HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PSG4: CLB @ WAS, 9/26/11, 7pm

Old
09-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
PSG4: CLB @ WAS, 9/26/11, 7pm

Video feed is live.

Caps' line-up per Katie:

Quote:
Forwards
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Semin-Johansson-Knuble
Eakin-Perreault-Bourque
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

Defense
Schultz-Green
Hamrlik-Wideman
Orlov-McNeill

Goal
Neuvirth
Vokoun

Last edited by Marshall: 09-26-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500
So why again is Hamrlik not playing with Green?

I haven't been following much of anything concerning camp.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
So why again is Hamrlik not playing with Green?

I haven't been following much of anything concerning camp.
Don't be a noob. Jeff Schultz fueled Mike Green's historic 2009 season. He's the perfect partner for Green!

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Love that top 6....I hope Knoobs works out there. We could use someone kicking Semin in the pants every once in a while on ice.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It's far from set in stone, but I would imagine the Caps are hoping Schultz can, and believe he will, rebound to +50 form. They place a great deal of stock in the effects of recovery from mono as the explanation for his poor season.

Not sure whether I buy it entirely, but I do like the top seven on this team, however they line up. I have no doubt that if the Green-Schultz/Hamrlik pairing doesn't work, Green will line up with the other in short order in October.

Nice to see the late pre-season weeding out of the prospects. Those three prospects they have in the lineup are certainly the interesting ones. Then there's Bourque, who seems to be positioning himself as a first or second callup.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:25 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

From Portzline's twitter and PuckRakers blog (CBJ beat reporter)

CBJ lineup

Brassard - Vermette - Atkinson
Giroux - Johansen - Prospal

as the top two lines

Other players going:
Forwards: 32 Cody Bass, 40 Jared Boll, 34 Dane Byers, 42 Nick Drazenovic, 23 Andrew Joudrey, 8 Maksim Mayorov

Defensemen: 48 Cody Goloubef, 29 Nick Holden, 5 Aaron Johnson, 3 Marc Methot, 4 John Moore, 44 David Savard, 51 Fedor Tyutin.

Goaltenders: 60 Paul Dainton, 30 Curtis Sanford.

For more potential updates:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

http://twitter.com/#!/aportzline

CBJ fans are expecting this team to get their butts kicked. We'll see what happens.

Any feed for this one?

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Getting the most out of Green >> getting the most out of Schultz.

There's also the possibility that they really like the veteran stability that a Hamrlik/Wideman pairing provides. Not sure that's really necessary given the TOI Alzner/Carlson should be able to eat (absent regression) or making 55/52 the third ES pairing.

Hopefully Orlov gets prime PP time as he did in practice.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjgirl View Post
From Portzline's twitter and PuckRakers blog (CBJ beat reporter)

CBJ lineup

Brassard - Vermette - Atkinson
Giroux - Johansen - Prospal

as the top two lines

Other players going:
Forwards: 32 Cody Bass, 40 Jared Boll, 34 Dane Byers, 42 Nick Drazenovic, 23 Andrew Joudrey, 8 Maksim Mayorov

Defensemen: 48 Cody Goloubef, 29 Nick Holden, 5 Aaron Johnson, 3 Marc Methot, 4 John Moore, 44 David Savard, 51 Fedor Tyutin.

Goaltenders: 60 Paul Dainton, 30 Curtis Sanford.

For more potential updates:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

http://twitter.com/#!/aportzline

CBJ fans are expecting this team to get their butts kicked. We'll see what happens.

Any feed for this one?
Thanks for the info. We think there will be a video feed at the Caps site, but note entirely sure. I'll post it when/if a link comes up.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Nicky and Ovie back together. No huge surprise. Brouwer given his shot on the top line. I have the feeling he's the one Boudreau wants to win that role.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:40 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I have the feeling he's the one Boudreau wants to win that role.
I think he's the one we all want to win that role.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I love seeing Semin tried at LW, its long overdue. It's a myth that we cant have a 2LW behind Ovi. Laich just parlayed that spot into 4.5. Versatility aside, he buttered his bread playing 2LW.

I am with Rak, lets try more Ovi at RW this year, as I want our offense to be much more dynamic then... everyone watching Ovi bust down LW.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Very excited for the debut of Brouwer. He should create a lot of space and time for whoever he's on a line with. That's one of the reasons I want to see Semin-Backstrom-Brouwer. If he can chip in 15-20 goals that'd be amazing, but imho he must stay in the top 5 leaguewide in hits.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I have no problem with Knuble retaining that role. Especially if Laich ends up staying on the wing. Brouwer in a more physical, checking role rather than cleaning up Ovie's rebounds doesn't disturb me at all. Wouldn't mind him in the bottom 6 playing a Jason Chimera-type role.

Long term, yeah, Knuble replacement.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

That's close enough to a full lineup. No Nash, Carter, Umberger. I'll find it tough to take positives out of this game if they lose.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:27 PM
txpd

if brouwer can score enough to validate playing on that line, fine. so long as knuble gets his minutes with semin and the pp to get his 20 + goals. i always find it interesting how disposable some fans think quality players can be.

knuble has 20 or more for 8 straight seasons including arguably his best statistical season year before last and a second half last season that was on the same pace. brouwer has scored 20 goals once and as many as Knuble scored last season never.
Yet, its out with the old and in with the new. Patience, please.

i am excited about having brouwer as much as most. i would not say that he is going to create a lot of space for ovechkin. teams will put three players on ovechkin. its hard to create space in space.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Even an old man like you has to realize Knoobs is on his last legs...

People simply want the new acquisition to do well.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Hey. OV made Clark a 30 goal guy, why not Brouwer?

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:22 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post

oops...it disappeared after i hit send. sorry

Last edited by txpd: 09-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old
09-26-2011, 03:26 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I don't think it's a new car smell affecting people with the new winger acquisitions, but expectations regarding age and decline driving thoughts on the three veteran RWs.

If Knuble is the best of the three, and he handles the minutes, and he produces, give him more. If he falters, they have the depth, there and elsewhere, to let other guys get a shot to produce with the same ice time. No favorites. Surely no one can fault them for following a results-oriented approach.

Fans become way too fixated on opening-night lineups and lines. They last about a period and then the line changes begin anyway. The position of the three guys in September means nothing.

Of course, we also sometimes focus on production to the exclusion of all else. What we sometimes call favoritism is a coach warming to a player who excels at the decidedly unsexy tasks and functions, like paying attention to all three zones, work ethic, and dedication to playing the system he's preaching. I'd say Knuble is generally strong in both areas. He's simply getting older and no one knows exactly what he has left in the tank. If he proves all the doubters wrong, that's great for the whole team.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:33 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post

what does wanting brouwer have to do with demoting knuble? i want brouwer to do well. i also dont think he is going to outscore knuble.

what is your definition of last legs? old or over the hill? what about his performance with the capitals has shown any degrade in his scoring? in 09-10, he scored 29 goals in 69 games. iirc that is his best goals per game of his career. when the team went defense first he scored 15 goals in the team's final 41 games. a 30 goal pace.

i dont even see erosion much less over the hill. knuble scored 29 and 24 goals his past two seasons with 8 straight 20+ seasons. brouwer has 22 and 17 goals and only 1 20+ season.

The caps need them both, but i would be careful thinking that brouwer is going to bring what knuble brings.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:37 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ill admit....Im a biased Brouwer fan, back from his days in Moose Jaw. I'm just expecting things from him in a potentially expanded role. He'd be fine in a bottom six role...but I honestly think he could fill those Knuble skates if given a chance.

Plus the idea of him on the opposite wing of Ovie...and the hitting that line would do...goosebumps.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:40 PM
wahsnairb

two top six forwards, two nhl defensemen (three if savard makes it like we hope he will), and our 4th and 5th string goalies thrown in with the fringe players against

Quote:
Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Semin-Johansson-Knuble
Eakin-Perreault-Bourque
Hendricks-Halpern-Beagle

Defense
Schultz-Green
Hamrlik-Wideman
Orlov-McNeill

Goal
Neuvirth
Vokoun

o u c h
please be gentle

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:42 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I don't think it's a new car smell affecting people with the new winger acquisitions, but expectations regarding age and decline driving thoughts on the three veteran RWs.

If Knuble is the best of the three, and he handles the minutes, and he produces, give him more. If he falters, they have the depth, there and elsewhere, to let other guys get a shot to produce with the same ice time. No favorites. Surely no one can fault them for following a results-oriented approach.

Fans become way too fixated on opening-night lineups and lines. They last about a period and then the line changes begin anyway. The position of the three guys in September means nothing.

Of course, we also sometimes focus on production to the exclusion of all else. What we sometimes call favoritism is a coach warming to a player who excels at the decidedly unsexy tasks and functions, like paying attention to all three zones, work ethic, and dedication to playing the system he's preaching. I'd say Knuble is generally strong in both areas. He's simply getting older and no one knows exactly what he has left in the tank. If he proves all the doubters wrong, that's great for the whole team.
all that makes perfect sense. i think people forget or dont see what knuble has actually done for this team. he provides needed leadership. they needed more, but that doesnt reduce what he brings. he scores the kind of goals that this team needed more of. thats why they got brouwer and ward. they needed more than just the one guy.

i just think a lot of people here dont know that he was the caps second leading goal scorer in the second half of the season last season. when they went from struggle to conference leaders. much of that time many were trying to give fehr his ice.

favorites? its not about favorites. its about results.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:46 PM
txpd

Quote:
Ill admit....Im a biased Brouwer fan, back from his days in Moose Jaw. I'm just expecting things from him in a potentially expanded role. He'd be fine in a bottom six role...but I honestly think he could fill those Knuble skates if given a chance.

Plus the idea of him on the opposite wing of Ovie...and the hitting that line would do...goosebumps.
i have no problem with brouwer and knuble on each of the top 2 lines. it doesnt really matter. knuble and johansson have pretty strong chemistry. they are a pair on 4 on 4 and the penalty kill. i almost expect that knuble may be where johansson rather than where OV is.

i also dont expect brouwer to be a trucking company til his shoulder is more comfortable. by the playoffs for sure.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I like Knuble and it sounds like he came to camp amped, and fully prepared from a physical point of view. I imagine he'll make a strong case for himself through the quarter pole and beyond.

Could he falter as the season continues? I think that's a possibility. Sometimes, his scoring has dried up, even in past years. He's getting to that critical age where players of all stripes begin to slow down.

Don't really know how it plays out, or how I want it to play out. I just know that I'm a lot happier to see the depth on the right with an aging first-line RW. He's due to slip, and in the second half, I'll be surprised (albeit pleasantly) if he's still on that top line.

What I really think the depth does is give Boudreau the ability to spell Knuble to ensure he's ready in April for the playoffs. Otherwise, burnout would have been a real danger.