HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Off-Topic...All Season...Also....The OFFICIAL Philadelphia Eagles thread, V. 1.0

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2004, 11:47 PM
Nikkowar

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Off-Topic...All Season...Also....The OFFICIAL Philadelphia Eagles thread, V. 1.0

Is it too early to make one?

Anyway,so far,the Eagles haven't looked too bad. 1-1 in preseason. However,the main problem is injuries. And now with ND Kalu and Buckhalter out for the year...well...

GKJ,can you sticky this?

Old
08-21-2004, 02:14 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
whoa! I've been out of the loop, what happened to ND and Bucky??

and who the hell are the chicks in your avatar?

Old
08-21-2004, 08:02 AM
FearTheFlyers

Mcgahee wants out of Buffalo,Philly a possible destination?

Old
08-21-2004, 08:11 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
whoa! I've been out of the loop, what happened to ND and Bucky??

and who the hell are the chicks in your avatar?
Bucky tore his PCL last night. Kalu tore up his knee in practice. Rookie RB Perry done for the year too.

I don't know about the Eagles this year. Between a tougher division (harder to earn a 1st round bye), mounting injuries, a huge questionmark at CB and now a huge questionmark at RB, they will have a tough time even returning to the NFC Championship, let alone winning it.

Old
08-21-2004, 09:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
I am really not that concerned about the division. I think the Cowboys were a fluke, the Redskins still are overrated and still suck, and the Giants are terrible. Any less than 5-1 in the division is unnacceptable. (unless they win every other game )

As for the Sticky, let's rename it...

Old
08-21-2004, 09:45 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Mcgahee wants out of Buffalo,Philly a possible destination?
not for more than a couple picks and he wants to start and I would start Westbrook over McGahee right now. I think the Eagles will come out of the division, but they need to get that offense in gear, besides the TD pass to Owens and the nice play to Mitchell, the 1st team offense didn't look so good last night.

Old
08-21-2004, 10:07 AM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
If the Eagles don't aquire a another back either through trade of free agency, Westbrook is the guy your going to give them ball to around 25 times a game. That would be a good thing if he was more durable, but since he isn't someone else has to be brought in to get atleast 10 carries a game. Someone like James Stewert might be a good guy to plug in, and they're teams in the league that have very deep back fields and since the Eagles have an extra second round pick, a deal could be made to get a pretty good back, or they could trade a later pick. Of course thats only if the plan on trading for one. Or you could keep what you have in Westbrook, Mahee, and Mcoo. Maybe giving Ritchie some carries and the rookie Thomas Tapeh some too.

Old
08-21-2004, 10:12 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
the Redskins still are overrated and still suck,
we're in an eagles thread, the words overrated appear...and they're not describing the eagles??? The Eagles might, MIGHT eeek out the division, but there are much better teams in the NFC. Owens is a good reciever, no doubt, but if he doesn't get the ball enough, be ready. Kearse is a good pass rusher when he's healthy, but he's already had two injury scares this season. I think the Cowboys and Redskins are legit playoff threats, the Giants are a decent team if they pick a qb that plays well. Don't forget the fact that Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent are gone, a hard adjustment to make with two new corners.

Face it, in the NFL these days it's gonna be hard to win three division titles in a row, and I think the Redskins and Cowboys have finally caught up to them

Old
08-21-2004, 02:09 PM
JCD

Quote:
I am really not that concerned about the division. I think the Cowboys were a fluke, the Redskins still are overrated and still suck, and the Giants are terrible. Any less than 5-1 in the division is unnacceptable. (unless they win every other game )

Cowboys were a fluke, but they are a tough team regardless. Parcells is not an easy win, I wager you split.

Redskins are much better than their previous records indicate. They turned their biggest weakness (a moron coach) into a strength. Skins nearly rallied to win in Philly last year, they have added a ton of firepower and a HoF coach. Pencil in a split.

Only divisional opponent that is weak is the Giants. I think 4-2 is a more realistic divisional goal.

Old
08-21-2004, 03:23 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Cowboys were a fluke, but they are a tough team regardless. Parcells is not an easy win, I wager you split.

Redskins are much better than their previous records indicate. They turned their biggest weakness (a moron coach) into a strength. Skins nearly rallied to win in Philly last year, they have added a ton of firepower and a HoF coach. Pencil in a split.

Only divisional opponent that is weak is the Giants. I think 4-2 is a more realistic divisional goal.
Cowboys...fluke the first season, yes...but now they're used to the parcells system, his teams always start to shine in parcells' second season...no matter who starts they'll have a better qb than quincy carter, they have eddie george, who might not rush for 1,000 yards, but will contribute positively. They didn't lose anybody important, in fact they added former pro bowler DE marcellus wiley.

Any judgement based on last year's redskin team is idiotic...considering they added an experienced (...successful, hall of fame) coach, and one of the best running backs in the league. Toughened up on the d-line with Cornelius Griffin. Any team that can run the ball (which I'm now doubting the eagles will be able to) can be effective. The Redskins are going to have a great running game, Joe Gibbs has a great running offensive system

This Eagles team is not that good, they weren't even that good last year, only got into the NFC title game because the make-a-wish foundation paid Mike Sherman to throw the divisional game. Like I said, in this day's NFL it is hard to win three division titles in a row, and I think the rest of the division has caught up to the eagles,

Old
08-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
Quote:

Thanks,love

Old
08-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Flyers26

Eagles will struggle to win 10 games!!!

Hope all of the hospitals are stocked up on ace bandages & x-ray techs are well rested... tons of broken ankles, due to the masses hopping off the bandwagon!

Old
08-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
Philadelphia Eagles today sign Dorsey Levens, in an attempt to bolster their backfield. This coming after the season ending inury to Correll Buckhalter. Levens was on the Eagles in 02,then played for the Giants last year.

Old
08-22-2004, 06:18 PM
Mongoose

Send a message via AIM to Mongoose
OT: Eagles Sign Levens

Dorsey Levens also played for the birds in 2002.

Old
08-22-2004, 07:48 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
Cowboys...fluke the first season, yes...but now they're used to the parcells system, his teams always start to shine in parcells' second season...no matter who starts they'll have a better qb than quincy carter, they have eddie george, who might not rush for 1,000 yards, but will contribute positively. They didn't lose anybody important, in fact they added former pro bowler DE marcellus wiley.
Cowboys will be competitive, but I can't see them better than 10-6. And that is being quite optimistic IMO. They are a team that won't beat themselves and do what they did last year: work the clock and limit the oppositions big plays. They are just short of talent on both sides of the ball. Wiley is like George: more name than player. They will both contribute, but are not difference makers. Former Pro-Bowlers with the emphasis on former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 3
Any judgement based on last year's redskin team is idiotic...considering they added an experienced (...successful, hall of fame) coach, and one of the best running backs in the league. Toughened up on the d-line with Cornelius Griffin. Any team that can run the ball (which I'm now doubting the eagles will be able to) can be effective. The Redskins are going to have a great running game, Joe Gibbs has a great running offensive system
I think the Skins can push for a WC berth. However, they do have questions. Both lines look suspect. The defensive line is arguably the worst in the NFL. Their four starters are rotational material. It all starts on the lines. Gibbs will get the most from them, but they may not have much to offer.

Quote:
This Eagles team is not that good, they weren't even that good last year, only got into the NFC title game because the make-a-wish foundation paid Mike Sherman to throw the divisional game. Like I said, in this day's NFL it is hard to win three division titles in a row, and I think the rest of the division has caught up to the eagles,
Preaching to the choir. I was crucified for questioning their ability last year, surprise I have not heard more this year. I will say that the Eagles do have the potential to be better than last year. Biggest question mark is CB. If they make a quantum leap forward AND the team stays healthy AND Owens is happy AND Reid doesn't defeat himself, they can go the distance. That is a whole lot of if's. IMO, the CBs are a major weak link and the LBs are marginal (Trotter helps). They gave Johnson one new toy to play with in Kearse, but took away three others. If Kearse goes down, it could be downright ugly. Offense should be great. Will Reid open things up to take advantage? Who knows.

Old
08-22-2004, 07:56 PM
Dave Carlson

i realize its only half way through preseason, but the conerbacks have looked solid so far, so lets not be tooooo pessimistic about them. They are a question mark, but its not garunteed that they will suck, in fact they may end up being pretty good. If Dhani Jones plays well, i really don't see their linebackers being that weak, so you're going to have to be more specific in why you think the defense is going to suck

Old
08-22-2004, 07:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Signing Levens is good. He will be the #2 back. I think we all know Westbrook is not an every down back. It obviously wouldn't hurt for the Eagles to sign someone else.

Old
08-22-2004, 08:45 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Eagles will struggle to win 10 games!!!

Hope all of the hospitals are stocked up on ace bandages & x-ray techs are well rested... tons of broken ankles, due to the masses hopping off the bandwagon!
it is bound to happen to every team at some point,

dorsey levens...woo...was way past his prime when last with the birds in 2002. he's an ok complement to westbrook, will catch some passes, get some carries, not that much, the eagles are still screwed when it comes to a short yardage back.

Old
08-22-2004, 10:00 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Carlson
i realize its only half way through preseason, but the conerbacks have looked solid so far, so lets not be tooooo pessimistic about them. They are a question mark, but its not garunteed that they will suck, in fact they may end up being pretty good. If Dhani Jones plays well, i really don't see their linebackers being that weak, so you're going to have to be more specific in why you think the defense is going to suck
As long as Johnson is there, the defense will not suck. There is a difference between being good and sucking. That middle ground is where the Eagles are IMO.

Defensive line is very small. Two undersized DTs with two undersized upfield ends around them. Eagles have struggled badly against the run for years, this will not help the situation. Depth is better, but already being tested. Pass rush should be better, and if everyone can stay healthy, it should be excellent. That will help ease pressure on the CBs. This is easily the best phase of the defense.

LBs look weak. Simoneau is marginal and looks out of position in the middle. If he had some big bodied types keeping blockers, he could survive in the middle. He doesn't. He would be better on the outside. Trotter could replace him as the starter, aiding more beef to the front and a better playmaker (albeit a slower one). Wayne stinks, he is a back-up on most teams. Jones is a good weakside LB, but doesn't have the size to take on a TE in coverage or strength to take on a blocker. He is a certain downgrade from Emmons last year. In all, LBs look very undersized. Three weakside guys. I think this is a marginal unit whose small size is compounded by the small size of the DL in front of them. None of which have the height to cover a TE.

In a division with old school coaches like Coughlin, Parcells and Gibbs, if facing a small front like that doesn't scream "run at me", I don't know what does.

CB looks weak. Sheppard was picked on constantly last year. Teams through to his side of the field an inordinate amount. He gets burned often. I like Brown as a nickel back, as a starter though? He doesn't have the measurables or experience to match-up with top receivers. Eagles top-4 CBs have a combined total of 12 starts. In the one game that both Sheppard and Brown started together, their poor coverage nearly cost them the game. They have a lot to prove before they are considered anything more than a weak link.

Safety is a strength, but may not be able to be used to their max ability. Dawkins and Lewis are at their best roaming the field and blitzing. Not having a LB that can cover a TE or CBs that can cover 1-on-1 means they will have to be forced back into coverage more. You can't blitz unless you can man cover. Eagles don't have the personnel, so Johnson is either going to force things or change his style. Neither are good options.

In all, Johnson and the pass rush will keep the Eagles on the map. Their inability to stop the run and lack of talent at CB and LB will keep them out of the upper ranks. If the Eagles are to return to the NFC Championship, their offense will need to be the dominant unit for once.

Old
08-22-2004, 10:01 PM
JCD

Quote:
it is bound to happen to every team at some point,

dorsey levens...woo...was way past his prime when last with the birds in 2002. he's an ok complement to westbrook, will catch some passes, get some carries, not that much, the eagles are still screwed when it comes to a short yardage back.
I don't think their is much of a drop-off myself. That is more a comment on Buckhalter than it is Levens. Buckhalter was a 1-dimensional runner-only. And not a great one at that. What Levens lacks in strait-on power and speed, he more than makes up for in versatility and blocking IMO.

For short yardage, that Tapeh kid out of Minnesota could be a good fit.

Old
08-22-2004, 11:43 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
What Levens lacks in strait-on power and speed, he more than makes up for in versatility and blocking IMO.
and veteran leadership, im a big levens fan from his packer days...but his best years are looong gone, buckhalter was only one dimension, the only dimension the eagles needed to complement westbrook...short yardage power is important in close games

Old
08-26-2004, 07:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Nate Wayne carted off the field...

Old
08-26-2004, 08:28 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
and veteran leadership, im a big levens fan from his packer days...but his best years are looong gone, buckhalter was only one dimension, the only dimension the eagles needed to complement westbrook...short yardage power is important in close games
agreed. Levens has nothing left.

Old
08-26-2004, 09:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I really like Jeff Blake here. This way if McNabb goes down, we don't have someone coming in who doesn't have a damned clue what the hell is going on. He's won some games, and he's been around a LONG time...

Old
08-27-2004, 08:33 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Nate Wayne carted off the field...

I hear he is going to be fine but he might miss the 1st game

Closed Thread