HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there any truth to this? (Weekes signs with Rangers?)

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2004, 07:30 AM
BwayBshirt

vCash: 500
Is there any truth to this?

got this off the maple leafs board under the thread "leafs interested in dafoe?":

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=98637

08-18-2004, 06:44 PM #11
Mike1

Watters said today that Belfour might have to surgery for his back & Leafs were looking for another goaltender. He said Weekes is off the market & is going to the Rangers. He said Dafoe is a possibility because JFJ was interested in him at the deadline.

do any of you think this is going to happen at all?

Old
08-19-2004, 07:56 AM
tony

dunno but i saw this on spector's site this morning and i'm sure it'll interest at least one regular poster here.
http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/default.html

The following two points were speculated on today by Bill Watters when the Belfour issue was raised. Marek stated to ask about possible back-ups / starters if Belfour can't go because of surgery:

i) First name brought up - Kevin Weekes.

Bill Watters stated that Weekes has agreed to a deal with the NY Rangers and Sather is waiting for all the Arbitration rulings are done to announce the deal.

Old
08-19-2004, 09:17 AM
NYR469

this is the first i've heard of this but it wouldn't surprise me...a duo of dunham & weekes doesn't sound bad

Old
08-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
dunno but i saw this on spector's site this morning and i'm sure it'll interest at least one regular poster here.

Yeah Baby!!!!

Old
08-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Apparently Jason Labarbera is NOT part of the rebuilding process.

Old
08-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Levitate

couple of things...first who is watters and how would he know what's really going down?

sather hardly ever really tips his hand and if this guy is some "reporter" then i don't buy it as gospel.

second...why would sather be waiting until after the new CBA to sign weekes? that makes no sense...he didn't wait to sign nylander, and weekes definatly is NOT off the market if the deal isn't official...weekes could easily back out and sign with another team if this all is true. i don't see any reason why sather would wait until after the CBA to sign weekes...none. in fact it probably would be in his best interest to sign weekes now cuz like i said, some other team could come along and offer him more and he's got nothing strictly holding him until a deal is official. and if he thinks that he'll get a discount or something once the CBA is in place...i don't think weekes would go for that. so again...unless i'm missing something (always possible) the idea that sather is just waiting to sign weekes and that everything is already in place sounds like a load of crap

Edit: whoops i misread that...thought it said after the CBA, not after arbitration rulings. still not sure why sather would wait on that for any reason though...i'm not exactly gonna take this as proof positive yet. also am not very pleased with the idea of weekes...inconsistant goalie that's no better than dunham is, why exactly would the rangers be picking him up?

Last edited by Levitate: 08-19-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Old
08-19-2004, 09:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bill Watters has developed a reputation as a rumor monger.How many times has he reported something on Leafs Lunch which turned out to be wrong?Many times

Old
08-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
also am not very pleased with the idea of weekes...inconsistant goalie that's no better than dunham is, why exactly would the rangers be picking him up?
Because he IS actually better and more consistent than Dunham, and he's much better at fighting through slumps than Dunham.

Also, check out his #'s against the Rangers, the guy obviously loves playing at MSG..

Old
08-19-2004, 09:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Because he IS actually better and more consistent than Dunham, and he's much better at fighting through slumps than Dunham.

Also, check out his #'s against the Rangers, the guy obviously loves playing at MSG..
Yes, but does he love draw-strings?

Old
08-19-2004, 10:00 AM
True Blue

What's a conversation about Weekes,

without a guest appearance by Davisian.

Old
08-19-2004, 10:00 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

And, check out what Anson Carter used to do against the Rangers. That is never a good reason to bring a player in.

Old
08-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Levitate

actually look at their stats...weekes hasn't had better stats than dunham for his career...they're close but weekes has not proven to be a better goalie

dunham had a crap year last year after getting injured because sather wanted to try to play him in back to back games. but he's always been an above average goalie throughout his career. weekes is similar, not any better. so i don't see the value in weekes at this point UNLESS the idea is to sign him to a longer contract and use him to ease in the rangers goalie prospects, which might work out ok, but i worry about the contract issues...and the potential it does have to stunt some development growth among the goalies. as in it seems that labarbera is never going to get a chance unless part of the plan is to buy out dunham or something

Old
08-19-2004, 10:04 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
And, check out what Anson Carter used to do against the Rangers. That is never a good reason to bring a player in.

Not good if its the ONLY reason, but its one of a few.. He's not a #1, and he's not going to carry the team, but I think he's hands down, an upgrade over Dunham, and a better mentor to young goalies..

With or without drawstrings..

Old
08-19-2004, 10:05 AM
Fish

Quote:

Not so great last year 2.70 GAA and a save% of .899

Old
08-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Evgeny Oliker

GUYS, WAKE UP! who cares if weekes is A LITTLE BETTER than dunham or markannan or whoever! what matters here is that this will be another really stupid move to hurt the youth movement. Weekes, at 29, might come in and have a good season or two but that year or two will hurt Blackburn's development because he wont get the icetime he needs with the Rangers. then the Rangers will have Montoya ready in a year or two and again Weekes might take his icetime too. as a team in a rebuilding mode, the last thing we need is another 30 year old coming in and stealing the icetime from the kids!
this is going back to Sather's old ways and i hate it

Old
08-19-2004, 10:32 AM
kazo

Kevin Weekes is not going to bring the Rangers back to the promised land. No way, no how.

Old
08-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Levitate

eh well, it depends on how they handle it...weekes COULD block the development of the rangers goalies, or he could be a guy who is there as a backup to the growing pains of the goalies

but i just can't get excited about the thought of weekes coming to the rangers...it's like, big deal. then what are we gonna do with dunham?

Old
08-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Janerixon

if weekes is brought in it wouldnt be a terrible move as long as its no longer than a 2 year deal and its at less than 3 million a year. look we all know labarbera is never going to be a starter with the rangers, a back-up maybe but even thats wishful thinking, i was even starting to wonder if valiquette could win the backup job in camp, but if we get weekes that means we have a goalie who can play when dunham falters, whereas i dont really expect renney to just consistently play labarbera or valiquette.

weekes will give us another option to at least stay in games this season, again as long as it isnt a long term deal or an expensive contract im not going to complain because i cant see labarbera or valiquette ever becoming a legit nhl starting goalie, at least not here

this way we have weekes and whoever is ready for the nhl next season be it blackie, lundqvist if he signs, or montoya if he signs

again for me all that matters is length of contract and the money he will get

who knows, maybe we sign weekes and deal dunham somewhere, the leafs may need a goalie and dunham is in the last year of his deal, someone could need a backup come the deadline if there is a season

Old
08-19-2004, 11:07 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Not good if its the ONLY reason, but its one of a few.. He's not a #1, and he's not going to carry the team, but I think he's hands down, an upgrade over Dunham, and a better mentor to young goalies..

With or without drawstrings..
he could be good. In Carolina the team was pathetic making so many mistakes....
He would get 40 shots on him a game. If the Rangers can prevent that they've got themselves a starting goalie.

Old
08-19-2004, 11:12 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Kevin Weekes is not going to bring the Rangers back to the promised land. No way, no how.
no one expects him too...even if he was an elite #1 he still wouldn't take the current team to the promised land...

the idea would be for a duo of weekes & dunham to hopefully setup a stable situation until blackburn/montoya/lundqvist are ready...

Old
08-19-2004, 11:17 AM
canucksfan_91

Weekes signs with the Rangers?

Spectorshockey states that Kevin Weekes has agreed to a deal and Sather is waiting for all the arbitration rulings are done to announce the deal.

Old
08-19-2004, 11:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan_91
Spectorshockey states that Kevin Weekes has agreed to a deal and Sather is waiting for all the arbitration rulings are done to announce the deal.
No,Spector's mailbag reported what Bill Watters said yesterday.It's the same "source" which started this thread

Old
08-19-2004, 11:37 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
no one expects him too...even if he was an elite #1 he still wouldn't take the current team to the promised land...

the idea would be for a duo of weekes & dunham to hopefully setup a stable situation until blackburn/montoya/lundqvist are ready...
I would rather see a young player emerge out of the pack rather than pick up a Weekes. What is the poing of hanging on to young players it you don't know what the can do? So typical of the Rangers. Always afraid to let young players succed (or fail) on the stage.

I just fail to see how Dunham and Weekes can possibly help this team in the long term or even the short term. Unless we're still talking about.............playoffs? Please tell me that's not where we're still.

Old
08-19-2004, 11:38 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1
GUYS, WAKE UP! who cares if weekes is A LITTLE BETTER than dunham or markannan or whoever! what matters here is that this will be another really stupid move to hurt the youth movement. Weekes, at 29, might come in and have a good season or two but that year or two will hurt Blackburn's development because he wont get the icetime he needs with the Rangers. then the Rangers will have Montoya ready in a year or two and again Weekes might take his icetime too. as a team in a rebuilding mode, the last thing we need is another 30 year old coming in and stealing the icetime from the kids!
this is going back to Sather's old ways and i hate it
no signing weekes will allow the rangers to do the right thing and let blackburn develop in hartford were he should be...rushing blackburn back to ny will NOT help him. he needs to play in hartford and to be given time to develop for a change.

it does not hurt the youth movement in any way, shape or form because blackburn, montoya & lundqvist aren't ready for ny and dunham's contract is up at the end of the year so the following year if blackburn is ready you can have weekes & blackburn together...

the only negative effect on youth it would have is labarbera won't get a chance to be the backup unless dunham gets dealt

Old
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
nyr7andcounting

Not a bad move, if this is true. I hope we didn't overpay for him... that's the only thing that would upset me about this move.

Goalie is the most important position in hockey. The future here looks great, but none of the 3 young guys will be ready to play in NY until ATLEAST 05-06. So, we upgraded from Dunham/Valiquette to Weekes/Dunham... not bad. I assume both will get a lot of time, maybe even a 41-41 split if both are playing well. Basically, I think this year in goal is going to be a tryout between the two, to see who gets to stay here past this year or next. Even when Blackie or Montoya or even Lundqvist are ready to start, we're still going to need a veteran backup on the roster. I have a feeling that whichever goalie of the 2 plays better this year will be that backup down the road.

But, aren't arbitration cases over? Doesn't make sense for Sather to be waiting on them now, because his teams and most of the leagues cases have already been settled. The only way this reasoning would make sense is if Sather would try to sign a player whose team walked away from their arbitration award. But whose out there other than Stillman, not much, right? Now this guy who wrote the article knows more than me, so maybe Sather is waiting for something, but it doesn't seem like arbitration is what he's waiting on.

Closed Thread