HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Viewing (Providers, HD, Online, Etc)

Old
10-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Basically what the above text is saying (which I read last week), is that they pushed back the deadline to November 14th.... FCC will review the decision but I see no reason why they are going to reverse their position on this.... No party has ever sided with Cablevision on this matter...

The "irreparable harm" CV is referencing is the fact that a significant portion of their Customer base is going to drop their inferior service like a bad habit if they're forced to turn over the HD feed to their competitors...
Well, then the harm is not irreparable.

Fix your **** service.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:13 PM
coatjones
Debauchery #1

Send a message via AIM to coatjones
And here I was excited to watch tomorrow nights Rangers / Oilers in beautiful HD at my own home for the first time in 3 years. Looks like it will be Rangers @ Islanders Nov 15th.

coatjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

A question for FioS subscribers - I watched the last two games after I recorded them to DVR and both times there were significant issues with the quality of broadcast - every couple of minutes the screen would freeze for a short while, and then would show a lot of static / interference before returning back to normal. Did anyone else have the same issue? Otherwise I'd think it is maybe something with my DVR.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:47 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovazub94 View Post
A question for FioS subscribers - I watched the last two games after I recorded them to DVR and both times there were significant issues with the quality of broadcast - every couple of minutes the screen would freeze for a short while, and then would show a lot of static / interference before returning back to normal. Did anyone else have the same issue? Otherwise I'd think it is maybe something with my DVR.
Same experience, particularly bad last night.... I had FiOS for all of last season and this issue was not present so I don't think you need to worry about your hardware or your particular connection... All of my preseason games were fine this season.... Very rarely I will see some stuttering on the screen but that is remedied by simply hitting Stop on your remote control and then hitting play again... I do not anticipate you will have a problem moving forward but be sure to post in this thread if you do....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:50 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
had the same issue with last nights game

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:53 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
I'm a Time Warner subscriber and the same thing happened to me on MSGHD, so I'm assuming it's a problem on the MSG end. This happens a lot with MSG's broadcasts, they need to get their act together.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:56 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

thank you all.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I'm a Time Warner subscriber and the same thing happened to me on MSGHD, so I'm assuming it's a problem on the MSG end. This happens a lot with MSG's broadcasts, they need to get their act together.
Thanks.... I was half wondering if somehow Cablevision employees were able to secretly sabotage the feeds being carried by Verizon I guess it's the same feed/signal for every carrier...

Old
10-21-2011, 03:00 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, my TWC picture suffer from quite a few glitches during the broadcast as well. And I just swapped out my dead box earlier in the day so the new box was not likely the culprit.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, my TWC picture suffer from quite a few glitches during the broadcast as well. And I just swapped out my dead box earlier in the day so the new box was not likely the culprit.
Same on DirecTV lots of pixelation and fading, I was flipping between Bruins/Leafs, Caps/Philly and Fishsticks/Bolts before the Ranger game and all were fine so I figred it had something to do with the MSG feed.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:36 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatjones View Post
And here I was excited to watch tomorrow nights Rangers / Oilers in beautiful HD at my own home for the first time in 3 years. Looks like it will be Rangers @ Islanders Nov 15th.
Not necessarily. The stay that was issued in this case was implemented by the FCC's Media Bureau, which is reconsidering the matter. Even once the Media Bureau makes a decision, there is still a long avenue for appeals. I'm not intimately familiar with federal administrative law, but it appears that a decision of the Media Bureau can be appealed to the full FCC Commission. See, e.g., Mediacom Comm. Corp. v. Sinclair Broadcast Corp., http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Decision-Full (January 8, 2007). At that point a hearing may be held before the FCC's Office of Administrative Law, and even after the Commission makes a decision, Cablevision should be able to appeal that decision to the judiciary (I believe it would go directly to the Court of Appeals, in which case that decision could be appealed to the Supreme Court).

What you need to be hoping for is that when the next decision is appealed (which it almost certainly will be given the stakes for Cablevision), no stay is put in place.

As a Verizon customer, I certainly hope this is resolved in short order, but I definitely wouldn't operate under the assumption that Verizon will have MSGHD by November 15th, 2011.

EDIT: Rather than wait for the media to pick up the story, the Media Bureau's decision letter should be posted on their website when it is released. http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/media-bureau-headlines. The letter sent by the Bureau granting the stay pending appeal in the case is also available there. http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Rele...-11-1695A1.pdf

Last edited by azrok22: 10-22-2011 at 09:42 AM.
azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
mgftp

Help with watching Rangers upstate (blackouts)

Hey guys, I am hoping someone can help me out here. I grew up down near NYC but now live upstate for a few years and am constantly frustrated by blacked out games here, I would say I can't watch between 20-40% of games the past two seasons.

Does MSG have a blackout schedule for upstate markets? Where could it be found?

Additionally, half the blacked out games are backed out incorrectly, and I can only assume this is because of miss-communication between broadcasting channels and my cable company. For example, say the Sabres are playing and MSG decides the carry the Sabres over the Rangers (this is enough to drive me nuts to begin with) for my market but the game is televised on VS, the VS game will be blacked out stating that I have a local telecast which I don't. Any way to get this straightened out? Last year I tried and my cable company tells me to contact MSG, and MSG tells me to contact my cable company, so no resolve. I wasn't even able to speak with anyone who had any clue what I was talking about. If someone has encountered this problem and has a way to go about it that would be great.

But, I guess more realistically, and first, if anyone knows where a blackout schedule is, that would be great.

BTW, I am in the Binghamton area with Time Warner cable.

mgftp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:32 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

This explains it, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow

Quote:
This situation has become even more complicated in recent years, as MSG also owns the rights to the Buffalo Sabres after the collapse of Empire Sports Network and its parent, Adelphia. The Sabres service is broadcast to Upstate New York customers (defined as virtually all of the state outside the New York City Nielsen DMA). The Sabres, through its broadcast arm, the Sabres Hockey Network, control the entire broadcast, including the sale of advertising and production of exclusive pre- and post-game show. Aside from Sabres games, MSG controls the broadcasts of all other local teams that it carries (with teams usually retaining the right to approve or reject MSG's choice of announcers). The two sides agreed to a 10-year contract in 2006.[3]

There has been a certain amount of controversy regarding the Nielsen ratings for the Sabres' broadcasts on MSG. Traditionally, Buffalo's hockey ratings are among the highest in the United States. Regular season Sabres games on Versus and NBC generally register 15-20 shares in the Buffalo market, and approach 30 in the playoffs. However, Sabres games on MSG registered only 6-10 shares, even in the playoffs during 2006-07. This led to speculation that an inaccurate reporting method was used; the issues were apparently resolved after the season. In upstate New York (see above), another alternate channel is created for the New York Knicks if they are not on Time Warner Cable SportsNet.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
free0717

Get the Center Ice package. Its only about $160. I couldnt survive if I missed that many games

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:34 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Get the Center Ice package. Its only about $160. I couldnt survive if I missed that many games
Rangers would still be blacked out

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
ptvnsx

Send a message via AIM to ptvnsx
Going to school in upstate NY I found that free online stream sites will be your best friend. You just need to have a good internet connection and you will get almost every game.

I know I use to use a blackout schedule that MSG would put on their website yearly.. just don't know where it is exactly or if they still create one.

ptvnsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:45 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptvnsx View Post
Going to school in upstate NY I found that free online stream sites will be your best friend. You just need to have a good internet connection and you will get almost every game.

I know I use to use a blackout schedule that MSG would put on their website yearly.. just don't know where it is exactly or if they still create one.
This for sure. I live in Clinton, (near Utica) and face the blackout/Sabres games problem. The internet is your best friend in these scenario's. You can find any game streaming, providing you have a good pc and connection.

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Free streams will be your savior

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptvnsx View Post

Same. I went to SUNY Oneonta and the Rangers would be blacked out every time the Sabres were on even though Oneonta is closer to NYC than Buffalo.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:40 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

So whats the deal with this Verizon thing..

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
So whats the deal with this Verizon thing..
Need to wait until November 14th/15th now and see what happens.

Old
10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Need to wait until November 14th/15th now and see what happens.
werent they supposed to come to an agreement before the 22nd of october and then the appeal for there to be a stay on the ruling be looked at?

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
werent they supposed to come to an agreement before the 22nd of october and then the appeal for there to be a stay on the ruling be looked at?
I don't know any more details other than what's been posted....

Old
10-24-2011, 11:09 PM
mgftp

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like another winter of frustration.

Anyone got any links for streams? Or how do I find them? Is HD possible?

mgftp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Crease

This was the worst part of going to Cornell. Well this, the weather, and the all-nighters.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote