HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2011, 12:24 AM
  #376
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I still haven't seen a legitamate source saying that the "reality" of the Markov situation is that he is going to miss "serious" time at the start of the season. Honestly, did I miss something? All i can find is credible sources saying that he should be ready near the beginning of the season... But hey, lets ignore them and speculate.
There's no credible sources saying anything because Montreal is keeping this very close to their chest.

I mean think about it. Markov is a puck moving left handed D who has missed most of the last two years due to injuries. We resign him to a big deal, and a couple of months later we are told he has suffered a setback and he's gone on to miss camp and the preseason, and presumably beyond that. We then go out and sign the best left handed puck moving D left on the market....

Obviously there is reason to be concerned here about Markovs health.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
  #377
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
There's no credible sources saying anything because Montreal is keeping this very close to their chest.
Except for the fact that there are credible sources, including Bob McKenzie and Pierre Gauthier himself, saying positive things regarding Markov's comeback. But you and the other theorists ought not let that get in the way . . .

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:49 AM
  #378
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
We are not missing Hamrlik, we are missing a 4 years younger Hamrlik.
Exactly.. Hamrlik is on the decline and cant handle top 4 mins for a long stretches anymore, just doesnt have the same speed and stamina.. I could have lived with 1 year contract instead of Gill but 2 years was just out of question, especially at the money the Caps signed him.. I think, from what I saw at the camp, that Emelin will become a solid top 4 for us at some point this season and I think it was time for a youth injection since our blueline was getting slower and older.. So at the end, if Markov comes back healthy, I think we will be fine and Gauthier will look pretty good once again.. I definitively could see a Markov Emelin pairing works pretty well sooner than later.. Then you have Campoli and Subban on the second pairing, not bad at all if you ask me.. More skills, more speed and better offensive awareness on the top 4..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:53 AM
  #379
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,018
vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure during the pre-season it looks like we could use a few more people at every position. If we suck for the next 2 pre-season games and some during the season, then you might be right about Hamrlik, but I highly doubt it.

We'll miss Halpern. How can we be puck possession when we never start with it... ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:58 AM
  #380
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Except for the fact that there are credible sources, including Bob McKenzie and Pierre Gauthier himself, saying positive things regarding Markov's comeback. But you and the other theorists ought not let that get in the way . . .
PG has been very tight lipped about it. McKenzie prefaced his statement by saying "His understanding was" thus protecting himself. If everything was so honky doory, why has no timetable been given like PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER INJURY SPORTS?

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:04 AM
  #381
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
AK46
I'm not convinced. I think giving opposing teams a chance to pressure him on D will get a lot of breakaways. Maybe he handles himself well...
However is Campoli really and upgrade over AK? That can be the discussion.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 01:58 AM
  #382
Komarov47
Registered User
 
Komarov47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Helsinki
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,766
vCash: 500
I don't believe PG on this one. He say Campoli's signing has nothing to do with Markov or Subban's injury, and isn't a message for the youngster, and that it was a way to get better ---> Boulchit ! If PG wanted to sign a good puck moving dman he would do so in the middle of the summer where all the good players were still available.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:29 AM
  #383
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.
 
Dont Poke Subban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: North Korea
Posts: 7,336
vCash: 500
Is Yemelin really going to make the team this year?! His name is still nowhere to be found on canadiens.com while Campoli is already listed. It kinda makes you wonder..

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:58 AM
  #384
DJ Breadman
Registered User
 
DJ Breadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I don't believe PG on this one. He say Campoli's signing has nothing to do with Markov or Subban's injury, and isn't a message for the youngster, and that it was a way to get better ---> Boulchit ! If PG wanted to sign a good puck moving dman he would do so in the middle of the summer where all the good players were still available.
that's a good point

DJ Breadman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:19 AM
  #385
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I don't believe PG on this one. He say Campoli's signing has nothing to do with Markov or Subban's injury, and isn't a message for the youngster, and that it was a way to get better ---> Boulchit ! If PG wanted to sign a good puck moving dman he would do so in the middle of the summer where all the good players were still available.
What puck-moving defensemen were available in the middle of summer? It wasn't a good UFA year for defensemen, nevermind puck-moving defensemen.

Fact is, in my view, Gauthier was in a position of strength here. The team didn't need Campoli, but would certainly be a better team with him. As such, they had the opportunity to wait, and then get Campoli at a reduced rate (lower salary than the Hawks had originally offered him).

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:21 AM
  #386
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
PG has been very tight lipped about it. McKenzie prefaced his statement by saying "His understanding was" thus protecting himself. If everything was so honky doory, why has no timetable been given like PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER INJURY SPORTS?
Did the caps get your point across any better?

Anyway, Gauthier isn't any more tight lipped than usual. He actually did give somewhat of a timeline.

As far as why no exact timetable has been given: it has. It was said to be November from the outset, and now Gauthier has stated it may be sooner than that. With some injuries, it's difficult to get precise with timelines.

Don't you feel like this is nit-picking until you find a problem that was never really there?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:24 AM
  #387
keepcalmandbeninja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
from nhl.com

At the time of his acquisition from Ottawa (Feb. 28), to Chi, had recorded three goals and 11 assists in 58 games with the Senators ... Ranked third on Ottawa with 70 blocked shots and second among team blueliners with 73 hits ...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:25 AM
  #388
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,530
vCash: 500
Personally I am glad that Gauthier is making this move right now than later on in the season. There are 30 teams in the league (shocking fact) and all of them face injuries and would be in the market for Campoli, heck if MAB got snapped up by TB last year then what's so bad about getting Campoli for 1.75? It is clear to me that the Habs are playing all these scrubs in the pre season to nurse the regulars back from minor injuries. With the exception of Gallagher and some flashes from Yemelin and Bealieu I have not seen much to get excited about. AHL and ECHL pluggers in a Habs uni. This team will hopefully have some more offense with the addition of Cole and the maturing of Pacioretty, I feel we are going to need it. Getting Campoli might not be the end but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:14 AM
  #389
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
PG has been very tight lipped about it. McKenzie prefaced his statement by saying "His understanding was" thus protecting himself. If everything was so honky doory, why has no timetable been given like PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER INJURY SPORTS?
PG said that Markov will miss a few games at the most, what's not to understand about it?

FYI, McKenzie is very well connected and knows what he's talking about, he just talks that way as if things are never for sure, which is a smart thing to do, because you never know.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 06:16 AM
  #390
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Did the caps get your point across any better?

Anyway, Gauthier isn't any more tight lipped than usual. He actually did give somewhat of a timeline.

As far as why no exact timetable has been given: it has. It was said to be November from the outset, and now Gauthier has stated it may be sooner than that. With some injuries, it's difficult to get precise with timelines.

Don't you feel like this is nit-picking until you find a problem that was never really there?
Show me a link where it says that? I've asked other posters and nobody produces this link where it says Markov could be out until November. It was a time frame used for his other gimpy knee situation.

I have a tough time believing a GM signs a d-man to a 3 year deal when said d-man isn't going to be ready to actually play until November let alone be in game shape.

Those accusing some of theorizing are proving to be quite capable themselves. Just show me a "credible" link where it says Markov would be back in November.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:25 AM
  #391
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Exactly.. Hamrlik is on the decline and cant handle top 4 mins for a long stretches anymore, just doesnt have the same speed and stamina.. I could have lived with 1 year contract instead of Gill but 2 years was just out of question, especially at the money the Caps signed him.. I think, from what I saw at the camp, that Emelin will become a solid top 4 for us at some point this season and I think it was time for a youth injection since our blueline was getting slower and older.. So at the end, if Markov comes back healthy, I think we will be fine and Gauthier will look pretty good once again.. I definitively could see a Markov Emelin pairing works pretty well sooner than later.. Then you have Campoli and Subban on the second pairing, not bad at all if you ask me.. More skills, more speed and better offensive awareness on the top 4..
Well re-signing Hamrlik as the #3 or #4 defenseman wouldn't make him play long minutes. The fact that he was burnt out is because he was forced to play Markov's minutes and be the leader on the backend. He's arguably never been that guy - at least not for awhile. He's much more comfortable being a #2-#4 guy.

Hamrlik gets so much hate and he's going to prove so many people wrong this year because he's going to have an incredible season. Unfortunately, not with us.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM
  #392
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Show me a link where it says that? I've asked other posters and nobody produces this link where it says Markov could be out until November. It was a time frame used for his other gimpy knee situation.

I have a tough time believing a GM signs a d-man to a 3 year deal when said d-man isn't going to be ready to actually play until November let alone be in game shape.

Those accusing some of theorizing are proving to be quite capable themselves. Just show me a "credible" link where it says Markov would be back in November.
Sorry, but no. First, that's not 'theorizing' at all. It is at the very worst being mistaken, which is a far cry from speculation and fabrication.

Second, I'm not going to go and search for articles for you--especially not when you decide to come at the discussion like this.

The point in the grand scheme of things is that some speculate that Markov's a long way off when there's nothing to support this. And they state it as fact. And use that false premise to then make other assertions. And then the discussion unravels.

...

Actually, scratch that. I'll do a quick google search for you.

...

I find this amusing now: per Marinaro, reported on this forum, "Andrei Markov Breaking News Again: Next week, Andrei Markov will undergo surgery to his right knee. The surgery will be performed in Birmingham, Alabama by Dr James Andrews, arguably the most renowned orthopedic surgeon in the world. Dr James Andrews, has treated thousands of athletes. Andrei Markov, could be out as long as 1 year but is expected to make a full recovery."

The poster who responded first to that post? You.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29320287

That's December 2nd, 2010.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:41 AM
  #393
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Sorry, but no. First, that's not 'theorizing' at all. It is at the very worst being mistaken, which is a far cry from speculation and fabrication.

Second, I'm not going to go and search for articles for you--especially not when you decide to come at the discussion like this.

The point in the grand scheme of things is that some speculate that Markov's a long way off when there's nothing to support this. And they state it as fact. And use that false premise to then make other assertions. And then the discussion unravels.

...

Actually, scratch that. I'll do a quick google search for you.

...

I find this amusing now: per Marinaro, reported on this forum, "Andrei Markov Breaking News Again: Next week, Andrei Markov will undergo surgery to his right knee. The surgery will be performed in Birmingham, Alabama by Dr James Andrews, arguably the most renowned orthopedic surgeon in the world. Dr James Andrews, has treated thousands of athletes. Andrei Markov, could be out as long as 1 year but is expected to make a full recovery."

The poster who responded first to that post? You.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29320287

That's December 2nd, 2010.
This post made my day, thanks Mike!


JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:44 AM
  #394
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,198
vCash: 500
I think this signing sais they are not sold on Weber at all. Sign Campoli as a stop gap and good depth dman for a year and hope that Diaz adjusts enough to the NA game to be a starter next year. I don't think this has much to do with Markov as it does with Weber. Also Nothing Wrong with having to many nhl defenseman with the cap room we have. Good depth signing.

TheBuriedHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 07:53 AM
  #395
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
to be honest, I think PG wanted to be in a position of strength, not weakness going into the season.

Last year we got nailed with injuries on D that we had to trade players and picks for Plugs on the blue line.

This year we have

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Yemelin
Gill-Campoli
Spacek-Weber
Diaz-Woywitka

So at worst we are covered for 2- 3 D injuries.

I think Weber is on the way out tbh, Diaz looked much better in pre-season and Weber I think needs a change of scenery or a place where his role is more prominent. Right now hes desperately fighting for a #6 spot, and it makes no sense having 2 exact same style players on the same level of the depth chart (Weber, Diaz).

I think Yemelin did better than what people are giving him credit for. Give him time for cripes sake, hes coming from the KHL, he showed nice flashes of what we can expect, but its going to take him 15-20 games to establish himself, thats not asking for alot, and I am sure Campoli's signing is a mix of insurance, and Weber's plane ticket out of here.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:58 AM
  #396
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Well re-signing Hamrlik as the #3 or #4 defenseman wouldn't make him play long minutes. The fact that he was burnt out is because he was forced to play Markov's minutes and be the leader on the backend. He's arguably never been that guy - at least not for awhile. He's much more comfortable being a #2-#4 guy.

Hamrlik gets so much hate and he's going to prove so many people wrong this year because he's going to have an incredible season. Unfortunately, not with us.
Everytime someone thinks a player is too old, or has lost a step of speed people start calling them haters. That word is starting to get on my nerves. Hamrlik is in his late 30s - it's a fact. He'd play more minutes with us than in Washington - that's a fact. He will likely have a better year in Washington because of it but that doesn't mean he'd have a similar year here. Should I call you a hater for disagreeing with me too? Haha

It's not hate, people can have a different opinion, it's okay lol

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:01 AM
  #397
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
to be honest, I think PG wanted to be in a position of strength, not weakness going into the season.

Last year we got nailed with injuries on D that we had to trade players and picks for Plugs on the blue line.

This year we have

Subban-Markov
Gorges-Yemelin
Gill-Campoli
Spacek-Weber
Diaz-Woywitka

So at worst we are covered for 2- 3 D injuries.

I think Weber is on the way out tbh, Diaz looked much better in pre-season and Weber I think needs a change of scenery or a place where his role is more prominent. Right now hes desperately fighting for a #6 spot, and it makes no sense having 2 exact same style players on the same level of the depth chart (Weber, Diaz).

I think Yemelin did better than what people are giving him credit for. Give him time for cripes sake, hes coming from the KHL, he showed nice flashes of what we can expect, but its going to take him 15-20 games to establish himself, thats not asking for alot, and I am sure Campoli's signing is a mix of insurance, and Weber's plane ticket out of here.
Solid post and I totally agree. While I'm not comparing our D to Vancouver's last year I am comparing the situation. They had what seemed like the best D and depth defensively in the league at some point last year. Then the injury bug hit. I think Gauthier is just preparing for the worst. Remember 2 million at deadline is somewhere around 6 million in salary that you can take on. I don't doubt we could potentially land a rental!

Point being even with Campoli we could have the injury bug and still be a weak team even with that added depth so think about without.

I'm one of the few who thinks Woywitka does a lot of good things out there, but I most certainly would not want him in the line up for an extended period of time. If Campoli is the reason things like that don't happen then I'm all for it.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
  #398
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Sorry, but no. First, that's not 'theorizing' at all. It is at the very worst being mistaken, which is a far cry from speculation and fabrication.

Second, I'm not going to go and search for articles for you--especially not when you decide to come at the discussion like this.

The point in the grand scheme of things is that some speculate that Markov's a long way off when there's nothing to support this. And they state it as fact. And use that false premise to then make other assertions. And then the discussion unravels.

...

Actually, scratch that. I'll do a quick google search for you.

...

I find this amusing now: per Marinaro, reported on this forum, "Andrei Markov Breaking News Again: Next week, Andrei Markov will undergo surgery to his right knee. The surgery will be performed in Birmingham, Alabama by Dr James Andrews, arguably the most renowned orthopedic surgeon in the world. Dr James Andrews, has treated thousands of athletes. Andrei Markov, could be out as long as 1 year but is expected to make a full recovery."

The poster who responded first to that post? You.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=29320287

That's December 2nd, 2010.
So you found a link with a Marinaro tweet? Look.......I have politely asked for a link supporting this "Markov was not supposed to be back until November anyway" theory and I've gotten wise ass answers including yours. One poster was at least nice enough to claim he / she could find none.

Someone show me a "credible" link (not tweet) where it says Markov's prognosis is a year recovery - something from the good Doc himself or a club statement. Why should I have to find it when I'm not the one saying it was the case while others stated such as "fact".

I'll be the first to admit I've done a lot of speculating. So what is this board for anyway? Speculation and discussion? Others have "told" me Markov's timeline has been November and stated as such as fact - not speculation. So I'm asking for a link to support that notion.

I mean seriously - would you have signed Markov if you knew he was not coming back any earlier than November?

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:23 AM
  #399
Andy
Moderator
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,233
vCash: 500
Markov was speculated back in november because media outlets werre saying he would be out 10-12 months. He got injured in December. Do the math.

Likewise, go find me a link that said Markov was expected back my pre-season and opening day. You won't find one.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:24 AM
  #400
Ghetto Sangria
The implication
 
Ghetto Sangria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
So you found a link with a Marinaro tweet? Look.......I have politely asked for a link supporting this "Markov was not supposed to be back until November anyway" theory and I've gotten wise ass answers including yours. One poster was at least nice enough to claim he / she could find none.

Someone show me a "credible" link (not tweet) where it says Markov's prognosis is a year recovery - something from the good Doc himself or a club statement. Why should I have to find it when I'm not the one saying it was the case while others stated such as "fact".

I'll be the first to admit I've done a lot of speculating. So what is this board for anyway? Speculation and discussion? Others have "told" me Markov's timeline has been November and stated as such as fact - not speculation. So I'm asking for a link to support that notion.

I mean seriously - would you have signed Markov if you knew he was not coming back any earlier than November?
Is that a serious question?? It's Markov of course you resign him...

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.