HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Tusk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Woywitka could had been the 7th d-man. Why did they sign him as a UFA ? Mara is better and more physical.
I'm betting Mara wouldn't have signed a 2-way deal.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:51 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
My personal take on this:

They do not know when Markov will be ready, and they were not impressed enough by Yemelin, Weber or Diaz during camp up to now to put half our defense fully on their shoulder. And Woywitka didn't perform enough to win the NHL part of his contract.

If our defense looks like Subban-Gill-Gorges-Spacek-Yemelin-Weber-Diaz/Woywitka for a month or 2, one of the top 4 going down or getting sick would put a seriously unexperienced D on the ice. Campoli at least has experience, and from what I remember was not that bad in Ottawa.

Better for PG to plan ahead and get a guy while we have extra money than risk losing 4-5 games because of it down the road (which is more than enough to miss the playoffs) or having to trade another 2nd rounder. It's a 1 year deal, so it really has no implication long term either.
Another plus: If CC wants to stay in the NHL and make get a decent 2-3 year contract next year, this is his last chance. I bet he works his ass off this year.

Good smart signing.

bsl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Give Yemelin time. Remember all the dumb mistakes Subban made as a rookie? Not every Dman comes into the NHL like a Bobby Orr.
True, except PK was 18 and he's 25. Hopefully he puts it together. I'm just saying it's not a 100% sure thing he makes the team like many here seem to think.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:59 AM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
True, except PK was 18 and he's 25. Hopefully he puts it together. I'm just saying it's not a 100% sure thing he makes the team like many here seem to think.
74 is coming from russia, everyone here just give him time to adapt to NA hockey. Can some of you excercise a little but of patience please(not directed at you jigger) but to everyone

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:00 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Of course, PK is a superior d-man...

But Yemelin must adapt to a new hockey style, rink size, language, etc... Give him time. By mid-season, he should be allright. But don't expect anything near PK's skills and talent.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:00 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
How could anyone be dissapointed with this move? Our defense has not been very good in the pre season. At best. This is clearly a guy who turned off some teams by his attitude regarding the whole contract signing process. In terms of how he was regarded before this off season: he rewarded the Islanders with a late 1st round from Ottawa (granted Comrie was included) and he rewarded Ottawa with a 2nd round pick! The same value we got for the Wiz.

In terms of what he brings, it certainly wont be physicality. He is obviously replacing Weber. Yemelin has his spot down.

Also those of you criticizing Spacek are in for a reality check. This guy is going to be a top 6 defenceman. He looks faster out there and has always been a relatively solid player in terms of positioning.

Lets say that Markov is out until the All Star break - worst case scenario. That will give us:

Subban
Gorges
Gill
Spacek
Yemelin
Campoli
Weber
Woywitka

Mitera
Diaz

That is not very good depth and experience. I like the move by Gauthier, but I am worried about our defense.
Bold above: If Marky is out till All star break, he's probably **** ed. I'm praying he's ready by Nov 1. Otherwise it's not good.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:04 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
That's correct - that's what I think. It's just my opinion that Gauthier signed him based on strong implications he'd be back and ready to go.

And why did you omit December? Is that where you draw the line?
That's just crazy. There's no way PG or any sane GM would allow a player like Markov to walk just because he's going to miss a couple games at the start of the season and is back in Nov or Dec.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Crap. It would have been absurd to think Yemelin or Diaz was ready for a 1-4 spot if required.

Weber however has not grabbed that spot, true.
Can't find the OP, so responding to this one. Yemelin has clearly shown that he is ready to play NHL NOW. I'm sure he will be better with 15-20 games under his belt, but minus Markov he is one of our 4 best d-men right now...and he will surely get better as he gets acclamated, sending him to Hamilton would be a ridiculous idea. Not sure what games the clowns of AS were watching...

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:12 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

good move PG. We've added some depth, but more importantly, another canadian. that's the route to the cup. stock up on canadian depth.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I don't object to the Campoli signing as much as I object to signing, once again, a bunch of 5th / 6th / 7th d-men in Gill, Woywitka and Campoli to offset Markov's questionable status. I strongly felt the organization would have been better served to sign a legit top four d-man and they had the chance.
Agreed 100%. F campoli and F PG! I am sick of this team picking up a bunch of bottom pluggers. Where's angry Sal when you need him? The void that hamrlik left was not filled. Aside from subban EVERY other Dman is a glaring question mark. You don't win a cup with question marls and as far as i'm concerned this organization did not do everything it could to create a top level product. Spacek's contract should have been bought out and Hamrlik should have been re-sgned or is there actually someone who disagrees with that?

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Agreed 100%. F campoli and F PG! I am sick of this team picking up a bunch of bottom pluggers. Where's angry Sal when you need him? The void that hamrlik left was not filled. Aside from subban EVERY other Dman is a glaring question mark. You don't win a cup with question marls and as far as i'm concerned this organization did not do everything it could to create a top level product. Spacek's contract should have been bought out and Hamrlik should have been re-sgned or is there actually someone who disagrees with that?
I'm glad you're not the GM. Buying out Spacek would have samed them a grand total of 100k against the cap, and you have to pay som,ebody to replace him.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:26 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
I'm betting Mara wouldn't have signed a 2-way deal.
Of course not. But he would had accepted to be paid about 750K-1 million. Not the end of the world.

I was concerned about Habs defence last July, and the recent events are just confirming my fears.

We have two over the hill d-men : Gill and Spacek

One often-injured-not-yet-healed d-man: Markov (signed for 3 more years...)

One good one just coming back from an injury but signed for only one season: Gorges

Three unproven raw rookies or near-rookies: Weber-Yemelin-Diaz

We are left with one real stud: Subban

One bottom-line d-man: Campoli (Who had no training camp so far...)

+ some spare parts: Woywitka, Mitera, etc.....

The Hamrlik's departure is a killer.

Last edited by habitue*: 09-27-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old
09-27-2011, 10:26 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
So, who do you suggest PG signs?

Personally, I was hoping we could get Shea Weber for some mid rounds in 2014.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I'm glad you're not the GM. Buying out Spacek would have samed them a grand total of 100k against the cap, and you have to pay som,ebody to replace him.
Hahaha ! Someone forgot to do a little research ! Ouch !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
The Boston Bruins had plenty of question marks last year and won the Cup(Thomas espcially). They also didn't have the greatest defence in Boychuk, McQuaid and Ference. Not every team has 6 #1 defenceman

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
groovejuice

That's just the business of hockey regarding Hamrlik. Habs wanted him, but clearly opted to pass on the second year. There are cap space considerations with Price and PK, and for all we know they are targeting an UFA next spring. Campoli, for all reports, seems to be a good depth guy.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
That's just the business of hockey regarding Hamrlik. Habs wanted him, but clearly opted to pass on the second year. There are cap space considerations with Price and PK, and for all we know they are targeting an UFA next spring. Campoli, for all reports, seems to be a good depth guy.
Hopefully that target is Ryan Suter of the Preds, that of course if he even hits UFA. Flyers will probably trade for his rights

Old
09-27-2011, 10:39 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
lol Yeah, EXACTLY. His defensive cramps can get really ugly, although he can have periods of playing really strong too. He was only -3 on a really poor Ottawa squad last year, but, man, I have never been a fan of his. He does add more speed to the blueline tho.

I have no idea what the pairings are going to be, but I can foresee something like:

Gorges - Subban
Gill - Weber
Campoli - Emelin

Spacek

Or maybe:

Gill - Subban, Campoli - Gorges, Spacek - Emelin/Weber.
Yeah he made a mistake, wow. And by the way, there are not many guys who could have picked that puck out of the air like Burroughs did.

That was a super super play by Burroughs, not just a **** up by CC. Get real.

1 time out of 50 that puck gets gloved down.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:41 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
The usual argument.

Gill and Spacek will be gone (6 million at least available). Campoli, A.K. and Gorges will be UFA as well.

Old
09-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Everytime someone thinks a player is too old, or has lost a step of speed people start calling them haters. That word is starting to get on my nerves. Hamrlik is in his late 30s - it's a fact. He'd play more minutes with us than in Washington - that's a fact. He will likely have a better year in Washington because of it but that doesn't mean he'd have a similar year here. Should I call you a hater for disagreeing with me too? Haha

It's not hate, people can have a different opinion, it's okay lol
Well considering I didn't say "haters", I don't see how I was adding any fuel to the fire, but okay.

Hawkguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
This is not about saving money. This is about signing the better player! This team WILL miss Hamrlik. I just for once want to have a team that I am confident in that can compete at a high level. So he wanted a 2 year contract instead of 1, so what! How about rewarding the man who carried this team for the past 2 years. It wouldn't have cost you a pick and you know you'll be getting solid defense and good leadership.

You can't just all of a sudden get lazy in a 5 year re-build plan if it is to succeed. You have to stay committed. As far as I'm concerned washington did what they had to do to address their issues... they shored up their D and got a better goalie. Watch out!

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:48 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Well considering I didn't say "haters", I don't see how I was adding any fuel to the fire, but okay.
Just ignore him, he's a known hater around these parts

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:52 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
This is not about saving money. This is about signing the better player! This team WILL miss Hamrlik. I just for once want to have a team that I am confident in that can compete at a high level. So he wanted a 2 year contract instead of 1, so what! How about rewarding the man who carried this team for the past 2 years. It wouldn't have cost you a pick and you know you'll be getting solid defense and good leadership.

You can't just all of a sudden get lazy in a 5 year re-build plan if it is to succeed. You have to stay committed. As far as I'm concerned washington did what they had to do to address their issues... they shored up their D and got a better goalie. Watch out!
you know Campoli cost the Habs a grand total of 0 picks, right ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know Campoli cost the Habs a grand total of 0 picks, right ?
You do know people need something to complain about right?

Old
09-27-2011, 10:55 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You do know people need something to complain about right?
haha, didnt know that, thanks for the heads up!

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote