Notices

Steve Staios

Old
09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Steve Staios

Hey guys as an Isles fan I come in peace. As some of you may know we have invited Steve Staios to our training camp and has looked good so far. What do you think about him and what do you think the Isles could get out of him if he is rewarded a contract. We need a top 4 dman BTW. Cheers

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:32 AM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
He'll be fine on your bottom pairing for 1 Mill or less; but I doubt you'll like him all year in a top 4 role the speed of the game is starting to get away from him and he doesn't produce much offensively.

Probably a 15 pt player around even +/- on your bottom pairing helping the young guys in the dressing room.

Probably a near 20 pt but minus player given top 4 time and you'll be wondering why a few of his minutes don't go to someone else.

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
He'll be fine on your bottom pairing for 1 Mill or less; but I doubt you'll like him all year in a top 4 role the speed of the game is starting to get away from him and he doesn't produce much offensively.

Probably a 15 pt player around even +/- on your bottom pairing helping the young guys in the dressing room.

Probably a near 20 pt but minus player given top 4 time and you'll be wondering why a few of his minutes don't go to someone else.
/thread

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 0
Quote:

Probably a 15 pt player around even +/- on your bottom pairing helping the young guys in the
dressing room.

Probably a near 20 pt but minus player given top 4 time and you'll
be wondering why a few of his minutes don't go to someone else.
Thank you! It will be interesting to see what happens to him considering were loaded with bottom 6 dmen.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:18 PM
DouglasQuaid
Blabbed about Mars

vCash: 500
Quote:

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

DouglasQuaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 12:39 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Thank you! It will be interesting to see what happens to him considering were loaded with bottom 6 dmen.
Based on your coaching last year if he makes your team he'll prob won't see top 4; the kids will

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:53 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
I'm gonna go out on the limb and say this, he wasn't as bad as some flames fans made him seem, when he was healthy he was a serviceable bottom pairing guy

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:30 PM
CoRD
Shots Fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I'm gonna go out on the limb and say this, he wasn't as bad as some flames fans made him seem, when he was healthy he was a serviceable bottom pairing guy
I actually thought he was one of our best d-men when we acquired him from EDM at the deadline. He was a shot blocking machine, was hustling hard and even scored a clutch goal IIRC.

But he is slowing down, is injury prone and can take bad penalties at times. But for less than a mill on your bottom pairing he is a very serviceable d-man.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
He has nights when he looks like a surefire top-4 and other games when you wonder how he made the team.

I liked him on the Flames in any case, seemed like a really good guy. Should give the Isles some veteran presence. Best of luck to him.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 08:10 PM
neo45

Didn't like the trade but liked him playing with Babchuk for the most part.

neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:48 AM
Thumper17

Really slow and getting older. I guess he'd be ok as a bottom pairing or a 7/8 D-man.

Thumper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:13 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
The problem most fans had with him wasn't so much a critique of his game, but more so about how Sutter utilized him. After being acquired from Edmonton, he was actually playing beside Bouwmeester and on the powerplay. As a bottom pairing defensemen playing less then 15-16 minutes a night, he's fine. The problem arose when he would be playing 18+ and getting powerplay time. The criticism for that though, falls more towards Sutter than Staios.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:03 AM
flamesfan5

I have to say I liked him. He was for sure over paid but I like that he had heart and grit in every game he played.

flamesfan5 is offline   Reply With Quote