HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-Season Waived Players

Old
10-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Why could I see the Canucks claiming him?
Would be a good fit

He fits their team philosphy and they have a history of employing players of that type.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:58 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Would be a good fit

He fits their team philosphy and they have a history of employing players of that type.
Borrows, Kesler, and Avery? That said, his slash and burn in the locker room might be worth seeing the punk there.

10-05-2011, 10:03 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Borrows, Kesler, and Avery? That said, his slash and burn in the locker room might be worth seeing the punk there.
Don't forget Lapierre, Bieksa, and every diver in the room (Sedins and Luongo).

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Copperhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver ballet View Post
There are over 12000 icing calls per season in the NHL. One kid gets a boo boo and you're all up in arms about it. Who cares, these guys have the best of medical attention at their beckon call. He'll be well taken care of, believe me. The kid is where he is because he left himself exposed to something like this happening, you never see a 10 yr veteran put himself in a spot like this. One boo boo in over 12000 icing calls......icing calls in the NHL are just fine the way it is.
Yeah I'm not sure about your logic there either. How does a veteran protect themselves from being tripped while speeding towards the end boards? And if he had died (which happened in Europe) would you still react the same way?

I pose this question to you: how is the current version of icing better than the proposed version of icing? And before you answer, think about the last time you remember a forward beating out an icing call...it doesn't happen often enough to be a factor in buying your ticket.

Copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
There are over 12000 icing calls per season in the NHL. One kid gets a boo boo and you're all up in arms about it. Who cares, these guys have the best of medical attention at their beckon call. He'll be well taken care of, believe me. The kid is where he is because he left himself exposed to something like this happening, you never see a 10 yr veteran put himself in a spot like this. One boo boo in over 12000 icing calls......icing calls in the NHL are just fine the way it is.
Kurtis Foster almost died on the operating room table. Fedun's bright future in pro hockey is potentially over as well. There are multiple injuries with varying extents that occur every season during icing plays. More often than not they tend to be serious. Don't know how you can simply dismiss these things and downplay the significance. The game is changing, player safety should be paramount. Hybrid icing is a judgment call on the referee's part but its not going to be like calling a penalty. Should always be open to change/new ideas being introduced.

Last edited by Philly85: 10-05-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
You actually believe that it was Fedun's fault?? You sir, have completely left no doubt whatsoever of what your credibility is on this forum and life in general (that would be actually less than zero ).

He was going for the puck and Nystrom put his stick in his skates when heading for the boards. How in any variant universe, alternate reality, or multidimensional probability does that make that Fedun's fault for getting injured? I suppose Nystrom apologized so profusely by saying "i'm sorry but this was your fault"??

Jeebus, how do you even tie your shoes in the morning?
If you had ever played this game at a competitive level you would know this is just one of a few different ways to prevent a player from accomlishing his task. The stick in the skates is a very common distraction during a race for the puck. Many players are willing to do whatever it takes to win, they'll do almost anything to put their team at an advantage. Jerome Iginla, of all people, did this same thing to Sheldon Souray a couple years ago, sidelining 44 for a couple months with a concussion. The reason you don't see this happen more often is because most d'men are prepare for this possibilty and are usually able to put themselves in a less vulnerable position. Perhaps Taylor Fedun was sick that day in College or sumfin and missed this topic the day it was covered, who cares really.

The credibility issue you spoke of, if you're not inside the game, you have none. We're limited to bickering back and forth like you and i are doing right now. People are never surprised here when they see two idiots (zero credibility) going at it, it's what people like you and i do. Your dues for this season are paid in full sir.

Last edited by Moneypuck: 10-05-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Huh? I can't tell if you're actually being serious... I sure hope not

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
If you had ever played this game at a competitive level you would know this is just one of a few different ways to prevent a player from accomlishing his task. The stick in the skates is a very common distraction during a race for the puck. Many players are willing to do whatever it takes to win, they'll do almost anything to put their team at an advantage. Jerome Iginla, of all people, did this same thing to Sheldon Souray a couple years ago, sidelining 44 for a couple months with a concussion. The reason you don't see this happen more often is because most d'men are prepare for this possibilty and are usually able to put themselves in a less vulnerable position. Perhaps Taylor Fedun was sick that day in College or sumfin and missed this topic the day it was covered, who cares really.

The credibility issue you spoke of, if you're not inside the game, you have none. We're limited to bickering back and forth like you and i are doing right now. People are never surprised here when they see two idiots (zero credibility) going at it, it's what people like you and i do. Your dues for this season are paid in full sir.
im guessing you were ok with the Bertuzzi incident aswell.. A 12 yr vet wouldve prepared himself better for that hit..
Players sticking sticks under opponents skates is not OK. Doing 'almost anything to put your team at advantage' is a silly excuse for such plays.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:02 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
im guessing you were ok with the Bertuzzi incident aswell.. A 12 yr vet wouldve prepared himself better for that hit..
Players sticking sticks under opponents skates is not OK. Doing 'almost anything to put your team at advantage' is a silly excuse for such plays.
Well of course a vet could've avoided the Bertuzzi incident... Apparently once you play for a decade you get eyes in the back of your head and so you know you're going to be tripped into the boards or punched in the head...

Oh wait, that doesn't seem right

Old
10-05-2011, 12:08 PM
joestevens29

MTL claims Betts. Avery clears.

Brett Maclean and Woywitka on waivers.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Yes, Todd paid the price for his transgression and is doing quite fine i do believe. Here he is still playing in the NHL 5 yrs later. Like it or not it is part of the game. Hockey is a brutal and violent sport at times. Punishments for the McSorley and Bertuzzi incidents were for optic purposes only. If what they did was so bad or unacceptible, they would've been incarcerated like you or i would've been had we participated in an incident like that.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:16 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Yes, Todd paid the price for his transgression and is doing quite fine i do believe. Here he is still playing in the NHL 5 yrs later. Like it or not it is part of the game. Hockey is a brutal and violent sport at times. Punishments for the McSorley and Bertuzzi incidents were for optic purposes only. If what they did was so bad or unacceptible, they would've been incarcerated like you or i would've been had we participated in an incident like that.
I wouldn't say they are apart of the game, but if the NHL every gets rid of fighting you'll see more of it.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Joey Moss

MacLean could be a Grabner like pick up and he has good size. I hope we take a look at him even though there's not a whole lot of space right now.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Omark
MacLean - Belanger - Jones
Eager
Hordichuk

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I wouldn't say they are apart of the game, but if the NHL every gets rid of fighting you'll see more of it.
Agreed, that's a double edged sword they'll deal with if they ever decide to make that change.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
MacLean could be a Grabner like pick up and he has good size. I hope we take a look at him even though there's not a whole lot of space right now.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Gagner - Omark
MacLean - Belanger - Jones
Eager
Hordichuk

That's the problem. Where do you fit him? I don't think it's good for the team to have both Eager and Hordichik as healthy scracthes too often. Won't be good for impending UFA's going forward.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
That's the problem. Where do you fit him? I don't think it's good for the team to have both Eager and Hordichik as healthy scracthes too often. Won't be good for impending UFA's going forward.
Doesn't really matter. Send Omark down if need be. He's going to be a massive steal if someone picks him up

Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Trade Omark for a defenseman and pick up MacLean. Boom. That would seriously benefit this team, adding size while improving the D.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Trade Omark for a defenseman and pick up MacLean. Boom. That would seriously benefit this team, adding size while improving the D.
I like the sound of that. Maybe package Omark up with Anaheim's 2nd rounder...

Old
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Yeah I'm not sure about your logic there either. How does a veteran protect themselves from being tripped while speeding towards the end boards? And if he had died (which happened in Europe) would you still react the same way?

I pose this question to you: how is the current version of icing better than the proposed version of icing? And before you answer, think about the last time you remember a forward beating out an icing call...it doesn't happen often enough to be a factor in buying your ticket.
I wouldn't really call it a trip, but every forward who uses this technique knows all to well that an injury is possible when you remove one of the defencemans skate blades from the ice limiting his ability to reduce the velocity that he's approaching the boards. A routine play at times becomes a dangerous play when the forechecking forward decides to use it.

The NHL is obviously satisfied with the rules as they are. If they were concerned with the Fosters and the Feduns of the world they would make that play an intent to injure penalty to the players who choose to use this method. Can we please just let this issue go so we can enjoy the beginning of another terrific season of controlled violence?

Old
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Is Woywitka an upgrade on what we currently have on D?

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Regardless of whether you want to say that he put himself in a position to get hurt, calling a broken femur a boo boo is a very ignorant statement. What else is a boo boo in your eyes? A fractured skull? Spinal cord injury? Collapsed lung? Broken hip? A heart attack? This is not a hang nail and by you painting it as if it's a little scrape or nick is not only disingenuous, but could easily be construed as trolling. A young man's career hangs in the balance, show some damn respect.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Regardless of whether you want to say that he put himself in a position to get hurt, calling a broken femur a boo boo is a very ignorant statement. What else is a boo boo in your eyes? A fractured skull? Spinal cord injury? Collapsed lung? Broken hip? A heart attack? This is not a hang nail and by you painting it as if it's a little scrape or nick is not only disingenuous, but could easily be construed as trolling. A young man's career hangs in the balance, show some damn respect.
Excellent post. I agree completely.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:51 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Is Woywitka an upgrade on what we currently have on D?
I don't think so. Gregor is saying that the Oilers never picked anyone up yet because they don't see anyone being more than a stop gap and that they expect Whitney and Smid back soon.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Moneypuck

Quote:
If we're going to imitate doctors here then why is there the need to place Taylor above the 300+ people who perish in Edmonton area hospitals each week? Not all of them passed from natural causes.

The man sustained an injury while playing a game, for which he'll recover from. Area hospitals are full of patients with the conditions you mentioned. Why the need to put Fedun up on a pedestal above family from contributing members on this site? Is Taylor Fedun somehow more important than everyone else affected by accidents or life threatening illnesses? Where are normal peoples priorities in all of this, how come Taylor Fedun is the only one who gets a sympathy thread?

Last edited by Moneypuck: 10-05-2011 at 02:40 PM.