preseason action.

Basically, the only kid I see them making any big decision on is Niederreiter. Other than that, the situation with Haley, Martin and Gillies is a little cloudy, but the rest of the forwards are set in stone.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:17 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

They have a game on Saturday(at home) were we will see the bulk of the "A-Team"

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Ziggy16

split squad rules for preseason games:

(example used from last night's vancouver game:

Vancouver's squad barely qualified for league restrictions on sitting veteran players in exhibition games. League rules state you have to dress a minimum of nine veterans with 100 games played and/or former first-round draft picks. The Canucks were able to meet the standard due to the presence of six players in the match who are attending their camp on professional try-outs; Legace, Nolan, Anders Eriksson, Steve Begin, Fedoruk and Niko Dimitrakos... The Canucks signed 2011 first-round pick Nicklas Jensen on Thursday. Jensen was taken 29th overall by Vancouver after scoring 29 goals and 29 assists last year for Oshawa in the OHL...

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 01:35 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

In addition, things aren't like they used to be... Now we have prospects camp in the summer and then the rookie camp a week before the big boys come. Most kiddy decisions have already been made.

Ohhh, and I'm pretty sure guys like Cizikas and Strome will be seeing some preseason action.

Basically, the only kid I see them making any big decision on is Niederreiter. Other than that, the situation with Haley, Martin and Gillies is a little cloudy, but the rest of the forwards are set in stone.
Nice to have hockey back.

I also expect most of the roster positions to be set.

Moulson - Tavares - Parenteau
Comeau - Bailey - Rolston
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Reasoner - Haley/Gillies/Ullstrom/PANDOLFO

Streit - Hamonic - MacDonald
Eaton - Jurcina - STAIOS/Mottau/Wishart/Reese/deHaan

Nino has the best chance for an NHL job at fwd (I have a feeling he's headed for Portland)
deHaan has the best chance for an NHL job on defense
Ullstrom maybe but I suspect he'll be in the AHL with Cizikas, Rakhshani, DiBenedetto, McNeely.

Kabanov, Strome - I hope they earn some long looks but I expect them in junior.

Last edited by redbull: 09-23-2011 at 08:03 AM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 07:39 AM
BennyBST

I think McNeely should be skating with Colliton and Frischmon. I know its pre-season but McNeely isn't a 4th line player.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:48 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
I think McNeely should be skating with Colliton and Frischmon. I know its pre-season but McNeely isn't a 4th line player.
Agree with this as well, only problem I have with the lineup for tonight.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 07:51 AM
ndgolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Nice to have hockey back.

I also expect most of the roster positions to be set.

Moulson - Tavares - Parenteau
Comeau - Bailey - Rolston
Grabner - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Reasoner - Haley/Gillies/Ullstrom/PANDOLFO

Streit - Hamonic - MacDonald
Eaton - Jurcina - STAIOS/Mottau/Wishart/Reese/deHaan

Nino has the best chance for an NHL job at fwd (I have a feeling he's headed for Portland)
deHaan has the best chance for an NHL job on defense
Ullstrom maybe but I suspect he'll be in the AHL with Cizikas, Rakhshani, DiBenedetto, McNeely.

Kabanov, Strome - I hope they earn some long looks but I expect them in junior.
I concur with this scenario. I think fans have a tendency to drool over the exciting skill sets of our young prospects and underestimate the neutralizing effects this can have on their game when thrown into both NHL size and speed. Strome, Kabonov and even Nino all need to get stronger to utilize their skill consistently over a 80+ game season.

The NHL is becoming a Physics experiment as the speed of the game and size of the players is taking its toll on players ability to complete a full season. Play-offs then take the physical aspects to another level.

Asking these players at this point to step in and compete night in and night out is asking for trouble and injury. Size and Genetics against injury is becoming an increasing factor in the game. I say let them develop another year and become hungry and prove their commitment to this franchise.

Stay Thirsty my friends.

The Islanders are poised to one day drink from the cup once again.

ndgolden is offline   Reply With Quote