HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets @ Predators September 24th/ 2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-25-2011, 01:26 AM
  #26
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 50
Really didn't see much in Stapleton plus he is really small and already 29, heck even Wellwood is younger!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:50 AM
  #27
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Scheifele had a fine game. He made some errors, all rookies do. If you expected him to be error free you didn't have realistic expectations. He was still good.

The encouraging part for me is that he's obviously a really smart player. His mistakes were made because he had less time than he was used to or he was playing against more skilled defenders than he's used to. As he gets more experience and continues to develop his own skill, he'll turn those mistakes around.

Being a smart player is the key, and he's going to be a really good one. Maybe sooner, maybe later.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:29 AM
  #28
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: 222 Tudor Terrace
Posts: 8,462
vCash: 1200
The big picture view here is that a portion of our team basically held the Preds regular season lineup to a one goal game; the deciding factor was a goal that was kicked in and wouldn't have been allowed in the regular season. The young D were missing assignments all night long.

I found the game to be encouraging, considering that we basically outplayed them for 2 of 3 periods while using roughly just half of our lineup.


Last edited by Gump Hasek: 09-25-2011 at 08:39 AM. Reason: cut one line for no reason
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 07:31 AM
  #29
King Woodballs
**** HFJets
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,183
vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I only saw part of the game but I thought Machacek looked good.
Except the part where he coughed up the puck in front of the net that lead to a goal.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:18 AM
  #30
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Team discipline needs to get better. Taking the amount of penalties that the Jets have so far is going to lead to many losses in the regular season. Noel needs to pull in the reigns of some of the players that have been making consistent errors. The PK hasn't looked all that good, which was a weak point of last years club. This team can't afford to give other teams the advantage by taking a lot of penalties. This is definitely something I'll continue to watch and hope it gets better as the roster continues to unfold.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:23 AM
  #31
DarthMonty
Makin' saves
 
DarthMonty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Optimismville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,655
vCash: 50
Even though a loss, the results are very encouraging. I saw a cast of rookies and lesser experienced NHL players (for the most part) stay even with the Predators NHL line-up.

With Claude Noel as coach, the Jets look and play remarkably similar to the Moose of last year. The whole team hustles, the PP is never static and the forechecking is severe.

The Jets had trouble in the neutral zone, leading to odd man Predator rushes, and at least two of the goals against could be attributed to turn-overs in the neutral zone and resulting frantic play in the defensive zone.

Gregoire, McArdle, Meech and Postma, even if they don't make the big team at the start of the season, will surely make the Jets either later in the season, or on a regular basis next year. Postma has huge offensive upside, and will be schooled on defensive smarts down in St. Johns. The other three work and hustle hard enough to overcome deficiencies so some seasoning and learning with the Ice Caps should mold them into legitimate NHL third or fourth liners/ 6th to 7th D-men.

Kane, Little and Enstrom look like ten year veterans. Holy crow, Enstrom is gold. He's a Lidstrom in the making - no surprise if he's being talked about as a Norris candidate in 4 or 5 years.

I don't understand why some people are advocating that Scheifele should stay with the Jets. Send him back to Barrie where he'll play 20-25 minutes per game. Let him work on conditioning and build some more bulk; he would do well to add another 15 to 20 pounds of muscle. The Jets have time to be cautious - a minimum of three years - before the fans get restless. This year we will suffer through anything just because we're so thrilled to have the NHL back. If the Jets can make the play-offs next year that should tide over the fans until some of the newer draft picks have developed. The future looks awfully bright from where I'm sitting.

DarthMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:28 AM
  #32
Le Golie
...
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Team discipline needs to get better. Taking the amount of penalties that the Jets have so far is going to lead to many losses in the regular season. Noel needs to pull in the reigns of some of the players that have been making consistent errors. The PK hasn't looked all that good, which was a weak point of last years club. This team can't afford to give other teams the advantage by taking a lot of penalties. This is definitely something I'll continue to watch and hope it gets better as the roster continues to unfold.
A lot of our penalties in these exhibition games have been roughing and retaliation for rough play. Training camp type penalties where these tough bubble guys are trying to get noticed. I'm not going to worry about team discipline until the regular season.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:28 AM
  #33
JetFan4Ever
Registered User
 
JetFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 346
vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Except the part where he coughed up the puck in front of the net that lead to a goal.
I don't think it's fair to say he coughed up the puck. He never had control of it because it was bouncing like crazy. If he had made a bad decision or bad play with it, I would have agreeded with you but that is not what happened.

JetFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:30 AM
  #34
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,596
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
I don't think it's fair to say he coughed up the puck. He never had control of it because it was bouncing like crazy. If he had made a bad decision or bad play with it, I would have agreeded with you but that is not what happened.
i dunno he did look pretty bad on that goal

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:34 AM
  #35
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:55 AM
  #36
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
 
AndersUlfBobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
i dunno he did look pretty bad on that goal
^agreed.

He pushed the puck forward and then pushed it back, and it never really looked like he had complete control of what he wanted to do with it. In front of your own net you don't screw around with the puck like that. You just get it the hack away from the front of the net.

Bad mistake.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:03 AM
  #37
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
A lot of our penalties in these exhibition games have been roughing and retaliation for rough play. Training camp type penalties where these tough bubble guys are trying to get noticed. I'm not going to worry about team discipline until the regular season.
I agree that a lot of these penalties come from guys trying to make an impression to be a part of the NHL team. I just wouldn't dismiss it either. Trying to fix the issues in the regular season isn't a good way to win games. I hope it's something that could be addressed before we go into the regular season, because if it's not, then we're in for a long season. IMO Smart teams play disciplined hockey, teams that lack talent usually play more of an undisciplined style.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
  #38
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,796
vCash: 1125
I missed this game unfortunately, can anyone tell me how Scheifele, Kane, Little, and Enstrom did?

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:38 AM
  #39
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 'Peg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I missed this game unfortunately, can anyone tell me how Scheifele, Kane, Little, and Enstrom did?
Scheifele didn't do much of anything, including mistakes. Kane looked so-so, Little looked decent and had a nice pass behind the net to Machacek for the first goal.. and Enstrom was steady in every area.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:40 AM
  #40
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,796
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Scheifele didn't do much of anything, including mistakes. Kane looked so-so, Little looked decent and had a nice pass behind the net to Machacek for the first goal.. and Enstrom was steady in every area.
Thanks!

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:04 AM
  #41
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,179
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Scheifele didn't do much of anything, including mistakes. Kane looked so-so, Little looked decent and had a nice pass behind the net to Machacek for the first goal.. and Enstrom was steady in every area.
Scheifele was a sleeper most of the game but did make a real nice move to open ice to and took a pretty good shot in the last minute of the game.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:15 AM
  #42
Jet
Moderator
Spoiled Rotten
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,605
vCash: 50
I'm still giving Bodie 2 thumbs up for what he did. It's pre season and what Huggy Bear *tried to do to Toby is utter garbage. Take the penalties. I actually wish he would have pounded on him a bit.

It might to us, but remember winning or losing means diddly squat in the preseason.

It's still early, but based on Mason's 2 games and Aebeischer's play in the CBJ Winnipeg game, I am really starting to hope that David backs up Pavelec this year. Again, it's still early, but Mason has been terrible.

I thought Oduya played fairly well... he looks like a vet going through the motions in preseason. I still am going to give him a few months with the new team/ coaches before I get on his case.

__________________
Go Jets Go!
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:20 AM
  #43
King Woodballs
**** HFJets
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 34,183
vCash: 375
Question:

You all you that are bent out of shape about what Stortini did to Enstrom If he had tried to do it to.... say Oduya... would you still be bent out of shape?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:27 AM
  #44
justincredible
Registered User
 
justincredible's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 34
vCash: 500
^^ considering it's preseason, yes it was dirty.

justincredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:32 AM
  #45
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,923
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Question:

You all you that are bent out of shape about what Stortini did to Enstrom If he had tried to do it to.... say Oduya... would you still be bent out of shape?
It'll get more publicity or talk (if you will) because it was Enstrom, but the fact of the matter is for me, I wouldn't care if it was any player on our roster. What Stortini did was take a pretty damn good run at a player on our team and I would certainly expect (preseason or regular season) someone to do exactly what Bodie did. You always come to the aid of your teammates on a questionable run like that, in my opinion. No questions asked.

I will say that I am certainly of the mindset that you do not need to drop the gloves after EVERY big hit, but that was a run I consider enough to stand up and fight for, or come to the aid of the player who was run. You have to send the message that our team will not tolerate being run at like that. And I will say the same thing I said last night, I'd bet if Ladd were on the ice, especially as the Captain, but more so with who he is and how he plays the game, his gloves would have come off and he would have done his best to have a go at Stortini.

In my opinion, you never, ever let runs like that get off free - ever. You do that, and your team will get run out of the building because the opposing team knows damn well nothing is going to be done about it. Especially when that team has two players who are notorious for questionable hits/questionable antics - Stortini and Tootoo.

That however is just my opinion and view on that topic. Did Bodie go a touch too far in getting the double minor and extra 2 minutes? Ya, likely. But it was in the heat of the moment and he was doing what I personally think any teammate worth a damn would have done after one of our players, any player, got run at.

__________________
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43225&dateline=143887  3545 verified LNGE Contributor

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-25-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:39 AM
  #46
tacogeoff
Registered User
 
tacogeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,981
vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Question:

You all you that are bent out of shape about what Stortini did to Enstrom If he had tried to do it to.... say Oduya... would you still be bent out of shape?
It was going to be a clean hit. Enstrom turned his back to Stortini at the very last moment. No one should of went after Stortini, he drew a penalty and helped the Preds turn the game around on us.

I could see if Enstrom was sprawled out on the ice in pain, then that warrents a response. Fact of the matter was Enstrom avoided a clean hit. Was it a run...maybe in some people's eyes, I thought it was fair game, It would of been like Buffs hit on Calvert.


Last edited by tacogeoff: 09-25-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: after thought.
tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:44 AM
  #47
Jet
Moderator
Spoiled Rotten
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,605
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Question:

You all you that are bent out of shape about what Stortini did to Enstrom If he had tried to do it to.... say Oduya... would you still be bent out of shape?
Absolutely yes. It is accented because it was on our best player, but I would have still been furious.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
  #48
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,796
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
It was a good hit by Stortini, it pains me to say. He glided into Enstrom, no charging or anything. I can get a video if you want to watch it again.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
  #49
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
It'll get more publicity or talk (if you will) because it was Enstrom, but the fact of the matter is for me, I wouldn't care if it was any player on our roster. What Stortini did was take a pretty damn good run at a player on our team and I would certainly expect (preseason or regular season) someone to do exactly what Bodie did. You always come to the aid of your teammates on a questionable run like that, in my opinion. No questions asked.

I will say that I am certainly of the mindset that you do not need to drop the gloves after EVERY big hit, but that was a run I consider enough to stand up and fight for, or come to the aid of the player who was run. You have to send the message that our team will not tolerate being run at like that. And I will say the same thing I said last night, I'd bet if Ladd were on the ice, especially as the Captain, but more so with who he is and how he plays the game, his gloves would have come off and he would have done his best to have a go at Stortini.

In my opinion, you never, ever let runs like that get off free - ever. You do that, and your team will get run out of the building because the opposing team knows damn well nothing is going to be done about it. Especially when that team has two players who are notorious for questionable hits/questionable antics - Stortini and Tootoo.

That however is just my opinion and view on that topic. Did Bodie go a touch too far in getting the double minor and extra 2 minutes? Ya, likely. But it was in the heat of the moment and he was doing what I personally think any teammate worth a damn would have done after one of our players, any player, got run at.
100% agree. I am happy he did it because it was pre-season. Had he done it in the regular season I would be less thrilled, but ultimately a win or a loss means nothing. Stepping up and protecting a teammates set the tone alot longer than people will be thinking about this loss. I'm sure Bodie was not yelled at by Noel, but given the classic nod of approval (while still pretending to be disappointed in the result of the penatly kill).

Two thumbs up for Bodie in the Pre-season
1 thumb up for Bodie in the regular season.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:50 AM
  #50
Paradise
Individual thinker
 
Paradise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Waiverpeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Question:

You all you that are bent out of shape about what Stortini did to Enstrom If he had tried to do it to.... say Oduya... would you still be bent out of shape?
Let's put it this way, I would of been upset it one of our players had done it also. There's no room for that type of behavior in the game. This is someones life and living, they don't deserve to be injured due to someone recklessness. On a side note, all players need to be responsible for knowing their own workplace environment.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.