HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers 28 Cuts; The Preliminary Thoughts (9/26: Thuresson, Deveaux cut)

Old
09-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers 28 Cuts; The Preliminary Thoughts (9/26: Thuresson, Deveaux cut)

This morning the Rangers announced their first round of cuts, 28 players reassigned, and there are several inclusions and omissions that are significant. First, the names of the reassigned players: Assigned*to the Connecticut Whale are: goaltenders Chad Johnson, Jason Missiaen and Cameron Talbot; defensemen Lee Baldwin, Collin Bowman, Sam Klassen, Tomas Kundratek, Jyri Niemi, Jared [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Levitate

Have you checked with the Rangers about Valentenko's waiver status?

It seems like he is still waiver exempt because of the year he took off to go back to Russia awhile back, but this seems to keep popping up

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Have you checked with the Rangers about Valentenko's waiver status?

It seems like he is still waiver exempt because of the year he took off to go back to Russia awhile back, but this seems to keep popping up
He's on waivers.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:24 PM
Vitto79

thanks ya.........I would say Deveaux and Bickel have no chance at landing a NHL tough guy spot. Just no room so they are cuts for sure. Why not give Thuresson a game. He has had a cup of team in the NHL. Parlett is now healthy so he deserves a game.

Bourque has been the one guy that has improved his stock a ton.

In the end all 6 are cut. McIlrath back to his junior team but good for him for sticking.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
He's on waivers.
Rangerboy seems to know what he is talking about and did he not say he can be sent down because he still owes a yr on his entry level deal? Since he went to the KHL

Will be interesting to see if he stays in the AHL or heads back to the mother land

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:27 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
thanks ya.........I would say Deveaux and Bickel have no chance at landing a NHL tough guy spot. Just no room so they are cuts for sure. Why not give Thuresson a game. He has had a cup of team in the NHL. Parlett is now healthy so he deserves a game.

Bourque has been the one guy that has improved his stock a ton.

In the end all 6 are cut. McIlrath back to his junior team but good for him for sticking.
Thinking that maybe Thuresson gets a game in Europe, but don't want to speculate that in my blog.

Old
09-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Rangerboy seems to know what he is talking about and did he not say he can be sent down because he still owes a yr on his entry level deal? Since he went to the KHL

Will be interesting to see if he stays in the AHL or heads back to the mother land
From RDS reporter

in the list of people on waivers

@renhockey
Renaud P Lavoie
Kearns, Bracken (FLA) Strachan, Tyson (FLA) Yonkman, Nolan (FLA) Redden, Wade (NYR) Valentenko, Pavel (NYR) Bacashihua, Jason (PHI)

I doubt he stays in the AHL. Maybe he gets claimed.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

He is on the list.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376604

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 09-24-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added list
Old
09-24-2011, 01:06 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Thank God. Maybe the Valentenko lovefest can finally end

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Pizza

MacIlrath should play in Philly on Monday.

If he gets a chance to stick with the Rangers for the pre season and the full 9 regular season games, what a great experience for him to have.

It also helps the Rangers better evaluate the Staal situation.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Thank God. Maybe the Valentenko lovefest can finally end
For real, for a guy who was in the position he found himself in going to camp he sure did lay an egg. I noticed him once, when he fell over the blueline going for a puck.

I doubt anyone claims him.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:33 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'm a little bummed about Valentenko; he looked great last preseason and had a solid year in Hartford, and I loved the game he played, but he had a very bad game last night and looked like an AHLer.

He is about to join the list of prospects like Corey Potter, Jarko Immonen, Maxim Kondratiev, Ivan Baranka, and Dane Byers; post-lockout guys I rooted for that just never made it with the big club.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I'm a little bummed about Valentenko; he looked great last preseason and had a solid year in Hartford, and I loved the game he played, but he had a very bad game last night and looked like an AHLer.

He is about to join the list of prospects like Corey Potter, Jarko Immonen, Maxim Kondratiev, Ivan Baranka, and Dane Byers; post-lockout guys I rooted for that just never made it with the big club.
Yeah well it's not like those guys made it anywhere else besides Europe. Immonen was a player though so he I was most surprised about not landing back in Toronto or something.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:32 AM
bernmeister

Quote:

Too quote Bill Clinton, I feel your pain.

Any waste of real potential, as opposed to guys who are just filler, is aggravating.
I'd hoped V-tank would cut it as a 6th. I'd like to think he's still that good at minimum, and has lost out on the numbers game, and our depth is really that strong, although he did himself in this time with poor play.

Always hope for a Sanguinetti, at least get something in return for the guy...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:35 AM
bernmeister

Quote:

And of course, the epitome of size and strength who apparently, unfortunately, couldn't skate up to snuff, Tysen Dowzak.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
And of course, the epitome of size and strength who apparently, unfortunately, couldn't skate up to snuff, Tysen Dowzak.
Dowzak couldn't hold those guys' jocks. Immonen starred in Finland and is a good KHL player and Baranka is one of the better defenseman in the KHL. Even Kondratiev, Potter and Byers have seen NHL action. Tysen Dowzak doesn't even stand out in the CHL!

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 05:34 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I haven't been watching the games very closely but from little I saw of Valentenko I saw very little. But you have to understand that a defenseman that has the reputation of being of fearsome hitter on a team whose star goalie gets trampled on a regular basis makes knowledgeable fans salivate.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 05:57 PM
rocketxav9

what are the chances tim erixon makes the team and how many points do you think he will have ?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:22 PM
eco's bones

Valentenko looked terrible the other night but one game doesn't necessarily mean that his career is over. If he does go back to Hartford and plays well he might get another chance if 1) injuries occur or 2) someone ***** the bed. All in all he had a good season in the AHL last year. Kundratek a couple years younger is in a similar situation. Going to have to impress to get a chance.

Look at Sauer--he spent 3 or 4 (injury plagued) years before he finally broke through. In the end it was worth sticking with him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Valentenko looked terrible the other night but one game doesn't necessarily mean that his career is over. If he does go back to Hartford and plays well he might get another chance if 1) injuries occur or 2) someone ***** the bed. All in all he had a good season in the AHL last year. Kundratek a couple years younger is in a similar situation. Going to have to impress to get a chance.

Look at Sauer--he spent 3 or 4 (injury plagued) years before he finally broke through. In the end it was worth sticking with him.
If he were a North American player, then yeah, I'd say he still has time. Unfortunately, if he doesn't earn himself a regular spot this season, it's all but guaranteed he'll go back to Russia. He's already gone back there once.

Old
09-25-2011, 06:44 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The thing with Valentenko is that he's 24 years old.

How long is he going to wait to get a crack at a major pro league?

He can go back to Russia now and probably get solid minutes with a KHL club right now.

He still has a chance if he stays in the AHL. Injuries could happen on the NHL roster.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:18 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Dowzak couldn't hold those guys' jocks. Immonen starred in Finland and is a good KHL player and Baranka is one of the better defenseman in the KHL. Even Kondratiev, Potter and Byers have seen NHL action. Tysen Dowzak doesn't even stand out in the CHL!
Agreeing w/you, except as to the mofo snack.
As to Dowzak, my point is the tragedy is he excels at things (size, strength) you can't teach. And as a stay at home D, he needed less skating than others.

Isn't it a pity. Isn't it a shame (late great George H).

Old
09-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Levitate

Valentenko has said he's going to stay in Hartford and keep trying to crack the lineup.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Valentenko has said he's going to stay in Hartford and keep trying to crack the lineup.
Do you think he meant he would continue to work this year, or that he plans on sticking around past this season?

Old
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Do you think he meant he would continue to work this year, or that he plans on sticking around past this season?
he means this year that he isn't bailing on his contract...whether he resigns next summer is a different story and i'm sure will depend on how this year goes

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote