HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brad Boyes suspended two pre-season games for head check

Old
09-26-2011, 06:48 AM
FilthyNote*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
A perfect analogy, btw, would be all the hooking/holding calls post-lockout. The NHL wanted to get rid of all these little hooks and holds that were slowing the game down, at first this meant TONNES of penalties because guys were so used to playing the old way, but eventually players changed their games and simply learned to not hook and hold so much. The same thing will happen with hits to the head, with time.
I don't disagree with your point here I just wanted to comment that it's kind of funny how the NHL want's to speed the game up yet they want more penalties called.

On the Boyes hit: Thats redunkulous! Yes... redunkulous! THAT is a suspension? You gotta be kidding me! Worst part is that Shanny even says he agrees that it wasn't intentional. I am not saying this will start happening but that gives guys the OK to skate with their head down and be untouchable.

Ok, not really untouchable but this is a pretty weak call. Boyes is just a casualty of Shanny making the point that nobody is safe no matter what your history. Which is sad because now Boyes is a "repeat offender" if he does it again.

AKA if Boyes plays hockey like he is supposed to he could get suspended.

I mean really? ... Brad Boyes? The guy is softer than a freshly griddled flap-jack.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeybaseballtalk View Post
Thank goodness Coulborne is ok. He's already had a concussion in his career.
Unfortunately it won't be his last if he keeps playing like that.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:00 AM
disrespectful

Wow, that sure was a reckless play, by Colborne.

disrespectful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:07 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
It's two pre-season games, meaning Boyes loses nothing financially.

This was about sending the message of "we're watching everything"

hatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:49 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
It's a slap on the finger though (not even a slap on the wrist). Especially since Boyes is one of the guys you least expect to deliver a hit to the head, the chances are small that he would be a repeat offender anyways.

But if the point of the suspension is to show other players they are serious, they fail on that account by not giving a serious punishment.
So you think THAT hit was supposed to draw a 3+ game suspension? Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote
Boyes is just a casualty of Shanny making the point that nobody is safe no matter what your history. Which is sad because now Boyes is a "repeat offender" if he does it again.
Simple solution: Don't do it again.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Sureves

Here's the thing: the 2 pre-season game suspension means nothing - sure he's a repeat offender but Boyes throws 6 hits a year anyways so I can't imagine this is much of an issue.

That being said, I see where Shanny is coming from based on the interpretation of the rulebook. That being said, and what many "headshot advocates" have said for years now, is that there has to be some responsibility on the player to keep your head up and not put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Colborne did exactly that. It was a reckless play by Colborne; not Boyes.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 375
Good suspension.
Got off easy as a first time offender.

Next time 5+

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:10 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagedfightsrule View Post
It's not a slap on the wrist though. It's nothing. Pre-season games don't mean anything to Brad Boyes and he doesn't lose any money by getting suspended from the pre-season. In other words, Boyes wasn't reprimanded.
yes he does lose money... players are paid starting from the first day of training camp..

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:22 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

I'm happy they're putting their money where their mouth is. Hit to the head = suspension. Sure, some might say it is a hockey play and Colbourne needs to have his chin up, but hits to the head have to end, concussions have to end. But unless a player puts himself in a dangerous and vulnerable position, hit to the head = suspension.

In this case, it is pretty clear that he just turned into the incoming reckless hit. Not really Boyes fault, but players have to adjust and play to check the body and not the head.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:28 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
yes he does lose money... players are paid starting from the first day of training camp..
That's not accurate:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBA Article 18.3(b)
For the purpose of calculating salary lost due to suspension, the following formula will apply:
(i) for first offenders...Player to forfeit one (1) day's Paragraph 1 NHL Salary and Bonuses, but not including Performance Bonuses, for each Regular Season Game lost (1/total number of days in the Regular Season measured from the date of the League's first Regular Season Game to the last, irrespective of the Player's team's schedule);
[emphasis added by me]
Brad Boyes is suspended for 0 regular season games thus loses no money.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:30 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureves View Post
Here's the thing: the 2 pre-season game suspension means nothing - sure he's a repeat offender but Boyes throws 6 hits a year anyways so I can't imagine this is much of an issue.

That being said, I see where Shanny is coming from based on the interpretation of the rulebook. That being said, and what many "headshot advocates" have said for years now, is that there has to be some responsibility on the player to keep your head up and not put yourself in a vulnerable position.

Colborne did exactly that. It was a reckless play by Colborne; not Boyes.
Sure it might not have been a great idea by Colborne, but he's standing in front of his own net, it's not like he's skating through the middle with Scott Stevens on the ice.

Might not be the best idea he's ever had, but it's far from a "reckless" play

Old
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
eggy2486
Hitman #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilthyNote View Post
I am not saying this will start happening but that gives guys the OK to skate with their head down and be untouchable.
I'll say it, it's going to start happening. IMO it's already started, a lot of the head hits that I've seen are either from guys keeping their heads down when they have the puck or just from bonehead plays. I know concussion is the new dirty word but they bring it on themselves when they do that, also if they cant see a guy coming right in front of them, how can they see where their teammates are.

eggy2486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Vote for Rory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Colborne literally skated head first into Boyes' shoulder. If you're gonna be that stupid, you deserve to get hit in the head.
That is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Good suspension, get head hits out of the game.

Vote for Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:07 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
The NHL wheel of justice?
Apparently. The Armstrong hit was much worse than the Boyes one and could've ended a lot worse.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:27 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

I don't really have a problem with Boyes being suspended.

I do have a problem with Armstrong not being suspended when his hit was even more dangerous.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I don't agree with a suspension at all.

Colborne was squating, facing Boyes, and a sholder hits him in the head. If Colborne was standing up, It would have been clean. Theres no way Boyes intended to hit him in the head eather.

If this is a suspension, Nathan Gerbe can do whatever he want's this season because if someone hits him, they will get a suspension. Theres no way to him a player that short, or someone leaning will get hit, without a bit of head contact.
Colborne was squatting becuase he was turn with the puck, how many players turn with the puck standing up straight. Shanahan pretty much laid it out that the onus was on Brad Boyes to not hit Colborne in the head. Shanahan also stated that he believed Boyes when he said it was not his intention. But the fact is he still hit Colborne in the head.

This is what I love about the videos Shanahan is doing, he explains it very well as to what was illegal about the hit and what factors he took in to consideration for the suspension.

Last edited by Loosie: 09-26-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 984
Boyes gonna Boyes

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
That's not accurate:

[emphasis added by me]
Brad Boyes is suspended for 0 regular season games thus loses no money.
interesting so he gets paid during the preseason but suspensions do not affect salary...

edit. was way off...

Last edited by sweatypickle: 09-26-2011 at 01:13 PM.
sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:23 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
interesting so he gets paid during the preseason but suspensions do not affect salary...

edit. i'll look it up in a bit but since players are paid based on 275 days of work, not per game, Jody Shelleys $67,073.15 loss of salary would imply preseason suspension do result in a player losing salary.
It's because Shelley is a repeat offender.

First time offenders lose 1 days pay, repeat offenders lose 1 games pay.

This year 1 day = 1/185th of their yearly salary (excluding performance bonuses)
1 game = 1/82nd of their yearly salary (excluding performance bonuses)

Shelley, as a repeat offender, loses 5 * 1/82 of his 1.1M average salary = 67,073.17

Likely the $.02 comes from rounding issues.

Note that it uses average salary, not current year salary which makes for an interesting case if a player on a heavily back loaded contract gets a lengthy suspension at the end of the deal as a repeat offender. Lets say that Brad Richards get suspended for 15 games in 2018-2019 as a repeat offender (pretend he got suspended for 1 game a year earlier). 15 games would cost him 15/82 * 6.667M = 1.22M however his entire years salary would only be $1M at that point.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Bocephus86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
It's two pre-season games, meaning Boyes loses nothing financially.

This was about sending the message of "we're watching everything"
I think this hits the nail on the head, which is why im quoting it. This is a warning that is really no true punishment just to make everyone aware suspensions WILL be handed out this season for head shots consistently.

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
I think this hits the nail on the head, which is why im quoting it. This is a warning that is really no true punishment just to make everyone aware suspensions WILL be handed out this season for head shots consistently.
It's also a case where it was an inconsequential play (no penalty, no injury, no play stoppage, players didn't even seem to notice). If there wasn't a suspension for this no one on these forums would even have known the hit happened and those who did would have barely remembered it happened.

It's clear that Shanny does not operate under a "no harm, no foul" mentality. Which is very refreshing to see.