Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Jets @ Predators September 24th/ 2011

Continue discussion of the game here.

09-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Good game to watch. I thought we controlled the play most of the game. Weber and Suter played every other shift.

The 3 Rookie D did not look out of place. Sol and Chiariot looked pretty good will be better after some time in the AHL

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:50 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Not much too say
Decent game all thibgs considering

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Good game, was hoping for some overtime. Lots of rookies versus a lot of NHLers and only a one goal difference. If Bodie wasn't an idiot we might've won.

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:52 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
I think Noel and crew got a few of the answers they were looking for tonight regarding roster - good effort, but some definite lapses in play. It's evident that the players that were sat out (or are playing in Carolina tomorrow) were greatly missed.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:52 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Nashville also had most of there nhl team on the ice
While winnipeg didnt have wheeler buff bogo ladd etc....
True, but this was also our fourth game so that's to be expected. We only had two guys on our blueline who are guaranteed to be on the NHL roster, and Pickard was in net for most of the game because of the Rinne cut.

Anyway, good game. Special teams decided it. I'm pleasantly surprised that Nashville scored on their PP opportunities, but it's probably too much to ask that the regular season PP has the same success

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Not much too say
Decent game all things considering

So much so that you had to say it twice!

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

We did very well considering our lineup.

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So much so that you had to say it twice!
LoL
Didnt realize that haha
Stupid ipod

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 09:58 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

At least it wasn't as painful as the Bomber game. I wasn't unhappy given that it was such a mix of NHLers and minor leaguers.

Andy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
At least it wasn't as painful as the Bomber game. I wasn't unhappy given that it was such a mix of NHLers and minor leaguers.
That was a hard game to swallow. We didn't get creamed, so it's not like it was that bad. We are a good team, just got to fill in the gaps.

Old
09-24-2011, 10:09 PM
ilikeblocks

i'm thinking scheifele surely makes the team now.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:21 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
i'm thinking scheifele surely makes the team now.
Noel didn't seem too impressed with his play calling it OK. He also tends to turn the puck over on bad areas of the ice, which will most certainly improve.

I am sure we will get another look Monday afternoon. I can see him playing 9 games and heading back to Barrie.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Noel didn't seem too impressed with his play calling it OK. He also tends to turn the puck over on bad areas of the ice, which will most certainly improve.

I am sure we will get another look Monday afternoon. I can see him playing 9 games and heading back to Barrie.
Again, I'm thinking there is no rush to get him in the NHL. Let him stay in the minors for a year or two and develop his skills. There is plenty of time. Why rush these kids?

Old
09-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

5 year plan people.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:34 PM
PostmanPat1919

Overall a pretty decent game from the Jets. The Predators are a couple games ahead of us in regards to their pre-season and thus are beginning to narrow their lineup towards what they'll be icing for the opening of the season. The Jets on the other hand put up a very "B" side including some prospects who should have been simply outclassed by the Predators. Clearly the game in St. John's is the main event for this split squad. Regardless the Jets played a tough structured defence that was difficult to break down five on five.

I think it's fairly clear that Postma is offensively pretty gifted, but that he has some pretty apparent defensive problems to his game. Not sure if we need another offensively gifted/defensively troublesome defenceman on the Jets' roster considering we have Byfuglien and Bogosian around. If he gets his defensive game together, then he'll be a very good add for this team long-term.

Other good players this evening I thought were Little, Meech, Gregoire and McArdle.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:43 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostmanPat1919 View Post
Overall a pretty decent game from the Jets. The Predators are a couple games ahead of us in regards to their pre-season and thus are beginning to narrow their lineup towards what they'll be icing for the opening of the season. The Jets on the other hand put up a very "B" side including some prospects who should have been simply outclassed by the Predators. Clearly the game in St. John's is the main event for this split squad. Regardless the Jets played a tough structured defence that was difficult to break down five on five.

I think it's fairly clear that Postma is offensively pretty gifted, but that he has some pretty apparent defensive problems to his game. Not sure if we need another offensively gifted/defensively troublesome defenceman on the Jets' roster considering we have Byfuglien and Bogosian around. If he gets his defensive game together, then he'll be a very good add for this team long-term.

Other good players this evening I thought were Little, Meech, Gregoire and McArdle.
Good assessment of the game. Postma did look like he was runnning in circles at times but does have offensive upside.

I wonder if we would trade Bogo for a top six forward at some point this season if he isn't working out? He was -1 in Winnipeg the other night, seemingly picking up where he left off last season. I personally wasn't impressed with his defensive play and decision making abilities but iin fairness it was only 3 days after camp started. I am looking forward to some improved play the next time we see him hit the ice.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I honestly don't believe Scheifele is getting the 9 games. I will be surprised if he does. First and foremost, I truthfully think he's better served with another year or two in the OHL. Secondly, if management is pretty confident we're not keeping him (and I think they have a pretty decent idea by now, personally) I believe we'll send him back to Barrie sooner rather than later. If we were to keep him for 9 games, that is an entire months worth of the OHL season schedule in which Hawerchuk won't have him in Barrie - and that's a very long time to not have your best player. While that may not sound 'right', it does indeed weigh on the decisions by NHL teams of when to cut some of these kids if they know they're not going to keep them.

My OHL teams GM, Dave Reid (former NHL'er) made phone calls daily and was in pretty constant communication with the NHL teams who had our players. Some 1st round picks don't even get in pre-season games. If the NHL team knows these kids aren't staying, they generally send them back to their junior teams fairly quickly.

Now, i'm not saying this IS or WILL be the case with Scheifele, perhaps he does play some or all of the 9 games. However, I personally do not believe he will see the 9 games. Maybe 1 or 2, but even that I strongly doubt.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-24-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM
PensFan6687

Pat is smart and knows his hockey. I can attest to that.

How close is Gregoire? I gave up my preseason tickets and only saw a max of 5 minutes of tonight's game.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM
PostmanPat1919

I don't see the Jets as being a team that would rush Scheifele unless they were absolutely confident in his abilities to perform at the NHL level this year. At the moment there's clear pros and cons to keeping him around with the Jets and thus given their cautiousness they'll almost certainly default to the easiest option of sending him back to Barrie.

That said, you're right Guerzy about the potential that Scheifele isn't even likely to get his 9 games before being sent down. I'm pretty sure he won't even get a contract this season either. Regardless I think his experience in camp has been a tremendous boost to his play and will make him a better, more confident player at the OHL level. I fully expect him to post significant numbers this season for the Colts, maybe even 100 points provided he's sent down relatively soon and Barrie keeps playing as well as they have been thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I honestly don't believe Scheifele is getting the 9 games. I will be surprised if he does. First and foremost, I truthfully think he's better served with another year or two in the OHL. Secondly, if management is pretty confident we're not keeping him (and I think they have a pretty decent idea by now, personally) I believe we'll send him back to Barrie sooner rather than later. If we were to keep him for 9 games, that is an entire months worth of the OHL season schedule in which Hawerchuk won't have him in Barrie - and that's a very long time to not have your best player. While that may not sound 'right', it does indeed weigh on the decisions by NHL teams of when to cut some of these kids if they know they're not going to keep them.

My OHL teams GM, Dave Reid (former NHL'er) made phone calls daily and was in pretty constant communication with the NHL teams who had our players. Some 1st round picks don't even get in pre-season games. If the NHL team knows these kids aren't staying, they generally send them back to their junior teams fairly quickly.

Now, i'm not saying this IS or WILL be the case with Scheifele, perhaps he does play some or all of the 9 games. However, I personally do not believe he will see the 9 games. Maybe 1 or 2, but even that I strongly doubt.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Hammer Slammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
How close is Gregoire? I gave up my preseason tickets and only saw a max of 5 minutes of tonight's game.
He was getting his ass kicked by Nashville's defence.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:25 AM
Hammer Slammer

Goals from tonight.

Old
09-25-2011, 12:31 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I only saw part of the game but I thought Machacek looked good.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:42 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

He was only good for part of it..

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Well did not see all of the game cause I was watching the Bomber game, but my notes would be that much as I did not think Scheifele was as good as people thought in the CBS game, I thought he was better than better than people thought tonight. He seemed to be making better decisions with the puck and playing better positionally and defensively tonight.
Machecek looked good at times, but that one turnover is pretty damn obvious blunder.
Bodie's trying hard to make the team with his fists, not sure if it will work.
I thought McArdle looked very very good at there, tonight, but plays a similiar style to Stapleton/Thorburn so might not be room as Thorburn is for sure better and Stapleton is a one way deal.
Cormier was better out there tonight than CBS but still not doing alot.
Enstrom is head and shoulders above the rest of the d-men, Oduya was dissapointing.
Postma is unreal offensively, but might need to work on his d-zone more in St. John's.
Give Aebischer a chance, cause Mason is not giving anyone hope.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote