I know these threads are a bit navel-gazy but I was curious as to what the general fantasy community thought of my draft.
League Type: Head-to-Head # of teams: 16 Draft position: 3rd
Positions: 3x (LW, C, RW), 6 x D, 2 x G, 5 x Bench Stats: Skaters: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, SOG Goalies: W, GAA, S%, SO
C - Jeff Carter - CLS (C/RW)
C - Matt Duchenne - COL
C - Derek Roy - BUF
C - Peter Mueller - COL (C/LW)
LW - Alex Ovechkin - WAS
LW - Zach Parise - NJD
LW - Jamie Benn - DAL
LW - Gabriel Landeskog - COL
RW - Chris Stewart - STL
RW - Nathan Horton - BOS
RW - Ales Hemsky - EDM
RW - Blake Wheeler - WPG
D - Brent Seabrook - CHI
D - Ryan Suter - NSH
D - Matt Carle - PHI
D - David Rundblad - OTT
D - Michael Del Zotto - NYR
D - Kris Russell - CLS
D - Deryk Engelland - PIT
G - Cam Ward - CAR
G - Evgeni Nabokov - NYI
G - Rick DiPietro - NYI
My personal impression:
- Fairly happy with my forwards (deep all the way through for a 16 team draft)
- Okay D. Seabrook and Suter are great, but I started reaching later on in the draft with Rundblad and MDZ. It was part of my draft strategy, grab forwards early and often and fill in the holes
- G - If Cam Ward goes down, I will lose most goalie matchups. Was gonna take Steve Mason but he was drafted one spot before me . So I was island-bound (There were literally no more starters left). I've got Nabbie and Dipietro, but if Montoya gets the job it'll be a big blow. I was hoping one of the two get the starts and then turfing the other for an extra forward.
Thanks for the input so far guys! Yeah I had a look through other team rosters and most everyone is weak on G. There are maybe 3 teams that may have disposable G starters that I may target once they are hurting for a hot forward. Here are the Goalie setups throughout the league
- Ward, Nabokov, DiPietro
- Vokoun, Bernier, Khabibulin, JS Giguere (Throw enough at a wall and see what sticks?)
- Smith, Montoya, Clemmensen (Autopick, the guy was furious lol)
- Fleury, Halak, Varlamov (Smart picker and solid G)
- Lundqvist, Bryzgalov, Garon ( Solid)
- Niemi, Backstrom, Johnson
- Rinne, Lehtonen, Dekanich?
- Howard, Hiller, Conklin
- Thomas, Pavelec, Lindback
- Kiprusoff, Anderson, Hedberg
- Quick, Schneider
- Luongo, Brodeur, Reimer
- Theodore, Dubnyk, Nittymaki
- Price, Rask
- Miller, Roloson, Neuvirth
- Crawford, Steve Mason, Bobrovsky
Varlamov and Reimer are what I feel could be possible targets. But yeah, Some conservative teams have 2 starters. Some, have 1.25
I'm hoping I have 2, but right now it looks like I have 1.67. Can't believe I'm stuck on Wang Island
So about 5-10 games into the season I'm hoping I can see who the starter in NYI is and turf the other guy if he is the 3rd G.
Last edited by Nostradanglus: 09-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.
With 16 teams everybody is probably weak at that position.
Overall, pretty balanced. Your D could use some work though. Keep tabs on the FA market. There's always 3-4 defensemen that breakout that nobody saw coming.
Yeah I know what you mean there. Last year I had an autopick team with terrible D so I turfed alot of them and had the luck of picking up Fowler and Shattenkirk. This year those guys are fairly out of reach. What do you think of picking up Larsson from NJD in exchange for any of my current D?
Very loaded upfront, nice job there. Defense is okay but goaltending... you're ****ed if Montoya turns out to be the NYI's starter or at least take up a lot of games.
Yeah tell me about it!
Here's to hoping Nabbie still has a few good years left and DiPietro plays like the #1 he is paid to be. The scary part is that Montoya got the lion's share of starts at the end of last season and did better than okay.
So I've had an itchy trigger finger and have decided to do the following moves in terms of D:
Waive: Kris Russell CBJ for Adam Larsson NJD
Waive: Deryk Engelland PIT for Stefan Elliott COL
With a D core of:
Del Zotto NYR
I know that the last 4 aren't even certainties in making their respective team, but I figure compared to a goon and a 25ish point vet there isn't too much to lose if 1 or 2 of them pan out this year. Rundblad, Larsson and Elliott are on comparatively weak teams that may give them PP minutes if they start producing early. Waivers will go through on the 26th and my waiver seed at the moment is 3rd last (meh). For the ones that don't work out I can drop them for more PIMs for any young sparkplug stepping up in the league.
Is this a good move or am I just hogging all the Calder candidates?
Note: Kris Russell was projected as a 39 point defenceman on the Dobber Hockey list which is why I picked him when all of my favourites were gone. Any idea why he would be picked that high given his lacklustre history and spot on the depth chart?
Last edited by Nostradanglus: 09-24-2011 at 11:39 PM.