HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Thorburn

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
  #1
Sunshine36616
Registered User
 
Sunshine36616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Chris Thorburn

I’ve talked about what kind of guy Chris Thorburn is on the in a previous thread, the “get to know your team” or something like that thread. He’s a great penalty killer and shot blocker who brings 110% to the ice every single night and won’t leave even when injured if it means leaving his team vulnerable. Even if he isn’t the best fighter in the league, he’ll never back down and isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.

I thought you guys might like to hear a story about what kind of guy he is off the ice. I think the fact that he and Eric Boulton continued to do those appearances here in Atlanta after the team was sold shoes he’s a good guy, but the run in I had with him this weekend has made him a favorite of mine forever.

I was one of about 75 fans that went up to see the preaseaon game between Winnipeg and Nashville. A friend of mine, her two daughters and two other friends drove up together. It’s about a 4 hour drive. We were planning on driving up, then driving back. It’s a long hard day, but doable. We were all on the glass for warm ups, kind of a confusing and gut wrenching experience. Thorburn was skating around near us so we were banging on the glass for him. He smiled and gave us a stick tap. (nothing bettr than the stick tap lol) He was actually the only acknowledgement I saw anyone get. Some fans complained the guys were cold, but it didn’t really bother me. They are in the zone, plus they’ve never been really warm about acknowledging fans on the road.

After the game we putzed around at the team gear store and then headed out. We are walking down the stairs and I saw a guy in a suit and I said “Isn’t that Slater?” (my old lady eyes weren’t sure) It was! Jimmy stopped and talked to us and posed for a picture, he was very nice. Then we saw Stapleton and a few others. We had stumbled on the guys as they were heading over to the hotel to change in to their going out clothes (they were hitting the bars). We saw a gaggle of players. The girls got their pictures with Evander Kane, Chris Mason (who was very nice to them), and Stapleton. A few of the guys looked annoyed at best, a few looked like they wanted to run. That made me kind of chuckle. You are annoyed by 30 seconds of taking a picture with 2 little girls? Wait till you try bar hopping in the Peg!

So Chris Thorburn comes out and actually walks TOWARDS us. We were leaving as we had that long drive home. We walked back towards him and spoke with him. He stood there talking to us for probably close to 5 minutes. He said he was glad to see us and thanked us for making the drive. My friend said “well, this is the only home game we can see.” He looked sad and said that he hated that for us. He said it was already getting cool in Winnipeg. He asked if we were staying in town. When we said we were driving back, he told us to be careful. My friend is a big Eric Boulton fan and she joked about them both wearing the same number this year. He laughed and said Boultsie was copying him. We wished him good luck in Winnipeg. He thanked us. He took a picture with the girls and headed off for the clubs.

I just thought I’d share our little run in. You guys are getting a real gem with this guy, on and off the ice. I can’t say enough good things about him. He really gets how to be excited he is going to a new large fan base without forgetting the fans that got left behind.



Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:37 AM
  #2
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,919
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
That's awesome. I saw him at Walmart buying some stuff and nobody really recognized him yet. I just gave him a knowing nod and he smiled back. Didn't want to draw attention to him while shopping. It's not often I see guys as tall as I am, haha.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
  #3
bigplay41
BIG MEECH
 
bigplay41's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I’ve talked about what kind of guy Chris Thorburn is on the in a previous thread, the “get to know your team” or something like that thread. He’s a great penalty killer and shot blocker who brings 110% to the ice every single night and won’t leave even when injured if it means leaving his team vulnerable. Even if he isn’t the best fighter in the league, he’ll never back down and isn’t afraid to drop the gloves.

I thought you guys might like to hear a story about what kind of guy he is off the ice. I think the fact that he and Eric Boulton continued to do those appearances here in Atlanta after the team was sold shoes he’s a good guy, but the run in I had with him this weekend has made him a favorite of mine forever.

I was one of about 75 fans that went up to see the preaseaon game between Winnipeg and Nashville. A friend of mine, her two daughters and two other friends drove up together. It’s about a 4 hour drive. We were planning on driving up, then driving back. It’s a long hard day, but doable. We were all on the glass for warm ups, kind of a confusing and gut wrenching experience. Thorburn was skating around near us so we were banging on the glass for him. He smiled and gave us a stick tap. (nothing bettr than the stick tap lol) He was actually the only acknowledgement I saw anyone get. Some fans complained the guys were cold, but it didn’t really bother me. They are in the zone, plus they’ve never been really warm about acknowledging fans on the road.

After the game we putzed around at the team gear store and then headed out. We are walking down the stairs and I saw a guy in a suit and I said “Isn’t that Slater?” (my old lady eyes weren’t sure) It was! Jimmy stopped and talked to us and posed for a picture, he was very nice. Then we saw Stapleton and a few others. We had stumbled on the guys as they were heading over to the hotel to change in to their going out clothes (they were hitting the bars). We saw a gaggle of players. The girls got their pictures with Evander Kane, Chris Mason (who was very nice to them), and Stapleton. A few of the guys looked annoyed at best, a few looked like they wanted to run. That made me kind of chuckle. You are annoyed by 30 seconds of taking a picture with 2 little girls? Wait till you try bar hopping in the Peg!

So Chris Thorburn comes out and actually walks TOWARDS us. We were leaving as we had that long drive home. We walked back towards him and spoke with him. He stood there talking to us for probably close to 5 minutes. He said he was glad to see us and thanked us for making the drive. My friend said “well, this is the only home game we can see.” He looked sad and said that he hated that for us. He said it was already getting cool in Winnipeg. He asked if we were staying in town. When we said we were driving back, he told us to be careful. My friend is a big Eric Boulton fan and she joked about them both wearing the same number this year. He laughed and said Boultsie was copying him. We wished him good luck in Winnipeg. He thanked us. He took a picture with the girls and headed off for the clubs.

I just thought I’d share our little run in. You guys are getting a real gem with this guy, on and off the ice. I can’t say enough good things about him. He really gets how to be excited he is going to a new large fan base without forgetting the fans that got left behind.



thanks for sharing that story with us, glad to see you guys came up to Nashville and supported the team

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
  #4
Jetbruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Very cool story. Thanks for sharing!

Jetbruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
  #5
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad
 
Gnova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Jetland
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 50
I hope the Jets play some exhibition games in Atlanta next year like Phoenix did to Winnipeg.

Fans deserve better than having their team pulling out from under them with no warning.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
  #6
Nothing Is New
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Thanks for posting that. Thorburn left Atlanta showing a lot of class and now he's showing in 'Peg.. Will be a fan of his (and Boults), wherever they wind up.

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
  #7
shoeshine boy
Registered User
 
shoeshine boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I hope the Jets play some exhibition games in Atlanta next year like Phoenix did to Winnipeg.

Fans deserve better than having their team pulling out from under them with no warning.
yeah, the "no warning" part was probably the worst of all. you leave the arena the last game thinking, "oh well, there's always next year." and then a few weeks later, "sorry, there is no next year and there's not a damn thing you can do about it."
sadly even if the NHL did an exhibition game in Atlanta I don't think I'd go unless I was sure that not one dime was going to end up in the pockets of ASG.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:48 AM
  #8
Sunshine36616
Registered User
 
Sunshine36616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
yeah, the "no warning" part was probably the worst of all. you leave the arena the last game thinking, "oh well, there's always next year." and then a few weeks later, "sorry, there is no next year and there's not a damn thing you can do about it."
sadly even if the NHL did an exhibition game in Atlanta I don't think I'd go unless I was sure that not one dime was going to end up in the pockets of ASG.
As much as I hate to think about money going to the ASG, I'd totally go. I know they sold the arena, but someone one of them has a bit of a hold on it, so at least they would be getting less money I guess.

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
  #9
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
I hope the Jets play some exhibition games in Atlanta next year like Phoenix did to Winnipeg.

Fans deserve better than having their team pulling out from under them with no warning.
God, I wish. It'd be so awesome to all head down to Philips one last time to say goodbye. Highly, highly, highly doubt it will ever happen though- TNSE seems bent on pretending there is no connection between Atlanta and what we now call the Jets.

Thorburn is an awesome guy, easily one of best people in professional sports I have had the pleasure of meeting. Love hearing the other players joke around about what a church boy he is.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:41 PM
  #10
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 12,064
vCash: 500
Great story.
On ice - One of the better bottom 6 in the league.
Off ice - Winnipeg fans got a great community guy. Along with Boulton, constantly went out of his way for fans.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:43 PM
  #11
Primetimey
Registered User
 
Primetimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
He said it was already getting cool in Winnipeg.
3C colder than Atlanta -- dam soo cold can't handle it!

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
  #12
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
3C colder than Atlanta -- dam soo cold can't handle it!
Yes I'm sure he was referring to this exact moment in time.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:56 PM
  #13
Sunshine36616
Registered User
 
Sunshine36616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
3C colder than Atlanta -- dam soo cold can't handle it!
It was almost 90 degrees here yesterday, I'd take Winnipeg temps about right now!

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:00 PM
  #14
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Highly, highly, highly doubt it will ever happen though- TNSE seems bent on pretending there is no connection between Atlanta and what we now call the Jets.
They are doing this how?

But nice story though Sunshine, thanks for sharing.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:36 PM
  #15
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!
 
broinwhyteridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,380
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
...TNSE seems bent on pretending there is no connection between Atlanta and what we now call the Jets.
Alrighty I'll bite... where exactly do you get this from


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 09-27-2011 at 08:32 PM.
broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:02 PM
  #16
Sunshine36616
Registered User
 
Sunshine36616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Alrighty I'll bite... where exactly do you get this from
I'm guessing from articles like this one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp13237


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 09-27-2011 at 08:32 PM. Reason: qep
Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:07 PM
  #17
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,134
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine36616 View Post
I'm guessing from articles like this one.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp13237
Yeah I guess thats one way too look at it

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:09 PM
  #18
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
They are doing this how?

But nice story though Sunshine, thanks for sharing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDz View Post
Alrighty I'll bite... where exactly do you get this from
Wow, no idea, I could've sworn I read a press release or two that hilariously excluded mentioning the franchises' origins, but I can't find them now and might just be crazy. Either way I'd love to be wrong and see TNSE do *something* to build a bridge to all of the Jets fans here. Preseason game, mural in the arena, whatever.


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 09-28-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: qep
DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:23 PM
  #19
Guerzy
Serenity
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 200
Just a friendly note that this thread isn't going to become a rehashed discussion on Atlanta to Winnipeg and all what we believe is right and wrong in how it occured and how it was handled. We had the transition period and we've also discussed many of these issues in great length.

Carry on.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:30 PM
  #20
Sunshine36616
Registered User
 
Sunshine36616's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,042
vCash: 500
A preseason game would be awesome!

Sunshine36616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:16 PM
  #21
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller
 
ps241's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,128
vCash: 500
Great story Sunshine and thanks for sharing

A buddy of mine met Thorburn in the Peg and said he was a great guy!!

Word will get around fast and he will be a fan favorite.....everyone likes the team first fan friendly types

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:42 PM
  #22
Hammer Slammer
Moderator
 
Hammer Slammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,919
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
Wow, no idea, I could've sworn I read a press release or two that hilariously excluded mentioning the franchises' origins, but I can't find them now and might just be crazy. Either way I'd love to be wrong and see TNSE do *something* to build a bridge to all of the Jets fans here. Preseason game, mural in the arena, whatever.
It's like when I say to my girlfriend "you do that all the time" and can't come up with an example. Haha.

A pre-season game over there would be nice. Maybe even once a year or something. At least us Jets fans had an entire year when we knew the team would be moving (although we thought it was to Minnesota for most of it), you guys got the team ripped away with little warning. Sucks.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:44 AM
  #23
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Still one of my favourite guys on the team. I've met him, his wife and their son many times and I've become friends with them. Chris is one of the nicest guys in hockey and Winnipeg is already starting to learn that.


Last edited by Hank Chinaski: 09-28-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:01 AM
  #24
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
I wouldn't set foot in Phillips arena if they were giving away free dope and hundred dollar bills. I also think a Jets game there would be like rubbing salt in to a wound. I got nothing against Winnipeg or their fans, I'm truly happy for the team, but I'm still too angry and bitter at how this all went down.

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.