HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcus Kruger-Mark McNeill-Brandon Pirri

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2011, 06:34 AM
  #1
DontToewzMeBro
Registered User
 
DontToewzMeBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,136
vCash: 500
Marcus Kruger-Mark McNeill-Brandon Pirri

Marcus Kruger(1990)-5'11, 175 pounds, 2-way center
Drafted 143rd overall, 5th round

Best Season: GP38 G11 A20 P31(Djurgardens IF Stockholm)
Observations:People once amazed us with Kruger's possible offensive potential, with some drawing comparisons to pro's of his same decent(Sweden), he seems like a solid checking center who can pass the puck but has lacked in the strength department, and is not exactly fast.Markus has not shown his offensive touch which landed him 31 points in Sweden. By no means should we right him of at #2 center,he needs another year for sure but he must work on his wrist shot,cycling, speed/strength and maybe most importantly face-offs(35%) in his few NHL games. For now he seems like he is a tenacious penalty killer, who pressures the point well and is responsible in his own end.
Comparisons:Valtteri filppula or could be Samuel Påhlsson?

Mark McNeill(1993)- 6'2 210 pounds, 2 way center, powerforward
Drafted 18th overall in the 1st Round

Best season: WHL GP70 G32 A49 P81( Prince Albert Raiders)
Observations:Mark McNeill has all the tools to be a bruising power center. He'll give teh hawks a legit fighter who can actually play hockey. He'll drive the net, make a soft pass, or wire one. Many weapons in his arsenal, his foot speed is the only real thing he can work on to be at an NHL level. Only real nock is his consistancy, but when interviewed he seems like he is ready to take the next step.
Comparison: Poor mans Getzlaf

Brandon Pirri(1991)-5'11,170 pounds, offensive center
Drafted 59th overall 2nd round,

AHL Season:GP70 G12 A31 PTS43
Observations:Pirri after playing a year in the AHL has gained a lot of strength to help him play with the big guys in the NHL, and be effective. He is less of a perimeter player than Kruger, but has soft hands,decent speed and shows more patience with the puck. He seems to have a knack for scoring, if he keeps progressing and showing he will get even stronger he will make the team sooner than later. He has more confidence offensively, and it shows, slows teh game a bit opening things up.
Comparisons:Sam Gagner,Marc Savard,

Would like to see your views on the following,(example)

1)Pirri-40-55pt 2nd line center
2)Kruger-30-40 point checking center (3rd line)
3)McNeill-50-60pt 2nd line 2-way center
Attached Images
File Type: jpg markm.jpg‎ (16.7 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg pirri.jpg‎ (12.8 KB, 198 views)


Last edited by DontToewzMeBro: 09-26-2011 at 06:40 AM.
DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:10 AM
  #2
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Typos are pretty brital dufe.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:24 PM
  #3
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Depending on how Bolland is over the next 2-3 years, I don't see the Hawks keeping both Kruger and Pirri.

Pirri vs Kruger I've never been in the "omg Kruger" camp. Pirri looks better to me offensively, perhaps even defensively too. He's had a year in the AHL under the watch of the Hawks managemnet. This will be decided within the next 1-2 years. 2nd or 3rd line centers for these guys.

McNeill vs KHayes (depends on whether Hayes plays center at BC) Similar big guys with some skill. These guys are at least two years away. My guess is that we get a 3rd-4th line veteran center somewhere along the way, perhaps this year, to help tide us over. Anywhere from 2nd-4th line centers.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
  #4
WarriorofTime
Registered User
 
WarriorofTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 500
There is hopefully a future for all three of these players on the Blackhawks moving forward with Toews locked in at the #1 spot and the chances Bolland might move on when he hits UFA. I really like Pirri, he's making it hard for the Hawks to cut him back to the AHL. We may see a lot of him if someone goes down this year. Hopefully the answer to the Hawks #2 center woes.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
  #5
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs
 
BBSeabs27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Brandon Pirri > Marcus Kruger > Mark McNeill

Thats where I would rank those 3 as of today.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:40 AM
  #6
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSeabs27 View Post
Brandon Pirri > Marcus Kruger > Mark McNeill

Thats where I would rank those 3 as of today.
Perhaps, but that could easily change quite quickly. Pirri seems to be improving, McNeill needs pro experience and Kruger's potential remains largely an unknown. IMO, these are 3 guys we should not package up in a deal, YET.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
  #7
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Dealing first with McNeill, I see him realistically developing into a good third line center; I don't really see second line potential in him. He's great along the boards, is strong and a hard worker which is exactly what you want out of a 3rd liner. I believe he lacks the vision and offensive instincts to become a quality 2C in the NHL. However, he is still very young and could develop, but realistically he's a strong 3rd liner.

The Pirri v. Kruger debate I find to be more interesting. I think that a lot of people were very high on Kruger and most people not that high on Pirri until this training camp where Pirri has looked MUCH better overall than Kruger did.

I believe that people were high on Kruger based solely upon word of mouth, Bowman's faith in him and wanting to believe that the prospect overseas they rarely see was tearing it up and was going to be great. He has not shown much, however, in his time in North America. It doesn't mean he won't, or if he played this season he wouldn't be great, but it means he is probably not as close as people thought he might be. I want to see him in the AHL this year on the 1st or 2nd line.

Pirri was someone I've liked a lot, especially considering his end to last year and the way his work ethic in Rockford is so highly praised by his coaches there. They love this guy, he grew up a lot and has a boatload of talent. He is not ready yet though either.

As far as the potential of the two, they both have second line center POTENTIAL; who reaches it (if either does at all) is anybody's guess. For my money, from what I've seen of their skills, I'd be Pirri is more likely to make it than Kruger. I also think he is further along in his development but the reason I like him more is I've seen the offensive flashes from him. He seems to have the pure talent that Kruger hasn't displayed (from what I've seen yet). I will admit to knowing way more about Pirri's play than Kruger's though.

So in summary...

-McNeill: likely going to be a good 3rd line center
-Pirri: Has the potential to be a talented second line center and is developing well
-Kruger: Has the potential to be a second line center but it's too early for me to judge the likelihood of him reaching that potential.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:48 AM
  #8
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
I believe that people were high on Kruger based solely upon word of mouth, Bowman's faith in him and wanting to believe that the prospect overseas they rarely see was tearing it up and was going to be great.
Exactly.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:02 PM
  #9
BBSeabs27
#freeseabs
 
BBSeabs27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Dealing first with McNeill, I see him realistically developing into a good third line center; I don't really see second line potential in him. He's great along the boards, is strong and a hard worker which is exactly what you want out of a 3rd liner. I believe he lacks the vision and offensive instincts to become a quality 2C in the NHL. However, he is still very young and could develop, but realistically he's a strong 3rd liner.

The Pirri v. Kruger debate I find to be more interesting. I think that a lot of people were very high on Kruger and most people not that high on Pirri until this training camp where Pirri has looked MUCH better overall than Kruger did.

I believe that people were high on Kruger based solely upon word of mouth, Bowman's faith in him and wanting to believe that the prospect overseas they rarely see was tearing it up and was going to be great. He has not shown much, however, in his time in North America. It doesn't mean he won't, or if he played this season he wouldn't be great, but it means he is probably not as close as people thought he might be. I want to see him in the AHL this year on the 1st or 2nd line.

Pirri was someone I've liked a lot, especially considering his end to last year and the way his work ethic in Rockford is so highly praised by his coaches there. They love this guy, he grew up a lot and has a boatload of talent. He is not ready yet though either.

As far as the potential of the two, they both have second line center POTENTIAL; who reaches it (if either does at all) is anybody's guess. For my money, from what I've seen of their skills, I'd be Pirri is more likely to make it than Kruger. I also think he is further along in his development but the reason I like him more is I've seen the offensive flashes from him. He seems to have the pure talent that Kruger hasn't displayed (from what I've seen yet). I will admit to knowing way more about Pirri's play than Kruger's though.

So in summary...

-McNeill: likely going to be a good 3rd line center
-Pirri: Has the potential to be a talented second line center and is developing well
-Kruger: Has the potential to be a second line center but it's too early for me to judge the likelihood of him reaching that potential.
Totally agree on everything mentioned.

BBSeabs27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:52 AM
  #10
krazyhawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal/Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Dealing first with McNeill, I see him realistically developing into a good third line center; I don't really see second line potential in him. He's great along the boards, is strong and a hard worker which is exactly what you want out of a 3rd liner. I believe he lacks the vision and offensive instincts to become a quality 2C in the NHL. However, he is still very young and could develop, but realistically he's a strong 3rd liner.

The Pirri v. Kruger debate I find to be more interesting. I think that a lot of people were very high on Kruger and most people not that high on Pirri until this training camp where Pirri has looked MUCH better overall than Kruger did.

I believe that people were high on Kruger based solely upon word of mouth, Bowman's faith in him and wanting to believe that the prospect overseas they rarely see was tearing it up and was going to be great. He has not shown much, however, in his time in North America. It doesn't mean he won't, or if he played this season he wouldn't be great, but it means he is probably not as close as people thought he might be. I want to see him in the AHL this year on the 1st or 2nd line.

Pirri was someone I've liked a lot, especially considering his end to last year and the way his work ethic in Rockford is so highly praised by his coaches there. They love this guy, he grew up a lot and has a boatload of talent. He is not ready yet though either.

As far as the potential of the two, they both have second line center POTENTIAL; who reaches it (if either does at all) is anybody's guess. For my money, from what I've seen of their skills, I'd be Pirri is more likely to make it than Kruger. I also think he is further along in his development but the reason I like him more is I've seen the offensive flashes from him. He seems to have the pure talent that Kruger hasn't displayed (from what I've seen yet). I will admit to knowing way more about Pirri's play than Kruger's though.

So in summary...

-McNeill: likely going to be a good 3rd line center
-Pirri: Has the potential to be a talented second line center and is developing well
-Kruger: Has the potential to be a second line center but it's too early for me to judge the likelihood of him reaching that potential.



Well said and spot on!

Just to add to the Pirri-Kruger debate.Imo Pirri is better offensively(so far) and Kruger is better defensively.

Neither is very good at faceoffs yet and that is a problem they need to address if they want full-time NHL duty.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:24 AM
  #11
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,902
vCash: 500
I also agree with MagicSlap. Kruger needs to spend some time in Rockford and show that he can contribute offensively in the North American game.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
  #12
DirkGraham
Registered User
 
DirkGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Irregardless of who is better, I see Kruger getting a chance before Pirri (based on his play with the big club last year). I think because of this, the spot is his to keep or his to lose.

If he doesn't preform well, then (and only then) will Pirri get a shot.

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
  #13
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGraham View Post
Irregardless of who is better, I see Kruger getting a chance before Pirri (based on his play with the big club last year). I think because of this, the spot is his to keep or his to lose.

If he doesn't preform well, then (and only then) will Pirri get a shot.
Although, there's no such word as "irregardless" (sorry had to say it) you're probably right. I'm not saying Pirrii is better at this point, but I'd like to see Kruger earn a spot and Pirri has done more in pre-season to get the start ahead of Kruger.





i

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 07:55 PM
  #14
ChiGuySez
Showtime
 
ChiGuySez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Im pretty big on Pirri and in his showing so far. Cant deny his GTHL numbers. Put those up against some top prospects AAA/midget numbers and it may be surprising to some. Hes produced at every level when hes moved up in class. He needs to bulk up more but that is also a function of time.

Hes taken somewhat of a circuitous route going from midgets to jr A instead of major jrs but then again, he probably wouldnt have been available in his draft year if he did that like most major prospects. He definately has offense. He needs to just refine the rest of his game.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 06:44 AM
  #15
Marotte Marauder
Registered User
 
Marotte Marauder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Although, there's no such word as "irregardless" (sorry had to say it) you're probably right. I'm not saying Pirrii is better at this point, but I'd like to see Kruger earn a spot and Pirri has done more in pre-season to get the start ahead of Kruger.





i
As much as it pains me and The Queen, it is now considered appropriate.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...h/irregardless

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 07:42 AM
  #16
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
As much as it pains me and The Queen, it is now considered appropriate.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...h/irregardless
DOH! The English must be cringing. My apologies.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 12:38 PM
  #17
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
As much as it pains me and The Queen, it is now considered appropriate.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...h/irregardless
It has to mean the opposite of "regardless" if it's a word, so their definition is a bit perplexing.

Yet another example of dumbing down the English language, along with "ginormous" and its ilk.


Last edited by pvr: 09-30-2011 at 03:59 PM.
pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.