HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Who Gets the last 4 spots?

View Poll Results: Who are the bottom 4 players to get starting roles?
Desjardins 95 78.51%
Mashinter 2 1.65%
A. Murray 97 80.17%
Sheppard 8 6.61%
Ferriero 72 59.50%
Winchester 29 23.97%
Wingles 52 42.98%
MacIntyre 9 7.44%
McGinn 110 90.91%
Someone else 4 3.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-26-2011, 12:24 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Who Gets the last 4 spots?

With 4 games played, we start to get a better idea of who will be on the bottom 6. We already know that Mitchell and Handzeus are locks according to TMac. But who is the remaining forward, for the third line, and the 3 who will make up the 4th line?

Accidentally left off McCarthy. Select "Someone Else" if he is one of your choices.

PICK 4 PLAYERS FROM THE CHOICES

Last edited by WineShark: 09-26-2011 at 12:55 PM.
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
KirbyDots

Add McCarthy, he has at least as good a chance to make the team as big foot or Mashinter and way more likely than Sheppard.

KirbyDots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Kitten Mittons

McGinn/Ferriero-Handzus-Mitchell
Ferriero/McGinn-DeJordan-Murray

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
hockeyball

I think the only real question at this point is will it be Ferriero or Wingels getting that 3rd line spot. Wingles is a little bigger, a little better defensively, and is putting up good numbers in pre-season. I think that has to give him the edge at the moment. He's also much farther away from being waiver eligible and seems to fit the 3rd line needs slightly better skill wise.

I think either player will be sent back down whenever Sheppard gets healthy as at this point I think Sheppard is DW's solution to the 3rd line issue.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
MetalMind

vCash: 2433
Ferriero-Handzus-Mitchell
McGinn-Desjardins-Murray

At least until Sheppard gets healthy.

MetalMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Jamie McGinn's going to be on that 3rd line. And that 4th line is probably going to be Murray-Desjardins-Wingels to start the year.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:43 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
McGinn/Ferriero-Handzus-Mitchell
Ferriero/McGinn-DeJordan-Murray
I think this is likely, maybe they give Wingels a chance to play a few before sending him down. DeJordy looks more confident out there and I really like Murray's game, I think they and McGinn will be a really annoying line for other teams to play against. Ferriero looks like he trained pretty hard this offseason, and he fits the scorer role well. He also adds more options for line combinations as he plays well with Couture, allowing us to role three scoring lines if we want to shuffle things up. I was noticing that the coaches were trying all these players on the PK, I thought Ferriero looked pretty good out there. Would one of the Worcester fans let us know who were the best killers last year?

Old
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think either player will be sent back down whenever Sheppard gets healthy as at this point I think Sheppard is DW's solution to the 3rd line issue.
Really? I think Sheppard is a reclamation project, if he does well in Worcester maybe he sees some time. His development was massively screwed up by the Wild, I think DW agreed to take him off their hands only as a gamble. Sheppard is a known quantity, a player whose so called potential has not even been close to matched but who with time could regain some of that promise. My feeling is that if the baby Sharks don't step up Doug Wilson's solution will be to trade for a third line scoring threat. He was even quoted as saying during the prospects tourney that we need prospects to step up so that we can make trades.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:01 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Thinking Ferriero earns the 3rd line spot for now given the long look he's getting on the PK. Desjardines I think will centre the 4th line and be flanked by McGinn. Wingles I suspect is going to be the other 4th line player. I don't think Winchester will make it.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Thinking Ferriero earns the 3rd line spot for now given the long look he's getting on the PK. Desjardines I think will centre the 4th line and be flanked by McGinn. Wingles I suspect is going to be the other 4th line player. I don't think Winchester will make it.
Andrew Murray is not going to be sitting in favor of Wingels or Ferriero.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Andrew Murray is not going to be sitting in favor of Wingels or Ferriero.
I agree, Murray has been playing a really solid game for a 4th liner. I think if anything they let Wingels stay up a few as a reward like last year. I really like the kid though, Sharks have a few good prospects that came outta nowhere again. Wingels was what 6th round? I just don't want him wasted on the 4th line, give him top line duty in Wor. Ferriero on the other hand can play in the top nine no prob, different role than Murray.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Really? I think Sheppard is a reclamation project, if he does well in Worcester maybe he sees some time. His development was massively screwed up by the Wild, I think DW agreed to take him off their hands only as a gamble. Sheppard is a known quantity, a player whose so called potential has not even been close to matched but who with time could regain some of that promise. My feeling is that if the baby Sharks don't step up Doug Wilson's solution will be to trade for a third line scoring threat. He was even quoted as saying during the prospects tourney that we need prospects to step up so that we can make trades.
He would need to pass through waivers it seems and I highly doubt DW is going to risk losing a guy he just payed a 3rd round pick for to waivers.

He might, and likely will get, a conditioning stint, but that is probably about it. We'll see him in the NHL this season, count on it.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
With Havlat in the lineup:

Mitchell - Zues - Ferriero/McGinn
McGinn/Ferriero - DeJordan - Murray

If Havlat is out:

Mitchell - Zues - McGinn/Ferriero
Wingels - DeJordan - Murray

(Ferriero/McGinn on 2nd Line)

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:32 PM
KirbyDots

Quote:
He would need to pass through waivers it seems and I highly doubt DW is going to risk losing a guy he just payed a 3rd round pick for to waivers.

He might, and likely will get, a conditioning stint, but that is probably about it. We'll see him in the NHL this season, count on it.
It was my understanding that he is eligible for being sent down without passing through waivers, this season only, because he missed greater than 60 games in the previous season.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:33 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
It was my understanding that he is eligible for being sent down without passing through waivers, this season only, because he missed greater than 60 games in the previous season.
I thought so to, but KDB corrected me awhile ago on the main board and said that no, that is not the case, he is waiver eligible. So in light of someone smarter about the CBA than KDB speaking up, I'm taking his word for it.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:51 PM
KpopandHockey
HFBoards Sponsor

Surprised Murray doesn't have the most votes here. He was great in last nights game. PK'd and was fast, he's everything we need in our bottom line.

KpopandHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
I thought so to, but KDB corrected me awhile ago on the main board and said that no, that is not the case, he is waiver eligible. So in light of someone smarter about the CBA than KDB speaking up, I'm taking his word for it.
How odd. He has a 2-way contract but is waiver eligible.

In any case, I think he'd only get claimed if a team wanted to mess with us. Doubt he has any value at this point to be a waiver claim.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Ginner
A.Murray
Ferriero
Desjardins

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:09 PM
SJSharks2010

Desjardins - Pretty self explanatory. There's no risk of stunting his development and proved to be a capable NHL 4th liner last year.

A. Murray - He was signed as a 4th liner so obviously the team sees something in him. From what Columbus fans say he's a great heart and soul player when healthey.

Mcginn - Do or die for Ginner this year. He'll get one last shot at the NHL and if he doesn't stick I think the team will move him. He's got decent offensive and defensive upside.

Winchester - He fights, isn't a liability defensively and has lots of NHL experience. So why not? I can see him getting a 500k contract for 1 year.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Winchester - He fights, isn't a liability defensively and has lots of NHL experience. So why not? I can see him getting a 500k contract for 1 year.
He's Eager without the pretty goals...

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Desjardins - Pretty self explanatory. There's no risk of stunting his development and proved to be a capable NHL 4th liner last year.

A. Murray - He was signed as a 4th liner so obviously the team sees something in him. From what Columbus fans say he's a great heart and soul player when healthey.

Mcginn - Do or die for Ginner this year. He'll get one last shot at the NHL and if he doesn't stick I think the team will move him. He's got decent offensive and defensive upside.

With Murray, they see a 4th liner who can play on the 3rd when necessary and the ability to kill penalties reliably.

As for Winchester, the why not is that he is a liability to have on the ice because more often than not, he will find a way to sit in the penalty box and likely way too much.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

McGinn-Zeus-Mitchell
Winchester-Desjardins-Murray

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:40 PM
BigDmitriy

Send a message via AIM to BigDmitriy Send a message via MSN to BigDmitriy Send a message via Yahoo to BigDmitriy
I guess it's 5 spots because one is for a 13th forward...since you wouldn't want kids rotting in the press box (similar to Braun on D), this is what it should be:

McGinn-Handzus-Mitchell
Murray-Desjardins-Ferriero/Wingels
Winchester

Whichever of the two doesn't make it should be sent down w/ Braun.

BigDmitriy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:10 PM
WineShark
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDmitriy View Post
I guess it's 5 spots because one is for a 13th forward...since you wouldn't want kids rotting in the press box (similar to Braun on D), this is what it should be:

McGinn-Handzus-Mitchell
Murray-Desjardins-Ferriero/Wingels
Winchester

Whichever of the two doesn't make it should be sent down w/ Braun.
I thought about going with 5 spots, but that gets into the other question of do we keep more defensemen because Burns can play forward in a pinch? I doubt we go that way, but wanted to focus just on the starting positions.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:18 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
I thought about going with 5 spots, but that gets into the other question of do we keep more defensemen because Burns can play forward in a pinch? I doubt we go that way, but wanted to focus just on the starting positions.
Vandermeer is the more likely candidate there, he can play forward or defense.