HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Signs Chris Campoli..1 year/1.75M

Old
09-27-2011, 11:06 AM
tollb2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You do know people need something to complain about right?
this .. i don't mind the contract at all ,

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

We acquired a depth defenseman to a solid 1 year deal while giving up nothing and some people are actually pissed?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
We acquired a depth defenseman to a solid 1 year deal while giving up nothing and some people are actually pissed?
Yes they were hoping to acquire more Lidstrom or Shea Weber for league minimum

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Quote:

Come on in, it's HFBoards.com

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:13 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
This is not about saving money. This is about signing the better player! This team WILL miss Hamrlik. I just for once want to have a team that I am confident in that can compete at a high level. So he wanted a 2 year contract instead of 1, so what! How about rewarding the man who carried this team for the past 2 years. It wouldn't have cost you a pick and you know you'll be getting solid defense and good leadership.

You can't just all of a sudden get lazy in a 5 year re-build plan if it is to succeed. You have to stay committed. As far as I'm concerned washington did what they had to do to address their issues... they shored up their D and got a better goalie. Watch out!
And why would we be worried about a team that plays in a different division ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:27 AM
RandR

I was cheering for the Canucks in their opening-round series last year against Chicago, and was always glad whenever Campoli was on the ice because he was a defensive liability and was a glaring example of the main reason (lack of depth both on forward lines and defense) that the Hawks lost. And sure enough it was Campoli that coughed up the pick on the winning goal in overtime that gave Vancouver the series.

Signing this guy is not a good sign... it shows that not enough of the prospects the team has been trying out on defense this pre-season are working out well enough to give management confidence going into the season. If they end up having to resort to playing this guy with any regularity, then the Habs will be lucky to make the playoffs.

RandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I like the move. We need experience on the back end. And we might be able to exchange depth for a pick later in the year if one of our d becomes a victim of the numbers game.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Gary320

If it isn't Sidney Crosby or a guy rated 85+ overall on a NHL game. Then we must COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously... good deal. I don't think this has anything to do with Markov. It's a depth move. It's better than signing Paul Mara again.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:33 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
This board at its best. Grab the popcorn, and enjoy the ridiculousness of it all.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
If it isn't Sidney Crosby or a guy rated 85+ overall on a NHL game. Then we must COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously... good deal. I don't think this has anything to do with Markov. It's a depth move. It's better than signing Paul Mara again.
I used to be like that, searching for a 70-90 point impact player that I could go holy **** about.

Now I'm satisfied with anything over 55 to be honest. I can't expect us to find an impact 90 point player out of nowhere without a trade, miraculous development in prospects or drafting top 5-10 players.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
HCH

Of all the defenseman in camp, Weber has been the biggest disappointment for me. He just hasn't developed the way I had hoped. From my point of view, he will have to play RW if he wants to stick with the Habs.

I thought Yemelin showed promise and with experience should become a valuable addition to our blue line corps. But he may not be ready to assume a full time role just yet, only time will tell.

Diaz needs a little more time to become accustomed to the NA game.

Using Gill as a top four defenseman scares the crap out of me. Putting the slowest player in the league on the ice with our top two lines, which rely on quickness, will kill the offense. And his lumbering stride just does not allow him to get to pucks quickly enough. He should be pegged for 3rd pairing duty and some penalty kill.

With those question marks, along with the uncertain status of Markov, Campoli represents a reasonable choice as the team transitions. I would like to see Woywitka kept around too.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Not sure that most people are actually pissed but more perplex....In all honesty, and I love to use that example, if I would have put down a poll suggesting we'd get Campoli, just the name himself, I can tell you it would not have been unanimous. You would have had people talking about the fact that he was sitting on his couch as of now, that nobody seemed interested in him, that what we might need on D might be more solid defensive d-man with a nasty touch and all......

I mean, if the idea is to never complain because we get a guy for nothing....well might as well take Steve Bégin back....Anybody okay with that?

Seriously, I don't have anything against Campoli. But I don't have anything for either. If we would have to add another d-man, I might have prefered to go the physical route even if it means tweaking a certain deal. But true that the good of that "deal" is that it didn't cost us anything. So, that's good. Hey we never know.....But again, I know that Campoli was not on everybody's mind right now. Now that he is, we will get use to him. But people should be used to his deficiencies.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:48 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Of all the defenseman in camp, Weber has been the biggest disappointment for me. He just hasn't developed the way I had hoped. From my point of view, he will have to play RW if he wants to stick with the Habs.

I thought Yemelin showed promise and with experience should become a valuable addition to our blue line corps. But he may not be ready to assume a full time role just yet, only time will tell.

Diaz needs a little more time to become accustomed to the NA game.

Using Gill as a top four defenseman scares the crap out of me. Putting the slowest player in the league on the ice with our top two lines, which rely on quickness, will kill the offense. And his lumbering stride just does not allow him to get to pucks quickly enough. He should be pegged for 3rd pairing duty and some penalty kill.

With those question marks, along with the uncertain status of Markov, Campoli represents a reasonable choice as the team transitions. I would like to see Woywitka kept around too.
Good post. Agreed.

Jigger77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Well considering I didn't say "haters", I don't see how I was adding any fuel to the fire, but okay.
Well you said Hamrlik receives a lot of hate. It's not hating if people think he's too old to log that many minutes given our injuries. It's just their opinion.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you know Campoli cost the Habs a grand total of 0 picks, right ?
Keeping Hamrlik would had mean the same. 0 pick loss.

The re-signing of Gill was the mistake.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
gionta4life

Good signing. Not sure what everyone's complaining about, he's going to push Spacek out of the lineup, hopefully. He'll be a solid contributor to the lineup.

gionta4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 11:58 AM
neofury*

Hater alert

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

My only concern in signing Campoli is that Yemelin ends up in the press box. We have him for one year, to see what he can do and if he can develop into a #2-3 minute eating defenseman. Yes there will be an adjustment period, but it will be a long one if he only plays every two games and gets 10-12 minutes a night.

Yemelin has a lot of tools and upside...he is a guy that could be good in defensive matchups against top lines and still be a strong PP contributor with his passing and getting shots to the net.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Gill signed for 1 year. Hamrlik wanted at least 2 years. The guy is 37 years old (meaning, of course, a 35+ contract) and will be a 3.5M$ cap hit next season. What do we know about next season?

1. Hamrlik will be 38. Can't bury his contract, just like we can't bury Spacek's.
2. Subban and Price will be RFAs. Expect 12M$ / year + for both of them.
3. There will be a new CBA, who knows what the new contrat rules will be?

How can you whine about Campoli and Gill while pretending that Hamrlik is some sort of messiah?

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post
Gill signed for 1 year. Hamrlik wanted at least 2 years. The guy is 37 years old (meaning, of course, a 35+ contract) and will be a 3.5M$ cap hit next season. What do we know about next season?

1. Hamrlik will be 38. Can't bury his contract, just like we can't bury Spacek's.

How can you whine about Campoli and Gill while pretending that Hamrlik is some sort of messiah?
Another strike against 2 years for Hamrlik is guys like Yemelin, Weber and Diaz might force their way into full time top 6 guys for 11-12 along with Subban Markov Gorges and co.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketzlaf View Post

Hamrlik has proven that he can give you quality minutes and leadership on the back end. He saved Habs ass twice in the last two seasons with Markov away.

And I am sick and tired hearing the Price/Subban RFA status.

Gill, Spacek, Campoli, Gorges, A.K. will all be UFA next July. Lots of $$$ to play with. price is already making over 3 million. His salary, even if it's doubling, is not the end of the world. It is Spacek's salary.

The cap is getting higher each and every single season since 2004.

You have to win now in modern NHL. Not in 3 or 4 years.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Hamrlik has proven that he can give you quality minutes and leadership on the back end. He saved Habs ass twice in the last two seasons with Markov away.

Gill, Spacek, Campoli, Gorges, A.K. will all be UFA next July. Lots of $$$ to play with. price is already making over 3 million. His salary, even if it's doubling, is not the end of the world. It is Spacek's salary.

I have no problem re signing Hamrlik, but the 2 year thing was a deal breaker IMHO. As much as I like him, no way I'd want to get in another 35+ contract with an aging d-man.

Old
09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

Hamrlik is 2 years at 3.5m per. Campoli is 1 year at 1.75.

It's not as simple as taking out one and inserting the other like you're playing Be a GM mode on your Xbox.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Ketzlaf

Quote:

You have to win ''now'' when you have the team to do so. Win ''now'' applies to the Canucks, to last year's Flyers, to this year's Sabres. Sharks may have missed their shot. Win ''now'' applis to the Caps this year. The Habs are not there yet. Thankfully, they aren't loading up on 37+ year olds in the hopes to get there.

The top 4 is locked in for 3-4 years. The important youth is signed or will be signed for at least that long (Price, Subban, Desharnais). Markov is locked in for 3 years. The Habs window looks to be opening up in the next few years with an expiry in 3-4 years. If guys like Pacioretty, Eller, Kristo, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher, Dumont, White, Yemelin, Leblanc, Nash, Engqvist and others can really come of age within the next 3 years, we might have a good shot.

As for the cap always going up, you can bet your life savings that the owners will fight to the death to stop that trend. The next CBA negociation is more serious than you think. Ask the NFL and NBA...

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Andy

Should I go dig up the hamrlik being offered a contract thread earlier this summer?

It's crazy how many people have changed their opinions of him with one signing.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote