Old
09-25-2011, 11:13 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Agreed.

These "split squad" arrangements should only come up when both teams are playing in the same situation.

When one team ices a more or less complete line-up and the other is SS, what the heck does the SS organization learn other than by how much they're over matched.

You know the home squad is always going to ice their best, more or less. Why not put both organizations in the same boat?
It gives the coaches a chance to see them on the ice. You can't really get 55 guys on a bench for one game. This way they get to see the Festerlings play etc.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

vCash: 500
Or how ****** Randy jones really is....

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

I think it's pretty pointless judging the performance of veteran players that have guaranteed roster slots during the preseason.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
yeah, i don't want to start this argument again, but i really fail to understand this logic....how is he any better as a third liner if he is paid $3m as opposed to $5m?

shouldn't we be questioning whether or not he is as good as other third liners in our conference?........or if we even have enough depth for him to be a third liner......if we expect a third liner to contribute to some level, isn't the debate whether he does or not?.....he doesn't fulfill his role any more or less depending on his salary.

the debate has to be can he perform the role he is expected to play?...it isn't prorated based on his wage.

i really don't get the whole value for money thing....the best player possible at each position is what is important....what he makes is irrelevant.
Horrible argument. Of course what he makes is relevant, there is this thing called a salary cap which means you have to manage your money, so every player needs to contribute based on how much they make. I have seen you try to make this argument before, and fail, not sure why you would bring it up again.

Quote:
wouldn't the point of a trade be to get someone to fill that role?....there are lots of teams (leafs) who will pay for players with recognizable names who's best days are behind them.....

if he is as bad as he looks, now is the time to deal him....put him in a package with a pick or prospect and get something back before he has another terrible year and is worthless on the market.
Ok go ahead and try to propose a Antropov for say MacArthur trade and see how far that gets you. Guess what, Antropov coming off his bad year, ALREADY has no value, therefore why not give a PROVEN scorer a chance. Rather than pay with our future which we are hanging onto since we a still a rebuilding club. We need those prospects and picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Antropov for Kyle Turris. Phoenix puts a premium on older players and they have lots of CAP space.

As others have said, it will be nice when this roster gets trimmed down either tomorrow or Tuesday.
If you could get PHO to trade Turris for Antropov you should be our GM. Also I doubt an NHL owned team will want to be adding salary, cap is not really a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Agreed.

These "split squad" arrangements should only come up when both teams are playing in the same situation.

When one team ices a more or less complete line-up and the other is SS, what the heck does the SS organization learn other than by how much they're over matched.

You know the home squad is always going to ice their best, more or less. Why not put both organizations in the same boat?
Big reason for this is, if you notice, most of our opponants are Southeast division, as in these games were scheduled before the moved was announced. So Jets did not want to tire the guys out with these road trips all over the continent, so they are keeping more guys longer and having to play more rookies. This is just another difficulty arising from the move and will be fixed for next season.

EDIT: I think everybody should take a step back and realize that this is still just preseason, let's at least wait until Antropov has a chance in real games before we say he has nothing left. I know Duke and others say this is just a continuation from last year, but I had heard he was hurt all year, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 09-25-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Alphabets

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
You missed Mason. But it's okay, because pucks have the tendency to miss him too.
That made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I don't get this at all. Sure, if you are up against the cap or have a better option. But, as slow and uninspired as Antropov is, he is big, wins faceoffs and is an NHL veteran. Sending him to the minors would only make this team weaker.
Just for the record, he doesn't really do that. I don't think anyone was talking about sending him to the minors... just saying that he hasn't played very well the past few years and this pre-season doesn't leave much to be expected.

Alphabets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphabets View Post
Just for the record, he doesn't really do that. I don't think anyone was talking about sending him to the minors... just saying that he hasn't played very well the past few years and this pre-season doesn't leave much to be expected.
He had a career high in points 2 seasons ago before the hip surgery, just saying.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:26 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
Antropov is no longer a top 6 player. He's seriously lost a gear. The Thrashers fans tried and tried to get this through everyone's heads, and how it was going to be an issue because TNSE failed to address the problem (Just like ASG failed to address the problem...Or rather they didn't want to fix the problem) and didn't at least go after someone like Ryder. Instead, the big signing of the offseason is Eric Fehr, who simply replaces Fake Chris Stewart. Everyone was so enamoured with the Center position that they never payed attention to the huge freakin gap on the right side...
Yeah man, Winnipeg should have went after Michael Ryder and overpaid for him regardless of his poor showings in almost every year he's been in Boston! Awesome idea "bro"

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:49 AM
Sabonis

Re: Antropov

some of you need to relax, give the guy more than 2 pre-season games to get his legs under him. I'm reading a lot of the stuff written on here and it's just laughable. Obviously most of you people haven't followed Antropov at all. He's never been a demon on the ice, he gets by on smarts, positioning and net presence. It's so easy to single out the "slow guy". Come the end of the year, Antropov will still be here and I expect he'll play similarly to how he did in his first full year with ATL. He's just a year removed from putting up 67pts.

And before you mention Kovalchuk, look at the stats when Ilya left.

I would just be a little patient, some of you sound as bad as Leaf fans...

Sabonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:39 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Yeah man, Winnipeg should have went after Michael Ryder and overpaid for him regardless of his poor showings in almost every year he's been in Boston! Awesome idea "bro"
I don't necessarily mean JUST Ryder, but someone with a bit more offensive potential. But hey...That's cool. You'll change your mind when the team pretty much goes zero for january.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:40 AM
KevFist
is best pony

And for the record, Winnipeg's almost $17 million under the cap. Overpaying for someone for the next couple of years isn't really a concern.

Old
09-26-2011, 06:41 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
I don't necessarily mean JUST Ryder, but someone with a bit more offensive potential. But hey...That's cool. You'll change your mind when the team pretty much goes zero for january.
In your opinion, who should they have signed then?
To me the market looked pretty bare, and for those who were out there, it would have taken a stupid overpayment (I am looking at you Leino) to get someone.

Last edited by King Woodballs: 09-26-2011 at 07:16 AM.
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
To me the market looked pretty bare, and for those who were out there, it would ahve taken a stupid overpayment (I am looking at you Leino) to get someone.
You're correct the market was bare with talent. The talent that was there received overpayment for their talent levels IMO. Good CAP management is of the utmost of importance in today's NHL, especially for a team like Winnipeg.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:03 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
To me the market looked pretty bare, and for those who were out there, it would ahve taken a stupid overpayment (I am looking at you Leino) to get someone.
I would have gone after Steve Sullivan or Radim Vrbata.

Old
09-26-2011, 08:03 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Quote:
And for the record, Winnipeg's almost $17 million under the cap. Overpaying for someone for the next couple of years isn't really a concern.
Wrong and illogical, in my opinion. Overpaying is overpaying no matter which way you slice it. Just because you have the cap room today doesn't make it smart or logical to dive into the free agent market and make a stupid, inflated signing - which this summer proved to be pathetically notorious for. I'm all for improving the roster, but for heavens sake did guys ever get overpaid this summer. And, it was a very poor market talent wise.

Our ownership has the luxury of having one of the wealthiest men in the NHL let alone the world and Canada, and he surely didn't get this far by pissing away his dollars and cents just because he could.

Quote:
But hey...That's cool. You'll change your mind when the team pretty much goes zero for january.

I don't intend to rail on you here, but this broken record has pretty well taken it's course to the eyes and ears of Jets fans, in my opinion. Will this team take a complete nosedive like they did last season? maybe. But it'd be kind of nice if we didn't have to listen to it as fact once a week as we enter a new season with completely new surroundings and a new direction for the team. And how often are we going to have to listen to it? Through October, November and December until we see how things go in January and February? That'll get a little bit tiresome. And of course we didn't make any big signings over the summer and perhaps we didn't address the needs Thrasher fans discussed, however, are we going to have to hear about it after we lose a game or two, or perhaps don't start out the season on the right foot? or hit a losing skid? Again, i'm not railing on you here, but as we hit the road on our first season here in Winnipeg with a completely new foundation under the team and guiding the team, a new direction and plan for the team, it gets a little tiresome that we have facts of last season shoved in our faces as a fact that will transpire this season when in truth, the circumstances within and around the team are pretty different and what happened last season is no definitive fact of what will happen this season.

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-26-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:35 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
im not too sure if anyone else agrees with me on this one but the Jets look like a pretty hard working team, we cant get too carried away with the pre season we never fielded a full lineup just yet...if Carolina spanked us 4-0 with our regulars then id get a bit worried but till then i have faith in this team. We did inherit a poorly run franchise and things dont change over night give it some time guys.

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
wouldn't the point of a trade be to get someone to fill that role?....there are lots of teams (leafs) who will pay for players with recognizable names who's best days are behind them.....

if he is as bad as he looks, now is the time to deal him....put him in a package with a pick or prospect and get something back before he has another terrible year and is worthless on the market.
My take on this is the same as it's always been. Antro holds zero value in a trade at this point. As in middle-grade prospect and late round draft pick zero. At the very best, meaning he returns to his form from 2009-10, then we might be able to dangle him for an aging 2nd line RW at the deadline. Right now, he's a 3rd line C and maybe 2nd PP unit guy for most teams.

Most likely, he's just going to play out the string for the next two years of his contract.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:45 AM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
I would have gone after Steve Sullivan or Radim Vrbata.
Sully and Vrbata would have minimal impact on the team. How do you know who True North even made offers to? Not everybody is gonna sign with the team.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:45 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
My take on this is the same as it's always been. Antro holds zero value in a trade at this point. As in middle-grade prospect and late round draft pick zero. At the very best, meaning he returns to his form from 2009-10, then we might be able to dangle him for an aging 2nd line RW at the deadline. Right now, he's a 3rd line C and maybe 2nd PP unit guy for most teams.

Most likely, he's just going to play out the string for the next two years of his contract.
BINGO

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Sully and Vrbata would have minimal impact on the team. How do you know who True North even made offers to? Not everybody is gonna sign with the team.
I don't agree. I think Vrbata would have made an excellent 2nd line RW (where we have a glaring hole).

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I don't intend to rail on you here, but this broken record has pretty well taken it's course to the eyes and ears of Jets fans, in my opinion. Will this team take a complete nosedive like they did last season? maybe. But it'd be kind of nice if we didn't have to listen to it as fact once a week as we enter a new season with completely new surroundings and a new direction for the team. And how often are we going to have to listen to it? Through October, November and December until we see how things go in January and February? That'll get a little bit tiresome. And of course we didn't make any big signings over the summer and perhaps we didn't address the needs Thrasher fans discussed, however, are we going to have to hear about it after we lose a game or two, or perhaps don't start out the season on the right foot? or hit a losing skid? Again, i'm not railing on you here, but as we hit the road on our first season here in Winnipeg with a completely new foundation under the team and guiding the team, a new direction and plan for the team, it gets a little tiresome that we have facts of last season shoved in our faces as a fact that will transpire this season when in truth, the circumstances within and around the team are pretty different and what happened last season is no definitive fact of what will happen this season.
Agreed. This needed to be said and understood by some.

Last edited by Puckschmuck*: 09-26-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
Thanks, Guerzy.

Someone had to say it. Very well put.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:47 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Wrong and illogical, in my opinion. Overpaying is overpaying no matter which way you slice it. Just because you have the cap room today doesn't make it smart or logical to dive into the free agent market and make a stupid, inflated signing - which this summer proved to be pathetically notorious for. I'm all for improving the roster, but for heavens sake did guys ever get overpaid this summer. And, it was a very poor market talent wise.

Our ownership has the luxury of having one of the wealthiest men in the NHL let alone the world and Canada, and he surely didn't get this far by pissing away his dollars and cents just because he could.

Great post.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:48 AM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
It would be funny if the wheels fell off of this team come the new year again.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:51 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
It would be funny if the wheels fell off of this team come the new year again.
For some... I bet it would.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

It would take something big (a string of injuries to the teams best, Kane, Enstrom, Ladd, etc...) for this team to have such an epic fall compared with last season. For a team to start out that good, and turn into a team so bad like that...I just don't see it happening like that again.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote