HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will McIlrath benefit from Staal being out?

Old
09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Bingo.

Call me a MacIlrath homer, but I have a feeling he is exactly that kind of player.
I think it's pretty clear he's that kind of player too. The kid keeps improving maybe it's not leaps and bounds like some people want but you can't please everyone. Had the Rangers been in this situation last season Mcilrath would have been sent home yesterday. The fact that the organization is showing confidence in him is enough for me to know he's on the right track.

I think he's a kid with really good character and a good work ethic. I think Miller would have benefited from one more game as well, was kind of surprised he got sent back as early as he did.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:19 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
I think it's pretty clear he's that kind of player too. The kid keeps improving maybe it's not leaps and bounds like some people want but you can't please everyone. Had the Rangers been in this situation last season Mcilrath would have been sent home yesterday. The fact that the organization is showing confidence in him is enough for me to know he's on the right track.

I think he's a kid with really good character and a good work ethic. I think Miller would have benefited from one more game as well, was kind of surprised he got sent back as early as he did.
Miller needs to get acclimated to Junior as soon as he can so he can get comfortable.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Dude he has a shot..What are you talking about? If he didn't he would have been sent out already..He is making an impression and not in over his head..He is playing better than Erixon or MDZ...Staals uncertainy has McIlrath right in the mix..The first 9 games are his for the taking.
That's why coach verified my point today by saying he's not ready, right?

There's a difference between him not being cut, and him being ready to play in the NHL.

I think riche put it perfectly earlier. He's being rewarded for a good camp, and because the coaches want more time to teach him and work with him.

Regardless of what you've seen in him during a freaking preseason game...that doesn't make him better than MDZ or even Erixon. Give me a break.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:45 PM
msv957

If McI is sent back to juniors, what would be considered a good year statistically for him? I am thinking 50 points, very good +/- and 200+ penalty minutes as an intimidating force

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I think McIlrath has already been weeded out, they are just giving him some extra time with the team - like every first round pick has the last few years. Its part of the process.
Agreed, plus McIlrath hasnt looked "fantastic" either.

How many times have the Rangers kept a guy up for the 9 game limit and sent him back to juniors? It just doesnt happen too often, nor should it.

I see it as a silly idea that doesnt do anything to help a young player's development.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
If McI is sent back to juniors, what would be considered a good year statistically for him? I am thinking 50 points, very good +/- and 200+ penalty minutes as an intimidating force
30 points and amazing D would be just fine for me.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Kershaw

I see no reason to believe McIlrath is any better than Eminger at this point.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I see no reason to believe McIlrath is any better than Eminger at this point.
And what is wrong with a 19 yr old kid with a hand full of ahl games being as good as a solid nhl player making a million a yr? You guys all over value your opinions.. last yr he was hated because he wasn't your flavor of the month now he looks like a solid pick you are liking him.. root for the guy man he is improving every day

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Pizza

I'm not saying this kid will even make it. Even though he's getting better we have a ways to go yet. He's unlike any Ranger prospect I can remember. The shear fact that we even have a prospect like MacIlrath in the system ought to be an incredibly exciting thing for every Rangers fan.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:40 AM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I hope not.

McIlrath seems ahead of schedule but he'll be better served returning to Juniors.
Best post in the thread.

He's far ahead of where they thought he would be, so they're bringing him to Europe to help develop his play and confidence hoping it will lead to a better season in juniors.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:04 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Best post in the thread.

He's far ahead of where they thought he would be, so they're bringing him to Europe to help develop his play and confidence hoping it will lead to a better season in juniors.

Nothing wrong with that at all.
This.

In addition to being a monster of a physical specimen with great upside, McIlrath was a character pick. They're trying to reinforce and encourage his hunger to improve. Giving him the C at Traverse City and giving him these extra games is all working towards that end. He had to earn these extra games with his play, but the Rangers could have easily justified sending him back if they wanted to.

Pizza also put it perfectly: It's incredibly exciting having this kind of prospect in the system. Could he bust or stagnate in his development? Sure. But anyone who can't see the raw talent oozing out of him is insane. Not only that, but he's showing noticeable improvement. At this point, the sky's the limit for this kid.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:11 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I hope not.

McIlrath seems ahead of schedule but he'll be better served returning to Juniors.
I tend to agree. At this point, there is nothing wrong with more seasoning. Kid needs to be playing every game and building his game and confidence.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Pizza

I'm encouraged that Tort's and the Org. have their collective heads on straight w/this kid. Just bring him along based on what he does, how he improves. Another year in junior and a year in Connecticut. Three years from now he should be ready to crack the line up.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Miller needs to get acclimated to Junior as soon as he can so he can get comfortable.
I agree but keeping him for todays game wouldn't have been a bad deal IMO.

They handle these kids pretty good so I'm fine with the decision. Think he'll be a force in Plymouth.

As far as McIlrath goes 50Pts? No way is that my gauge for him. Like Jonathan said 30 is fine plus solid D. He was on a 28pt pace last year, went from 4 his 1st season to 24 his 2nd but I don't expect big jumps like that now. Physically I don't think he has anything to prove in Juniors wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't drop the gloves as much this year.

Barbara Underhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:42 AM
haveandare

McI has been our best D prospect in preseason so far IMO, hands down. I don't know if that means he's "better" than MDZ or Erixon but he's certainly more natural at playing the D side than they are. You notice his D - he lays big hits, he blocks big shots, he rarely gets beat straight up. MDZ and Erixon are supposed to be offensive D men and MDZ has shown some nice passing but Erixon, much to my dismay, hasn't show anything since TC. That worries me.

I'm not opposed to McI staying up. He's earned it.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote