HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Chambers has agreed to pay $25 million to unload his 47 percent stake in the team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
  #276
Scott04
Registered User
 
Scott04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
People aren't priced out of TV. The Rangers are a hockey team. They are not popular. Popularity in most US hockey markets is "relative".
That's more an issue of the popularity of hockey on TV in this area than it is the Rangers popularity. If their ratings exceed that of the Devils and Islanders, who are broadcast on the same family of networks, then its a knock on the product as a whole more so than the Rangers as an individual team. The Knicks draw ratings above those of the 3 hockey teams combined. Yes, that's mostly after the Carmelo trade, but they still weren't exactly a title contender after that trade. The issue here (when discussing tv ratings) is the sport, not the team.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:02 PM
  #277
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.
 
Baggy Spandex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fake Rangerfanville
Country: United States
Posts: 3,666
vCash: 500
Is it safe to assume, in retrospect, that we can thank the hockey gods that we moved to Newark, no matter what the current financial situation? Hypothetically, what would happen if they stayed at CAA?

It seems this arena is as much of a godsend as the 1995 Cup was.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:19 AM
  #278
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
This thread is fast approaching the top 10 all-time "I wish I could delete it" list.

the GOAAAAAAAAL Soccer Thread is safe another day I guess.

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:26 AM
  #279
theking72
Confucius Ackbar
 
theking72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,096
vCash: 500
We haz no fans!

/end thread

theking72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:38 AM
  #280
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
This thread is fast approaching the top 10 all-time "I wish I could delete it" list.

the GOAAAAAAAAL Soccer Thread is safe another day I guess.
We all would like to delete it, RG, but until it is settled there will be news trickling out every so often.

Don't you be hatin on my soccer thread. If it goes, I bring it back to the TaN.

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:06 AM
  #281
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,808
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
We all would like to delete it, RG, but until it is settled there will be news trickling out every so often.

Don't you be hatin on my soccer thread. If it goes, I bring it back to the TaN.
Nooooooooooooooooo. It stays [ignored]

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
  #282
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korean Devil 23 View Post
Even though bankruptcy is bad, the Devils can still recover from it, right?

Yes. Worst case scenario for fans is probably that the team goes through bankruptcy and has to shed contracts to go with a bottom-end payroll for a few years.

Sucks, but not the end of the world.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:55 AM
  #283
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
Is it safe to assume, in retrospect, that we can thank the hockey gods that we moved to Newark, no matter what the current financial situation? Hypothetically, what would happen if they stayed at CAA?

It seems this arena is as much of a godsend as the 1995 Cup was.
Mixed bag.

The arena is why the team is in so much debt to begin with.

But fact that the arena is effectively owned by the team makes it nearly impossible to move the team.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 09:24 AM
  #284
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
KD - part of the agreement between Devils/Newark probably makes terminating the lease very painful for the owner of the club.
The Rock is effectively a poison pill the way I see it.

It's really the only thing that gives me high confidence the Devils wont leave. If, however, you ever start hearing talk about "renegotiating the contracts" that confusingly ties the Devils to the arena in a financial bucket O'worms, then it may be time to

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevsfn95 View Post
He should ****ing know JVB's worth when discussing the financial future of the team.
Where therein lies the rub, you cant. But the speculation that JVB took a beating on LEH is sound, it's just how you define "beating" that's relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
There's no chance the Devils are at risk of going out of business.
Ehhh... no chance? I'd rephrase that to unlikely. IMO, he's spot on that the Devils are more likely to fold and be contracted than to relocate given what we know. Though I think either "doomsday scenario" is unlikely.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
  #285
Marv4Life
Worth billions...
 
Marv4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SEPA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
The Rock is effectively a poison pill the way I see it.

It's really the only thing that gives me high confidence the Devils wont leave. If, however, you ever start hearing talk about "renegotiating the contracts" that confusingly ties the Devils to the arena in a financial bucket O'worms, then it may be time to

Ehhh... no chance? I'd rephrase that to unlikely. IMO, he's spot on that the Devils are more likely to fold and be contracted than to relocate given what we know. Though I think either "doomsday scenario" is unlikely.
The arena needs an anchor tenant. Add to the lease--which is entering year 5 out of its 30--they aren't moving. Unless this team is drawing 10,000 or less while staying somewhat competitive there's no reason to move.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
  #286
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Larsson's Lair
Country: United States
Posts: 17,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
The arena needs an anchor tenant. Add to the lease--which is entering year 5 out of its 30--they aren't moving. Unless this team is drawing 10,000 or less while staying somewhat competitive there's no reason to move.
An NBA team committed to New Jersey for the long haul would be ideal.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:14 PM
  #287
RMBoner Stabone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Downtown Trenton
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
What is all this bankrupt talk? Who has uttered it? The Banks could all use a nice writedown of debt and Vanderbeek can possibly neg. the long term debt in the year or two to come and own it all outright.

The debt load is high and one of the reasons is the bookings are lacking in the Pru. they need more events and revenues.

Booker has spoken to Stern (not Howard) and he has been promised a NBA team for Newark and the league would waive any fees the team would incour luring a team.

Hornets, Bobcats. Kings and three more teams are fodder for moving.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
  #288
Marv4Life
Worth billions...
 
Marv4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SEPA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
What is all this bankrupt talk? Who has uttered it? The Banks could all use a nice writedown of debt and Vanderbeek can possibly neg. the long term debt in the year or two to come and own it all outright.

The debt load is high and one of the reasons is the bookings are lacking in the Pru. they need more events and revenues.
Umm they aren't lacking. The arena was 3rd in the nation in revenue.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
  #289
RMBoner Stabone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Downtown Trenton
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv4Life View Post
Umm they aren't lacking. The arena was 3rd in the nation in revenue.
That place is empty alot of nights and they could use more acts.

But since they have a large debt load, they could and can use more nights for acts.

This year, they had Katy Perry, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga some of the biggest touring acts.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
  #290
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
The debt load is high and one of the reasons is the bookings are lacking in the Pru. they need more events and revenues.
I believe the Pru was one of the top arenas last year.

Here's one quote:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...sells_izo.html

Quote:
According to Pollstar, a leading concert industry publication, Prudential sold 358,984 tickets, making it the 24th busiest arena in the world — and one of the few to show an increase in ticket sales in 2010. The 30-year-old Izod Center, which saw a big decline, sold 251,319 tickets last year, ranking it 45th.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:22 PM
  #291
RMBoner Stabone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Downtown Trenton
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils731 View Post
I believe the Pru was one of the top arenas last year.

Here's one quote:

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...sells_izo.html
365 nights, the more nights they have acts the better for the Devils and the arena and city. Compare their bookings to what Wells Fargo, the Verizon or MSG and the place has way more dark nights than comparable properties.

Just read in Forbes (last season) the Devils were 11th. in value and the revenue per fan was only 16.00 while other teams in the area are double. Concerts and marquee acts are a better revenue draw. The owners of the Panthers arena were quoted saying they wish the Panthers didn't play there because they turn away higher revenue acts.

RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
  #292
Devils731
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
365 nights, the more nights they have acts the better for the Devils and the arena and city. Compare their bookings to what Wells Fargo, the Verizon or MSG and the place has way more dark nights than comparable properties.
Nobody is saying that more nights full isn't better, but we're saying that it's kind of unreasonable to say they aren't busy enough when they were one of the top arenas last season.

Devils731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
  #293
Marv4Life
Worth billions...
 
Marv4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SEPA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
That place is empty alot of nights and they could use more acts.
Again being 3rd in the nation and one of the world's busiest would counter that argument:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...ication-finds/
http://www.northjersey.com/arts_ente...tion_says.html
It was busier than Verizon Center or Philly.

Marv4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:27 PM
  #294
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Um, that wasn't the Panthers owner, the Panthers are tied into the arena like the Devils are. Than was the Thrashers owner, and they threw them out of the building.

Are the Devils going to throw themselves out of their own building?

You're flailing.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:39 PM
  #295
RMBoner Stabone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Downtown Trenton
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Um, that wasn't the Panthers owner, the Panthers are tied into the arena like the Devils are. Than was the Thrashers owner, and they threw them out of the building.

Are the Devils going to throw themselves out of their own building?

You're flailing.
How am I flailing and how do you conclude the last point? I was merely stating something I heard and read.

You completely missed the point I was making. If there are a certain amount of nights available and SMG said they turn away lucaritve concerts and revenue because the Panthers have alot of nights. I was making the point that concerts and events are and can be more lucartive than a sporting event.

The Panthers are not in the same boat as the Devils. The County owns and the management company made that statement, one of Sniders arena management companies. I don't what the debt load is of the arena in Broward county, but the cost and time it was built is different and attendance is a problem there to begin with.

The Devils have a large debt load and Vanderbeek has been lobbying to close Izod to get the live nation acts and more revenue for his arena. Like I said, this year they had three marquee acts along with Metallica come through. All you need to do is look at who the Izod draws and Vanderbeek and the Devils see that as money out of there pockets. Any time it's an issue, Booker, Essex County and Vanderbeek are in Trenton lobbying for the closure of the IZOD when it was an issue.


Last edited by RMBoner Stabone: 09-29-2011 at 03:52 PM.
RMBoner Stabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
  #296
Devils Dominion
Conte's Critic
 
Devils Dominion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Larsson's Lair
Country: United States
Posts: 17,437
vCash: 500
I would like to see more large acts booked at The Rock too.
Foo Fighters in November will be a big revenue producer.

I spoke to the manager at Uber Burger over the summer and he said it's rough when there are so many days between events.

Obviously it gets more busy during hockey season, but the Devils hands are tied with not knowing how long the NBA lockout will last.

If they knew for sure the season was cancelled they would start booking acts to fill dates.

Even if the Nets only draw about 10-12k per game it is still cash flow that the Devils, Centerplate and area businesses need to have success.

Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:11 PM
  #297
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBoner Stabone View Post
How am I flailing and how do you conclude the last point? I was merely stating something I heard and read.

You completely missed the point I was making. If there are a certain amount of nights available and SMG said they turn away lucaritve concerts and revenue because the Panthers have alot of nights. I was making the point that concerts and events are and can be more lucartive than a sporting event.

The Panthers are not in the same boat as the Devils. The County owns and the management company made that statement, one of Sniders arena management companies. I don't what the debt load is of the arena in Broward county, but the cost and time it was built is different and attendance is a problem there to begin with.

The Devils have a large debt load and Vanderbeek has been lobbying to close Izod to get the live nation acts and more revenue for his arena. Like I said, this year they had three marquee acts along with Metallica come through. All you need to do is look at who the Izod draws and Vanderbeek and the Devils see that as money out of there pockets. Any time it's an issue, Booker, Essex County and Vanderbeek are in Trenton lobbying for the closure of the IZOD when it was an issue.
Metallica came through like 2 1/2 years ago. They do fine with the concert business, it's been increasing. Some of it has to do with stealing MSG's summer dates while they renovate, but still, and the AEG/Live Nation relationship is moot. The team manages the building now. They get Live Nation dates.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:03 PM
  #298
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,405
vCash: 500
I cant believe we still dont have a giant sports bar and restaurant in that massive void on the ground level. Like most every other reasonably new arena. Sucks.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:17 PM
  #299
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
the wall mural on Mulberry? there's actually something in there... the Nets "club".

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 08:45 PM
  #300
Colin226
NJ Devils STH
 
Colin226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Flemington, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I cant believe we still dont have a giant sports bar and restaurant in that massive void on the ground level. Like most every other reasonably new arena. Sucks.
Yeah, if only there were bars in the area that we could go to..... Even if they put one in, a lot of people here would complain that the team was wasting money with all the competition it would face from the growing number of local bars.. At this point, why should they bother competing?

Colin226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.