HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

IIHF/Hockey Canada looking at 19-year old NHL draft?

Old
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
IIHF/Hockey Canada looking at 19-year old NHL draft?

IHFHockey IIHF
Topic of 19 year old NHL draft was also discussed at world hockey summit in Toronto, August 2010.

IIHFHockey IIHF
Hockey Canada's Bob Nicholson presented research on NHL draft to IIHF congress in Istanbul, Friday. Emphasis on 19 year old draft.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:19 AM
mooseOAK*

Makes sense from a developmental standpoint but a lawsuit from someone challenging the change is a very real possibility.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Makes sense from a developmental standpoint but a lawsuit from someone challenging the change is a very real possibility.
It would be easily defeated based on precedent established by the Maurice Clarett case, so long as the change were negotiated with the NHLPA in the next CBA.

The NHL cannot unilaterally change the age of draft eligibility.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Can't imagine this passing the smell test. |If they do not like the current draft system then maybe they should just scrap it altogether.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:06 PM
Tinalera

I wonder what the chances are this gets discussed in the next CBA-particularly if Hockey Canada pushes hard for it.

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
I wonder what the chances are this gets discussed in the next CBA-particularly if Hockey Canada pushes hard for it.
I actually wonder how much clout Hockey Canada would really have to push this through. Legally, as suggested above it would turn in to a minefield pretty quick would it not?

I also believe that Hockey Canada has it's own selfish reasons here, nothing to do with player development. Junior teams being able to hang on to the top end junior players for another year means big bucks at the gate for the teams that have those young stars. Remember the Rimouski owner trying to make an argument (and a mint) that Sidney Crosby owed their team another year of service when he was drafted as an 18 year old. Call me cynical, but I think this has just as much to do with making money for junior teams as much as anything else.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:31 PM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fehr Time View Post
I actually wonder how much clout Hockey Canada would really have to push this through. Legally, as suggested above it would turn in to a minefield pretty quick would it not?

I also believe that Hockey Canada has it's own selfish reasons here, nothing to do with player development. Junior teams being able to hang on to the top end junior players for another year means big bucks at the gate for the teams that have those young stars. Remember the Rimouski owner trying to make an argument (and a mint) that Sidney Crosby owed their team another year of service when he was drafted as an 18 year old. Call me cynical, but I think this has just as much to do with making money for junior teams as much as anything else.
Oh, I am with you in thinking it's not for aultrusic reasons, at least part of it-as the reasons you state they have an interest in having that extra year before Draft eligible.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:35 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Keep in mind there really are not alot of teams that do all that great attendance wise 12 teams at the most you could say all great markets.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:37 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:

Don't forget about the WJC's either. I imagine that would be a big behind the scenes driving force as well.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAuldie View Post
Don't forget about the WJC's either. I imagine that would be a big behind the scenes driving force as well.
That is another great point. Especially considering how frequently the tournament occurs in Canada now.

Incidentally, this would also work in favour of the KHL as well when it comes to retaining young Russian players for at least another year. Although at least those players seem to be making some semblance of an actual pro wage.

Last edited by Fehr Time*: 09-23-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old
09-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Tinalera

Would RFA time be bumped up a year as well then? I'm guessing that would pretty much be part and parcel with any CBA discussion.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:43 PM
Fehr Time*
The Don of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinalera View Post
Would RFA time be bumped up a year as well then? I'm guessing that would pretty much be part and parcel with any CBA discussion.
I think it is safe to assume that would be the league's goal no doubt. This would actually be a bit of an end around way for the league to buy an extra year of UFA. Instead of a player coming in to the league at 18 and possibly being UFA eligible as young as 25, by delaying things for a year UFA would not come until 26, at least within the parameters of the current CBA as it stands. While young 18 year olds may not always have the biggest impact on their NHL teams, as many of them progress in to their 20's they certainly do. A worthwhile tradeoff for the league I would say.

I really wonder how the discussion would go between Hockey Canada and the NHL over an issue like this. It would probably resemble a political debate where both candidates agreed with each other all the time.

Old
09-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Kimi

Assuming you bump the draft age up by a year, how do you implement it? Just skip a year or something?

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:26 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
Assuming you bump the draft age up by a year, how do you implement it? Just skip a year or something?
You could stage it over a certain period of time. Move the draft eligible birthdate by 3 months every year for four years.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
You could stage it over a certain period of time. Move the draft eligible birthdate by 3 months every year for four years.
Could be shorter.

Current draft deadline is 18 year olds with birthdays 9/15 or earlier in draft year.

So, you could do 6/30 (18.5 year olds, essentially) first year; 3/31 (18.75 yo) second year; and 12/31 third year which would have pushed 'em back to 19 year olds (or late 18s) if they started their first year in September/October after being drafted.

Old
09-23-2011, 03:48 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I like this idea.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:48 PM
chasespace

It has it's pros and cons but I don't think it would be an overly good idea.

If it does go through how would the league handle players that are head and shoulders above the rest of the players in their draft year? Adopt an exceptional status rule like the OHL so they can be drafted a year early?

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
It has it's pros and cons but I don't think it would be an overly good idea.

If it does go through how would the league handle players that are head and shoulders above the rest of the players in their draft year? Adopt an exceptional status rule like the OHL so they can be drafted a year early?
Yeah...it would be rare, but sometimes players just aren't going to get anything more from playing in juniors.

Crosby hit triple digits in points as the youngest player in the NHL on an atrocious team...hard to imagine that playing in Rimouski another year would have helped his development more than that.

I'm against it because of those rare cases...but if there's an exceptional rule thrown in...I could buy it. Then again, Jeff Skinner probably wouldn't have qualified for that exceptional status, and look what he did in the NHL as an 18 year-old.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 01:36 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=378351
TSN with more indepth article.

Hockey Canada suggests raising draft year to 19 years old, with exceptions for "exceptional player" status for 18 year olds.

Only three players selected in 2011 draft are under 19 and playing (currently) in NHL.

Old
10-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Only three players selected in 2011 draft are under 19 and playing (currently) in NHL.
There's 5 off the top of my head. It only talked about Canadian players, so it didn't count Larsson and Landeskog (even though Landeskog was a OHL player).

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 04:58 PM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/story/?id=378351
TSN with more indepth article.

Hockey Canada suggests raising draft year to 19 years old, with exceptions for "exceptional player" status for 18 year olds.

I would think that this proves that it would be unnecessary to move the draft up a year. There are only 3 players in the NHL who wouldn't be if they were drafted at 19. Last year 5 players stayed the entire year. It would make little difference overall.

Now, were they to make it so only 20 year old players can be drafted, then there would be a noticable difference. But I wouldn't care for that, I like the 18-year-old draft, and don't think it needs to be modified.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote