HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

AUS Hockey All Stars Named

Old
03-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Archie Jones

vCash: 500
AUS Hockey All Stars Named

I have to admit that I'm shaking my head a bit today with the naming of the AUS Hockey All Stars. Here's just a couple of things that caught my eye.

Breton Stamler was a plus 32 this season with 8 goals and 12 assists and is on the 2nd team defence somehow. The most important job of a defenceman used to be stopping goals from being scored. I have difficulty thinking of minus 3 and minus 26 D, as All Stars.

There is a forward on the 1st team who was a minus 3 this season. The top plus minus forward in the AUS with the third best point per game average didn't make the All Stars.

Chris Desousa had 31 points and was a plus 6 and Tyler Carroll had 26 points and was a plus 20 and neither was chosen as Rookie of the Year.

Don't our AUS coaches truly believe that strong two way players and plus players at even strength make winning teams or is it simple politics and strategic voting?

Archie Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:59 PM
AUS Fan

Individual Awards

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (Kelly Trophy): Andrew Clark, Acadia

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (A.J. MacAdam Trophy): Michael Kirkpatrick, StFX

COACH OF THE YEAR (Bob Boucher Trophy): Serge Bourgeois, Moncton

MOST SPORTSMANLIKE PLAYER (Don Wells Trophy): Dean Ouellet, Moncton

STUDENT-ATHLETE AND COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD (The Godfrey Award): Kyle Bailey, UNB

First Team All-Stars:
Goaltender: Anthony Peters, Saint Mary's (1st year - Blyth, Ont.)
Defence: Chris Owens, Acadia (2nd year - St. John's, Nfld.)
Defence: Jonathan Harty, UNB (4th year - Oromocto, N.B.)
Forward: Andrew Clark, Acadia (3rd year - Brandon, Man.)
Forward: Dean Ouellet, Moncton (4th year - Edmundston, N.B.)
Forward: Jared Gomes, UPEI (3rd year - Mississauga, Ont.)

Second Team All-Stars:
Goaltender: Pierre-Alexandre Marion, Moncton (4th year - Gatineau, Que.)
Defence: Bretton Stamler, UNB (4th year - Edmonton, Alta.)
Defence: David MacDonald, Dalhousie (5th year - Baddeck, N.S.)
Forward: Kyle Bailey, UNB (5th year - Ponoka, Alta.)
Forward: Matt Carter, UPEI (4th year - Mississauga, Ont.)
Forward: Colby Pridham, Saint Mary's (4th year - Alberton, P.E.I.)

All Rookie Team:
Goaltender: Anthony Peters, Saint Mary's (Blyth, Ont.)
Defence: Mike D'Orazio, Saint Mary's (Richmond Hill, Ont.)
Defence: Samuel Groulx, Moncton (Gatineau, Que.)
Forward: Michael Kirkpatrick, StFX (North Sydney, N.S.)
Forward: Tyler Carroll, UNB (Strathroy, Ont.)
Forward: Chris Desousa, UPEI (Mississauga, Ont.)

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:02 PM
AUS Fan

Archie, a lot of this is politics and trade-offs.

I'll vote for your guy if you vote for mine.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
FreddtFoyle

I'm with Archie. David MacDonald was a worthy all-star in past seasons but not this one. And the stats don't lie. MacDonald had 19 points and was -26. -26!!! St. Thomas rookie Felix Poulin had 20 points and was only -8 on an equally bad team and he can't even get a sniff for the All-Rookie team?! Where's the justice in that? Worse, Luke Gallant scored 26 points and was +12 and MacDonald gets the nod over him? Has to be Halifax politics.

If the coaches want a player from every team how come Dal gets MacDonald but STU get can't get more deserved honours for Poulin, their best player outside of Charlie Lavigne?

And don't get me going on Peters winning in two spots, while fellow rookie Mavric Parks had the most wins in the AUS, and veteran Travis Fullerton had one more win than Peters in fewer starts (thanks to illness/injuries) and a much better GAA.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Rob

Yeah, shocking that Felix Poulin isn't on the rookie team.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:39 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I'm with Archie. David MacDonald was a worthy all-star in past seasons but not this one. And the stats don't lie. MacDonald had 19 points and was -26. -26!!! St. Thomas rookie Felix Poulin had 20 points and was only -8 on an equally bad team and he can't even get a sniff for the All-Rookie team?! Where's the justice in that? Worse, Luke Gallant scored 26 points and was +12 and MacDonald gets the nod over him? Has to be Halifax politics.

If the coaches want a player from every team how come Dal gets MacDonald but STU get can't get more deserved honours for Poulin, their best player outside of Charlie Lavigne?

And don't get me going on Peters winning in two spots, while fellow rookie Mavric Parks had the most wins in the AUS, and veteran Travis Fullerton had one more win than Peters in fewer starts (thanks to illness/injuries) and a much better GAA.
It's not often that you and I agree to the letter but yeah...what FF said above goes double for me.

STUTOMMIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:31 AM
cishockeyfan

Agreed David Macdonald although a great player, statistically, was not deserving of first or even second team all star. Poulin from STU got gipped hard on the Rookie team Selection, heck I would have said he statiscally for his position, and the team he was on was more deserving of Rookie of the year than Kirkpatrick, as was Desousa and Carroll

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:37 AM
AUS Fan

The voting process is "fair and balanced", just like Faux News.

Old
03-08-2012, 06:55 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
The voting process is "fair and balanced", just like Faux News.
I do agree with this as well, you have 8 Coaches voting, all unable to vote for their own guy, 2 halifax Coaches, 2 Fredericton coaches, 1 Moncton, 1 Charlotetown, 1 Wolfville, 1 Antigonish, 4 NS Coaches, 4 non NS coaches. And you definately cant tell me Dalhousie and St Mary's have a system of vote for mine ill vote for yours going cause they dispise each other.

And in the end thats what surprises me about Macdonald, he earned the votes fair and square

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 10:52 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

The fact that it is coaches voting made it kind of surprising, to me atleast, that Harty was voted on the first team...I wouldn't imagine other coaches would be too fond of him, although I suppose that doesn't mean they can't respect his ability.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 02:12 PM
Archie Jones

I think a lot of it is strategic voting where coaches try to spread out the votes so their own players have a better chance of being selected. That's the only way I can understand how a Defenceman can be an ALL STAR with a minus 26! Plus of course, there's the basic resentment factor for UNB's continued success.

How else can you explain Gomes being selected to the 1st team ahead of his own teammate who had 7 more points and was a plus 3 to his minus 3. Are goals really that much more valuable than assists? Often the really difficult part of a scoring play is done by the playmaker.

Once again the coaches have snubbed Travis Fullerton who would be my starting goalie on the Overlooked AUS All Star Team. In only 13 games he had more wins than the 1st All Star goalie did in 2 more games with a much better Goals Against Average.

For the top CIS Hockey League in Canada, the year end All Star voting results in my opinion, raise a lot of questions about the whole process. Perhaps if the individual votes were made public coaches might vote differently or at least we would better understand the politics at play. We can only hope this type of selection process doesn't carry over to next year's AUS University Team going to Europe.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
AUS Fan

I hope you guys don't think that the voting is done in a vaccum. Coaches will discuss their picks with other coaches and will sometimes be convinced to change.
I do think that there is some anti UNB bias; that is bound to happen.

If you think this is bad, wait until Bailey or Clark are sacrificed so that the other can win the corresponding CIS award. Cam Fergus got jobbed two years in a row by not winning the Most Sportsmanlike so that another AUS player could win a major.

Old
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
And you definately cant tell me Dalhousie and St Mary's have a system of vote for mine ill vote for yours going cause they dispise each other.
I could tell you different based on my angle of it. RMC coaches helped Adam Shell pick his OUA East all starts, and we voted for Corey Bureau, Riley Whitlock and Jon Lawrence from Queen's to their awards. And we HATE Queen's. Oldest hockey rivalry in the world. And we know Brett Gibson from Queen's picked Alex Pym and Scott Domenico for OUA East all rookie. Steinburg isint a jerk from my conversations with him so Im sure if there was a guy from Dalhousie that deserves to be picked over a guy from STU, Im sure he would pick the Tiger

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Archie Jones

It's good that despite all the politics and bias that the AUS coaches did select a few of the excellent players that helped their teams have very successful seasons and playoff series to make it to the AUS finals.
Isn't strange how honest two way players with positive plus minus numbers actually help their teams achieve that type of success as compared to the players that are more productive mainly during man power advantages!

Old
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Archie Jones

He wasn't named an AUS All Star but #57 on UNB is sure making a statement and playing like one in these playoffs although with the 3rd highest point per game average and the best plus minus of all AUS forwards some would argue that he did the same thing in the regular season.

Old
03-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Island Husky

I see the Going Pro thread is closed or something, so here is as good a place as any, I forget where we used to put them, CIS Recruiting? Anyway Matt Carter
http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Sports/...ith-Cyclones/1

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote