HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
10-24-2011, 10:47 PM
mti79

vCash: 500
I lived in Buffalo for a year (March 2009-May 2010) and had center ice and didn't miss a single game. Whether it was on VS, NBC, NHL Network or CI, I had a feed of the game.

Now I'm in Connecticut, just outside Hartford, and the 2 opening games on VS were blacked out for some reason but I've gotten every game on Center Ice. Last year I didn't have to miss a game. The first game, I called my cable company (Cox) and complained about it and the guy had no answer. But then for some reason the game came on and I was able to see the 3rd period on TV instead of my computer. 2nd game I DVR'ed cause I couldn't watch it live and it was blacked out again and never came on.

Since then, I've gotten everything on CI but I'm weary of the next VS telecast.

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

www.hockeystreams.com

Highest Ratings

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:52 AM
mucker*

I am very concerned.

Correct me if I am wrong, but traditional:
-Downstate NY, Albany, Binghamton, and North County regions have been 100% Ranger territory
-Utica/CNY mostly Ranger, but some Sabre influence starts

I am very worried these stupid league rules with no overlay is basically "social engineering" and artificially going to erode the Rangers base and popularity while exaggerating the Sabres reach.

Folks in these affected regions of NY, do you see the TV coverage changing the Rangers popularity? Has it already happened?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:52 AM
mucker*

For good measure, Phil Mushnik chimes in

Quote:
:
* The NHL’s regional TV rules continue to defy common sense and the appeals of thousands of hockey fans who figure they’re being conned.

For example, Albany, N.Y., is deemed a territory of natural interest in the Buffalo Sabres, thus Sabres telecasts regularly appear on cable in the Albany area, to the exclusion of MSG’s Rangers telecasts.

Yet, Albany is 250 miles from Buffalo, and just 150 miles from NYC.

Those fans who suspect that this might be part of a ploy to force them to buy the NHL’s premium cable TV package have every reason to suspect just that. One also would think that a league that needs every fan it can get would be more eager to best serve every fan it has.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz1bZx5CdVp
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...2PEJ3cDTmbxI/1

Old
10-25-2011, 01:53 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgftp View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like another winter of frustration.

Anyone got any links for streams? Or how do I find them? Is HD possible?
Yeh, what streams do you use that are safe and virus free?
Last year there was some channel "rags to riches" but it's gone.
What is a safe, and non choppy feed?

Old
10-25-2011, 02:15 AM
mucker*

This may help:
Quote:
Here is the composite 2011-12 National Hockey League television schedule for the Capital Region.

A couple of notes. Versus becomes the NBC Sports Network on Jan. 2. The MSG and MSG+ schedules are likely to change if the NBA lockout continues. Games subject to Capital Region blackouts are in parentheses and italicized:
http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmed...lackouts/7827/

Old
10-25-2011, 03:38 AM
eco's bones

I live in Elmira--or about an hour north of Binghmaton. It's very frustrating but when the Rangers are blacked out I can get most games via live stream. Best way to do it IMO. To me this whole area is traditionally Rangers territory. I remember back in the 70's and 80's when the only game on tv was the Rangers off of WOR. The Sabres aren't nearly as rooted here. Lots of people won't watch the Sabres if they're on. Hate Rick Jeanrette besides.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:45 PM
mgftp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I lived in Buffalo for a year (March 2009-May 2010) and had center ice and didn't miss a single game. Whether it was on VS, NBC, NHL Network or CI, I had a feed of the game.

Now I'm in Connecticut, just outside Hartford, and the 2 opening games on VS were blacked out for some reason but I've gotten every game on Center Ice. Last year I didn't have to miss a game. The first game, I called my cable company (Cox) and complained about it and the guy had no answer. But then for some reason the game came on and I was able to see the 3rd period on TV instead of my computer. 2nd game I DVR'ed cause I couldn't watch it live and it was blacked out again and never came on.

Since then, I've gotten everything on CI but I'm weary of the next VS telecast.
Very interesting. Thanks for chiming in. I was under the impression the center ice games would be blacked out too. But I guess I can give it a try if the cable company will let me get a refund if things don't work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
www.hockeystreams.com

Highest Ratings
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throgsmack View Post

Folks in these affected regions of NY, do you see the TV coverage changing the Rangers popularity? Has it already happened?
I have only lived here for 4-5 years and I see 10 times more Sabres attire and car stickers than Rangers stuff around here. In fact I see more ancient Binghamton Rangers (the old AHL affiliate before the Whalers left CT) than NY Rangers stuff. Sabres fans by far outweigh Rangers fans here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I live in Elmira--or about an hour north of Binghmaton. It's very frustrating but when the Rangers are blacked out I can get most games via live stream. Best way to do it IMO. To me this whole area is traditionally Rangers territory. I remember back in the 70's and 80's when the only game on tv was the Rangers off of WOR. The Sabres aren't nearly as rooted here. Lots of people won't watch the Sabres if they're on. Hate Rick Jeanrette besides.
Strong geography, Elmira is west of Binghamton But I am terribly annoyed by Rick Jeaneret as well!

mgftp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
schmittkov

I live in Rochester and have had Center Ice for about ten years on Time Warner and I have been able to watch all of the Rangers games.

The only games that I have been unable to watch are the "flex" games that get added to Versus toward the end of the year. In that case, the game is blacked out on Versus and on Center Ice - it happened a few times last year.

schmittkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:14 PM
mucker*

mgftp...where do you live?

Old
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Rangers would still be blacked out
Can anyone verify this? I was under the impression that the Rangers would be shown on Center Ice if the Sabres were on MSG.

NYRSchrute217 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Played juniors for the Jackals during the lockout season, back when the rink was called First Arena. Lived with a host family on the south side. Nice little town.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 06:32 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

So, we've got roughly 5 days until FioS is supposed to get the HD service? Has anyone read anything new on the subject. I'm tempted to call Verizon to see if they can let us know about any of the details.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:05 PM
azrok22

The media hasn't picked up on it yet, but the FCC affirmed its Media Bureau's order. Unless a federal court grants another stay pending appeal, Cablevision will have to give Verizon MSG HD on schedule (edit: by November 14th). It's not over, but Cablevision is slowly running out of options.

He's a PDF of the 23 page decision letter.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1110/FCC-11-167A1.pdf

Double EDIT: Actually, upon reading the opinion closer, they've extended the compliance period to 15 days after release of the decision letter, so the November 14th deadline no longer applies, and Thanksgiving would be the new deadline.

Triple EDIT: If you have any interest in the law, it's a great read. For instance, the fact that Cablevision has been touting the fact that it's the only source of all the NY area teams in HD for years bit them in the ass.

Quote:
Third, Defendants contend that the Bureau dismissed evidence demonstrating that MSG
HD and MSG+HD have lower ratings than many well-known SD channels.142 In fact, the Bureau
carefully considered this evidence and explained that (i) despite these allegedly low ratings, Defendants
continue to emphasize MSG HD and MSG+ HD in advertisements and continue to withhold this
programming from Verizon, thereby demonstrating the market importance of the networks
;143 and (ii) the
Commission has previously recognized that ratings “are not a perfect predictor of consumer response to
the withholding of a network.”

Last edited by azrok22: 11-10-2011 at 04:15 PM.
azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:40 PM
averyrule

This is getting ****ing rediculous! First it was 10/30, then 11/14, now Thanksgiving!? What's next, it gets pushed back to Xmas! Cablevision lost, now give me my ****ing MSG HD already!!!

averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 04:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
The media hasn't picked up on it yet, but the FCC affirmed its Media Bureau's order. Unless a federal court grants another stay pending appeal, Cablevision will have to give Verizon MSG HD on schedule (edit: by November 14th). It's not over, but Cablevision is slowly running out of options.

He's a PDF of the 23 page decision letter.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1110/FCC-11-167A1.pdf

Double EDIT: Actually, upon reading the opinion closer, they've extended the compliance period to 15 days after release of the decision letter, so the November 14th deadline no longer applies, and Thanksgiving would be the new deadline.

Triple EDIT: If you have any interest in the law, it's a great read. For instance, the fact that Cablevision has been touting the fact that it's the only source of all the NY area teams in HD for years bit them in the ass.

Great find, particularly the bolded, quoted part, LOL!!!!

I can wait until Thanksgiving... Already waited this long anyway....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
www.hockeystreams.com

Highest Ratings
Can anyone vouch for this site?

How legitimate are they?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

How legitimate are they?
Been around for years... I've read good feedback from people who subscribe to it... I believe it's legit with the NHL too, because hockeystreams has been in operation since 2007...

I've never had a reason to subscribe to the site so I can't give any personal feedback though.

Old
11-10-2011, 05:59 PM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Been around for years... I've read good feedback from people who subscribe to it... I believe it's legit with the NHL too, because hockeystreams has been in operation since 2007...

I've never had a reason to subscribe to the site so I can't give any personal feedback though.
There is no way in hell that hockey streams is legit with the NHL. It probably found a loophole. The whole thing seems shady to me. Besides, I already have gamecenter; however, I must give them credit in regard to the fact that they don't have a subscription fee, but they do require a "donation."

Lol.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 06:00 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

How legitimate are they?
i can't speak for the legality of the site, but I can vouch for the quality of the service. I subscribed in the past when I was often on the road and would watch every Rangers game over hotel wifi. Only issue I had with it is the MSG feed was rare, it was often the other teams FSN NESN TSN NHLN feed. And I don't know if it has improved since, but some of the games when you select HD were 4:3 SD feeds that were cropped to 16:9, but the quality was still good.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 07:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
There is no way in hell that hockey streams is legit with the NHL. It probably found a loophole. The whole thing seems shady to me. Besides, I already have gamecenter; however, I must give them credit in regard to the fact that they don't have a subscription fee, but they do require a "donation."

Lol.
I am wondering if they are paying the NHL licensing fees or some type of fees (perhaps through back channels) to avoid being shut down... How else are they getting away with it since 2007? We are not talking about just streaming of live games here but archiving games as well... Which is a lot different than the torrent sites that other people utilize.... Now the reason I was inclined to believe that it's somehow legit is that I read on hfboards some times ago (from mods), that the reason the moderators and site admin allow users to post links to free feeds/streams in Game Day Threads, is because they (HFboards) confirmed with the NHL that it's okay to do so, and that they won't be targeted by the NHL for such actions... So if the NHL is okay with that type of activity, I might be inclined to believe they're not going to aggressively pursue sites like HockeyStreams... Perhaps the NHL might actually have some smart individuals calling the shots, and the realize that the league has FAR MORE to gain through this type of activity than it has to lose... Increased exposure of the league leads to increased popularity and think of the revenue they can generate through merchandising as opposed to forcing people to fork over money for NHL Game Center or Center Ice....

Also, I found this on their site:

Quote:
Donate for a single day, a month, three months, six months, or a full year. HockeyStreams™ lets you decide between several different terms that you wish to donate for
It's more or less a subscription fee....

Last edited by wolfgaze: 11-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old
11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
mullichicken25

Is anyone else able to stream games with the nhl game center app despite never paying for anything?

I tried to watch highlights and it said I had to subscribe, but when I went to stream live games it just played no problem

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Is anyone else able to stream games with the nhl game center app despite never paying for anything?

I tried to watch highlights and it said I had to subscribe, but when I went to stream live games it just played no problem
Literally stopped working the second I made this post

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 11:02 AM
Ruotsalainen29
Zhoo-Zhitsu!

MSG HD & MSG+ HD to FIOS by 11/25/11 per FCC

Taken from the Devils board

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1027167

Ruotsalainen29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

MSGHD Fios

http://nyrnation.net/finally-msg-hd-...-verizon-fios/

UPDATE: The FCC has denied a request by Madison Square Garden and Cablevision to review a Media Bureau decision that it must make high-definition feeds of its MSG and MSG-Plus regional sports nets available to AT&T and Southern New England Telephone Company in Connecticut, and Verizon in the New York and Buffalo markets, according to Multichannel News.

FINALLY!!!! Thank you 6lb 7oz baby Jesus!!!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote