HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9/24/11 Tampa Bay Lightning @ Florida Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2011, 01:21 AM
catEye
Oh No! We suck again

vCash: 500
Was @ the game as well.

My few points tonight:

Guds didn't impress me at all either. Falling and running into people like he was hesitant to make quick decisions. I'm not worry much about his Offensive side right now, what I'm worry is his defensive poor performances. He was pretty much out of position all night from my point of view. Don't know how i feel about him making the team @ this point.

Hubs: I was really looking forward to seeing Hubs for the first time, too bad he was a ghost out there. He's linemates didn't help much either.

Campbell - Very smooth skater coast to coast with or without the puck. His shots from the point where way off the mark on the PP though.

Old
09-25-2011, 06:43 AM
SufferingCatFan

I add the following supplemental comments:

Jovo has really slowed down

We finally have 2 PMD in Campbell and Kulikov

Campbell-Garrison is a solid combo

Ellerby(didn't play)>Guds as he is playing right now

Old
09-25-2011, 07:57 AM
PanthersHockey1
The Ring of Fire

Every defensemen has to go through a learning curve in order to be better. I've seen it with kulikov, bouwmeester, doughty, schenn, etc. The more games gudbranson gets under his belt the better he gets. Im not too concerned.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
It's rather disappointing to read how poorly Gudbranson is doing. I am willing to let this loss slide because we all have to remember this line up is INCREDIBLY new, and none of these players aside from a few have played with each other before. It sort of reminds me of when Boston went on a huge spending spree when they got Chara, Savard, and others, and the first few games they played were absolutely awful (including a huge blow out by us).

I guess it would seem a bit foolish to expect these guys to be a juggernaut coming out of the gate. I just hope the chemistry starts coming together soon. We need that to happen if we have any chance at the playoffs this season.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Really don't see how people are so negative on Gudbranson... I think he's been playing with some confidence IMO

Old
09-25-2011, 10:52 AM
RainingRats

Guds will settle down. It takes some time.

I think we're going to be a lot more exciting to watch this year but we're also going to get blown out a lot more. Gone will be the days of the one goal games, imo.

To the poster that said Jovo lost a step, I agree 100%. I said this when we signed him that his skating was not strong anymore. His contract is going to be bad but whatever, no point in discussing it. He'll be a bottom pairing guy for us.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:17 PM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Guds will settle down. It takes some time.

I think we're going to be a lot more exciting to watch this year but we're also going to get blown out a lot more. Gone will be the days of the one goal games, imo.

To the poster that said Jovo lost a step, I agree 100%. I said this when we signed him that his skating was not strong anymore. His contract is going to be bad but whatever, no point in discussing it. He'll be a bottom pairing guy for us.
To me, his main purpose is to mentor Guds anyway

Old
09-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Halpysback*

How has Upshall looked so far?

Old
09-25-2011, 03:53 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
Campbell isn't much of a shooter, his shot isn't that hard. he's a playmaker. i think they had it right with Campbell on the left point and Kulikov on the right. Kulikov's shot is ALOT heavier and harder than Campbell, he just has to hit the damn net!
Having two able one timers on the points prove to be most useful.
However, of the 7 most likely to make the D squad, those probably would be our two best options.

Quote:
they shouldn't be that comforatable, because neither of 'em has made the team....guds in particular is not playing very well. dadonov is not playing poorly, he's just not creating too much, either.
Eh, they also aren't the worst looking. They shouldn't be, you're right, but that's how it looks.

As long as Guds starts going animal come October, I'm ok.

Old
09-25-2011, 04:23 PM
snipes007

Jovo didn't have his legs as he was obviously slow out there. However he was constantly talking to Guds out on the ice. The mentoring process has begun. Guds will be okay as the game starts to slow down for him.

Flash/Weiss/Versteeg is going to be exciting to watch. Upshall was not present (hip I think) but him and Kopecky should provide some needed hard work and energy. Hubs and Dads were pretty much absent out there last night, which is a shame considering their ability.

With Theodore, I don't think we got a very good look at his abilities. Two of the goals he didn't see. Another he was tackled. He didn't have to make any big stops although he was beaten on the penalty shot but saved by the crossbar. Still waiting to get a closer look from him. Let's see how he reacts to a 5 goal performance.

Last edited by snipes007: 09-25-2011 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Spell Check
Old
09-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Can anyone elaborate -- if possible, I know it's only been a few preseason games -- on Dineen's style of play? In comparison to Pete's.

Sounds like Dads isn't a lock. Interesting.

-ghoste

Old
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Can anyone elaborate -- if possible, I know it's only been a few preseason games -- on Dineen's style of play? In comparison to Pete's.

-ghoste
Dadonov better ******* be a lock. I don't give a **** what the **** happens in the ******* pre*******season.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Dadonov better ******* be a lock. I don't give a **** what the **** happens in the ******* pre*******season.

Dadonov should have to earn his spot. Just handing him a job is the worst thing we could do to him.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:18 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Dadonov should have to earn his spot. Just handing him a job is the worst thing we could do to him.
As far as I'm concerned, he's earned his spot. He knows he's one of the top 3 skilled on the payroll.
Grabner sucked a boat load of arse for us just before his race for the Calder somewhere else.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:32 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post

-ghoste
from my point of view - it's as advertised. far more offensive, defensmen are far more active in the attack, frequently holding the zone in pretty risky situations, aggressive forcheck, etc.

we played as it was advertised. for the first two periods, it seemed like we were absolutely dominating tampa, even though the SOG were only 5-6 shots in our favor, and it's likely because we just were dominating possession and territorially.

that being said, aggressive systems also have their flaws. we gave up 5 goals and it was due to sloppy defensive play for the most part. theodore could have been better, but it wasn't on him. hopefully with time, that improves, but we'll see i suppose.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Erick*

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, he's earned his spot. He knows he's one of the top 3 skilled on the payroll.
Grabner sucked a boat load of arse for us just before his race for the Calder somewhere else.
There's a difference between this year and last year.

Not handing Grabner a spot last year was dumb because we had an AHL team.

This year we have a bunch of NHL forwards on NHL contracts. Dadonov HAS TO earn his spot.

Plus, if he doesn't make the team, he can just go to San Antonio. That wasn't the case with Grabner last year; he had to clear waivers, so he was unprotected.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:57 AM
Erick*

Quote:
from my point of view - it's as advertised. far more offensive, defensmen are far more active in the attack, frequently holding the zone in pretty risky situations, aggressive forcheck, etc.

we played as it was advertised. for the first two periods, it seemed like we were absolutely dominating tampa, even though the SOG were only 5-6 shots in our favor, and it's likely because we just were dominating possession and territorially.

that being said, aggressive systems also have their flaws. we gave up 5 goals and it was due to sloppy defensive play for the most part. theodore could have been better, but it wasn't on him. hopefully with time, that improves, but we'll see i suppose.
That's the style Tallon/Santos like.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
One of the top 3 skilled guys on the payroll is pushing it. Arguably top 6. If he knows he's so skilled, then he should have no problem earning a job on merit, and not based on what he did last year in under half a season. As Erick said, Dadonov doesn't have to clear waivers so we don't have to worry about losing Dadonov if he's sent down. If we just hand him a spot he could get content and think he doesn't have to work hard every night to play in this league. He's a young guy, he should have to fight for his life to make this team. Use the advantage of the waiver system while it's available.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Pantherfan12

It was definately great to go to a hockey game after waiting all off-season long. Although it's great to get varied opinions on how our team is doing so far this pre-season(although I was there) I think we need to also take a step back and say "It's only pre-season" I am just as excited as everyone else to see this team and what they bring this season, but I'm sure the players are finding their niches, so to speak, and I am sure guys like Guds,Huberdeau,Markstrom ect... are just trying to make a great impression and could possibly be gripping the sticks a bit too tight.
I just think it's too early to be judging the players right now ya know. I mean guys like Jovo,Dadanov, Guds, and Hubby might have had an "eh" game against Tampa, but then they could come out next game and completely dominate, so it's hard to get a reading on the players because again, it's pre-season.

On a side note, I hope to see Guds, Hubby and Markstrom(Cause Clemmer is out with surgery for a short time) in the opening night roster.

Closed Thread