HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone gain confidence in DP?

Old
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Hockify

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto91 View Post
How can any fan gain anything from 1 season game .......

DP's brain farts will most likely return......

Don't want them too...but....I do not see a break in thought process yet
That's true but if he had done bad there would be plenty of fans swearing they know all there is to know about his game.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:47 AM
OpAck

Let's revisit this thread in January, and again in April. And that's only if he's our starter throughout the whole season. We'll analyze his stats and his health and we can determine if there warrants an increase in confidence.

With everything he's been through and seen from him during his recuperation...40 minutes of preseason hockey is not nearly enough. Not by a longshot.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 04:15 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
That's true but if he had done bad there would be plenty of fans swearing they know all there is to know about his game.
And the folks who can't tolerate any non-positive views about Rick are trying to spike the football after 2 out of three periods of play? That's funnier, and not a little funnier, but a lot funnier.

The problem we saw from RD last year was he could have a couple of decent games, but then the knee blows up like a balloon, or he devolves into a non-mobile mess in goal who needs help even getting up off the ice.

Sorry, but this thread itself is one giant piece of troll bait by folks who think they have the moral high ground by taking a positive thoughts only position on Rick. At best it is misguided and entirely premature. At worst it is ignorant of his history.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:03 PM
IslesandHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I'll be honest. I don't want him on the team anymore. Even if he's putting up a Vezina performance, it's only a matter of time before he gets seriously injured & leaves this organization high & dry. There is just no reason to ever have any faith in his ability to stay off IR.

He's just a constant headache. 3 goalie systems do not work. They didn't work 2 years ago, and they won't work now either. and if Rick is playing well in the games he gets, I don't want the club to trade one of the other 2 at midseason & think they can get by with Rick.

Lastly, the nonsense of babying Rick has to stop. I don't care if it's his scheduled day off, if the other goalie is having a poor game, then yank him out & bring in DP. I don't care if it's DPs day to play. If he stinks, then get him out of there. There were at least 6 games last year where a goalie change was warranted but Gordon/Capuano weren't allowed to make the move. Rick shouldn't be above the team & that is exactly how Wang treats him.
Agree 1000000000% Agree that he needs to be off the team, but reality then hits me and tells me that I'd rather have him as an option than a Yashin cap hit biting us in the ass for the next 10 years. Put him in BPort, let Nabby and Montoya play and if he proves he can play for an extended period of time at a top level bring him up for a tryout at the end of the year. Maybe he can earn a spot next year if he plays a full year in BPort... treat him like everyone else, if you can't cut it here then you shouldn't play here.

I also agree that they can't let him affect how the team is run and the contents of it. The goalies we have, if they play up to potential, will get us to where we want to be. No need to get rid of one of them because Ricky decides to play more than 5 games in a row.

IslesandHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:23 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
And the folks who can't tolerate any non-positive views about Rick are trying to spike the football after 2 out of three periods of play? That's funnier, and not a little funnier, but a lot funnier.

The problem we saw from RD last year was he could have a couple of decent games, but then the knee blows up like a balloon, or he devolves into a non-mobile mess in goal who needs help even getting up off the ice.

Sorry, but this thread itself is one giant piece of troll bait by folks who think they have the moral high ground by taking a positive thoughts only position on Rick. At best it is misguided and entirely premature. At worst it is ignorant of his history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesandHawks View Post
Agree 1000000000% Agree that he needs to be off the team, but reality then hits me and tells me that I'd rather have him as an option than a Yashin cap hit biting us in the ass for the next 10 years. Put him in BPort, let Nabby and Montoya play and if he proves he can play for an extended period of time at a top level bring him up for a tryout at the end of the year. Maybe he can earn a spot next year if he plays a full year in BPort... treat him like everyone else, if you can't cut it here then you shouldn't play here.

I also agree that they can't let him affect how the team is run and the contents of it. The goalies we have, if they play up to potential, will get us to where we want to be. No need to get rid of one of them because Ricky decides to play more than 5 games in a row.
Ditto that.

It isn't about DP looking good in one game. It's that 6 games later the old injuries start echoing back, he either covers it up or downplays it enough to convince coaches to keep feeding him starts, despite the bad results. It's better to have a convalescing ex-All Star in your developmental team posting better numbers and regaining confidence than breaking him mentally & physically, putting up shoddy numbers on the top club.

It's about the success of the ISLANDERS for me, not just DiPietro - no haterade or extra vitriol included - I just don't want him negating Snow's designs for the roster or stalling the progress set in motion the season by Tavares & Company.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:39 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 50
Quote:

I thought we were supposed to be positive about the entire team, especially a guy that will be in net to start off the season. From what I've seen all summer and and in that game, there were much more positives then negatives for Rick. No rehabbing for the first time in a couple years. Coming into training camp healthy for the first time in a couple years. Everyone is thinking positive about a guy like Nino, who is an unproven player. How can we think positive about a guy that has 9 games under his belt in the NHL? How can we think positive about Okposo and Streit? I understand that DP has been an unrealiable player because of his injuries. All I'm saying is that why not think positive about him? The guy is our starting goalie (no matter what anyone thinks.) He had a positive offseason and first two periods against the defending Stanley Cup champs. From what I've read on these boards, it sounds like this is supposed to be a positive season (which I think it is too.) Let's not ruin that by thinking negative on things that happend in the past, when the past is something we're all trying to not think about.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:49 PM
ScaredStreit

Whether we like it or not: Rick is here to stay. He's not going anywhere. And if he's healthy, he's going to be splitting starts (at the minimum). Just the way it is. Everyone can whine all they want-not going to change a thing.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

I know it's a big shout, but I feel Pascal Leclaire could be the perfect replacement for DP

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 06:06 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
I thought we were supposed to be positive about the entire team, especially a guy that will be in net to start off the season. From what I've seen all summer and and in that game, there were much more positives then negatives for Rick. No rehabbing for the first time in a couple years. Coming into training camp healthy for the first time in a couple years. Everyone is thinking positive about a guy like Nino, who is an unproven player. How can we think positive about a guy that has 9 games under his belt in the NHL? How can we think positive about Okposo and Streit? I understand that DP has been an unrealiable player because of his injuries. All I'm saying is that why not think positive about him? The guy is our starting goalie (no matter what anyone thinks.) He had a positive offseason and first two periods against the defending Stanley Cup champs. From what I've read on these boards, it sounds like this is supposed to be a positive season (which I think it is too.) Let's not ruin that by thinking negative on things that happend in the past, when the past is something we're all trying to not think about.
It's absolutely supposed to be a season of positives....but I still don't think that the portion of the fanbase that feels a bit more 'snakebitten' after having seen DiPietro's previous comeback attempts shouldn't be made to feel like their opinion on the matter is evil, trolling, or taboo. As far as him being the starting goaltender, the years during which he has been the starter have been rocky, to say the least. Is admitting the fact that DiPietro could get his game together where a injury blip or two doesn't take subtract from the maximum number of points the Islanders can pick up in the standings as bad as "OMG he SUX!!!11!!!"? I don't think so.

I know I'm 'snakebitten' enough to be more willing to entertain other options on the big club - at the same time DP can recoup his game and make a more patient and better calculated comeback. Please don't make a mistaken assumption from my avatar; it was done about the time when the team was blatantly winning more with Montoya while losing more with DP. I don't want Rick out of the organization - just placed where his hopeful return to NHL ice coincides with the smooth transfer of 'face of franchise' to John Tavares in full.

This isn't "DP's team" anymore; it's no longer a matter of "the Islanders will go as far as DP takes them" as it was in years past. All the fuzzy feelings of how bad he wants to be an Islander and how proud he is to wear the jersey are great, but if he repeats last season's performance this year, he's slowing the return to respectability for the team in more ways than one. The team looks silly for not being able to properly minimize a liability that negates the work done to end the rebuild, and we fans look foolish for not being able to look at the situation with fewer hearts and more brains.

Everything I've said there is factual and not intend to troll, be negative or 'call anyone out.' If people wish to express that they're not convinced by 40 decent minutes of hockey, it's their right just as much as it is for those who are hoping DP returns successfully to express delight at the same 40 minutes. My opinion is and has been for at least 18 months that DP needs more than a few games or a few weeks to test his body's reaction to a starter's ice time where it doesn't take away from what JT, Streit and the rest do on the ice and what Snow, Weight & Capuano do behind the bench and in the front office. It's going to take more than one game to change that, and I'd rather it be in the AHL. If it's not and DP excels this year, my concerns will go away over time and I'll get less nervous watching him play hockey as long as his stats make it reasonable. If he takes NHL starts this year and stumbles, I expect him to be placed on the depth chart like respectability, the Playoffs and the Stanley Cup are more important to the organization than the DiPietro Redemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredStreit View Post
Whether we like it or not: Rick is here to stay. He's not going anywhere. And if he's healthy, he's going to be splitting starts (at the minimum). Just the way it is. Everyone can whine all they want-not going to change a thing.
Right - and here's why I'm fine with that wording.

• DP plays well, the team moves forward regardless of who's in net. Haters silenced, bridges rebuilt, and after time watching him play won't make me jittery anymore.

• DP stumbles, the team again has options to fall back on - options that can STEAL the starting position away from DP if their play is of such a quality. The team, rumored to be reading the writing on the wall if DP's stats can't hold water this season, either makes the decision to shut him down for the year or assign him to the Bridge (no one would touch him on waivers....and if someone did, I'd at least hope he'd be the "Grabner-level" acquisition for them, at least for a few seasons,) and the team continues onward and upward.

Basically, the team's gotta keep going with or without him. If there's one thing that those who get a little mad if they think someone's slinging mud DP's way can't deny, in recent history, the Islanders have looked much better without.

Last edited by CanseiDeSerBreakcore: 09-24-2011 at 06:14 PM.
CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
Granted some criticism can go over the top, but I can't think of a better way to ruin this season than by letting a gimpy goaltender who is a major distraction all on his own back in net when you have possibly three better goaltenders to pull from.

They will try to play Rick for one reason and one reason only: that dumb ass contract that Wang hobbled the organization with. If that albatross of an agreement was not in place, any sane team would have Rick either bought out or in the minors. Every game they lose this year when he turns into a mess in net will be its own little dagger to the hopes of this club this season. They will become examples of Uncle Wang putting Rick's interests ahead of every other player, and no doubt it will be followed up in the media with more "I am the goaltender, everyone else is pooh in my toilet" statements from Mr. Team Player himself.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:23 AM
OlTimeHockey

His comments from the early offseason about competition have earned my distrust of him being any kind of asset to the team. "What competition?"

He's the third ranked goalie among the three and should be siting. Nabokov IS an All Star (not by default). Montoya had the best record of the three last year (including Nabby's Russian stats). Rick was awful and though he's a self proclaimed "yogi" now, he's gotta fight to earn a spot. Even with his contract.

Nothing changes that.

Even Wang starting him and insisting he be the starter because of the personal rapport he has. It's UNPROFESSIONAL to make him anything but a #3. We'll see how Nabokov's preseason shapes up, but thus far Montoya's been the best (Poulin is going to the AHL).

Now during the season Rick can prove everyone but the few wrong, but in a year? He's useless. Maybe two. Montoya and Poulin and Nilsson will hopefully erase Rick from our memory when we start evolving to where we should (and much props for Snow - and maybe even Wang if he allows it).

Rick is, or should be, enjoying the sunrise on a failed NHL career. He has made a ton of dough, enjoyed superficial adulation and been bandied about like he were a Cassidy brother. He loses games as often as he wins them for us, his defense is so much more often drawn to play goalie than any other defensemen in the league.....it's foolish.

He gets a chance to earn our respect again like he did his one disciplined year and half the next, but c'mon......what is it when you fool me 150 times? Shame on who?

Wang can name him starter and he'll play and get booed and fail or if lucky get hurt. He has NO KNEE, so I hope he plays spectacular during his time on the ice for us. I don't want to throw a season away that looks so promising because of our weakest link.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:41 AM
bigdom1012

its time for dp to put up or **** i just watched interviews with him sayin how he feels great and is ready...i wish a reporter had the balls to say to him "put up or shut up ***** , there is montoya n nabby breathing down your neck for #1, isles fans are no longer dpending on you to be number one the day of joey macdonald and yann denis are done so your days are numbered"

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:36 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Not enough of a sample size to make any decree.

Happy he did well. Would never root against him. He's all Islander.
Enough said...

09-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
I don't see a single post trying to "spike the football" from the people posting positively in here. Every post I see that is positive on the subject has qualifiers like "it's only one game" and "hopefully," and fully acknowledges that nothing is proven by this. Maybe I missed all these posts?

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:49 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Let's revisit this thread in January, and again in April. And that's only if he's our starter throughout the whole season. We'll analyze his stats and his health and we can determine if there warrants an increase in confidence.

With everything he's been through and seen from him during his recuperation...40 minutes of preseason hockey is not nearly enough. Not by a longshot.
second this- though I have no interest in revisiting in January because that's just half a season. when the season's over, if DP's made it through, i may THEN begin to believe he's got a shot at continuing his CAREER (which one season does not make). i'm rooting for him BECAUSE he's an Islander. even if he had one more flash in the pan season this year, i'd take it. our young goalies (nilsson and poulin) are not ready... but i believe one or both will be soon.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:14 AM
seafoam
Do The Panic

If we can praise Streit or player XYZ after one game, then we should be able to praise DP after one game as well.

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:50 AM
stevedepot

Did not gain confidence nor gained any disdain.

I did gain concern because I did not see DiPietro do what he used to do before all the surgeries. o down in the butterfly and push off left to right. As he should have done on that goal by David Krejci who picked it up in the slot and made a move around him.
DP reached to his right with his torso and glove...right leg what stationary. Made me wonder about that knee. He's been doing Yoga and that should help him.

On the plus side he did not wander and only semblance of a giveaway was playing the puck behind the net and having it taken away by Marchand who came up behind him. That wasn't his fault as it probably was poor communication with defensemen. It's only 1 preseason game. Need to see more but last night I saw Poulin (2 kneecap dislocations) do exactly what DP hasn't.
Move left to right quickly in the butterfly position. Something to look for with DP. Just pointing it out.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:56 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
If we can praise Streit or player XYZ after one game, then we should be able to praise DP after one game as well.
Streit was great before his injury season and looks to be where he left off, and player XYZ comes in proving himself good and not proving himself better than the last two seasons.

There is a subtle difference.

If someone praises a player who has made ridiculous moves and mind-dumning antics that cost us points and/or games, we can compare their adulation to DP's, but right now, we have a really bad performer who had a very good season and a half talked up by many as the best in the game or close to it who has a ruined knee, an ego that just annoys everyone (well, save for the faithful) and whose starts will either help us win or anchor us out of contention and we've seen it before.

He puts up AND shuts up or I'll be cheering loudest when Poulin sends him to AARP land.

Rick's got competition. He didn't want to admit it last spring and got quite angry, but let's let primadonnas be primadonnas and hope it plays out well for THE TEAM.

Old
09-25-2011, 01:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
Did not gain confidence nor gained any disdain.

I did gain concern because I did not see DiPietro do what he used to do before all the surgeries. o down in the butterfly and push off left to right. As he should have done on that goal by David Krejci who picked it up in the slot and made a move around him.
DP reached to his right with his torso and glove...right leg what stationary. Made me wonder about that knee. He's been doing Yoga and that should help him.

On the plus side he did not wander and only semblance of a giveaway was playing the puck behind the net and having it taken away by Marchand who came up behind him. That wasn't his fault as it probably was poor communication with defensemen. It's only 1 preseason game. Need to see more but last night I saw Poulin (2 kneecap dislocations) do exactly what DP hasn't.
Move left to right quickly in the butterfly position. Something to look for with DP. Just pointing it out.
the knee's shot. The surgery was a second scope and flattened a ball joint. He will have a great chance at a normal life but an uphill battle at playing goalie in the toughest league in the world. If he's limiting the use of said knee, he can adapt and use it in his technique, but he's not gonna be without problems for life with it.

It's permanent. But it's holding up, so.....adapt and overcome. Just earn those starts, please.

Old
09-25-2011, 02:52 PM
LAIslanderFan

Looking at this from a practical standpoint, the first thing that comes to mind is DP's contract. He has 10 years left. Based on that alone, he will be given every chance to succeed. Unless DP has another injury setback this year, he's one of the Islander goalies.

As far as goalie #2. Someone needs to be traded. I know the general concensus has been that Naby will be traded. I don't think that's the case. My sense is that there is more value in Montoya. I think at some point Montoya will be moved and DP will share the goaltending duties with Naby. If Naby isn't preforming, we'll see Poulin brought up.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
seafoam
Do The Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Streit was great before his injury season and looks to be where he left off, and player XYZ comes in proving himself good and not proving himself better than the last two seasons.

There is a subtle difference.

If someone praises a player who
has made ridiculous moves and mind-dumning antics that cost us points and/or games, we can compare their adulation to DP's, but right now, we have a really bad performer who had a very good season and a half talked up by
many as the best in the game or close to it who has a ruined knee, an ego that just annoys everyone (well, save for the faithful) and whose starts will either help us win or anchor us out of contention and
we've seen it before.

He puts up AND shuts up or I'll be cheering loudest when Poulin sends him to AARP land.

Rick's got competition. He didn't
want to admit it last spring and got quite angry, but let's let primadonnas be primadonnas and hope it plays out well for THE TEAM.
Touche'

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:01 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I don't see a single post trying to "spike the football" from the people posting positively in here. Every post I see that is positive on the subject has qualifiers like "it's only one game" and "hopefully," and fully acknowledges that nothing is proven by this. Maybe I missed all these posts?
The thread itself is one giant "I dare you to disagree" kind of statement.

Regarding individual posts I even responded to one poster who asked "what else is there to do but be positive," or something along those lines.

If (when) he goes down with more swelling or whatever is it ok to make a similar stand alone thread asking if we feel better about him being closer to punching his retirement ticket? I wouldn't want it, just showing the opposite side to this coin.

Old
09-25-2011, 07:08 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
the knee's shot. The surgery was a second scope and flattened a ball joint. He will have a great chance at a normal life but an uphill battle at playing goalie in the toughest league in the world. If he's limiting the use of said knee, he can adapt and use it in his technique, but he's not gonna be without problems for life with it.

It's permanent. But it's holding up, so.....adapt and overcome. Just earn those starts, please.
I am no stranger to knee injuries myself. I wonder how much range of motion he's lost to each of the joints that were repaired. I've lost 15%, had great surgeons but nonetheless lost about 15% in one knee and that was all done using a scope. If he really has flattened a ball joint and lost any of his cart it is hard to imagine this little experiment of theirs goes the entire season without him going out for good (and/or looking really sad/pathetic in the process.)

Old
09-25-2011, 09:31 PM
TheBoss22

I'm not taking a stance on DP right now and the Isles goalie rankings yet, because it's far too early.

However, I do want people to get the quote right.

Rick never said "What competition?" Unless, there is another interview that I'm not aware of.

Katie was talking about 3 goalies, and Rick wanted clarification on who the other goalie she was referring to. His words were "Who are we talking about?"

Which is totally understandable since Poulin missed the end of the year with his knee cap injury. It is Strang doing the interview afterall. For all DP knew, she was referring to Cody Rosen.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
The thread itself is one giant "I dare you to disagree" kind of statement.

Regarding individual posts I even responded to one poster who asked "what else is there to do but be positive," or something along those lines.

If (when) he goes down with more swelling or whatever is it ok to make a similar stand alone thread asking if we feel better about him being closer to punching his retirement ticket? I wouldn't want it, just showing the opposite side to this coin.
That post was a response to the spike the football post, so I doubt it's one of the posts that caused you to make that comment. But even that aside, the post acknowledges that the poster is just trying to be positive, which would imply he knows it's anything but a slam dunk.

And if/when he does go down again, I am sure there will be many many many posts discussing how posters' lack of confidence in DP's to play at a high level. Hell, there are plenty of posts in this thread saying discussing that.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote