HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Injury Thread - Higgins D2D (hand), Booth 1 week away from practicing

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2011, 02:47 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Yes. When you rehab an injury and come back too soon, there are things you can't physically do. I can guarantee you that in retrospect, noone ever wishes they stayed out LESS time, but you hear many pros say 'well maybe I came back too soon'.

All the doctor is going to do is some scans (if it's not still torn, they will be negative) and the trainer will do some functional tests. He'll ask you if it hurts. This is where you lie, and you can play again.

Again, look at how Crosby has looked now that he's back and they took extra time with him. The timing and feel he retained is unusual but physically and in terms of where he fits in the Penguins scheme, he is 100%. Those practices accomplish things that are really important - otherwise why have practice at all? I don't think you all understand that.

I just think it's silly of you guys to discount the pressure these athletes feel to come back sooner. Assuming that a guy is 100% healthy when he comes back from an injury on these timeframes is naive.

P.S. Yeah I was wrong about Raymond and the LTIR, sorry, I just assumed.
My god, Crosby was held out longer because the nature of his injury. If it was a surgery he would have done no differently than Kesler.

And btw, what if Crosby had a horrible first game? All of a sudden it's deemed he was rushed back???

And our best course of action is to have our core players retire... Can't get injured then!!

One of the problems players have after a deep playoff run is the often forget the process the following year. They forget it takes them an entire season to prep for the playoff run. Maybe this is happening with the Canucks but it sure is hell is happening to the fans

Old
11-22-2011, 04:54 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
I know Crosby has only played one game. But he hasn't been able to prepare or train in a constant way due to the concussion, and yet he comes back at this insane level. Kesler has not had a single game this year where he has looked like the player he is before.

And please, of course I'm not saying we should bubblewrap our players. But you have to manage your assets and keeping them out longer is one way to do it.

Again on the radio today they are talking about Kesler still getting treatment for his injury. How are you going to play into 'game shape' when you haven't even overcome the injury you already have?

Also, training during the season is usually just to maintain the level of fitness you already have. Your off-season workouts are a lot more intense than in-season because you usually don't have time between games and practices and rest to get into the gym.

Old
11-22-2011, 05:52 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

Completely different situations.

Crosby has been healthy and training at 100% for the past six-eight weeks. He was extra cautious because that is the type of guy he is.

Kesler had only started skating a few weeks before coming back. His speed isn't far off, but his timing is. At this point, playing is the only thing that is going to help.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:19 AM
Wetcoaster

We should petition HNIC to do a special broadcast when Mason Raymond returns to action - if it its good enough for Sid the Kid...

And make sure "Macey" is interviewed by Scott Oake.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:26 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
We should petition HNIC to do a special broadcast when Mason Raymond returns to action - if it its good enough for Sid the Kid...

And make sure "Macey" is interviewed by Scott Oake.
Eberle beat you to the punch on the HNIC special.

Quote:
ebs_14 Jordan Eberle
Hordichuk told me today CBC was supposed to cover his return tonight but then Crosby stole his thunder

Old
11-23-2011, 10:23 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
You're telling me you actually think players are always 100% when they come back?
No but they are healthy enough to not do more damage and sitting resting isn't going to do them any more good.

Players learn to deal with their injuries and work through them. Heck I have a knee and a shoulder that will never be 100% no matter what amount of rest, rehab or anything else you could do. It is up to me to make it work as best as I can and not let the injuries affect my life. No different for Kesler or any others.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:33 AM
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba

Quote:
I know Crosby has only played one game. But he hasn't been able to prepare or train in a constant way due to the concussion, and yet he comes back at this insane level. Kesler has not had a single game this year where he has looked like the player he is before.

And please, of course I'm not saying we should bubblewrap our players. But you have to manage your assets and keeping them out longer is one way to do it.

Again on the radio today they are talking about Kesler still getting treatment for his injury. How are you going to play into 'game shape' when you haven't even overcome the injury you already have?

Also, training during the season is usually just to maintain the level of fitness you already have. Your off-season workouts are a lot more intense than in-season because you usually don't have time between games and practices and rest to get into the gym.
Let take a look. Crosby head, Kesler Hip. One injury the problem is the brain and getting it to where it stops hurting and the other is a physical problem with muscles, bones and all the rest that make up a joint. When Crosby's world stopped spinning he is a 100% physically healthy or as healthy as his body will be. Kesler may never be 100% with the hip. It may be a problem for the rest of his life. But at this point he is healthy enough to work at getting it as close to 100% as he can. Sitting resting, working out in the gym, or playing isn't going to make the injury regress so you might as well play.

If you are waiting for an injury to be 100% healed you could be waiting an awfully long time.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

No Ballard, Luongo or Raymond tonight. But all three could conceivably return on Friday.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:48 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
No Ballard, Luongo or Raymond tonight. But all three could conceivably return on Friday.
It's so weird how absolutely no one is in panic mode that Luongo is out with some mystery injury.

Pre-Schnieder/Lack years we'd be panicking like madmen and try to speculate on his injury in a 30 page thread.

He got injured and I barely batted an eyelash, shrugged my shoulder and said "meh." Totally comfortable with Schnieder in net for long strings of games. Calm, calm player.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
It's so weird how absolutely no one is in panic mode that Luongo is out with some mystery injury.

Pre-Schnieder/Lack years we'd be panicking like madmen and try to speculate on his injury in a 30 page thread.

He got injured and I barely batted an eyelash, shrugged my shoulder and said "meh." Totally comfortable with Schnieder in net for long strings of games. Calm, calm player.
Luongo's injury isn't mysterious. It's rib injury from the Islanders' game.

Let him bounce back at 100% and make Schneider look better. If Ginger Bricks goes down too? Then start to worry.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
That's surprising, I thought at least one of the 3 would be in tonight.

Old
11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Luongo's injury isn't mysterious. It's rib injury from the Islanders' game.

Let him bounce back at 100% and make Schneider look better. If Ginger Bricks goes down too? Then start to worry.
Well honestly even if he was out for a month or so I don't think we'd be panicking too hard.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:58 PM
serge2k

Quote:

and Crosby plays a semi competent team tonight and gets... 0 points.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
monster_bertuzzi

The powerplay takes a huge hit if Rome misses significant time.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:27 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
The powerplay takes a huge hit if Rome misses significant time.
At least we still have Edler, Salo, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and Ballard.

I mean those guys are no rome, but at least they have all played the PP in the past at various times (and put up decent point totals).

Old
11-23-2011, 10:53 PM
David71

poor rome. back on the ir.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
YogiCanucks

Please let Tanev be called up!

Old
11-23-2011, 11:21 PM
CanucksOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Please let Tanev be called up!
Pretty sure Tanev stays down for now. Ballard should be back soon and Sulzer is an option as well.

Old
11-24-2011, 01:12 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksOo View Post
Pretty sure Tanev stays down for now. Ballard should be back soon and Sulzer is an option as well.
My plea actually had very little to do with our injury situation =p

Old
11-24-2011, 02:04 AM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

Rome's hurt?

Old
11-24-2011, 02:17 AM
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
Rome's hurt?
Left in the first. Hand injury: couldn't hold the stick properly. Not believed to be broken.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:21 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Left in the first. Hand injury: couldn't hold the stick properly. Not believed to be broken.
Better be healed in time for the ASG.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Better be healed in time for the ASG.
Hopefully it will not cost him a shot at the Norris.

Old
11-24-2011, 02:23 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Hopefully it will not cost him a shot at the Norris.
If Lidstrom takes it again, well, I call conspiracy on behalf of the league. Rome earned that Norris.

Old
11-24-2011, 07:02 PM
OgoBoHo
FIRE BENNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Ah, thanks. Missed the game and was just wondering what happened since I never even heard he got hurt.

Closed Thread