HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George McPhee

Old
09-18-2011, 09:52 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

vCash: 500
George McPhee

I know this is a young board posting wise but did any of you older guys ever go to George's Blue Moon Cafe Resto when he played for us? He was always there when not playing and was one of the nicest guys to hang with and talk Hockey..His best friend was James Patrick and James was there quite often too..He was such a little dude but with the heart of a lion..Best pound per pound scrapper I have ever seen.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:12 AM
HoosierDaddy

Not too shabby a GM either.

Never went to his club, but then again, what these guys do outside the rink doesn't interest me all that much.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Garv23

Easily my favorite McPhee moment was in '86 playoffs against Philly when he fought Tocchet. Set the tone for the series. I even remember him taking it to Dave freakin' Brown!

He was one of my favorites.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Yeah, him and Stan Jonathan. That would have been one of the best fights ever.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 01:55 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Wasnt a Club it was a good Mex Resto w/small Bar..
Boy did he hate the Flyers and Dave Brown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Not too shabby a GM either.

Never went to his club, but then again, what these guys do outside the rink doesn't interest me all that much.

Old
09-18-2011, 02:36 PM
pjcnyr22

I sat next to him at a Utica Devils game years ago. I loved him when he played on the Rangers.

pjcnyr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 03:01 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmJC2rgjJps

Not Stan but puts a beating on Markwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Yeah, him and Stan Jonathan. That would have been one of the best fights ever.

Old
09-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
I was a young guy like 13 or 14 when George destroyed Dave Lagavin of the Islanders in a fight. The following game he was a scratch and talking to a very pretty woman when I walked over and starting calling him George the Animal and he laughed and she asked why and I told her he beats people bloody and she shook her head and smiled and George said "I go to law school in the off season" lol We became very good friends for his entire playing career and even had dinner a few times when lived in NJ. Great guy who was one tough sob.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 09:21 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

McPhee was one of my favorite rangers too, the guy was all nails.

I didn't know he owned that restaurant but it makes sense now because that restaurant was always giving away dinners and sponsoring rangers on the telecast.

Maybe when slats leaves McPhee can punk Messier out of the job ?

here is the Tocchet fight and boy did George throw a few nice ones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKyJI...eature=related

and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ZWQ...eature=related

Last edited by donpaulo: 09-18-2011 at 09:29 PM.
donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:57 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

First hockey game I ever went to was, unfortunately, a Devils game when George McPhee was playing for them. He was one of my dad's favorite players, so much so that when George scored the first goal about 3 or 4 minutes into the game, my dad went absolutely nuts. It being my first hockey game, and obviously looking up to my dad, I did the same and as a result liked the Devils and the Rangers for a bit growing up. That all changed in 1994 when they played against each other in that epic series and I had to make a choice, but it's one of my fondest earliest hockey memories..even if it was a Devils game!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 09-20-2011 at 10:00 AM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
gluvhand

Greschner was a partner in Blue Moon also I believe. He held onto his piece for quite a while.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Greschner was a partner in Blue Moon also I believe. He held onto his piece for quite a while.
This more prominent memory than McPhee ownership.
Never went then
See a small # of Blue Moon's around Manhattan.
Not sure which, if any, was his/theirs.

Geo McP was a solid standup guy on ice, hard working. In the plus column of NYr former players, IMO.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I know this is a young board posting wise but did any of you older guys ever go to George's Blue Moon Cafe Resto when he played for us? He was always there when not playing and was one of the nicest guys to hang with and talk Hockey..His best friend was James Patrick and James was there quite often too..He was such a little dude but with the heart of a lion..Best pound per pound scrapper I have ever seen.
Are you talking about the one on 1st Avenue in the 70's? It's still there and I was told James Patrick owns it. I've actually never been there (there was a Blue Moon near my parents house in NJ that had horrible food, but I keep telling myself to get over it and just go for a beer and a game), but I do notice that they seem to play every Sabres and Rangers game, and have hockey on throughout the season.

Bit of a difference from Warren 77...

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:07 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
went a few times. a friend of mine was good friends with the chef and we used to get free food during the day.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceboro View Post
We hate the Caps, but do you older fans still have a like for McPhee?
can't speak for anyone else, but I do.

I'm surprised it's taken him this long to realize that he needs the grit that Brouwer and Ward are going to provide to make that team a true and legit Cup contender.

Will always be one of my favorite Rangers.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceboro View Post
We hate the Caps, but do you older fans still have a like for McPhee?
Funny, I hate the caps now (and then too) but that doesn't transfer to McPhee. I don't even remember him playing for anyone else but the Rangers.

I don't know how many of you know this, but McPhee was involved in one of the worst incidents in professional hockey. There was a solid NHL player by the name of Ed Kea who was on the downswing in his career and playing in the minors. He was one of the last NHL players to play without a helmet. McPhee hit Kea with a hard clean check and Kea went head first to the ice and suffered severe brain damage. His NHL career was instantly over and he nearly died. He had a wife and small children. Kea was physically and mentally disabled for rest of his life, drowning in his family's pool about 15 years later. McPhee went to stay with Kea's family to help them but he was never sure if Kea knew who he was. When an insurance representative came to speak to the Ranger team he used Kea as an example of catastrophic injury. When the insurance rep said Kea's name every Ranger instinctively turned to stare at McPhee because they all knew the story. McPhee has lived with this his whole life.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:55 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

In the 70's sounds about right..Very small place,Bar was in the front right of the place..We got a kitchen tour and remember the stairs down to the kitchen were steep as hell..George was a great guy who was very humble..Few times we would head there on Fri nights have many drinks and then he would go off to the Hamptons..We would rag on him for that..I believe he actually won the Hobey Baker Award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Are you talking about the one on 1st Avenue in the 70's? It's still there and I was told James Patrick owns it. I've actually never been there (there was a Blue Moon near my parents house in NJ that had horrible food, but I keep telling myself to get over it and just go for a beer and a game), but I do notice that they seem to play every Sabres and Rangers game, and have hockey on throughout the season.

Bit of a difference from Warren 77...

Old
09-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Chief

Met McPhee twice.

I went to TGO's HOF induction, Rangers played the Leafs in the Saturday game, and stayed at the same hotel as the team and many of the HOF'rs. McPhee was hanging at the bar and he and Bill Torrey let me into their conversation. Both were very accommodating. Also at the bar was Tony Esposito who held court with his wife and loved to tell stories.

Met McPhee years earlier when he played for the Rangers after a game. Was a nice guy then too and really didn't seem to want all the attention. He kept telling everyone that Anders Hedberg was a few steps ahead (which he was) so they'd go surround Hedberg.

Went to Blue Moon pretty often as a friend lived a couple of blocks away. Never met a Ranger there but baseball players were always there, like Piazza.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 09:18 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

That's a crazy story about McPhee and Ed Kea. Shame man because McPhee is such a good guy.

On a personal level, I was too young to remember him as a player but he's been good to my friends and family; my uncle filmed weddings all around NYC in the 80s and McPhee was a guest at one of the weddings. He pretty much hung out with my uncle the entire evening and did a mock talk show with him. I've seen the video, it's pretty ridiculous. They actually bumped into each other at the playoffs this past spring and joked about it all these years later.

He also hooked up a friend of mine with an internship in DC.

I can't even hate these Caps and a big reason is GMGM and Ovechkin; this is not the Mike Liut/Dino Cicareli/Kevin Hatcher/Michal Pivonka Caps who used to slug it out with the Rangers all the time in the mid 80s/early 90s, they had some epic playoff series and usually the lower seed would win.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote