HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Buffalo Bills Regular Season (4-1)

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mergus merganser View Post
Why not?

How much do we really know about him? His accuracy is greatly improved and he has learned to fit the ball into some incredibly tight windows. Not only that, but the guy can read defenses and get rid of the ball in a hurry. Those are all traits that make a great QB.

How about we give him a FULL year as the starter before we say what he is or isn't?

He's on pace for 4,485 yards, 48 td's, and only 16 INT's. Will he get those numbers? Most likely not, but if he throws for 3,800 yards, 38-40 TD's, and under 20 INT's, how do you not classify him as a super bowl caliber QB?

Jury is still definitely out on him. (By the way, I am not saying this team is going anywhere near the super bowl, just playing out a scenario)
I don't see any reason he couldn't lead the Bills to a superbowl. Mentally and physically he reminds me of Joe Montana who managed to have some success. Montana wasn't expected to be more than an NFL backup. Same with Tom Brady. Kurt Warner came out of nowhere to lead the Rams to a superbowl. I think he was about the same age as Fitz.

Old
09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I said this elsewhere yesterday: 1.) Nix has changed the physical make-up of this team and 2.) Gailey has changed its mental make-up.

1. Still a work in progress, but this team is bigger, stronger, and more athletic than any Bills team in a long time. It's helping them at the line of scrimmage even where their player may not be the superior one in a given match-up. It's definitely helping the units collectively where whatever talent they do have + that size allows them to be effective when playing cohesively and with a solid gameplan. Nix still needs to add talent to the pass rushing, to the secondary, and ideally find one dominating piece for the offensive line, but it's clear he has a plan and it's going well.

2. This just explains itself. Though I'm sure lots of specific players deserve credit as leaders for instilling messages, and all players for buying into the messages, Gailey needs to be recognized here. This team believes in itself. It plays under pressure. It plays hard til the end of the game. There's no sense of doom when things aren't going well and that clearly is picked up by the fans. You think the crowd would have stuck with the team after 21-0 in previous seasons? Perhaps to an extent, but this crowd was QUICK to get right back into it when the Bills tacked together some positive drives to end the 1st half.

No one is saying this team is actually the best in the division, but it's clear they're a threat to win any game. They've put themselves in a great position to compete for the division or a wildcard spot. So long as they compete every game like they have so far, I'll be happy with the results. If the season doesn't expose them too much, the next offseason could provide an opportunity to augment the team into legit contenders. Look how Merriman helped convince some quality vets to come in here (Barnett, Morrison). Now there's some on-field recruiting to back that up. If they can have a good draft and bring in a couple impact players, look out.

Resign Fitz, Fred, Stevie PLEASE. There's no doubt they want Stevie longterm. The other two I suppose we can't be sure of.

I say there's little risk in singing Fitz to multiple years. They can still draft a young QB and groom him. From there, when the kid's ready, they can either move Fitz, have Fitz be back-up, or move the young QB. It's not like having Fitz under contract handcuffs the team regarding a future QB, while right now he looks like a guy you CAN build around and at the very least is clearly the best QB they will have a chance at having for the next few years.

Similarly, I want Fred for multiple years. I don't care about his age. It's not like he'll get Peterson money. I have no doubt that Fred can be a quality contributor even when he wears down. This guy can do it all on the field and there's no reason he can't be utilized in subpackages, as a 3rd down/blocking back, as a receiving threat, as a special teamer. Keep him here, for the love of god.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

just watched the Florence pick-six again on MNF's "Fastest 3 Minutes".... it looks like Brady completely gave up on the play... if he hustled he may have been able to knock Florence out of bounds and prevent him from getting the TD.

Old
09-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
just watched the Florence pick-six again on MNF's "Fastest 3 Minutes".... it looks like Brady completely gave up on the play... if he hustled he may have been able to knock Florence out of bounds and prevent him from getting the TD.
Fitzy would have

Old
09-26-2011, 10:16 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
It looked like Byrd was going to block him but he noticed Brady wasn't even trying so he just ran next to Florence.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
It looked like Byrd was going to block him but he noticed Brady wasn't even trying so he just ran next to Florence.
Should have just ran up to him and shoved him to the ground anyways.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:32 PM
wheatkingsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
To what end? If he isn't going to try and make the play, why risk having the TD called back? This team has stopped taking those "feel-good" type penalties. One of the ways they have matured.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:36 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Normally I'd be all for it but like the previous poster said, there's just nothing to gain from it. With how soft the league is getting no need to risk some BS penalty call.

Old
09-26-2011, 10:51 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatkingsm View Post
To what end? If he isn't going to try and make the play, why risk having the TD called back? This team has stopped taking those "feel-good" type penalties. One of the ways they have matured.
Agreed 100% If Brady makes an attempt at a tackle then Byrd drives him into the ground and knocks his lights out. However he quit on the play so leave him be and don't ricsk the penalty because everyone knows you would have seen about 6 yellow flags gurled into the air if Byrd laid a lick into him..

Old
09-26-2011, 11:48 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Brady didn't want to ruin his beautiful hair.

----

So before the season started, in response to "4 wins, over or under?", I stated "over, without question". I did not expect the Bills to possibly prove me right by week 5. DAMN.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:55 PM
sabresfan129103

This will be the 1st game of the season the Bills will be expected to win. It will be interesting to see how they react.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:23 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Well, if it's a legal block...

Yeah, that was just me talking purely as a fan who would have brought those goal posts down. Throw rationality out the window.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:54 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
This will be the 1st game of the season the Bills will be expected to win. It will be interesting to see how they react.
Actually, they were favored against Oakland as well. I don't know if you consider that "expected to win", but the Bills were the favorite.

But yeah, the Cincy game will likely have a much bigger spread.

EDIT: And I look it up, and it's not (yet). The Bills are only giving 3 points to the Bengals. They gave 3.5 to the Raiders when the line opened. I expect that line to gravitate closer to 5-6 points by kickoff Sunday.

Old
09-27-2011, 03:36 AM
thahamer

Old
09-27-2011, 08:29 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
Actually, they were favored against Oakland as well. I don't know if you consider that "expected to win", but the Bills were the favorite.

But yeah, the Cincy game will likely have a much bigger spread.

EDIT: And I look it up, and it's not (yet). The Bills are only giving 3 points to the Bengals. They gave 3.5 to the Raiders when the line opened. I expect that line to gravitate closer to 5-6 points by kickoff Sunday.
Yeah, Vegas is putting it low on purpose. It will definitely move a few points.

Old
09-27-2011, 08:54 AM
joshjull

Quote:
I would love to agree but watching Barnett's bonehead personal foul. I would say they still have a little ways to go on that.

Last edited by joshjull: 09-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old
09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I would love to agree but watching Barnett's bonehead personal foul. I would say they still have a little ways to go on that.
I'm not going to say it didn't deserve a penalty, but when I watched the play a few times, I don't think the Pats receiver (Welker/Woodhead/Edelman?) ever went down. I'm going to assume Barnett felt he was playing to the whistle and maybe didn't hear it.

The Byrd penalty is what bothered me. If the penalty was "leading with the helmet" or something like that, I can see the arguement. The "unneccessary contact with a defenseless player" call is just idiotic. The player just caught the ball in the middle of the field. I know the Pats get some calls, but are we not allowed to tackle anymore?

Last edited by joshjull: 09-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old
09-27-2011, 11:48 AM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Listening to Cowherd on Sirius ESPN, he's absolutely ripping the Bills apart. All mirrors, Raiders, Pats and 12+ other teams are better, including the Eagles. We dont have any star players and no talent, Fitzy is from Harvard and doesn't have an NFL arm, yada yada yada. If I wasn't at work Id call in and set him straight on a few things. He has been ranting about it for the past 20 minutes.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutus Liber View Post
Listening to Cowherd on Sirius ESPN, he's absolutely ripping the Bills apart. All mirrors, Raiders, Pats and 12+ other teams are better, including the Eagles. We dont have any star players and no talent, Fitzy is from Harvard and doesn't have an NFL arm, yada yada yada. If I wasn't at work Id call in and set him straight on a few things. He has been ranting about it for the past 20 minutes.

Old
09-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Fun fact of the day: Fitzpatrick is the least sacked QB in the league so far. He's been sacked once in three games.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Caption this?

Old
09-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
I read last week that Cowherd was fawning over the Bills, saying they'd beat the Patriots. So they beat the Patriots and now he's against them? I don't get it.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:18 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Cowherd's ego has applied for Statehood. If ratified, it would become the 7th largest State.

Haters gonna hate...

Old
09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
I read last week that Cowherd was fawning over the Bills, saying they'd beat the Patriots. So they beat the Patriots and now he's against them? I don't get it.
Woody Paige got absolutely torched on Around the Horn yesterday for predicting a Pats cake walk. Then he was given every opportunity to eat crow and came out calling the Bills win bogus, that they got lucky, that they are a "minor league team" (hence Oakland sucks too, because they lost to said minor league team)...

I'm not sure if part of it was him trying to play the villain or if he really thinks it...but it was still funny seeing everyone rip into him.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:40 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Pegula has the boys playing great.

Closed Thread