HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs @ Sabres...

Old
09-24-2011, 11:20 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
With Lombardi close to returning, Kadri is AHL bound
Hard to find a spot for him if Lombardi is in the lineup, but I have a feeling he'll find his way onto the team before long.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:20 PM
HockeyFanSince86
The Team People Love

I just have a feeling that this year fans will get on Gus. It is unfortunate because he was the one that kept us in this game. He came up with big saves at key times and almost had that third goal in his glove, had he got that we would be signing his praises.

If this keeps up I can see him being chased from Toronto and he is a good enough goalie that he will get picked up and maybe become another goalie given up on to soon. Some people need to stop looking for bad all the time and start looking for some good. Gus needs confidence and he won't get it being boo'ed, even when he has a good game, he is not going to get a shut out every night.

Take a look at what has happened to Price this pre season and even tonight Schieder.

HockeyFanSince86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:21 PM
Nikolai Coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kule Aid Man View Post
I was wondering when your negative post on Gus was coming.. I guess it took a little time to make some stuff up for this one. Poor puck handling? He was fantastic at that tonight and did not make one error on it. Needs to smother puck for whistles!? LOL so you were just sitting there watching him and waiting for anything you could get disgusted by and you see him play the puck with his glove that one time (Where he had to because there was a ton of room and refs don't let you cover a puck as a goalie when there is no one around) and you think to yourself my god what an awful goaltender!

Did he over commit a few times tonight? sure, that is definitely one of his weaknesses not to mention he is sporting brand new pads..

But putting him in the 'unimpressed' category for this game makes you either blinded by strange hatred or just really bad at watching and understanding hockey.
In another post, he named Reimer the best player in the 4-0 loss against the Flyers.

Nikolai Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:22 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstuck View Post
The horrible reality we have to accept this year is.... That Buffalo is going to be like really really good
We gave em a good run for their W last night. Even Miller can't steal every game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
Anyone else think Lombardi will be our 1st line center by the end of October? I would love to see Kessel and Lombardi's speed on the same line. Maybe even Kadri on the other wing. It would certainly lack strength, but could be fun to watch. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
Nope. If he's healthy, he'll be on 3rd line wing, and Kadri will start with the Marlies. From what I've seen out of Connolly and Lombardi, Tim's a better fit for the Kessel line (and is more skilled than Lombo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Coolman View Post
37 shots against, 21 shots for, 3 PPG against, 25% PK.

Something tells me the problem wasn't Gustavsson.
Reimer would have inspired our offense, and our defense would have played better, becuase they would have had more confidence. Or some such crap.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:25 PM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dio666 View Post
I doubt that. He really has nothing to prove during exhibition.
Can you explain to me how a player who has only 40 nhl games under his belt, was a -1 and has only registered 2 g and 0 a has nothing to prove in exhibition?

Sure he played well down the stretch last season on the top pairing, but he still has to play better than 5 defenseman to earn an opening day spot on the roster. Based on this preseason, he's my odd man out. That doesn't mean he'll be in the A all season, but he in no way should be handed a spot.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Dark Knight
Lawson Crouse

At times, I believe, we tend to give our players too much of a free pass. Mike Komisarek, for example, looked horrible tonight against a much mobile Sabres team and couldn't stop anyone in front of him. I know it's preseason and the games don't mean much, but show something new this time around, something that convinces us that you might have figured things out.

All I see is exactly what I've seen from him last year and the year before: passes that are never tape-to-tape, inability to contain his man and taking the puck away cleanly, and an awful hard time trying to clear the puck out of his zone in pressure situations.

I just hope that he isn't being given a free pass just because its preseason. Gardiner has massively outplayed him and deserves to be on the team more than him, despite the salary he makes.

09-24-2011, 11:37 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
Can you explain to me how a player who has only 40 nhl games under his belt, was a -1 and has only registered 2 g and 0 a has nothing to prove in exhibition?

Sure he played well down the stretch last season on the top pairing, but he still has to play better than 5 defenseman to earn an opening day spot on the roster. Based on this preseason, he's my odd man out. That doesn't mean he'll be in the A all season, but he in no way should be handed a spot.
It all comes down to Phaneuf. I would imagine in the next exhibition games, RW will try some different partners with Dion on ES. If Gunnar or even Gardiner can be effective, while allowing Phaneuf to do his thing, Aulie could very well be the odd man out. Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on it.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
It all comes down to Phaneuf. I would imagine in the next exhibition games, RW will try some different partners with Dion on ES. If Gunnar or even Gardiner can be effective, while allowing Phaneuf to do his thing, Aulie could very well be the odd man out. Otherwise, I wouldn't bet on it.
Interesting. Good point.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:53 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
I really want to see a Gunnarsson - Phaneuf tandem, I really think they could form a strong pair.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Schenn
Liles-Franson
Komisarek

If that happens, then we have one godly D lineup. Esp. if Gardiner proves that he is what he is showing right now, and Schenn can come back to "human eraser" form, that pairing can wreck through teams (defensively and offensively).

I hope RW isn't too conservative this time and tries something about this.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:13 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsfan80 View Post
Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Schenn
Liles-Franson
Komisarek

If that happens, then we have one godly D lineup. Esp. if Gardiner proves that he is what he is showing right now, and Schenn can come back to "human eraser" form, that pairing can wreck through teams (defensively and offensively).

I hope RW isn't too conservative this time and tries something about this.
That's the type of lineup I'd like to see at least tried out in a pre-season game.

The only problems might be the defensive capabilities of that bottom pairing, as well as the fact that Liles would not be getting a lot of ice time unless the plan would be to balance out the 3 pairs.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:19 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I wonder if the (at times) disorganized style of the preseason games plays against our bigger shut-down guys?

Without structure (or implementing new systems), there's a lot of running around, and it seems to be hurting them. Not to mention proper chemistry throughout the lineup.

I bring up this point because it seems the more defensive minded, physical defenders are having the most trouble this preseason... I think the mistakes are under the microscope more because of this.

Just throwing it out there.

09-25-2011, 12:26 AM
exporta

Quote:
True enough, chemistry is everything. I missed the first couple of preseason games, though the feeling I got after reading about the games is that Aulie and Phaneuf weren't very good together.

That being said, I didn't see the game(s) so can't comment. But my main point was that Aulie by no means has a spot on this team based on a 40 gm sample. Bozak became Kessels centre after a similar stint down the stretch, we all saw how that turned out.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:26 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I wonder if the (at times) disorganized style of the preseason games plays against our bigger shut-down guys?

Without structure (or implementing new systems), there's a lot of running around, and it seems to be hurting them. Not to mention proper chemistry throughout the lineup.

I bring up this point because it seems the more defensive minded, physical defenders are having the most trouble this preseason... I think the mistakes are under the microscope more because of this.

Good points JE.

Since it's pre-season and all, a lot of the younger guys are getting long hard looks, and it would be tough for the coaches to utilize systems effectively because the lineup is so inconsistent except for a few guys.

I think less attention to detail is made in the defensive aspects of the game because there are different pairings every night, and again since it's a lot of younger players, their defensive games may not be as in tune.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:32 AM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post

This is quite possible, though I imagine that if you are going to be a top pairing defenseman in the NHL, you should be able to adapt quickly.

Disfunctional systems should be easy for a guy slotted on our top pairing to defend against - big/physical or not.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:44 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Healey is always going off on the Leafs. He applied for their GM job a few years ago and has been anti-Leafs since.

He's a punk hiding behind his analyst role.
the best was last season when they showed most giveaways by team and the leafs were second worst, with the oilers being last. but he gave them an exemption because they were a young team and its part of the process. yet the leafs were a younger team last year.

he's awful.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corleone View Post
its preseason yo
tru dat, yo

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:56 AM
LeafsTFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
the best was last season when they showed most giveaways by team and the leafs were second worst, with the oilers being last. but he gave them an exemption because they were a young team and its part of the process. yet the leafs were a younger team last year.

he's awful.
I met him at a street party about a month ago (I should post the picture from my phone of him playing his bagpipes) and he is the same in person as on TV. Obnoxious and with an unnecessarily loud voice to spew horrid opinions

LeafsTFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:59 AM
Tak7

Apparently Glenn Healy thinks that if your not a superstar and if you make mistakes as a youngster, your a bust.

Almost makes me wonder whether he posts around these boards sometimes.

I also caught that Oilers/Leafs giveaway thing.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Good points JE.

Since it's pre-season and all, a lot of the younger guys are getting long hard looks, and it would be tough for the coaches to utilize systems effectively because the lineup is so inconsistent except for a few guys.

I think less attention to detail is made in the defensive aspects of the game because there are different pairings every night, and again since it's a lot of younger players, their defensive games may not be as in tune.
Its a fair point, but then why isn't it happening to our opponents who also have the same thing to deal with in regards to defensive systems and breakdowns?

09-25-2011, 01:45 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Its a fair point, but then why isn't it happening to our opponents who also have the same thing to deal with in regards to defensive systems and breakdowns?
It's just people making more excuses for young players who should be prepared to play hockey. These guys aren't teenagers. They should know what they are doing.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Bauxjangles

I am going to laugh if Gustavsson walks away after this season, signs with someone else and does amazing. If it happens i bet there will be a ton of topics saying we should have kept him.

Also Gustavsson kept us in that game anyone who says differently i want to know what game you were watching.

Bauxjangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Ratboy
Leafs DGAF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
While I think Gus was quite good tonight, I do agree that his glaring weaknesses will always hold him back. He has such a hard time tracking the puck, and over commits badly at times.
i notice when the puck goes behind the net he usually doesn't realize where it's gone and looks the wrong way for a few seconds..

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:57 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauxjangles View Post
I am going to laugh if Gustavsson walks away after this season, signs with someone else and does amazing. If it happens i bet there will be a ton of topics saying we should have kept him.

Also Gustavsson kept us in that game anyone who says differently i want to know what game you were watching.
While that may be true, he looked shakey early in the game, losing the puck and struggling to re-find it. I wasn't impressed early.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Kamal007
A$VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I was waiting for that.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote