HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sun is heads and shoulders...

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2004, 01:45 AM
PunjabiOil*

vCash: 500
The Sun is heads and shoulders...

above the Journal.

Robin Brownlee is getting dirty to get all the latest on the Oilers, while it seems the Journal doesn't really even care what's happening.

The Sun is reporting Oil news days ahead of the Journal, and is right on top of the team.

What's happened? Has the Journal always been like that?

For example, in today's column, Jim Matheson seems clueless on what's going on with the Nedved Saga. He's not really sure whether the Oilers have offered a 2 or 3 year deal. He's also suggesting that some team may come out of nowhere and offer him 3.5 million. Not likely - I'm sure if someone wanted him that much, they would have put down an offer.

Matheson did mention the possibility of the Canucks (very unlikely), Bruins (umm, raises to Gonchar and Thorton anyone), and Chicago as possiblities. Reading the article however, it doesn't seem that Jim has much confidence in what he's writing...

In any event, being a million apart over 3 years is of course, part of negotiations. By discussing over money issues, it's safe to say Nedved does want to remain in Edmonton. I would be very surprised if he signs elsewhere.

Old
08-20-2004, 02:18 AM
oildrop

I disagree. The Edmonton Journal has been known for it's hockey and Oilers coverage much more then the Sun. The Journal has better writers and they are much more reliable too. Everytime Matheson talks about a rumour it is likely to happen. As for Jones and goofs like that at the Sun, they don't even compare to guys like Matty from the Journal, IMO.

It's not like Matheson and Brownlee and other media guys are at the negotiating table with these guys. Matheson is the best writer in Edmonton, IMO and I'm sure many others would agree. He has good sources and is rarely wrong when it comes to reporting. I think the Journal is and always was better then the Sun when it comes to sports. There hasn't been enough activity with the Oilers for anyone to report about. Most of Brownlee's stuff this summer has been speculation and he is usally off.

I wouldn't doubt that other teams are interested in Nedved and I could see those teams mentioned by Matheson being interested. Chicago is doing lots of good things this summer and I'm sure they would like a legit top 2 line Centreman. We have no idea who's put down an offer and if they have put an offer for Nedved we don't know how much it's for or how long. Nedved and his agent aren't going to publicize what is being thrown at him. We don't know half the stuff that goes on with teams and players in the hockey world. And lots of the times the teams don't allow the papers to report some of it.

Last edited by oildrop: 08-20-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old
08-20-2004, 02:31 AM
Cujo_31

like Oildrop said there's just not a lot to report on. I know the feeling though, it seems like they don't care, I just hope things pick up soon, I need my oiler fix, and if there's no season, it's going to be a verrrry long time before we get lots of articles consistantly and more stuff they can report.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:04 AM
Digger12

Who cares?

IMO the material Guy brings in beats BOTH papers, game set and match.

As for the Journal/Sun thing, IMO the Journal USED to be heads and shoulders above the Sun, but these last couple of years haven't been their glory days. Both papers get stuff wrong.

I liked Matheson more when he covered the Oilers full time, not at a passing glance like he seems to now.

Old
08-20-2004, 08:45 AM
oh_canuck

The journal was always miles ahead of the sun, but it seems lately the Journal has fewer and fewer articles from local sources and this holds true through out the paper. Where the sun has more local source reporting, although the sun will never shake the rag image it has (for things like showing unflattering pictures of figure skaters skirt shots on the cover and such) there local coverage has at least equalled the journal if not passed it....one thing to rememebr is spec and matty are both national writers at least 50% of the time.

Maybe Spec will come on to the board and expand on journal's commitment to oiler coverage and eskimo coverage etc.(not printing the eskimo stats until two days after the winnipeg win was an embarressment if you ask me), I know those team guys always skim the boards here.

Old
08-20-2004, 09:35 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Gee---Where to start

'Clueless on the Nedved saga' yeah--the Sun has been bang on

I remember when I first suggested that Nedved marriage may play into where Neved goes and the Sun had three dfferent articles saying that the marriage had nothing to do with him getting signed and then a week later Nedved gives an interview saying that the marriage will play a factor into where he goes.

The sun is a gossip mag and sometimes they hit the mother load and sometimes they don't.

Old
08-20-2004, 09:54 AM
igor*

Well The Sun is at least putting up some articles. And a lot of fans in this town are hockey-starved.

The Sun is a rag ... but the sports section has been decent for a while. The Journal does have a tendency to toe the line when it comes to the Oilers, sort of 'an Oilers POV' on a lot of things.

As far as Brownlee goes ... I know everyone was dissing him when he was siding with Comrie a bit duting his holdout ... and stating that he would not play another game as an Oiler. Matheson was always reporting something optimistic, which sold easier here ... "no problems, just part of the negotiating process, will probably sign just before camp starts, ironing out details on a contratc, etc, etc"

But at the time some guys here went back to the previous draft and deadline papers and Brownlee had been the most accurate of the E-town Oiler reporters (granted, he still missed the mark on a lot of things in the past too).

Old
08-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Elvis Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Gee---Where to start

'Clueless on the Nedved saga' yeah--the Sun has been bang on

I remember when I first suggested that Nedved marriage may play into where Neved goes and the Sun had three dfferent articles saying that the marriage had nothing to do with him getting signed and then a week later Nedved gives an interview saying that the marriage will play a factor into where he goes.

The sun is a gossip mag and sometimes they hit the mother load and sometimes they don't.
Sharkie: You may be right about The Sun coming off as a gossip mag at times, but you might want to take a look at those Nedved stories again.

Brownlee raised the issue that Nedved's marriage to Varekova would be a factor on July 20, but reported JP Barry wouldn't confirm or deny that in terms of possible interest by LA or New York. On July 27, Brownlee reported that neither LA or NY were on Nedved's shortlist of teams, poking holes in the LA-NY theory. And when you say "Nedved gives an interview" the fact is Brownlee went out and got the words right from the horse's mouth, talking to Nedved at length and getting his take, which is the one that matters, on the issue. Zip in the Journal.

We had another example this week, when the "Nedved signed in 72 hours? post was made. Nowhere in The Sun story did it say a deal would be done in 72 hours, but only that they'd agreed on the length of the contract but would spend the next three days talking money. Lowe and Barry did exactly that, but it looks like they're a long way apart. Sure enough, though, somebody will say, "Hey, Brownlee said there would be a deal in 72 hours, so he was wrong again."

I'm not saying he hasn't been wrong or that he hasn't rubbed people the wrong way, as in the Comrie saga, but I think you're shortchanging him. I'll take Matheson by a mile for his Sunday NHL coverage in Hockey World, but I read The Sun for its Oilers coverage.

Old
08-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Wolfpack

If you are so starved for Oilers stories that you are content to read a bunch of badly-written, pointless articles which may or may not be true, then by all means the Sun is where you should go. On the positive side, Brownlee has recently shown an ability to focus more on getting the facts and less on just making stuff up for the sake of meeting a deadline.

If you want to read better-written stories that are accurate more often than not, then you probably prefer the Journal. Who do you think gets more of their calls to GM's and player agents returned... Robin Brownlee or Jim Matheson?

That is the difference between a broadsheet and a tabloid in every market in the country. Broadsheet writers are told to go out and report the facts. Tabloid writers are told to fill space - it doesn't really matter with what.

By the way, I haven't seen a Spector article in the Journal for many moons - he pretty well writes exclusively for the Post, even though it is technically the same company.

Old
08-20-2004, 11:44 AM
Mizral

One thing about Canucks management is that they've been pretty consistant in terms of when they deny things. There are notable exceptions (Keenan firing comes to mind), but when Nonis says they aren't interested in Nedved in the least, there is history there to believe him. Not only that, but if you listen to everything else he's been saying this offseason, centre ice is not a big need, and the Canucks do not have a good deal of money to spend on UFA's anyways.

Old
08-20-2004, 11:44 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
In Ft Lauderdale(the one no one lieks), NY papers, and a few on line mags all brought up Nedved's marraige when the trade happened

Old
08-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Boozers

No doubt the Sun does a way better job covering the oilers. Unfourtately we get the Journal but at NAIT we get the SUN for free so its all good.

Closed Thread