Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
So, just I'm sure, this year's whipping boys are:

Antro
Bogo
Jones
Oduya

and I'd be willing to bet Wellwood will end up on the list soon

Seriously though, Lynk you could be right. However, it's his second preseason game, he's a vet (lots of them look like they are going through the motions) and a bunch of his friends died a few weeks ago, including his mentor Igor Korolev.

I know I am in the vast majority here, but I am rooting for Antropov and will still give him the benefit of the doubt for at least the first month of the regular season.

I have been known to defend my team's whipping boys though, so who knows
You missed Mason. But it's okay, because pucks have the tendency to miss him too.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:33 PM
KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
this is a question for our atlanta friends....is antropov better than he looks?.....i haven't watched him all that much in the past, but so far this year he looks like a big lumbering sloth out there....is that just his game?

his point production was down last year....is this a guy we should try and move?.....i guess the huge contract would make that tough.
Antropov has lost a step for sure since his hip surgery, but honestly, I think that's to be expected. Hip surgery is NEVER a minor surgery, and it's horribly invasive. He's got great hands, a great eye for a pass, but he can't keep up on the top two lines, and he's not tough enough for the 4th line. It's 3rd line or nothing for him at this point.

His salary helps the team stay over the cap, so there's really no reason to get rid of him. He's a good vet presence to have around. I think at this point he'll just play out his contract and be done.

Plus, when his contract is up, Wheeler, Little, Burmistrov, Cormier, Hainsey, Enstrom, and Bogosian are all up for contracts.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:35 PM
blues10

I'll cut Antropov a lot more slack than some of the others.

Bogo has been everything I expected. A smooth skating defenseman that makes very poor choices with and without the puck and often treats the puck like a hot potato instead of thinking before making a play. But like everyone says he has lots of upside if he had any hockey sense.

I could do without Stapleton and Jones.

Love the rest of the team but Mason needs to pick up his game.

Very excited to cheer this team on but I would expect a few surprises when the final roster is announced.

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

I absolutely am hoping he recovers and those are legitimate reasons he's looked the way he has. I was a big Antro fan when he came in because he was a top center on this team a few years back.

I am seriously hoping he returns to form, unfortunately he has whipping boy status until then.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:59 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
I would cut antro slack if his contract was half of what it is.
he would be a good 3 million player
he isnt a good 5.5 million player

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
For what it is worth Cap Geek has Antropov listed at $4,062,500

I really hope he starts showing some more jump!

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7

Old
09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
For what it is worth Cap Geek has Antropov listed at $4,062,500

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=7
Makes it better.... but not the greatest.
Thanks for the info

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:10 PM
puck stoppa

Id have no problem getting rid of Glass and putting Klingberg there. And Scheifele would look good as third line centre but he needs one more year in Barrie and a World Jrs stint.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
blues10

Quote:
Makes it better.... but not the greatest.
Thanks for the info
It would be nice if he was a UFA after this year but there are 2 years left on the deal.

I wonder if Danny Williams would be interested in a high priced player for the Ice Caps?

Old
09-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

vCash: 50
Quote:
It would be nice if he was a UFA after this year but there are 2 years left on the deal.

I wonder if Danny Williams would be interested in a high priced player for the Ice Caps?
I don't get this at all. Sure, if you are up against the cap or have a better option. But, as slow and uninspired as Antropov is, he is big, wins faceoffs and is an NHL veteran. Sending him to the minors would only make this team weaker.

09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Ward Cornell

I checked out the 'Canes site but there's no discussion happening there.
Just wondering if Ryan Murphy the Canes No1 pick played and how did he look?
(just hoping they send him back to Kitchener and he can play in the WJHC)

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Any idea on tommorows roster?

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:53 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Are people seriously suggesting trading or worse DEMOTING Antropov? Seriously? So you want who exactly to play top 6? Kyle ****ing Wellwood as a top 6er? Even our top prospects right now are very green (Scheifele) or not suited to a top 6 role (Cormier, Machacek, Maxwell, Klingberg for now). Antropov is a top 6 player, and like I have said and will continue to say his lack of speed will not be a big deal when actual systems are in place and he can showcase his smarts, playmaking and puck control to slow the game down to his pace and make plays. I do not think WPG will be all that close to playoffs, but if they want to have any shot at it Antropov will be a very big part of it.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:09 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I don't get this at all. Sure, if you are up against the cap or have a better option. But, as slow and uninspired as Antropov is, he is big, wins faceoffs and is an NHL veteran. Sending him to the minors would only make this team weaker.
I should have used this icon (sarcasm)

I had earlier said this
Quote:
I'll cut Antropov a lot more slack than some of the others.
and this
Quote:
I agree we really have no other options unless we can pry a player away from a Cap challenged team and still Antropov will be going nowhere.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Buffalo?

Quote:
I should have used this icon (sarcasm)

I had earlier said this

and this

I agree we really have no other options unless we can pry a player away from a Cap challenged team and still Antropov will be going nowhere.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

After tonights game I am personally looking forward to a very solid amount of roster cuts so we can get down to business for the remaining pre-season games.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:24 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Are people seriously suggesting trading or worse DEMOTING Antropov? Seriously? So you want who exactly to play top 6? Kyle ****ing Wellwood as a top 6er? Even our top prospects right now are very green (Scheifele) or not suited to a top 6 role (Cormier, Machacek, Maxwell, Klingberg for now). Antropov is a top 6 player, and like I have said and will continue to say his lack of speed will not be a big deal when actual systems are in place and he can showcase his smarts, playmaking and puck control to slow the game down to his pace and make plays. I do not think WPG will be all that close to playoffs, but if they want to have any shot at it Antropov will be a very big part of it.
Antropov is no longer a top 6 player. He's seriously lost a gear. The Thrashers fans tried and tried to get this through everyone's heads, and how it was going to be an issue because TNSE failed to address the problem (Just like ASG failed to address the problem...Or rather they didn't want to fix the problem) and didn't at least go after someone like Ryder. Instead, the big signing of the offseason is Eric Fehr, who simply replaces Fake Chris Stewart. Everyone was so enamoured with the Center position that they never payed attention to the huge freakin gap on the right side...

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
Antropov is no longer a top 6 player. He's seriously lost a gear. The Thrashers fans tried and tried to get this through everyone's heads, and how it was going to be an issue because TNSE failed to address the problem (Just like ASG failed to address the problem...Or rather they didn't want to fix the problem) and didn't at least go after someone like Ryder. Instead, the big signing of the offseason is Eric Fehr, who simply replaces Fake Chris Stewart. Everyone was so enamoured with the Center position that they never payed attention to the huge freakin gap on the right side...
We can only hope things work out and Antropov somehow manages to put up a solid season. So far it doesn't look good, but it's still just the preseason.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:35 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
yeah, i don't want to start this argument again, but i really fail to understand this logic....how is he any better as a third liner if he is paid $3m as opposed to $5m?

shouldn't we be questioning whether or not he is as good as other third liners in our conference?........or if we even have enough depth for him to be a third liner......if we expect a third liner to contribute to some level, isn't the debate whether he does or not?.....he doesn't fulfill his role any more or less depending on his salary.

the debate has to be can he perform the role he is expected to play?...it isn't prorated based on his wage.

i really don't get the whole value for money thing....the best player possible at each position is what is important....what he makes is irrelevant.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 09-25-2011 at 10:43 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:41 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Are people seriously suggesting trading or worse DEMOTING Antropov? Seriously? So you want who exactly to play top 6? Kyle ****ing Wellwood as a top 6er?
wouldn't the point of a trade be to get someone to fill that role?....there are lots of teams (leafs) who will pay for players with recognizable names who's best days are behind them.....

if he is as bad as he looks, now is the time to deal him....put him in a package with a pick or prospect and get something back before he has another terrible year and is worthless on the market.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:47 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Buffalo?
Buffalo is certainly a Cap challenged team. I would like to get Brad Boyes. It looks like the Sabres are going to hide Kotalik's 3 million $ salary in the AHL as he has been placed on waivers. Boyes has a suspension for 2 games and I really have no idea if the Sabres would trade him or if he would even fit into the Jets plans.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

I was thinking Boyes too. He's intriguing ...

Quote:
Buffalo is certainly a Cap challenged team. I would like to get Brad Boyes. It looks like the Sabres are going to hide Kotalik's 3 million $ salary in the AHL as he has been placed on waivers. Boyes has a suspension for 2 games and I really have no idea if the Sabres would trade him or if he would even fit into the Jets plans.

Old
09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
yeah, i don't want to start this argument again, but i really fail to understand this logic....how is he any better as a third liner if he is paid $3m as opposed to $5m?

shouldn't we be questioning whether or not he is as good as other third liners in our conference?........or if we even have enough depth for him to be a third liner......if we expect a third liner to contribute to some level, isn't the debate whether he does or not?.....he doesn't fulfill his role any more or less depending on his salary.

the debate has to be can he perform the role he is expected to play?...it isn't prorated based on his wage.

i really don't get the whole value for money thing....the best player possible at each position is what is important....what he makes is irrelevant.
We've already gone over how I totally disagree with you, I'm just laughing at how you started by saying "i don't want to start this argument again" and then rehashed exactly what the arguing was over

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 10:50 PM
blues10

Quote:
wouldn't the point of a trade be to get someone to fill that role?....there are lots of teams (leafs) who will pay for players with recognizable names who's best days are behind them.....

if he is as bad as he looks, now is the time to deal him....put him in a package with a pick or prospect and get something back before he has another terrible year and is worthless on the market.
Antropov for Kyle Turris. Phoenix puts a premium on older players and they have lots of CAP space.

As others have said, it will be nice when this roster gets trimmed down either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:08 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
After tonights game I am personally looking forward to a very solid amount of roster cuts so we can get down to business for the remaining pre-season games.
Agreed.

These "split squad" arrangements should only come up when both teams are playing in the same situation.

When one team ices a more or less complete line-up and the other is SS, what the heck does the SS organization learn other than by how much they're over matched.

You know the home squad is always going to ice their best, more or less. Why not put both organizations in the same boat?

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote