HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Lander? Can he cracks the line up?

Old
09-26-2011, 05:04 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
Anton Lander? Can he cracks the line up?

Hello Oilers fans, i followed Lander while he was playing in SEL, i thought he looked great in pre-season game , i know a lot of youngster are knocking on the door of the Oilers, but does he have a true chance to land a spot with the big team? Thanks.

Last edited by Komarov47: 09-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Hello Oilers fans, i followed Lander while he was playing in SEL, i thought in pre-season game and thought he looked great, i know a lot of youngster are knocking on the door of the Oilers, but does he have a true chance to land a spot with the big team? Thanks.
Extremely strong competition... it will be tight. From a Swedish point of view I for sure hope so but realisticaly no, at least not from the beginning. It will also depend on Edmonton's start the first 10 games or so (hopefully very good). If they loose or get injuries Lander may get a chance earlier than expected.

Renney is the careful, conservative type I believe.

The Edmonton Oilers are starting to look very strong, any SEL team would fight for a young talanted center like Lander offering him a top contract by SEL standards. In Sweden he had great leadership skills for being young but I guess it will take some years adjusting to new culture and language.

Last edited by 21: 09-26-2011 at 06:02 AM.
21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Soundwave

I'm going to say no, but I think some time in the AHL will do Lander some good.

He'll get his chance on the Oilers sooner or later though. He should be a full-time Oiler come camp next year at the latest IMO. The Oilers like him a lot and I think he is going to be a solid part of the Oilers future ... just needs a little more polish with the North American game and he'll get that playing in the AHL for now.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 05:54 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
I thinking starting in the AHL is a good thing for 40 to 50 games so he can get used to north american style of play

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Mr Sakich

it wouldn't bother me if they sent Brule to the AHL to find his game (instead of Lander).

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:44 AM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
it wouldn't bother me if they sent Brule to the AHL to find his game (instead of Lander).
Based on their play i would take Lander over Brule in a nanosecond at this point. He's been better by far, and would be a great fit as a 4th line C.

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:43 AM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

I have been very impressed with Lander this year. I'd like to see him play a few regular season games but I think it would be best for him to play in the AHL for now. For a guy who is expected to be a 3C, I think he has shown glimpses of 1st line potential.

The only knock I have heard is that he is not as physical as they would like him to be for a guy of that size.

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:08 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Based on their play i would take Lander over Brule in a nanosecond at this point. He's been better by far, and would be a great fit as a 4th line C.
Agreed. I'd happily take Lander over a seemingly still-lost Brule.

But Lander has bigger issues at hand than overtaking Brule for a spot.

Posters toss around top-12 forward spots like they're going out of style - no one really knows where Renney's head is at so we can't accurately assume the roster.

But here goes :

Centres - Horcoff, Gagner, Belanger, RNH

Short of a deal being made, Horcoff and Gagner are clear locks. Belanger's won something like 65% of his face offs to date in pre-season, which is precisely the reason we brought him in. And at this point, I don't see RNH not making the team. Lander's a natural C, so on the above already, he's in tough.

Forwards - Smyth, MPS, Hall, Eager, Eberle, Hemsky, Omark, Hartikainen

It's not all about the Swedes, y'know. Toss in the Finn, who Renney seems to have a pretty soft spot for. Again, short of a Hemsky deal, these wings seem a near lock to me once Big Ben's head clears.

Now... 2 forwards will make the team to round out the roster of 23. My assumption is that Hordichuk will spell Eager every now and then, so he'll be one. Brule's also shown that he can play wing - that might give him the advantage over Lander for the final spot.

Assuming the personnel remains the same, at this point if I'm in Vegas and looking to put some money down, the smart answer to the OP's question?:

No. Right now, the numbers aren't in his favour. Let him play out the first few months in the 'A' and wait to be a call up due to either injury, or a deal that opens a C roster spot if we aren't firing on all cylinders.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
iddmitch

I think Lander will start the season with the big club, reason being is that with Gagner injured and Brule playing brutal (did he have 3 or 4 penalties last night?). There is no reason why Lander cant land a spot with the Oil to start the year.

iddmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Cold Dome Beers
yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post

Forwards - Smyth, MPS, Hall, Eager, Eberle, Hemsky, Omark, Hartikainen
Don't forget Jones is a lock as well, and it looks like Hartikainen will spend more time in OKC, which isn't a knock on him, it just demonstrated how deep our forwards are. Besides, it'd be nice to have some call-ups that can legitimately play and aren't just here to try on an Oilers uniform again.

Cold Dome Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Bangers

I don't think he can cracks the lineup.

He will probably goes down to plays for Oklahoma.

Hopefully later Edmonton will calls him up to play for the team and he will impresses.

Then he will turns into a superstar.

Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:32 AM
zeus3007*

Unless Gagner's injury keeps him out for opening day, I would bet money that Lander doesn't crack the lineup, despite his awesome camp. This isn't to say he's not good enough, I just think the Oilers would prefer to move the younger guys slowly if possible, and a year in the AHL (or up and down with injuries) won't hurt his development. It might even help. Lander, Hamilton and Pitlick all in Oklahoma this year should make for a strong AHL team too. Plus, I don't see the Oilers trading Horcoff, Belanger or Gagner, or sending Nugent-Hopkins to Red Deer, so there really isn't room.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Aerchon

After watching the yong stars I thought he was a shoe in to start in Edmonton. He hasnt shown he can raise his level in preseason as much as I thought he would. He needs a couple big games to get a chance to start in Edmonton.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
the word*

I expect to see him get some games in the NHL this year. Lander prides himself on work effort and a two way game. Tambo sure raves about him. Glowing endorsements from the GM are a decent indication of a player's development.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Despite not being an overly physical player, I see a lot of Mike Richards in Lander. The complete game combined with decent skill. Mike Richards lite I guess. And as ready as he may be, he's still young and I think some time in the A will do him wonders long term. There's just no room on the roster for him at the moment.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Despite not being an overly physical player, I see a lot of Mike Richards in Lander. The complete game combined with decent skill. Mike Richards lite I guess. And as ready as he may be, he's still young and I think some time in the A will do him wonders long term. There's just no room on the roster for him at the moment.
How do you figure this?

Gagner could be hurt and who knows for how long....but...the far bigger hole for Lander to fill is the one Brule has dug for himself.

We can debate who among the candidates is best suited to get a job. There isn't much doubt about a vacancy...or an opportunity at least.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
How do you figure this?

Gagner could be hurt and who knows for how long....but...the far bigger hole for Lander to fill is the one Brule has dug for himself.

We can debate who among the candidates is best suited to get a job. There isn't much doubt about a vacancy...or an opportunity at least.
Pretty much with Gagner injured and if he isn't able to play opening day I say the Oilers will probably keep Brule as the 14th forward and have RNH center the 2nd line and keep Lander to center the 4th line whether its Jones and Hordichuk or Jones and Eager.

Or hell if they dislike Brule completely he may get waived.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Pretty much with Gagner injured and if he isn't able to play opening day I say the Oilers will probably keep Brule as the 14th forward and have RNH center the 2nd line and keep Lander to center the 4th line whether its Jones and Hordichuk or Jones and Eager.

Or hell if they dislike Brule completely he may get waived.
The only reason not to waive Brule is out of pure pity. Because nobody can deny he's had some bad luck. Even people like myself who don't beleive in luck...can't deny Brule had bad luck being hurt as often as he was.

But he's also been here a few years now and failed to ever put together a body of work to protect his standing on the depth chart. Brule was one of the first players Pat Quinn reached out to. The Oilers have tried Brule with every possible combination of wingers and time after time the same returns....occasional flashes of decent-ness....mirrored by awful-ness...with NO visible progress and really nothing telling me he is a good 'team guy' either. I don't recall a time ever seeing him smile?

Its stacked against him, if you ask me.

Especially with how we've added Hordy and Eager (and possibly Harty) to the depth...which might even make Brules' physicality redundant at this point?

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Billy Barou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
I have been very impressed with Lander this year. I'd like to see him play a few regular season games but I think it would be best for him to play in the AHL for now. For a guy who is expected to be a 3C, I think he has shown glimpses of 1st line potential.

The only knock I have heard is that he is not as physical as they would like him to be for a guy of that size.
Last year it was his skating that wasn't good enough... now look at him. Lander will take a weak part of his game and make it a strength. He has the intensity, I have no doubt he will develop the physical side of his game.

Billy Barou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
How do you figure this?

I think with Gagner in, Brule's poor play is irrelevant (he's maybe the healthy scratch, but I definitely think that RNH will be on the roster getting decent minutes).

Lander may see some NHL time early due to Gagner's injury, however.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
OilerBoy888*

He won't make it. He's going to get sent down due to illegal processes of elimination. The word is Nepotism.

OilerBoy888* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:14 PM
SChan*

is it wrong to think that lander will surpass mps?

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
OilerBob
The Youth Movement

Quote:
I agree fully. Brule is done in my opinion, and Lander looks so damn good with MPS and Omark

OilerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post

But he's very gritty and powerfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite2 View Post
MPS is more gifted and skilled than Lander. Magnus is a true scorer, not Lander.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbite2 View Post
They are not the same type of player, so... ?????

Lander would be much better off in the OKC with lots of PT, with couple of games here and there with the big club.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote