HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Your 2011-2012 St. Louis Blues part 2

Old
10-07-2011, 11:14 AM
CH4

vCash: 500
do you have the probable lines combos for the opening?

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:20 AM
River City Rumble
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
do you have the probable lines combos for the opening?
McDonald - Backes - Langenbrunner
Oshie - Berglund - Stewart
Steen - Arnott - D'Agostini
Sobotka - Nichol - Reaves

Colaiacovo - Pietrangelo
Jackman - Shattenkirk
Nikitin/Huskins - Polak

Halak
Elliott

River City Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Bure

Hey guys, so what's Grachev's situation?

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Hey guys, so what's Grachev's situation?
Grachev made the team out of camp, but not sure if he will play much.

They seem to like Oshie on the left wing on the second line.

If everyone stays healthy, I would expect Grachev to go down to Peoria to play at some point.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 01:54 PM
Bure

Oh kk, nice to see him with a fresh start though. Hopefully everything goes well for the Blues with him.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 02:17 PM
execwrite

Here's the first quarter of the season - need to get 25 points to stay on pace for a 100 point season.

10 at home, 10 on the road.

Sat, Oct 8 vs Nashville
Mon, Oct 10 vs Calgary
Thu, Oct 13 @ Dallas
Sat, Oct 15 @ San Jose
Sun, Oct 16 @ Anaheim
Tue, Oct 18 @ Los Angeles
Fri, Oct 21 vs Carolina
Sat, Oct 22 @ Philadelphia
Wed, Oct 26 @ Vancouver
Fri, Oct 28 @ Calgary
Sun, Oct 30 @ Edmonton

Fri, Nov 4 vs Vancouver
Sat, Nov 5 @ Minnesota
Tue, Nov 8 vs Chicago
Thu, Nov 10 vs Toronto
Sat, Nov 12 vs Tampa Bay
Tue, Nov 15 vs Detroit
Thu, Nov 17 vs Florida
Sat, Nov 19 @ Minnesota
Tue, Nov 22 vs Los Angeles

Last edited by execwrite: 10-08-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
10-11-2011, 04:40 PM
stlweir

So many teams have improved so every game is a battle. I'll like the 4th line better with Crombeen. I like this Blues team. A number of youngsters appear to have stepped their game up a notch. This is a season for the Blues to make some noise. Exciting that Perron will hopefully add some firepower and excitement when he returns. Polak has his fire back and early on I think Nikitin looks good. This is going to be a fun season. Before it is all said and done Cole will contribute on D.

Calgary owned us last season and the Blues taught them the meaning of the word respect. Halak has not looked crisp in goal yet there have been a couple of unusual deflections that have gotten by him. The Berglund line is studly, I's like to see Dags back on the Backes line with Perron replacing him in a couple of months. The Dags - Arnott - Steen line looks solid. I'm drinking the Cool Aid. I'll have a double. Keep em coming bartender.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 05:37 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I agree Halak needs to be sharper, but I'm not worried about him. I think he may need to play back into mental shape, but the team is good enough and giving up such few scoring chances that the Blues have that luxury.

I suppose Crombeen is a better option than Reaves on the 4th line....but I'd rather see Langenbrunner in that spot with a healthy Perron on the top line. Its a shame that NHL caliber players are getting healthy scratches and AHL assignments, but its a great sign of the health of the Blues' roster.

I'm not sold on D'Agostini as being a true 20 goal scorer. I think he played a bit over his head last year. But I like his speed and I like his shot, when he's playing well. If everyone on the roster were fully healthy, I'm not sure where to put D'Agostini other than the 4th line....and I'm not certain that's his best assignment.

A 4th line of Sobotka, Nichols and D'Agostini is a pretty dangerous 4th line.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 07:38 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I agree Halak needs to be sharper, but I'm not worried about him. I think he may need to play back into mental shape, but the team is good enough and giving up such few scoring chances that the Blues have that luxury.

I suppose Crombeen is a better option than Reaves on the 4th line....but I'd rather see Langenbrunner in that spot with a healthy Perron on the top line. Its a shame that NHL caliber players are getting healthy scratches and AHL assignments, but its a great sign of the health of the Blues' roster.

I'm not sold on D'Agostini as being a true 20 goal scorer. I think he played a bit over his head last year. But I like his speed and I like his shot, when he's playing well. If everyone on the roster were fully healthy, I'm not sure where to put D'Agostini other than the 4th line....and I'm not certain that's his best assignment.

A 4th line of Sobotka, Nichols and D'Agostini is a pretty dangerous 4th line.
Funny, that would seem good but probably wastes Sobotka and D'Agostini.

But when Perron and Crombeen come back, it's going to get real interesting. Probably means Oshie drops to the third line RW. And Grachev and Reaves go to Peoria.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:08 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Through the first 9 games of the season:

Forwards:
NameGPGoalsAssistsPointsProj GPProj GProj AProj P
Steen953882462773
Arnott935882274673
D'Agostini942682361854
McDonald30227605151
Berglund932582271845
Oshie91458293645
Backes922482181836
Langenbrunner90338202727
Stewart92028218018
Sobotka90228201818
Grachev60117901313
Reaves400077000
Porter500078000
Nichol900082000
Perron000073???

Defense:
NameGPGoalsAssistsPointsProj GPProj GProj AProj P
Shattenkirk91458293645
Huskins822481202040
Colaiacovo411277191938
Pietrangelo91348292736
Jackman90228201818
Polak90228201818
Nikitin600079000

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:24 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Don't look now, but Colaiacovo is playing good defense.

Also, we're seeing a lot more net presence on the cycle. That was lacking in the first few games. I think the bottom line is that the team is just willing to work harder during the games now.

Old
10-27-2011, 09:26 AM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Don't look now, but Colaiacovo is playing good defense.

Also, we're seeing a lot more net presence on the cycle. That was lacking in the first few games. I think the bottom line is that the team is just willing to work harder during the games now.
For whatever reason the first few games we just came out flat then played great hockey in the third, they seem to be playing with the same intensity from the get go now and we are gettin results

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:40 AM
execwrite

Our three defensive pairs are perfectly balanced right now.

Hope they can stay together for a nice long run.

Old
10-27-2011, 10:14 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Hmm is Stewart struggling? I was expecting huge things from him this year but two goals doesnt impress. Is he playing well with the pucks just not going in or is he just not doing very good?

Also how are the lines constructed? Are your three top lines playing equally much? I dont know what to believe when watching the time your players are playing

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 10:25 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Hmm is Stewart struggling? I was expecting huge things from him this year but two goals doesnt impress. Is he playing well with the pucks just not going in or is he just not doing very good?

Also how are the lines constructed? Are your three top lines playing equally much? I dont know what to believe when watching the time your players are playing
I haven't seen every game this season, but I thought Stewart played much better last night. He was moving his feet and back checked hard.

The Blues are missing two key LW's in Perron and McDonald so Sobotka has jumped up to play with Backes and Stewart. Obviously, not much of a playmaker on that line but Stewart played much better last night and the goals will come.

The Blues roll three lines almost equally at even strength when you look at distribution of ice time. When our tough guy Reaves doesn't dress, even our 4th liners will play 8-10 minutes.

It's nice to see that offensive depth and our forwards will continue to look fresh like last night even though we had a long lag between games (so they should've been fresh to begin with).

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:46 AM
execwrite

Quote:

Stewart is contributing with good shifts but not much scoring. And he stopped taking bad penalties, which is a positive. He seems to be a streak scorer, so I guess he'll get hot again soon.

The top three lines are all contributing. But the Steen, Arnott and Langenbrunner group has probably been the best.

Old
10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:

St. Louis' powerplay has been non-existent(worst in the league) this season. Last season Stewart scored 43% of his goals on the PP. I think once the PP becomes effective(and I do think it will come around) Stewart will get back to his normal production.

The Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:37 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:

I think people who were expecting 40 from Stewie are going to be disappointed. I think he will be a perennial 30 goal scorer, but 40 is a stretch.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:37 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

It seems like Stewart creates at least one good scoring chance a game off the rush with his speed, and I see him going to the front of the net on a regular basis, so I'm not too worried about his numbers over the long haul. I did expect a bit more creativity and vision off the cycle from him than he's showed so far, but to his credit he's cleaned up the awful, awful turnovers he was making in the first five or six games of the season.

As somebody else mentioned, the general lack of production on the PP is a real killer for his point totals right now. McDonald and Perron are our two most creative forwards with the puck, and both are out, so that obviously doesn't help. There's still a lot of progress to be made in that area, but things have generally looked better since they switched to the 1-3-1. Much better than their overall numbers would suggest. Eventually, things will come around there as well.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:25 AM
BluesBrother

What do you guys think of this dump and chase, work it in corners ****.. I'm so tired of watching this " hardworking " team, because we don't score enough.. Get rid of Davis Payne, guys like Oshie must be able to use their creativity. At the moment Oshie is scared of making a mistake, IMO. When we have the puck, I'd like to see something else than a dump. It's ok sometimes, but all the time? Have ever seen Datsjuk dumping the puck

I know we have a good team, but today against Edmonton I was SO angry! Does someone agree?!?!?

BluesBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:07 PM
SteenMachine

Well for whatever reason the transition game looks like a disaster without it, they were absolutely terrible about going offsides to start the year. They never seem to enter the offensive zone with a plan of where to move the puck or set up for the first pass so they can cycle, put the puck on net, move the play back to the point and screen the goalie.

That's half the reason the powerplay looks like garbage, if an opponent can clear the puck, our team is doomed to mediocre rushes and sloppy playmaking.

For whatever reason our big bodied players completely waste their size advantage and try to dump the puck off or drop it back rather than push through contact and maintain control so the team can enter the zone as a unit.

Guys like Perron and McDonald at least had the puck handling skills to shake off hits and work it up the boards then turn around at the icing line and find a team mate or push the puck around back of the net to someone facing the play.

I think that's one of the things that makes Berglund look like someone capable of becoming a true 1st line center, when he's confident with the puck he'll come straight through the center and just force his way to where he wants to be to distribute or shoot. Getting him to do that for a full game or full home / road swing seems to be the bigger issue.

We have so much depth and size, but we still look intimidated by physical contact, so it just becomes the forced play of dump and chase.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:09 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

When the other team is clogging the neutral zone, dumping the puck is a reasonable entry method. You need guys crossing the blue-line with speed to get there before the defense. Also, the Blues are a physically bigger/stronger team than the Oilers and SHOULD have been able to win the majority of puck battles on the boards.

I think as a strategy it was reasonable with the way Edmonton chose to defend. But the Blues didn't play a high energy game and seemed out of synch. So many passes were just a few inches too long, or passed back to the point when the guy was changing, etc. A lot of the dumps, no one was going hard to the corner. It became frustrating to watch.

But dump and chase isn't a team philosophy. Its just a strategic counter to what Edmonton was doing (and should have provided the Blues an advantage or forced more room in the neutral zone).

Old
10-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Mike Liut

I like Edmonton's speed game over our bigger, slower guys.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Last year the Blues were a top 10 team in the league 5 on 5...this year they're currently at #8, and on a pace that would have placed them in the top 5 last year. Their even-strength "system" isn't the problem.

Last year the PP finished the season at a very respectable 18.6% (10th in the league), and it was obviously fairly hot over the last portion of the season. If the Blues PP% right now was where it finished last year, the Blues would be averaging 2.88 goals per game...exactly what they finished with last year. The same coaches were running it then, and it had largely the same players executing it. Is it the coaching then? Or the players? Or simply a bump in the road that will even out as the last 87% of the season plays out?

Up to this point, Halak's been arguably the worst goalie in the league and the Blues are still hovering right around .500. The Blues have played the most road games in the league, on arguably the most difficult travel swing they'll have all year, and they're still hovering right around .500. They're still finding their game, obviously, but I think it's way too early to be pondering coaching changes or knee-jerk trades. If things haven't improved after the next 15 games or so, then it'll be time to start seriously considering how best to right the ship.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Blues88

We need a faster counter attack. We are just a mess in transition, and it reflects in the amount of dump and chasing we do.

That said, teams are dumb if they don't forecheck hard against us. Composure under the top pairing is a bit shaky. I would really like to see them go after another reliable puck mover later in the season. I like Coliaccovo well enough but he (my opinion) is a waste on the top pairing. I know Pietrangelo can pinch, but with his composure, I'd like to see someone more offensive with him. Except for not being particularly physical, I see no holes when he plays on the d side of the puck.

Some may think I' crazy, but we are feeling the effects of not having Andy McDonald. We need a playmaker BADLY. There is little creativity throughout the line up.

Wouldn't hurt having Perron back either.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote