HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Hockey News Oilers Top 10 Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2004, 04:45 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Hockey News Oilers Top 10 Prospects

I'm going to post the top 10 prospects for the Oilers by the THN Yearbook.

1) Jeff Woywitka
2) Jani Rita
3) Doug Lynch
4) Jeff Deslauriers
5) Tony Salmelainen
6) Matt Greene
7) Marc-Andre Pouliot
8) Jesse Niinimaki
9) Alexei Mikhnov
10) Joe Cullen

Comments???

08-20-2004, 04:48 PM
thistle

Wow, no Schremp! I guess there criteria is quite different than HF's.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:55 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Comments???
It appears to be a list of who's closest to NHL ready. Except that Pouliot and especially Drouin-Deslauriers are ranked really high if that's the case.

Old
08-20-2004, 04:58 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I'm assuming they aren't counting the most recent draft class (or they don't have a whole lot of faith in the guys we picked). I would probably have had JDD at the top and my personal opinion on prospects is that they shouldn't be considered a prospect once you have a one-way contract so that would take Rita out completely. My personal top 10 (excluding the class of 2004) would look more like:

Deslauriers
Woywitka
Lynch
Pouliot
Greene
Mikhnov
Salmelainen
Niinimaki
McDonald
Brodziak

It's not radically different from theirs.

Old
08-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle
Wow, no Schremp! I guess there criteria is quite different than HF's.
I forget to mention. The list excludes 2004 draft picks.

Old
08-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:

1) Jeff Woywitka
2) Jani Rita
3) Doug Lynch
4) Jeff Deslauriers
5) Tony Salmelainen
6) Matt Greene
7) Marc-Andre Pouliot
8) Jesse Niinimaki
9) Alexei Mikhnov
10) Joe Cullen

Comments???
Is RobT's name on the By Line? If so, I'll find out what THN uses for criteria. I;ve long suspected and assumed there's was a "closest to the NHL" but only for impact players. Clearly, closest to the NHL is basically the roster list of the Edmonton Road Runners.

Old
08-20-2004, 08:34 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Is RobT's name on the By Line? If so, I'll find out what THN uses for criteria. I;ve long suspected and assumed there's was a "closest to the NHL" but only for impact players. Clearly, closest to the NHL is basically the roster list of the Edmonton Road Runners.
I have the magazine and to quote "Blue squares indicate projected sure-fire NHLers" Not included are 2004 draft picks. So I assumed that the list was based on who they feel is best ready to make the NHL

The four sure fire NHL'ers are Woywitka, Rita, Lynch and Deslauriers and in that order. They feel the trade of Chimera opened the door for Rita as we all do.

Rookies to watch, Woywitka, Lynch and Rita.

Rob T did do the article.

Other interesting things, Hemsky is the future, Ryan Smyth Mr. Charlie Hustle, Jason Smith is the leading man, The unsung hero is Ethan Moreau, and the Warrier George Laraque. Overall team grade a C.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

A pretty tepid review of the current Oiler roster and team prospects if and when NHL hockey returns. Titled 'Oilers' Hard Work Not Good Enough', Rob Tychkowski writes 'The standard by which Edmonton had been measuring its success in the past - finishing eighth and putting up a valiant battle before going out in the first round - is no longer good enough.

Tough but a pretty fair accounting of the state of Oiler hockey imo.

Old
08-21-2004, 04:41 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:

1) Jeff Woywitka
2) Jani Rita
3) Doug Lynch
4) Jeff Deslauriers
5) Tony Salmelainen
6) Matt Greene
7) Marc-Andre Pouliot
8) Jesse Niinimaki
9) Alexei Mikhnov
10) Joe Cullen

Comments???
this is the pre draft rankings--THN updates it every 12 months

Old
08-21-2004, 08:38 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
so is the year book out on newstands, i been busy so i haven't really been around lately
anyway thanks in advance as i will be alseep when someone answers this

Old
08-21-2004, 10:30 AM
jadeddog

why ANYBODY actually buys magazines like this is just beyond me.... to be honest, i dont really see how or why people buy magazines or print in general .... they are soooo behind the times most of the time... the internet is the *only* place to get information.... print is a lumbering dinosaur that will hopefully be put out of its misery soon enough

Old
08-21-2004, 11:02 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
why ANYBODY actually buys magazines like this is just beyond me.... to be honest, i dont really see how or why people buy magazines or print in general .... they are soooo behind the times most of the time... the internet is the *only* place to get information.... print is a lumbering dinosaur that will hopefully be put out of its misery soon enough
Print is easier to take in the bathtub/ on the toilet.

Old
08-21-2004, 11:06 AM
jadeddog

PDA man, PDA

*editing cause a PDA is defintily not a PAD

Old
08-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Wow, pretty strong opinion, which perhaps suggest your age? And jadeddog, I don't mean this as an insult just reinforcing the internet 'effect' especially with younger folk. Funny, I actually received a comp copy of THN yearbook because of problems/issues with the lumbering dinosaur's distribution.

That being said, would I rely solely on the internet for my information? Likely no. And in my world is there still room for a quality print publication (ie. Vanity Fair) versus going blind reading content online? Gotta say yes. Still something appealing for me anyways about a crisp, tactile, printed publication.

To each their own.

Old
08-21-2004, 11:58 AM
jadeddog

hey, im not saying that magazines dont serve a purpose.... i still read LOTS of magazines, i just read them online... but the magazines i read are also ones that arent really focused on "current news" so much..... something where reporting a week or so late isnt a big deal, such as "mountain bike".... but for actually relying on print to give you the fastes, most up-to-date information is laughable.... the internet is almost instant in its updating.... ah and btw, im 27 and im a computer tech/programmer, so im VERY biased here, lol

Old
08-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
hey, im not saying that magazines dont serve a purpose.... i still read LOTS of magazines, i just read them online... but the magazines i read are also ones that arent really focused on "current news" so much..... something where reporting a week or so late isnt a big deal, such as "mountain bike".... but for actually relying on print to give you the fastes, most up-to-date information is laughable.... the internet is almost instant in its updating.... ah and btw, im 27 and im a computer tech/programmer, so im VERY biased here, lol
Agree on both your final points - the internet is the fastest medium for most up to date news and information and, secondly, your bias as a computer techie.

Old
08-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Boozers

Will Alexei Mikhnov play for the Road Runners this year? Or will he play in Russia? I wish he would play here because you can evaluate him a little better and I want to see what he can do.

Old
08-21-2004, 12:59 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers
Will Alexei Mikhnov play for the Road Runners this year? Or will he play in Russia? I wish he would play here because you can evaluate him a little better and I want to see what he can do.
I've been told that in the last week or so he has signed with Omsk in the Russian league.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:51 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
I've been told that in the last week or so he has signed with Omsk in the Russian league.
I thought that happened a while ago. Any word on the length of the contract? This year is a write off anyway with the CBA, but if we could bring him over 2005, that would rule. I am really excited to see how he does on a better team, and with eyesight...

Old
08-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I thought that happened a while ago. Any word on the length of the contract? This year is a write off anyway with the CBA, but if we could bring him over 2005, that would rule. I am really excited to see how he does on a better team, and with eyesight...
No word on contract length. As early as ten days ago he played an exhibition game with Novosibirsk, at least he appeared on the game summary.

Old
08-22-2004, 03:25 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
THN has always been way behind the times statswise, the info in that paper is a week old by the time it gets out west. The Oiler-related stories in it are also common knowledge to those who follow the team closely. About the only use I've ever had for it is to get a brief glimpse of what's happening with all the other nhl teams and teams/players/leagues around the world, plus they do a good job of previewing the major events.

Closed Thread