HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs buy Kostitsyn

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2004, 02:54 PM
Slick Nick

vCash: 500
Habs buy Kostitsyn

According to cska-hockey.ru today's news, Habs bought all rights on Kostitsyn, so there will be no «Zherdev» type of case with Kostitsyn. He's a 100% Hab now

Old
08-20-2004, 03:07 PM
eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick
According to cska-hockey.ru today's news, Habs bought all rights on Kostitsyn, so there will be no «Zherdev» type of case with Kostitsyn. He's a 100% Hab now
Nice! Good to heard, thanks.

Old
08-20-2004, 03:39 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
How does this process works exactly?

Old
08-20-2004, 03:48 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
It's like soccer, they pay the club who in exchange give them the player. Some NHL teams just don't pay the russian teams for taking the players they develop, thinking that the NHL is the only league on earth. That's when problems occur.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:44 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Yes ! that suprise me.I though before that I am sure we'll have problems to bring Kost over here.So now We bring him here without problems.Good to hear.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:48 PM
E = CH²

I thought we had to buy him out of his contract before actually signing him ?

So Slick Nick can you tell me if this actually happened before/after we signed him ?

Old
08-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy
Man that avator is just too funny.............. :lol

Old
08-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I thought we had to buy him out of his contract before actually signing him ?

So Slick Nick can you tell me if this actually happened before/after we signed him ?
Actually I have no idea, I saw the a short note on gazeta.ru (news website) then went to cska's site, and there was a short text saying that CSKA sold rights to Montreal. My guess is that happend today, but I really do not know about the technicalities of the european players transfers.

Руководство Хоккейного клуба ЦСКА официально сообщает, что совершена сделка по продаже нападающего Андрея Костицына в клуб Национальной Хоккейной Лиги "Монреаль Канадиенс". Трансферная сумма клубом ЦСКА получена в полном объеме и все права на А.Костицына переданы клубу "Монреаль"

«The executives of the CSKA hockey club officially announce that there is a settlement about the acquisition of forward Andrei Kostitsyn by the Montreal Canadiens. CSKA received the totality of the «transfer money», therefore all rights to Kostitsyn were handed to Montreal.»

that'a about it...

Last edited by Slick Nick: 08-20-2004 at 05:15 PM.
Old
08-20-2004, 06:38 PM
db23

Gainey mentioned when they signed Kostitsyn that CSKA didn't want to fight over him because he didn't fit in their plans. They have a lot of veteran players and a group of younger players they rate ahead of him. Plus Kostitsyn would be categorized as an import next season, and each club is only allowed a certain number of non Russians on their roster. Basically that Kostitsyn is not nearly as highly regarded in Russia as he is here.

Old
08-20-2004, 06:56 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Well I can't read Russian, so I can't say what the article is about, but it wouldn't have turned into a Zherdev thing. Zherdev played for Russian junior National teams, yet was not considered to be a Russian citizen, thus not having to serve in the army. From what I understand it was a bogus attempt by the Russian Federation and CSKA to say that he never served. Zherdev claimed he didn't have to serve.

Kostitsyn never played for any Russian National team, and was always considered a Belarussian, thus he wouldn't have to serve, thus the Russian Federation couldn't hold him back with the claim of not serving in the army.

With the amount of young players CSKA, and that Kostitsyn would be considered a forgein player, plus the fact that CSKA likely got a nice chunk of change (since the didn't even make the playoffs some extra revenue wouldn't hurt) it makes sense they let him go.

Old
08-20-2004, 07:12 PM
Masao

This is the babelfish translation of the short article on the front page of cska-hockey.ru:

Quote:
The management of the hockey club OF THE TSSKA (CENTRAL SPORTS CLUB OF THE ARMY) officially reports that is perfected the transaction on napadayushchego Andrey kostitsyn's sale into the club of national hockey the leagues of &.tsuot;Monreal' Of kanadiyens&.tsuot;. Transfer sum by the club OF THE TSSKA (CENTRAL SPORTS CLUB OF THE ARMY) is obtained fully and all rights to A.Kostitsyna are transmitted to the club of &.tsuot;Monreal'&.tsuot;.
I guess that deserves a dancing banana

Old
08-20-2004, 08:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Gainey mentioned when they signed Kostitsyn that CSKA didn't want to fight over him because he didn't fit in their plans. They have a lot of veteran players and a group of younger players they rate ahead of him. Plus Kostitsyn would be categorized as an import next season, and each club is only allowed a certain number of non Russians on their roster. Basically that Kostitsyn is not nearly as highly regarded in Russia as he is here.
Kostitsyn hadnt the appropriate medication... Dont you find it a little strange? He is Belorussian, not a local talent, thats why Kostitsyn is'nt highly regarded in Russia...

Old
08-21-2004, 04:19 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Kostitsyn hadnt the appropriate medication... Dont you find it a little strange? He is Belorussian, not a local talent, thats why Kostitsyn is'nt highly regarded in Russia...
Kostitsyn is Russian, and the only reason he wasen't on the team is because the coach didin't want him on it..

Belarus is more russian than most part of the russian federation. From recent surveys, 99,6 belarussians admit only speaking russian at home and at work, and only 21% say they speak fluent belorussian...they also changed their Flag from the traditonnal belorussian flag to the old soviet belorussian flag by a referendum that was won with a 87% margin... Belarus, 3/4 of Ukraine and Kazakhstan are russian territories lost because some clowns drew the borders without thinking, about 60 years ago...the whole southern Ukraine(Crimea) was a gift from Nikita Khrouchtev to Ukraine for the «friendship between republics»...

Sorry I had to add this, but I'm really tierd of people talking about stuff they barely understand..

Old
08-21-2004, 05:27 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Kostitsyn is Russian, and the only reason he wasen't on the team is because the coach didin't want him on it..

Belarus is more russian than most part of the russian federation. From recent surveys, 99,6 belarussians admit only speaking russian at home and at work, and only 21% say they speak fluent belorussian...they also changed their Flag from the traditonnal belorussian flag to the old soviet belorussian flag by a referendum that was won with a 87% margin... Belarus, 3/4 of Ukraine and Kazakhstan are russian territories lost because some clowns drew the borders without thinking, about 60 years ago...the whole southern Ukraine(Crimea) was a gift from Nikita Khrouchtev to Ukraine for the «friendship between republics»...

Sorry I had to add this, but I'm really tierd of people talking about stuff they barely understand..
Hey this is HF boards (no offense some of you are really hockey educated), but thought you'd get used to it by now...

Old
08-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
Quote:

good post slicky nicky

Old
08-21-2004, 08:47 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Man that avator is just too funny.............. :lol
Happy to be of service.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:05 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Calling Kostitsyn Russian can make it confussing. I understand what you mean when you say it based on the location of Belarus and it's history, but for most average North Americans that don't follow things outside the states will be confused into thinking he's considered Russian by the country, which would then require him to serve in the army. Just trying to clear up any confussion that might have come about.

Old
08-22-2004, 08:50 PM
tritone

Quote:

Then why does Belarus have their own hockey team in the olympics?

Old
08-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
Then why does Belarus have their own hockey team in the olympics?
Sporting events are always funny like that. Hong Kong has it's own Olympic team, and it's part of China. The Brits have been sending teams to soccer events from England, Scotland, Ireland pretty much forever, yet they compete in the Olympics as Great Britain, not individual countries. There are countless more examples, but I don't think in this case it's a matter of showing that Belarus is it's own country, it's more a question of Kostitsyns personal situation.

Old
08-23-2004, 10:48 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Sporting events are always funny like that. Hong Kong has it's own Olympic team, and it's part of China. The Brits have been sending teams to soccer events from England, Scotland, Ireland pretty much forever, yet they compete in the Olympics as Great Britain, not individual countries. There are countless more examples, but I don't think in this case it's a matter of showing that Belarus is it's own country, it's more a question of Kostitsyns personal situation.

Hong Kong was not a part of China till last year (It was Brithish empire owned). Ireland is NOT a part of Great Britain's olympic team and never has been , they are a seperate and independant country . As for Scotland being merged with the Brit's it may have more to do with a population of less than 5 million than anything else.

In any event , as far as I know , Belarus is an Independant country regardless of how the natives of Belarus vote in a poll . The government is an independant government and it is a Belarussian gov't not a Russian one.

Free online information regarding Government And Politics, Belarus
Belarus's declaration of independence on August 25, 1991, did not stem from long-held political aspirations but from reactions to domestic and foreign events. Moscow's slow response both to the accident at the Chornobyl' power plant and to the discovery of mass graves of Stalin's victims at Kurapaty led to demands for government accountability and reform. Ukraine's declaration of independence, in particular, led the Belorussian SSR to realize that the Soviet Union would not last long. Independence nonetheless brought little or no change in the country's political structure.
Data as of June 1995

so why is slick nick getting all intense ? As far as I can see (and i've checked out several websites) Belarus is NOT Russia ..it is Belarus, an Independant NATION.

Old
08-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
Hong Kong was not a part of China till last year (It was Brithish empire owned). Ireland is NOT a part of Great Britain's olympic team and never has been , they are a seperate and independant country . As for Scotland being merged with the Brit's it may have more to do with a population of less than 5 million than anything else.

In any event , as far as I know , Belarus is an Independant country regardless of how the natives of Belarus vote in a poll . The government is an independant government and it is a Belarussian gov't not a Russian one.

Free online information regarding Government And Politics, Belarus
Belarus's declaration of independence on August 25, 1991, did not stem from long-held political aspirations but from reactions to domestic and foreign events. Moscow's slow response both to the accident at the Chornobyl' power plant and to the discovery of mass graves of Stalin's victims at Kurapaty led to demands for government accountability and reform. Ukraine's declaration of independence, in particular, led the Belorussian SSR to realize that the Soviet Union would not last long. Independence nonetheless brought little or no change in the country's political structure.
Data as of June 1995

so why is slick nick getting all intense ? As far as I can see (and i've checked out several websites) Belarus is NOT Russia ..it is Belarus, an Independant NATION.

Read again, and try to find where I said that Belrus was a part of Russia. I said Belarus was more Russian than most part of Russia, in terms of language, culture, religion, association, etc. than most of Russian Federation. ie Chechnia; speak their own language, have their own culture, they are muslims, and are very hostile twards Moscow, but still on Russian Soil. Belarus (which never existed as a State before 1992 ), and was in the russian empire for almost 1000 years) is majoritarly othrdoxe, speaking russian, culture is very close, and even the president, Comrade Lukashenko, is «non grata» in the US since being to close to Russia. I can give you a thounsand links and stats about Belarus and Ukraine, but it's a lot more complicated than I try to point out. Also, Belarussians as people do exist, and have a superb culture, but they are a very small part of today's Belarus (a lot more in Ukraine). Most of them live on the borders of Poland, which influence made them a sperate people from Russians... anyways, this is a very complicated situation, and I don't feel like discussing about it too much...

I was just trying to make a point about Andrei not being relegated because of his roots, but because Tikhvnov simply didn't want him on the team.

Last edited by Slick Nick: 08-23-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Old
08-23-2004, 11:44 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Read again, and try to find where I said that Belrus was a part of Russia. I said Belarus was more Russian than most part of Russia, in terms of language, culture, religion, association, etc. than most of Russian Federation. ie Chechnia; speak their own language, have their own culture, they are muslims, and are very hostile twards Moscow, but still on Russian Soil. Belarus (which never existed as a State before 1992 ), and was in the russian empire for almost 1000 years) is majoritarly othrdoxe, speaking russian, culture is very close, and even the president, Comrade Lukashenko, is «non grata» in the US since being to close to Russia. I can give you a thounsand links and stats about Belarus and Ukraine, but it's a lot more complicated than I try to point out. Also, Belarussians as people do exist, and have a superb culture, but they are a very small part of today's Belarus (a lot more in Ukraine). Most of them live on the borders of Poland, which influence made them a sperate people from Russians... anyways, this is a very complicated situation, and I don't feel like discussing about it too much...

I was just trying to make a point about Andrei not being relegated because of his roots, but because Tikhvnov simply didn't want him on the team.
The cultural stuff that your talking about doesn't have everything to do with the situation. Kasts is not on the team because he's a foreign (politically, not culturally) player, and that there is only a certain amount of foreign players allowed on the team, therefore hempering his value to the team. That's what I get from that situation.

Old
08-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars
The cultural stuff that your talking about doesn't have everything to do with the situation. Kasts is not on the team because he's a foreign (politically, not culturally) player, and that there is only a certain amount of foreign players allowed on the team, therefore hempering his value to the team. That's what I get from that situation.
First that's a new rule, second there were only 2 «imported players» on the CSKA line up last year; Jiri Trvai and Jan Hejda, remember that was last year, when the rule of 3 «imports» didn't count. If you're talking about Kostitsyn not bieng a local talent... maybe, folks at RussianProspects told me it was one of the main resaons he wasn't on the CSKA-1, but I still can't understand why a coach wouldn't use a great prospect only because he was born outside of Russia?(Unless the coach is a total imbecile. I'd had to add that Tikhnov was fired, and has lost all his credibility after being a total failure; not remembering the names of his own players...)

Best exemple is Alex Perezhogin from Ust-Komenogorks «Kazakhstan», he won the RSL championship with the Avangard Omsk, that year Ivan Hlinka was the coach!

Last edited by Slick Nick: 08-24-2004 at 12:06 AM.
Old
08-24-2004, 12:10 AM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:

I beg to differ. From what I know about Ukraine, the locals can hardly be considered Russians, and wouldn't even let you form this opinion. While there is indeed a strong Russian minority, the majority of Ukrainians speak a slightly different language, and also have a different religious background (catholicism being practiced by many inhabitants). Also, Ukraine has its own and distinct litterature, and also a tradition of independance (as it wasn't part of Russia at some time during the XVIIIth century, and around 1920).

Same goes for Kazakhstan. While the descendants of Russian settlers are still in large numbers (although rapidly emigrating), most of the population has its own ethnic, economical, cultural and social specificities.

Old
08-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootOut
I beg to differ. From what I know about Ukraine, the locals can hardly be considered Russians, and wouldn't even let you form this opinion. While there is indeed a strong Russian minority, the majority of Ukrainians speak a slightly different language, and also have a different religious background (catholicism being practiced by many inhabitants). Also, Ukraine has its own and distinct litterature, and also a tradition of independance (as it wasn't part of Russia at some time during the XVIIIth century, and around 1920).

Same goes for Kazakhstan. While the descendants of Russian settlers are still in large numbers (although rapidly emigrating), most of the population has its own ethnic, economical, cultural and social specificities.

I'm not gettin into these endless talks about how is how...

Closed Thread