HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Matt Duchene vs. John Tavares Now/Future

View Poll Results: Duchene vs. Tavares
Duchene Now and in the Future 66 25.68%
Duchene Now and Tavares in the Future 36 14.01%
Tavares Now and in the Future 148 57.59%
Tavares Now and Duchene in the Future 7 2.72%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2011, 09:47 PM
  #201
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton the Great View Post
You're talking to the guy who thinks the Islanders will finish top five in the league in scoring. You aren't going to get any sort of a logical response.
The Isles are only 7 goals back from the League Leader in Goals early on in the season. Why don't you stop making yourself look like a clown by disputing something that could very well happen.

The Isles are averaging 2.75 goals per game in the early going, good for top 12 in the league so far, with a majority of scoring coming from one line. They are exactly .5 less, per game, than the highest scoring team.

Mr. Anton the Troll, you need a new hobby.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:13 PM
  #202
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Jones/Josi
 
CalleJAMkrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Yesterday
Country: Somalia
Posts: 4,131
vCash: 500
i really like both but i chose tavares now and future. JT's got crazy skill vision is ridiculous and IQ is off the charts. but its not like duchene is lacking in any of those categories... they will both be great players in this league no doubt about it.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:41 PM
  #203
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Duchene does not have more potential than John Tavares, and even the biggest of Duchene supporters can see that. Stop reaching.
*shrug* I disagree. Duchene's got better top end speed, is a better defender with the potential to blow JT out of the water on that end of the ice, has superior puck control and is more explosive. If Dutchy ever develops a top tier shot and learns how to best utilize his team-mates he can match JT point for point while blowing him away on D and having more ability to pop the puck into the net all on his own.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 05:49 PM
  #204
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabguy View Post
You can delude yourself to believe that 9th round draft picks and career AHL players Matt Moulson and PA Parenteau is just as good as playing alongside Milan Hejduk and Peter Forsberg. You're just going to look foolish. The fact that Duchene did not overwhelm Tavare's stats while playing alongside these upper echelon players supports the notion that he's not of the same calibre as Tavares. Its that simple. Sure they're stats appear the same but anyone familiar with the situation would see the obvious. One guy had to do it with one arm tied behind his back while the other one was pampered along the way. Again, we are comparing apples to oranges here and the numbers clearly don't tell the whole story.

Again, no one is saying that Matt Duchene is a bad hockey player. No one is saying at all. In fact, I think a fairer comparison would be Ryan Strome, a talented fast, puck handling wiz who will score tons of goals in the NHL. However, I'm pretty sure even he wouldn't dare make comparisons to John Tavares. JT has been a star since his early teens and on every level he eventually made it to the top of his class. There's no reason to believe that he won't accomplish that same level of play in the NHL. With each passing game we see that talent oozing from his hands. We expect JT to score points because that's what he does- no one gets too excited, its just expected of him. What we are excited to see is when his full potential is realized and the point explosion begins. We are excited because many of us feel this will be the year. He should have a talented linemate at his wing this year (albeit inexperienced) so there's lots to look forward to.
Do you even know how many games Forsberg played last year? Just FYI but he spent more games with guys like Kevin Porter and Olver on his wing than he did with Forsberg or Mueller. While I'll admit that Kevin Porter is clearly better than any winger on the islanders...it's not by much...

I like that you admit that Tavares had an unfair advantage over Duchene in that he got to develop chemistry by spending an extended period of time with his wingers, but IMO it's more like Dutchy was doing it with both hands tied behind his back rather than just one...

You're right though, JT is a poor comparison for Dutchy cause he'll never be as fast, explosive or tough to knock off of the puck as Dutchy but if he learns to play D he could eventually develop into Staz 2.0 Both aren't great athletes, aren't dominant individual players but are really smart and manage to use that intelligence to make up for none exceptional physical tools...

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:20 PM
  #205
KH1
Registered User
 
KH1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Under the cap floor
Country: United States
Posts: 16,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Is that why the Islanders picked him up for free on waivers because he was so successful ? In all honesty Tavares made Moulson a very rich man and I gaurantee Moulson Agent during contact negotiations new that if Moulson signed elsewhere it would of cost him millions in future salary
I wish that people would defend Tavares on his obvious talent instead of using the tired "his linemates suck!" argument.

Obviously Moulson benefits from playing on 91's wing (who wouldn't?) but he's a fine goal scorer in his own right. The type of goals that he scores come almost exclusively from positioning--he would be getting deflections and rebounds no matter who was centering him.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
  #206
SJSharks2010
Registered User
 
SJSharks2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,102
vCash: 500
Tavares. Not even remotely close.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 03:27 AM
  #207
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,742
vCash: 500
As an Avs fan, I'd take Tavares any day of the week, and that's not really a knock on Duchene.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2011, 07:35 AM
  #208
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
The Isles are only 7 goals back from the League Leader in Goals early on in the season. Why don't you stop making yourself look like a clown by disputing something that could very well happen.

The Isles are averaging 2.75 goals per game in the early going, good for top 12 in the league so far, with a majority of scoring coming from one line. They are exactly .5 less, per game, than the highest scoring team.

Mr. Anton the Troll, you need a new hobby.
If the majority of scoring is coming from Tavares' line, would that not mean there is an equally possible chance they go cold and the Islanders struggle to score in addition to the chance of the other lines becoming hot?

There's better offensive teams than what the Islanders should produce this season, it's not a knock on them.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 05:06 PM
  #209
Seto
New Jersey 5000
 
Seto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 5,666
vCash: 500
Voat sum moor

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 01:14 PM
  #210
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,186
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Voat sum moor
They're really too close and too different right now to call. Until Tavares puts up that 100 point season people think he will that will separate him for Duchene they're just too close to call.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
  #211
Paulinho
No Man's Sky
 
Paulinho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Earth
Country: United States
Posts: 2,302
vCash: 500
Can't believe how many people voted Duchene.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.