I'm gonna be that guy...

That says steo will still score 30 and Heaters 40+ goals

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:12 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
That's on the outside of the range, but not ludicrous. I'm more excited about how Koivu is ranked on the "best centers" lists after this year with real first line wingers. If he does as well as I think he will, he'll certainly move up the list and that will just point out the fact that these lists are nonsensical--Koivu is playing the same yet we were "overrating" him while he was here putting up only respectable numbers. Scoring more points because of your linemates makes that Center more valuable? Its a stupid argument. Guys would be all over the map on that list if you started messing with line combinations.

Never been as huge a Koivu fanboy as a lot of wild fans but the talks of him being overpaid for his production after this last contract thing really made me focus on peoples perception of him. He's going to produce $7 million dollar numbers this year, and it isn't because he suddenly turned a corner and became a better player.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
I don't see Heater at 40 goals. Setoguchi potting 30 isn't outrageous. If the Latendresse/Bouchard line can keep enough pressure up, I think Seto will hit 30, and will lead the team in goals. The nicest thing about Heater is that he can shoot or pass. Think about what Bouchard has shown this preseason. He's been willing to put the puck on net instead of just passing it off all the time. That's forcing opponents to respect the fact that he will shoot if you give him something to shoot at, which makes the pass a little easier to make. With Heater, he can tee it up or dish it off. It makes the line much more unpredictable, which should help them score. They've shown tremendous chemistry so far, if the can get their timing down Koivu should crack that point per game barrier (I'd say 90 points if he plays all 82 games), Seto should pot around 30-35, and Heater around 30. If what they've shown so far in the preseason is all the better they are, Koivu should float right below ppg with Seto at about 25-30 and Heater around 25.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Dampland

If the Wild can get a combined 65 goals between Seto & Heater, I would consider that more than satisfactory. Anything more would be gravy.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 01:57 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

That sounds like a reasonable benchmark to me. Wouldn't be horribly upset with 30 a piece either.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:38 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
If what they've shown so far in the preseason is all the better they are, Koivu should float right below ppg with Seto at about 25-30 and Heater around 25.
So you're saying if they play how they did in the preseason throughout a full season, they'll only score 25 goals?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think if they combine for 60 that would be great from my perspective. Especially if that means Mikko sees a bit of a jump in his numbers as well.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns4Norris View Post
So you're saying if they play how they did in the preseason throughout a full season, they'll only score 25 goals?
Remember, they weren't exactly playing against top competition so far in the preseason. If they can manage to look like that against a real team (yes, CBJ had their top line, and their top d-pair, but still half the roster were non-NHLers), I'd consider that to be an improvement over the preseason. I'm still estimating 50-55 goals from the two of them. Koivu should pot at least 20 as well, bringing that total up to 75 from the three of them. Compare that to the 51 the top line potted last year. I'm expecting top line goal scoring to increase by 50%, even with how much that line improved, that's still a ton.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Bookman

vCash: 728
I like Heatley for 40

Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Vashanesh
Playoffs? Playoffs!

I've got my money on 27-29 goals, 55+ pts for Seto, 33-35 goals, ~pt/g for Heater and 24-26 goals and 85+ pts for Koivu. Assume they all stay healthy.

Koivu will shoot a bit more with Heater drawing defenders and angles and Seto shooting and getting juicy rebounds.

/homer glasses

Honestly, If the line ends up with ~75 goals, I'll be beyond ecstatic.

Vashanesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I honestly think Seto puts up 30, Heatley closer to 40 than to 30, Koivu 25.

Heatley had a bad wrist injury last year. Go ahead and try and shoot a puck with an injured hand...doesn't work. Aside from last year, he's been a reliable 40 goal guy. I can't see him just dropping off the map.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I just can't see the line, even with how much they've improved, going from 51 goals to nearly 100. Double the production is a tall order, and I can't see it happening. I really see Seto settling in and gaining a little bit of consistency when he has Koivu feeding him, and Heater taking the focus of the defense. I fully expect him to pot more goals than Heatley, though Heater will likely put up more total points.

Old
09-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
I just can't see the line, even with how much they've improved, going from 51 goals to nearly 100. Double the production is a tall order, and I can't see it happening. I really see Seto settling in and gaining a little bit of consistency when he has Koivu feeding him, and Heater taking the focus of the defense. I fully expect him to pot more goals than Heatley, though Heater will likely put up more total points.
Its 2/3 different line than the previous one, so I don't really see your point.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:22 PM
EkiE

It's interesting to see if Koivu really is PPG guy now that he has legit wingers to play with, no excuses this season.

Setoguchi and Heatley played with solid offensive players and I don't expect them to put much more points than they did last season, but Koivu played with KHL winger and and 3rd liner last year. So, if he is top15 center that ppl believe him to be Im expecting nothing less than 80+ points in 75+ games.

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:28 PM
Caior89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I honestly think Seto puts up 30, Heatley closer to 40 than to 30, Koivu 25.

Heatley had a bad wrist injury last year. Go ahead and try and shoot a puck with an injured hand...doesn't work. Aside from last year, he's been a reliable 40 goal guy. I can't see him just dropping off the map.
I just injured my wrist this Saturday and tried to play Sunday and i have to say its a hell of a pain every time you dangle our shot.

About Heatley, we only saw one "game" so far, but from what i see i dont think that he is slowing down anytime soon. He is a very underrated playmaker by the way.

Overall, I will be just happy, if we end running out of crows.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

At the very least, if Heatley stays healthy he will be one of the feel-good stories of the year.*

*Or as feel-good as his reputation allows

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
Its 2/3 different line than the previous one, so I don't really see your point.
It's 2/3 different, but the other lines haven't changed as much, the puck moving on the D got worse, and the system we'll be playing got a little less offensively minded. The other point to make is, people are saying "oh this line is way better, they won't only score 75 goals." That many goals is still 50% better than last year. That's a huge improvement. Remember, the original comment this is stemming from was an expectation that they score 75 goals if they don't improve upon their chemistry from the preseason. Those mis-timings and slightly off passes aren't going to cut it so well during a real game. Those bounces won't all go their way over the course of a whole season either. If they can all get on the same page with their timing (as it seems they're already gelling insofar as positioning is concerned) I'm expecting 80-90 goals from them.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It ain't the team, it's the players. Seto is on the way up, Heater is on the way down, but that doesn't mean 26 is his ceiling.

And 80-90 goals is not far from what we're talking about:

Koivu - 25
Seto - 30
Heatley - 35
Total = 90

I don't think that's way off base. And even though we're Minnesota fans, it doesn't mean we won't have lucky surprises either.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:35 PM
nickschultzfan

I am so dang pumped for Heatley-Koivu-Seto. I hope Wild fans give Heatley and Setoguchi much love this year and make these guys want to make Minnesota their permanent home. This line could be HUGE for the Wild. Just huge.

Not only would could it give the Wild on-ice credit around the league, but it could give the Wild free agency credit as well. The Wild have a reputation of killing offensive players, so it would go a long way to debunk this myth. A 1st line of 70+ point players will do that.

If these guys produce, all of a sudden, we would have a great chance of bring in Parise to play with Granlund and Bouchard, or a Dman like Suter.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:27 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I am so dang pumped for Heatley-Koivu-Seto. I hope Wild fans give Heatley and Setoguchi much love this year and make these guys want to make Minnesota their permanent home. This line could be HUGE for the Wild. Just huge.

Not only would could it give the Wild on-ice credit around the league, but it could give the Wild free agency credit as well. The Wild have a reputation of killing offensive players, so it would go a long way to debunk this myth. A 1st line of 70+ point players will do that.

If these guys produce, all of a sudden, we would have a great chance of bring in Parise to play with Granlund and Bouchard, or a Dman like Suter.
You're getting my hopes up. Quick! Someone crush them now so they don't make me too hopeful!

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:43 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
You're getting my hopes up. Quick! Someone crush them now so they don't make me too hopeful!
Two words: Death Period.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:04 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Two words: Death Period.
Phew, there we go, back to tempered expectations.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:27 PM
nickschultzfan

haha.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
MNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I'm more excited about how Koivu is ranked on the "best centers" lists after this year with real first line wingers. If he does as well as I think he will, he'll certainly move up the list and that will just point out the fact that these lists are nonsensical--Koivu is playing the same yet we were "overrating" him while he was here putting up only respectable numbers. .
Can this season move him up to Datsyuk status as one of the best 2-way Center's in the game?

MNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I wouldn't be surprised if Koivu pots 30ish this year. Heatley and Seto on the same line are going to open things up for him far more than Bruno and Plexinan ever did.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote