HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames offer Kiprusoff 1 yr- $1.4 in arbitration

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2004, 12:46 PM
transplant99

vCash: 500
Flames offer Kiprusoff 1 yr- $1.4 in arbitration

Kelley counters with 4 mil a year.

Decision tomorrow one way or the other.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calgar...21/594871.html

Old
08-21-2004, 01:15 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Kipper shouldn't get anything over 3 mil. Yes he had a great run, but he has to prove it wasn't just one great year.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:18 PM
HuskyFlames

I think 1.4 million US for 1 year is a far deal. It is nearly a 100% raise plus if Kipper can do it for a FULL season then he has the option to getting another salary bump the following year and a long term contract. Such as 3 million for 3 years, etc.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Oiltalk

Any idea on how much money is left in the budget to have both him and Iginla signed?

Old
08-21-2004, 01:28 PM
HuskyFlames

The Flames have the following forwards signed:

Steven Reinprect
Oleg Saprykin
Jordan Leopold
Robyn Regehr
Matthew Lombardi
Chris Simon
Chuk Kobasew
Toni Lydman
Andrew Ference
Marcus Nilson
Ville Nieminem
Shean Donovan
Denis Gautheir
Rhett Warrener
Stephane Yelle
Martin Gelinas
Chris Clark
Roman Turek
Steve Montador
Byron Ritchie
Mike Commodore
Jason Weimer

The total for all those players is around 28 million US. The Flames payroll will be around 36-37 million which leaves the Flames around 8-9 million to sign both players and gives us 24 players on our roster.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:36 PM
johnny cool

Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
you have to think that regardless of what Kipper gets, they will find a way to sign Iggy.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:37 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan

The total for all those players is around 28 million US. The Flames payroll will be around 36-37 million which leaves the Flames around 8-9 million to sign both players and gives us 24 players on our roster.
If worst comes to worst in the arbitration hearing do you think the Flames trade one of Lydman or Gauthier for prospects/picks?

Old
08-21-2004, 01:39 PM
guitaraholic*

while I think Kipper is a potentially outstanding number one goalie in the NHL for his agent to ask for 4 million a year based on what he's done so far is, well, shameless. I guess there's no harm in asking, however. Still, does he really think his client 'deserves' 4 mill a year?

Old
08-21-2004, 01:42 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
If worst comes to worst in the arbitration hearing do you think the Flames trade one of Lydman or Gauthier for prospects/picks?
Personally, I don't think the Flames can afford to move Lydman. We lack defenseman that excel in puck moving in the offense area. Besides Leopold and at times Ference, our blueline lacks offense. Lydman won't be expendable until Phaneuf is ready to help out on the offense.

Gautheir is a 50/50 shot at being moved. He has been bumped down on the depth chart BUT he is also a ton better than guys like Montador and Commodore. Montador is a perfect 7th dman BUT I would not want him as a top 6 defenseman. He makes WAY too many mistakes right now. Comomdore has the strength and size to match Gauts on the blueline BUT his skating is just plain bad. At least gautheir can skate and keep up with guys.

If anything the Flames have too many forwards right now. I could see a guy liek Clark being traded (as he is now our 4th or 5th line RW, depending if Nilson plays the RW next year) and he is making $825,000.

Old
08-21-2004, 01:45 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
while I think Kipper is a potentially outstanding number one goalie in the NHL for his agent to ask for 4 million a year based on what he's done so far is, well, shameless. I guess there's no harm in asking, however. Still, does he really think his client 'deserves' 4 mill a year?
Based on what others goalies in the past have made possibly. He's just trying to get his client the best deal possible, as shameless as it sounds it's his job. It would be pretty sad to see a goalie make that amount after one year of good play, especially considering he played a little less than half of the season.
'

Old
08-21-2004, 01:47 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Based on what others goalies in the past have made possibly. He's just trying to get his client the best deal possible, as shameless as it sounds it's his job. It would be pretty sad to see a goalie make that amount after one year of good play, especially considering he played a little less than half of the season.
'
I recognize that, like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask but I personally would have a very hard time keeping a straight face while I explained to Sutter how and why my client 'earned' or deserved a contract of 4 million dollars per year based on one half a year and a playoff run. You want to know what's wrong with player contracts these days... demands like these.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:04 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The team came in with a low number, the player with a higher, and both expect and will accept a number somewhere in between. If the Flames asked for $1.4, and the player came in with say, $2.5M, and this was the number he really felt he was worth, it's not as though the arbiter is likely to just take that at face value... the decision will almost always split the difference, so the numbers put forth initially by both sides are overly high and low. It's how it works. No, neither side really believes the player is worth that much/little; it's just a negotiating stance, and there is a healthy amount of sophistry in the arguments that both sides make in the arbitration process.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:12 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Vokoun - 3 mill
Cloutier - 3 mill
Biron - 2.8 mill

Im sure Kipper's agent will be expecting that kind of coin.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:15 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
Vokoun - 3 mill
Cloutier - 3 mill
Biron - 2.8 mill

Im sure Kipper's agent will be expecting that kind of coin.
Except Kipper has NO where near the same amount of games played, NHL experience or games won as the goalies you listed. Hence, he is unproven.

Put it this way, if Nash contract was up this year and because he was tied for the goal race this year would that make him worth the same money wise as Iginla? I don't think so. At least not yet as he is unproven.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:23 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Except Kipper has NO where near the same amount of games played, NHL experience or games won as the goalies you listed. Hence, he is unproven.

Put it this way, if Nash contract was up this year and because he was tied for the goal race this year would that make him worth the same money wise as Iginla? I don't think so. At least not yet as he is unproven.
Difference being, Iginla has a Hart nomination and Nash does not. Numbers and achievements are king in arbitration and a Vezina nomination as well as the modern goals against record will help Kipper a great deal, especially since none of Biron, Vokoun or Clouts have a) been nominated for a Vezina, b) set any kind of significant goaltending record, or c) taken their team to the conference, let alone Stanley Cup, final.

While I don't think he's worth 3 mil+ I do think he'll get it, his accomplishments are taylor made for arbitration success.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:31 PM
guitaraholic*

Kipper has had what amounts to a great half a year and a great playoff run. If that is the basis for getting a 4 million a year paycheck then hockey is in such deep trouble that the owners should lockout the players at the end of the next CBA... oh, wait.... nevermind.

Old
08-21-2004, 02:54 PM
n00dles

It is Kiprusoffs last chance to cash in before a new CBA so I believe the negotiations might still take a while.

Old
08-21-2004, 03:26 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00dles
It is Kiprusoffs last chance to cash in before a new CBA so I believe the negotiations might still take a while.
it's in arbitration- it'll take 48 hours, tops.

my guess is 2.6 million - right in the middle somewhere. and guys like dipietro and raycroft will probably settle in a bit under that, around the 1.8-2.5 million dollar mark.

Old
08-21-2004, 03:30 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Given the Flames payroll situation, the Wiemer signing is looking especially ill-timed. The $1.25 million could make a huge difference.

Old
08-21-2004, 03:33 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Given the Flames payroll situation, the Wiemer signing is looking especially ill-timed. The $1.25 million could make a huge difference.
perhaps- but wiemer's contract is relatively easy to dump. i'm sure plenty of teams would be willing to add a guy like him at that price.

Old
08-21-2004, 05:34 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
3+ million
1.4 is sure a low-ball offer

Old
08-21-2004, 05:36 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:

Since when has logic played into contract negotiations

Old
08-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Super-Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
3+ million
1.4 is sure a low-ball offer
1.4 for 1 year + bonus' is lowballing? No, maybe if it was 1.4 a year for 3 years then yes. But a 1 year contract is just asking him to prove that he can play like that consistantly. Asking for 4 million is way too much for how much he played this season. If he played the whole season, then yes, definately, but he didn't. I think he'll get somewhere between 2 - 2.5 million.

Old
08-21-2004, 05:56 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
I've got an idea that will help the Flames win the Cup next year instead of "just" getting to the SCF, then.

Why don't you trade Kipper for Cloutier? I mean, you get something proven!

Old
08-21-2004, 08:31 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
I've got an idea that will help the
Why don't you trade Kipper for Cloutier? I mean, you get something proven!
Hey now, cheap shot.

Closed Thread