HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will McIlrath benefit from Staal being out?

Old
09-24-2011, 08:29 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I don't know about penciling in Bell and MDZ just yet. Also don't forget Parlett I think he will get a nice look.
All im saying is they have a better, legit shot to make the team then McI does.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Dude he has a shot..What are you talking about? If he didn't he would have been sent out already..He is making an impression and not in over his head..He is playing better than Erixon or MDZ...Staals uncertainy has McIlrath right in the mix..The first 9 games are his for the taking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
Not a chance in hell. Bell, Eminger, Del Zotto, Erixon will all be given chances over him. I don't think it matters how good he looks. There's no way he's ready, even for a 10 game look IMO. Him being 19 means there's no need to rush him. It's great that he hasn't looked out of place but if the organization kept him to start the regular season I would drop dead.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:32 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think McIlrath has already been weeded out, they are just giving him some extra time with the team - like every first round pick has the last few years. Its part of the process.
Don't see this to be the case here. McIlrath is getting a real look here. He could have been easily been sent back today. Don't know if he'll stick but he's got a shot. The OP has a legit topic in this case.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
All im saying is they have a better, legit shot to make the team then McI does.
I get that, but was pointing out I don't think they're that far ahead of Erixon.

I see it like this:

Bell
MDZ/Erixon/Parlett (think he will be on par with them)
McIlrath

Bickel

Like I said earlier Bell has been been pretty impressive he's just not the "sexy" pick.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There's zero chance that McIlrath will make the team.
Careful. Not that I disagree, but zero chance is not where I would put this right now.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I get that, but was pointing out I don't think they're that far ahead of Erixon.

I see it like this:

Bell
MDZ/Erixon/Parlett (think he will be on par with them)
McIlrath

Bickel

Like I said earlier Bell has been been pretty impressive he's just not the "sexy" pick.
Pretty much the same way I'd rank them.

They're giving McIlrath more time at the NHL level, but he won't make it.

There are at least 3 others (Bell, MDZ, Erixon) that have a higher chance than he does.

Last edited by Jabroni: 09-25-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:07 AM
CM PUNK

he doesn't need to make the rangers to benefit from staal being out. the fact that he is going to europe and will play in more preseason games than he would have with staal playing means more valuable experience before going back to juniors which will hopefully benefit him long term

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
There's zero chance that McIlrath will make the team. The OP is only pimping him because he's pro fighting and McI is a fighter. It has nothing to do with McI actually deserving a spot.

And McIlrath won't get 9 games either. When was the last time the Rangers gave any prospect 9 games and then sent him back?

Exactly. It won't happen. McI may go to Europe just so we have an extra body, but there is no way in hell he will get even a single regular season game. This thread is nothing more than the OP pushing his agenda.
Oh, give me a break. He's looked very solid in pre-season.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:28 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Loved how he played in the preseason game, but he's not making the Rangers. It would be a mistake.

They're going to spoil him like they've been doing for a year now, take him to Europe and build his confidence. Hopefully it reflects his play in Moose Jaw.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:27 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

There IS zero chance he makes the roster. He's been good, much better than TC even. I'm impressed and glad he's taken a step in his development. But I don't think he's ready yet and MDZ provides a more important thing from the blue line right now. He's only 19.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 05:35 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Oh, give me a break. He's looked very solid in pre-season.
And everyone was saying how shaky he looked in Traverse City.

I have nothing against McIlrath. I wasn't the biggest fan of the pick like many when it was made, but I hope he turns out great. I still give Clark and Gorton the benefit of the doubt on this one.

But he clearly isn't ready yet. Keeping him up with the Rangers would be a monumental mistake.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:18 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope not.

McIlrath seems ahead of schedule but he'll be better served returning to Juniors.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:51 AM
msv957

McI has looked good this pre-season. It blows my mind ( Mind-blown) thinking that he cannot make the WJC this coming year. It does not make sense

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Seems like it's a case of McIlrath not forcing them to cut him yet. That doesn't mean he's earned a spot, or that Staal's injury will have any bearing on weather or not he makes it.

Since he's looked ok/good/whatever he wasn't cut... yet. NYR know the experience will only help him, so he sticks around until they're forced into a decision, the fact that he's still around is a testament to him not forcing them into a decision sooner.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:48 AM
district9

while i think he's been one of the better defensive guys we've had out there through preseason, i can't see him lasting on the team. however i think we also need to be keeping a big lookout for him next season because that might be his time to shine

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:

I have nothing against McIlrath. I wasn't the biggest fan of the pick like many when it was made, but I hope he turns out great. I still give Clark and Gorton the benefit of the doubt on this one.

But he clearly isn't ready yet. Keeping him up with the Rangers would be a monumental mistake.
While I agree he's most likely not going to stick, if he earns it good for him. Even if he gets 9 games (again unlikely) I won't be mad, I have faith in the organization to make the right decisions.

The Traverse argument is moot if he can continue to play well in the PS.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:23 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

In this case, the OP has an agenda - anyone who's read more than two posts from him knows this - but he also happens to have a legitimate point.

If we see more from McIlrath like we saw in the last game he played, I have no problem with him staying with the team. If we see more like we saw in the last two games at TC, then it's time for him to head back to MJ.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
In this case, the OP has an agenda - anyone who's read more than two posts from him knows this - but he also happens to have a legitimate point.

If we see more from McIlrath like we saw in the last game he played, I have no problem with him staying with the team. If we see more like we saw in the last two games at TC, then it's time for him to head back to MJ.
"An agenda" is a HARSH word for this, BRF. He's a Big Mac fan. People post threads here all the time about players they like. No one is ever called out for having "an agenda".

I know what you mean, but I think that the OP is harshly criticized all the time on this board because he likes fights. He's held to a different standard than some on here who like some other aspect of the game more than another.

I don't really think that's very fair, either.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:

Who cares about Traverse City? I care about what he's doing against NHL players. Maybe you value what he's doing against prospects more. That's your (backwards) prerogative.

I have no problem if the Rangers gave him a few games and let him get the WANT in him to be a NHL player. Sometimes giving a guy a few games creates such a drive in them to make the team that they work their ***** off to get there more than they would have otherwise. No idea if Mac is that type of player, but if he earns a few games he deserves to get them.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Maybe they give him 9 games before Staal comes back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:59 PM
turcotte8

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector

Tortorella on McIlrath: "He's not ready," but making preseason trip to Europe will be good chance for more development.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Maybe they give him 9 games before Staal comes back.
Nope, that's not in the cards according to this quote (from RangerRants by Andrew Gross):

Dylan McIlrath, the 10th overall pick in 2010, is still in camp not because he’s ready to play in the NHL but a combination of the Rangers’ desire to keep teaching him and their situation on defense. “A little bit of both,” Tortorella said. “He has some work to do. He’s not ready. He’s still a young guy. This gives us a chance, with the situation we’re in right now with our D, more of a chance to keep playing and for us to keep evaluation and keep teaching. The longer these guys are with us we can keep teaching also.”

Unlike Miller (who is starting the season with a new team), McIlrath is already familar with his Junior team. This gives the Rangers time to continue working with him on the things that want to get across.

If Staal continues to have PCS into October, the Rangers will not use McIlrath in NHL games--he's just not ready for that level of competition and being badly overmatched is not a good learning experience. They will either go with what they have, or look to make a trade/signing.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
NYDNRangers Jesse Spector

Tortorella on McIlrath: "He's not ready," but making preseason trip to Europe will be good chance for more development.
There ya go. This will be a great experience for him. Lots of upside.

Old
09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who cares about Traverse City? I care about what he's doing against NHL players. Maybe you value what he's doing against prospects more. That's your (backwards) prerogative.

I have no problem if the Rangers gave him a few games and let him get the WANT in him to be a NHL player. Sometimes giving a guy a few games creates such a drive in them to make the team that they work their ***** off to get there more than they would have otherwise. No idea if Mac is that type of player, but if he earns a few games he deserves to get them.
Bingo.

Call me a MacIlrath homer, but I have a feeling he is exactly that kind of player.

Old
09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Calad
Section 422

Torts said himself that big mac isn't ready, but he wants to keep him in camp longer so they can teach him more. I would be very surprised if he is on the roster when the season opens, but it would be awesome to see him nonetheless

Calad is online now   Reply With Quote