HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
12-15-2011, 01:59 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Waiting for the channels to appear on their online guide as I need to record the game (not leaving work until 7:30 PM which is cutting it close).... Grrr!
You can't manually punch in a channel #?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
You can't manually punch in a chennel #?
Unfortunately their site has not been functioning correctly with regards to that Jump To Search feature... So I manually scrolled down to 578 and it's still not listed there.... I wonder if their website will need to update overnight or something.....

I live about 20 minutes from my office so if I leave at exactly 7:30 I should be able to make it home in time to record the game...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Unfortunately their site has not been functioning correctly with regards to that Jump To Search feature... So I manually scrolled down to 578 and it's still not listed there.... I wonder if their website will need to update overnight or something.....

I live about 20 minutes from my office so if I leave at exactly 7:30 I should be able to make it home in time to record the game...
Cool. Good luck. We've been waiting. Hope their debut in HD, for Fios customers at least, is a winner.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Greg02

Is MSG2 going to come in HD?

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:07 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
Is MSG2 going to come in HD?
No. Not 2 or +2. We will lose a few HD games to overflow from the Knicks and the Isles and Devs.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Crease

Quote:
No. Not 2 or +2. We will lose a few HD games to overflow from the Knicks and the Isles and Devs.
While I can understand the Rangers sharing MSGHD with the Knicks, its absolutely unfathomable that the Rangers would get the boot to a SD channel in favor of the Islanders or the Devils. I guess the owner of this franchise will do anything for a buck.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:21 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
While I can understand the Rangers sharing MSGHD with the Knicks, its absolutely unfathomable that the Rangers would get the boot to a SD channel in favor of the Islanders or the Devils. I guess the owner of this franchise will do anything for a buck.
There have actually been instances where the Isles and Devils got MSG and MSG+ and the Rangers and Knicks got MSG2 and +2. I have never received a decent explanation for that. Obviously if you have Cablevision it doesn't matter as they're all HD, but any any other provider is SOL.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Quote:
There have actually been instances where the Isles and Devils got MSG and MSG+ and the Rangers and Knicks got MSG2 and +2. I have never received a decent explanation for that. Obviously if you have Cablevision it doesn't matter as they're all HD, but any any other provider is SOL.
The Devils and Islanders never get MSG over the Rangers. And the Rangers can't bump the Devils or Islanders off MSG+ because of the Devils and Islanders contract. Just look at MSG and MSG+ as separate networks and the only time a team will get on the other network is if one of the teams that has priority on that network isn't playing.

12-15-2011, 02:27 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Dude, I respect your informed opinion, whether I agree or not, but you're acting like a 2 year old with a post like this.

I had Cablevision for a while but i changed because Verizon has a better all around service, in my opinion, lower prices, better on demand, better menus, and yes, MGSHD coming to Verizon was a factor but not a sticking point. That is how a free market is supposed to operate. So look through the BS issues and the games, competition in the free market is what prevailed ultimately. If Cablevision wants its customers to stay, they should focus on their services instead of hampering other companies' services.
Fair enough, I can admit when I act like a jerk.

I should have simply said "where do you draw the line on whats an unfair competitive advantage?"

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:28 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The Devils and Islanders never get MSG over the Rangers. And the Rangers can't bump the Devils or Islanders off MSG+ because of the Devils and Islanders contract. Just look at MSG and MSG+ as separate networks and the only time a team will get on the other network is if one of the teams that has priority on that network isn't playing.
Ok. So in either of the scenarios there's a chance the Rangers will be on MSG2 or +2 and neither is in HD for Fios. My specifics may be wrong but my bottom line isn't.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
The way I view it is that MSG and MSG+ are both owned Madison Square Garden Inc. As such, the owners of the Rangers have given priority to the Islanders and Devils when the Knicks cause overflow. Business yes, but morally bankrupt.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
The way I view it is that MSG and MSG+ are both owned Madison Square Garden Inc. As such, the owners of the Rangers haven given priority to the Islanders and Devils when the Knicks cause overflow. Business yes, but morally bankrupt.
Probably had to concede this to get the Devils and Isles to agree to a deal.

Old
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Ok. So in either of the scenarios there's a chance the Rangers will be on MSG2 or +2 and neither is in HD for Fios. My specifics may be wrong but my bottom line isn't.
Yep, those who don't have Cablevision are screwed.

Quote:
The way I view it is that MSG and MSG+ are both owned Madison Square Garden Inc. As such, the owners of the Rangers haven given priority to the Islanders and Devils when the Knicks cause overflow. Business yes, but morally bankrupt.
Fair enough. Was just explaining why the Devils and Islanders get priority on MSG+. Don't really have an opinion on this but I see where you're coming from.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
DDD if you agree with his statement (which I also agree with) we could all agree that Cablevision would not need to withhold MSGHD from Verizon & AT&T because there would be no mass exodus from CV if the rest of their product/service was up to date with current standards.... Cablevision would be able to profit from selling the HD feeds to those companies and still retain their Customer base as many Customers are usually complacent with sticking with what has worked in the past and usually aren't looking to make changes to their services for no reasons other than customer dissatisfaction.
A very good point and I believe that is true also.

But that doesn't change my opinion that the FCC meddles a little to far into business practices. I don't think Verizon was being "harmed" by cablevision, their quality product was bring in customers already. My biggest issue with the whole situation is that I don't like the idea of businesses being forced to comply with rules and regulations that are decided on by partisan politicians who's parties bend to the biggest contributors.

If I believe the FCC gave a crap about consumers, I would probably see this decision as more favorable.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:11 PM
SRTtoZ

MSG HD here! omgz.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
MSG HD here! omgz.
LOL!!! Enjoy!

Old
12-15-2011, 03:18 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
If I believe the FCC gave a crap about consumers, I would probably see this decision as more favorable.
Well I don't think anyone could say across the board that all of their actions are for the benefit of Consumers but I certainly would think that some of what they've done/regulated has been to the benefit of Consumers. All large government entities are subject to a certain degree of corruption and political influence...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:12 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
MSG HD runs at 17.5 MB, which apparently makes it the highest quality regional sports channel in the country.. So the picture should be about as good as it gets assuming it is being filmed on high quality cameras (which the games are).. Not sure what they use for Boomer and Carton
Not necessarily. YES Network, as an example, broadcasts in 1080i. Most networks broadcast in 720p, which degrades their quality a bit if you're watching on a 1080p TV.

It's not just their speed, but also what level of HD they broadcast in.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:29 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
No, you haven't read all my posts. I believe in government regulation. I don't believe it should get to pick and choose though, when it applies its rules and in what form.
I still contend the FCC decision had nothing to do with consumers, and everything to do with the power and influence of telecom giants like verizon.
If you can't see the corruption and politicizing taking place in government agencies like the FCC, you'll never understand the position I have on this matter.
Yes, governemnt regulation is good, but there is a line that can be crossed where there is just to much government involvment.
Fair enough. In this case I really do see CV as the aggressor - though I admit I'm not big fan of Verizon as a company. Both are evil, it's just in this case I see one having better service but unable to compete due to the other's unfair advantage.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:30 PM
NYRangers16

Westchester has it on 578. Woot!

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:42 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
Not necessarily. YES Network, as an example, broadcasts in 1080i. Most networks broadcast in 720p, which degrades their quality a bit if you're watching on a 1080p TV.

It's not just their speed, but also what level of HD they broadcast in.

The overwhelming majority of networks broadcast in 1080i, not 720p. The Fox RSNs (and other Fox networks) are some of the few that do broadcast in 720p. It's not really "speed" either but rather bitrate. MSG HD has absolutely top notch PQ.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
The overwhelming majority of networks broadcast in 1080i, not 720p. The Fox RSNs (and other Fox networks) are some of the few that do broadcast in 720p. It's not really "speed" either but rather bitrate. MSG HD has absolutely top notch PQ.
Yep while Fox and ESPN are blurfests compared to watching a SNF game on NBC.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
pwoz

Still no MSG HD on FIOS in central NJ.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
Yep while Fox and ESPN are blurfests compared to watching a SNF game on NBC.
Fox isn't that bad at all. CBS, though, is terrible.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:56 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Jonathan, I actually agree with 99% of what your saying. Where we disagree is that I believe cablevison has the right to that competitive disadvantage that it gained through capital investment and risk of its own.

Just like verizon has the advantage of its superior network that it made the investment in and took the risk to build. Should they have to share that, so my brother, a cablevision customer can have the same experience as you?
The FCC isn't ordering Cablevision to provide the programming for free, so it kind of make your Apple vs Microsoft argument moot....only that they make it available for a fee the way they do everyone else. Would you prefer multiple cable/fiber carriers based on who owns programming or an exclusive agreement? Cablevisions arguments in court have been that HD is no different than the SD content they currently have a carriage agreement with Verizon for.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote