HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Kovalev

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB
Even last year, the Sens oushot the leafs but Belfour had a clear view of the shot all the time.
I disagree with this completely. There were a lot of shots where the puck hit at least one and sometimes two or three sticks and/or bodies and belfour ended up looking the other way and the puck either hit him or off the post. The only goal that went in after such a deflection was (if I remember right) in the second game where the puck went off his own player.

Also, Schaeffer and Fisher did a pretty good job of getting in front of the net. There were at least four times (that I could see on TV) where Belfour cross checked Fisher in the back after the play had moved up ice. You don't get crosschecked by the goalie if you're playing on the perimeter.

The Sens did not score because belfour stoned them, not becasue they were afraid to go in front of the net.

Old
08-24-2004, 12:59 PM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
I disagree with this completely. There were a lot of shots where the puck hit at least one and sometimes two or three sticks and/or bodies and belfour ended up looking the other way and the puck either hit him or off the post. The only goal that went in after such a deflection was (if I remember right) in the second game where the puck went off his own player.

Also, Schaeffer and Fisher did a pretty good job of getting in front of the net. There were at least four times (that I could see on TV) where Belfour cross checked Fisher in the back after the play had moved up ice. You don't get crosschecked by the goalie if you're playing on the perimeter.

The Sens did not score because belfour stoned them, not becasue they were afraid to go in front of the net.
Finally, someone else who watched the series.

The Sens had the skill, were tough enough and did go to the net. Belfour was just a beast. That and the Sens didn't show up for Game 5 and Lalime messed up in Game 7. Period.

Besides, how much 'grittier' were the Lightning, which the last time I checked won the Stanley Cup, not the Leafs, Flyers, or Devils.

Old
08-28-2004, 10:00 PM
Bacchus

I don't think that Kovalev is the player your team is missing.
Just wanted to mention that he is not soft. He is not hitting like a train, but he can handle physical play. Oh and btw, he can play center as well.

Old
08-28-2004, 10:23 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz
I don't think that Kovalev is the player your team is missing.
Just wanted to mention that he is not soft. He is not hitting like a train, but he can handle physical play. Oh and btw, he can play center as well.
I think they need a player like O'Neil

Old
08-29-2004, 11:53 AM
sensfan18

I don't think we need a player like Kovalev, but if we were to sign one I'd go with Demitra (#1 centre who looked good with Hoss lastnight) or Kariya (#1 LWer).

Old
08-29-2004, 08:46 PM
cage

i don't know what the sens are missing. im hoping it was a coach, and that has already been addressed

ottawa always comes up against a better goalie. they outshoot/outplay but just can't seem to buy a goal. i'll always remember in the east finals when arvedson was in the slot by himself, brodeur was on his side, arvie took forever (or so it seemed)to shoot the puck, and when he did he shot it right into marty's glove.

i think they made eddie look alot better than he actually was last year.

i sort of like the doug weight idea

Old
08-30-2004, 12:27 AM
Jeffrey

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
See...this just proves your knowledge of the Sens needs is limited at best.

Where does Kovalev fit in with Alfie, Hossa and Havlat on the right side????

Kariya would actually addresses a need for the Sens...a top line scoring LW.
Like i said ...
Kovalev wont fit with the sens...
you guys need a proven left winger like kariya ... or maybe a solid 2 way #2 center ... anyway i do like the sens and i want them to win the cup ... unless of course you're playing the habs ...
anyway take it easy next time !

Old
08-30-2004, 01:42 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
LOL...from what I've watched most of his career...and especially last year with the Habs the dude is softer than soft at the soft store dipped in soft sauce. Especially his antics when he gets a tap and starts to whine which in turn allows the opposition to score.
Way to take one instance and blow it up over an entire career.

If you think Kovalev is soft then you must be new to the NHL. That's about all I can say. Lazy? Yes. Stupid? Absolutely. But not soft.

Old
09-04-2004, 09:37 AM
High flyin' Habs*

Send a message via ICQ to High flyin' Habs* Send a message via MSN to High flyin' Habs*
Forget it Ottawa, I have a good feeling that Kovalev will sign with the habs, he himself said that Montreal is his #1 choice.

Old
09-04-2004, 10:17 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Way to take one instance and blow it up over an entire career.

If you think Kovalev is soft then you must be new to the NHL. That's about all I can say. Lazy? Yes. Stupid? Absolutely. But not soft.
Maybe our definition of soft is different.

I've never seen Kovalev fight throught substancial adversity in my life really...that's what I call a soft player.

A lazy, gives up too easily, doesn't check...etc...

No denying the dude has some sick skills...but you'll never see him charge the net and actually fight for a goal...it's all dipsie doodle perimeter crap.

Old
09-04-2004, 10:18 AM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothskater
Forget it Ottawa, I have a good feeling that Kovalev will sign with the habs, he himself said that Montreal is his #1 choice.
Link?

Kovalev will go to the highest bidder...the only loyalty a guy like that has is the all mighty ruble.

Old
09-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Ismellofhockey

Actually with the Habs Kovalev fought a lot along the boards and usually won. He even laid some pretty big hits just like he did tonight vs Canada (at least 1).

That part of his game however is incredibly inconsistent and he may look softer than banana puree on any given night depending on his intensity level. When it's high however you'll see him using his size well, crashing the net, hitting, fighting along the boards...

Old
09-05-2004, 05:58 PM
SENATOR

Kovalev was instrumental in the 1993 Rangers Stanley cup success. Not messier, but Alex. In my opinion, Messier was the second fiddle in the orchestra. Kovalev is lazy during the regular season, but a mighty force during playoffs. Karia is soft and washed up with injuries former super star. Kovalev is a dream comes true for any manager, who builds his team for the playoff success. If you want a good regular season, Ottawa would still keep Bonk. But it did not. That's why Bondra is history as well.

Old
09-05-2004, 06:10 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENATOR
Kovalev was instrumental in the 1993 Rangers Stanley cup success. Not messier, but Alex. In my opinion, Messier was the second fiddle in the orchestra. Kovalev is lazy during the regular season, but a mighty force during playoffs. Karia is soft and washed up with injuries former super star. Kovalev is a dream comes true for any manager, who builds his team for the playoff success. If you want a good regular season, Ottawa would still keep Bonk. But it did not. That's why Bondra is history as well.
heum.....wasn't it 1994 that they won. The Habs won in 1993

Old
09-05-2004, 07:42 PM
SENATOR

Ok It was 1994. Habs in 1993 really went on the pure desire to win. The most untalented hockey team with a lot of grit ever to win the Sanley. But Kovalev, Zubov, Leetch, Messier and Richter won it on pure talent and grit from the third line down.

I think you can add Mateau, Anderson, Karpovtzev and Nemchinov to that list.

Old
09-05-2004, 07:47 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Ok It was 1994. Habs in 1993 really went on the pure desire to win. The most untalented hockey team with a lot of grit ever to win the Sanley. But Kovalev, Zubov, Leetch, Messier and Richter won it on pure talent and grit from the third line down.

That's better

Old
09-05-2004, 10:22 PM
SensGod

Quote:

OOoooOOooooOOoo...he was instrumental 10 years ago...well then he must be the missing link.

We should get Orr, Gretzky, Messier and Rocket Richard too...OOooOoo...we better get Andre Roy back too...they were all parts of winning cups in the past too, so by that logic they could all help the Sens win a cup as well.

Old
09-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
I doubt he will sign, I can see him in a red wings jersey.

Old
09-07-2004, 08:06 AM
chara

Alex Kovalev is an absolute enigma. When he wants to play, he's one of the most dominant players in the league.

If he's smart, he won't take the biggest paycheque. When his heart isn't in it, he just doesn't compete very hard.

As for the Sens or any team for that matter, who wouldn't want the Alex Kovalev who played for the Penguins, or for the Habs in last year's playoffs, or for the Russians in the World Cup. He can absolutely dominate a game whenever he hits the ice. I really liked how the Russians used him on the point on the powerplay. Giving Kovalev more responsibility just increases his will to play.

Last edited by chara: 09-08-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old
09-08-2004, 08:55 AM
Crossroads*

Quote:

Your 'good feeling' doesn't matter and please find evidence of where he said that Montreal is his number one choice.

Old
09-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Bruins4Ever

Send a message via MSN to Bruins4Ever
I don't know anything about the Senators, so I have a question. Who is "Smoke?" Forgive me if I seem a bit slow, but who is he?

Old
09-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Volchenkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
I don't know anything about the Senators, so I have a question. Who is "Smoke?" Forgive me if I seem a bit slow, but who is he?
Bryan Smolinski. Its a familial tradition for the male Smolinskis to be called "smoke".

Old
09-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Bryan Smolinski. Its a familial tradition for the male Smolinskis to be called "smoke".
I like his nickname one of the better ones on the Sens?

Old
09-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
I like his nickname one of the better ones on the Sens?

I think the best are Mach 9 Martin Havlat and, my favorite nickname, The A train Anton Volchenkov he has other good ones too like the Russian Tank.

Old
09-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins4Ever
Actually I like it when people come ask questions its much better than staying ignorant. Plus I dont like when people try to make others feel unwelcome when they arent in their teams board :mad: although most people on this site are pretty nice. So welcome to the sens board, to answer your question : Bryan Smolinski

from tsn: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...58&hubName=OTT
Description/scouting report is very accurate

from NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/lineups/player/8458069.html

Closed Thread