HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Clemmensen has knee surgery, out 1 month

Old
09-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Clemmensen has knee surgery, out 1 month

Quote:
We're hoping the Panthers will release the results of Clemmensen's MRI this afternoon. I'm hearing Clemmensen could miss at least the first few games of the regular season.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...#ixzz1Z4PX3BKk
GR moments ago on twitter:
Quote:
Actually, #FlaPanthers G Scott Clemmensen had knee surgery on Monday...
Says Plante may backup instead of Markstrom, likely to give Markstrom more AHL experience since riding the pine for the first few games isn't going to help him much.

Jonathan Huberdeau: 2013 Calder Trophy Winner
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 09:53 AM
RainingRats

Makes sense that Plante would be backup.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Georgia Panther

What UFA goalies haven't found a job yet?

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Georgia Panther

To answer my own question, according to CapGeek, Emery, Leclaire, Turco and Mike Brodeur are still available.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
I dont see Tallon bringing anyone else in until it seems that Clemmensen is going to be out for a while. In the meantime, Plante can be the backup and opening the door on the bench. But I'm glad Plante will at least get a chance to play a bit more in preseason and he deserves the right to be the backup with how patient he's been.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Erick

I don't wish injury on anyone and I hope Clemmensen is ok, but perhaps it turns out to be a blessing in disguise for the organization.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
Panthers Rock
Slumpin' Like A Soph

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
I don't wish injury on anyone and I hope Clemmensen is ok, but perhaps it turns out to be a blessing in disguise for the organization.
My sentiments indeed, no harm wished on anyone, ally or foe, but Clem doesn't exactly do much for us and I'd like to see what else we've got.

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:12 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
This.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:26 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
I don't see how? Markstrom will be back in the AHL, the injury doesn't sound significant, and they're not going to get another goalie.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I took this as not necessarily bad news. It really gives a chance for either Plante or Markstrom to really prove that they belong in the NHL by getting some decent playing time depending on how long Clemmensen is out for.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
RainingRats

I guess Markstrom could beat out Theo for the starting job and will have more of an opportunity to do so with Clemmer out.

Old
09-26-2011, 11:53 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

I don't think Plante would be better than Clemmer so I don't see how this is a blessing. I doubt Markstrom would make the team, he'd have to make it as the starter, they want him to play a lot of games.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't think Plante would be better than Clemmer so I don't see how this is a blessing. I doubt Markstrom would make the team, he'd have to make it as the starter, they want him to play a lot of games.
yeah - this isn't a blessing or... anything really. just a blip. they both (plante and markie) should get lots of time but markie probably could use more considering his ongoing adjustment to the NA game and injury last year. plante can afford to sit and luxuriate at the pro level for a few weeks if necessary, maybe getting a start if the absence is extended. i don't like casting aspersions on clemmer - he is what he is and he does give us a solid pro backup (not nothing).

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Acadmus

Well, at least if the Panthers need to sign a veteran backup, at least they have plenty of cap space left.

09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I don't see how? Markstrom will be back in the AHL, the injury doesn't sound significant, and they're not going to get another goalie.
Clemmensen's not irreplaceable, and it gives Plante a chance to get some games in the NHL.

We'll finally get to somewhat see what we have in him.

Even if he's not a part of the future plans, perhaps some other teams will gain an interest after watching him play.

There were times last year when he outplayed Markstrom by a fair margin in the AHL for a horrible Rochester team.

Perhaps he can do something with the chance he'll get in some games.

If he doesn't, we're just stuck in the same situation a month later.

I don't see much of a downside for the organization with this.

I'm also glad they chose Plante instead of Markstrom. Markstrom can get the playing time in the AHL, which is better for his development of course.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Erick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
I guess Markstrom could beat out Theo for the starting job and will have more of an opportunity to do so with Clemmer out.
I don't see that happening.

Old
09-26-2011, 04:08 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
To answer my own question, according to CapGeek, Emery, Leclaire, Turco and Mike Brodeur are still available.
Emery is on a tryout with Chicago at the moment. Is expected to get the whole game Friday before the Blackhawks make any decision about Crawford's backup.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Gudbranson4Prez
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
It'd be nice if they gave Markstrom the start tomorrow

Gudbranson4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

Im curious as to why the surgery happened now and not 3 months ago. Unless injury happened in the preseason i think the timing was strategic in some way.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 07:25 PM
I May Be Wrong
Could Be Right?

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
Im curious as to why the surgery happened now and not 3 months ago. Unless injury happened in the preseason i think the timing was strategic in some way.
Actually was wondering the same thing earlier. Why right before season starts, unless this injury literally just happened, it does seem suspicious.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:09 PM
PanthersRule96

Markstrom is NOT ready yet. I don't want to put him in at this point because even 3rd and 4th liners on NHL teams are better shooters than some of the best guys in the A or in the Swedish league. He's faced good competition to this point, but nothing like NHL top-notch snipers night in and night out. Plus he's a tall and skinny guy, so teams are going to look to get him moving and open up the 5-hole or try and get in his head since he's been rattled in games before (vs Canada lol).

He'll be ready to come up soon, but IMO there's no way that kid can be an NHL starter right now. That'd be the equivalent of what we did rushing Bouw, Weiss, and Horton. I'd rather see Plante (I think he's underrated) and what he can do splitting starts with Theo while Markstrom carries the load with a good SA team.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
See the other quote from the article:

"Clemmensen had work done on his other knee earlier this summer and had an MRI done Sunday"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Actually was wondering the same thing earlier. Why right before season starts, unless this injury literally just happened, it does seem suspicious.
This was Clemm's 2nd surgery over the summer so it most likely was something where the increased activity just required a quick cleaning up. Having dealt with my own knee injuries in the past, this doesnt seem suspcious to me at all.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:40 PM
King Panther
ElGrandeDbagSupreme

i think this is actually a bad thing. i was hoping there would be an early battle between theo and clemmy. id hate for theo to default into the job. i think a good healthy competition between these two is our best shot at making the playoffs.

the upside is this will give markstrom more of a look in the ahl for awhile. on a related but kinda side note, if markstrom doesnt pan out, the kings wont be able to keep both quick and bernier who are both signed through next year, so if by that time were still searching for a goalie, then that will be a good place to look as theyre both studs. hell even if markstrom is panning out id go after whichever one of them becomes available

King Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Holy Jokinen

Plante will probably back up Theo for the first month. But i wouldn't be surprised if they want to give Theo a night off, they send Plante back to SA and recall Markstrom.

Am i way off here?

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:17 AM
nhlfan9191

I don't know about you guys but from what I've seen from markstrom so far this pre season, he's still a ways away from being NHL ready. Theo's my favorite goalie, but I don't like the odd's of the panthers ending a ten year playoff drought with the team resting on only his shoulders.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote